Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Poll: Would you be happy to see The Sims evolving even if your system couldn't run it anymore?

SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
I previously made a thread on this topic but a lot of people didn't understand what I was asking, maybe I didn't get my point across correctly.

Let's all imagine the Sims 5 came out tomorrow and EA decided not to hold back a bit and filled the game with new features that may be demanding for low spec PCs but actually make the game more enjoyable and expansive e.x. better graphics, less fake buildings and set pieces and more real ones, better Sim AI, open world etc.
Then you start to realize your PC cannot handle the game at all and you need to upgrade. Would you feel entitled to a game your PC or laptop could run and complain about the new features or would you be happy to see The Sims Series evolving and getting better?
Maybe if you have the money, would you consider upgrading so you can continue to execute your hobby?

I'm asking this because I realized The Sims Community is one of the (not many) communities that has a pretty big amount of people oppposing to demanding features because they refuse to upgrade their hardware. Some even go as far as to say the don't want The Sims 5 to be more expansive because what if their laptop can't run it?
This is something that rarely happens in other game communities and EA has certainly has noticed and decided to build The Sims 4 in a way that limits the experience but is more accessible to people who don't want/don't have money to invest in their hobby.
Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
Post edited by SimmerGeorge on

Poll: Would you be happy to see The Sims evolving even if your system couldn't run it anymore? 154 votes

I would be glad to see The Sims series evolve and I would upgrade my hardware if I needed to
61% 94 votes
I would stop playing the game but I would still be happy that it is becoming better
3% 6 votes
I would prefer new Sims games to offer a more limited experience because I don't want/can upgrade my hardware
9% 14 votes
The Sims is not a game worth upgrading for
0% 0 votes
I would keep playing older Sims games and let the rest enjoy the new ones
14% 23 votes
Other (please explain in the comments)
11% 17 votes

Comments

• DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    edited June 2020
    I'll post it here again, since you closed the other thread and I replied to the newly worded question.

Why would someone want a 'better' game if they couldn't run it? That doesn't add anything for the person in question. They just couldn't play their game of choice anymore. I think most people don't want to be obligated to buy a computer costing thousands of dollars if they barely have money to feed their kids and their only form of relaxation and escapism is Sims. And I feel like The Sims is a franchise that has a community filled with people who ONLY play The Sims and no other games. I can imagine how it's hard to justify such a huge purchase to yourself if you have other obligations (being an adult) for one game.

I think it should keep catering to people with lower specs even if I do have a computer with higher specs because I care about community and sharing my game and this passion with others and the community would be severely limited if the game only catered towards people with a high-end computer.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I play older games anyway. I may research the new iteration for at least 1 year to see if it is even worth my money. Personally, the innovations that they could implement are ones I believe I would steer me to not buy the game.
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited June 2020
    Eventually I'd end up getting a better laptop and the game.

BTW, TS4 runs on almost everything and the reason why the devs decided to do so is that the game is more accessible for EVERYONE.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited June 2020
    I would continue to play the Sims version that I can on my devices and upgrade my devices eventually so that I can play the new boss version of the game.
  • KruegerKrueger Posts: 130 Member
    While I wouldn't be able to play the game immediately, patience is a virtue. I would just save up and eventually upgrade my hardware so I could play the more demanding (and hopefully, therefore, better) game. Ultimately I would rather wait a little while for something better than immediately get something worse.
  • Marduc_PlaysMarduc_Plays Posts: 416 Member
    No, i wouldn't.
    Parcour - the art of jumping to conclusions.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited June 2020
    hmm well let's put it this way

1. I don't really care if ts5 is low spec or high spec because if its too high spec i will simply not buy it and keep playing older games

2. I would be angry only if i was promised low specs and game suddenly asked me high specs which probably would mean me not being able to play game i own which well is dumb as heck

3. I would not get new computer just for playing a new game cause i only change computers when the old one breaks so bad I can't use it for a thing

4. I don't think its really good move to make game super high spec anyway cause that means less people able to play it which is just sad
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    I can't afford a new hardware set up, as simple as that.

That being said, I more than meet the requirements for The Sims 4, but it's near unplayable for the last 4 years for me. I don't care about the spec requirements in the next iteration, I would just like for EA to make a bug free well running game.

Also, I've heard that EA games are slowly coming to Nvidia Geforce Now and having tried it on more demanding titles, I think it would solve the hardware issue entirely.
  • DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,179 Member
    I'm a PC gamer specifically for Sims 3. Was playing Sims 2 on an old 2003 emachines desktop, had no chance in hell playing Sims 3 since even Sims 2 was giving this computer a hard time and bought myself a nice gaming PC for Sims 3. It was enough for me to play the ever loving hell out of Sims 3 and then go around and start playing other PC games. So yeah I'd gladly upgrade my PC for a new Sims game, did it before.
  • Wintermist_SWEWintermist_SWE Posts: 342 Member
    I always upgrade my computer quite regularly anyway. Gaming is what I do most of in terms of hobbies so it's natural most of my money is also spent on the tool I need to do it :P Same as golfers buy golf clubs
    You're Breathtaking!
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    I always upgrade my computer quite regularly anyway. Gaming is what I do most of in terms of hobbies so it's natural most of my money is also spent on the tool I need to do it :P Same as golfers buy golf clubs

I agree with that a lot. That represents my point of view as well.
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member

Gaming is my primary hobby too! Except that I wasn't doing good with jobs before and now we hit recession worse than 1930s. So, yeah. Thankful that I still have a roof over my head.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I would upgrade my hardware to play it if it deemed a game worthy of such an upgrade. I don't however need better graphics though as I actually prefer the graphics in the Sims 4 over hyper realistic ones any day. I didn't enjoy the graphics in the Sims 3 and I think it played a huge part in my lack of enjoyment of that game over all.
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I would upgrade my hardware to play it if it deemed a game worthy of such an upgrade. I don't however need better graphics though as I actually prefer the graphics in the Sims 4 over hyper realistic ones any day. I didn't enjoy the graphics in the Sims 3 and I think it played a huge part in my lack of enjoyment of that game over all.

@Sharonia better graphics doesn't equal more realistic graphics. The graphics have really gotten a lot better since The Sims 2 but the game never got too realistic, just better looking.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    My system gets upgraded whenever the games I play will benefit from it - Sims 4 included.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I agree with @Sharonia comment. I'll upgrade if the Sims 5 is worth upgrading for. So many games these days only upgrade the graphics and not the gameplay. I don't want pretty graphics if the gameplay is not good.
    My computer is pretty good for this generation of games. I have a Nvidia 1060, and I wonder if I'll have to upgrade it in the next couple years, or if I'll have to get an entirely new computer.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited June 2020
    The graphics, to me, are perfect in Sims 4, I can't imagine any way, shape, or form, of them changing that would look better, so I don't want them to change for that reason.

I can't afford a new computer, so if Sims 4, a game I already have, suddenly became unplayable, then yes, I'd be upset. I bought the game with the idea it could run on what I ahve, and it does, it runs great!

If Sims 5, a game that I can't see myself caring about cuz I already have Sims 4 which is amazing and don't have time to play two games, has fancy upgraded whatever, I don't care cuz I won't be playing it anyways.

Edit* Sims is the only PC game I play.
    Post edited by SimAlexandria on
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,179 Member
    edited June 2020

Same. I dont have a large budget to work with as a senior and only on pension, however games evolve, as they should, and you either keep up or just stay with what you have.
    If nobody kept up with technology as it advances then we would still be travelling by horse and buggy. Which actually sounds like fun but not feasible.
    And yes I'm old but been with the Sims since the beginning and the only thing that would stop me from advancing with them is if the next one doesn't "strike my fancy". Well that phrase certainly showed my age!

update: Knowing things progress and accepting that fact does not mean I don't care about the Sim Community. The latest phones are out of reach of many (aren't those prices crazy!) but I can still use the one I have. So the same for simmers that can't afford/or don't want to upgrade to play a newer version of the Sims. They will forever have the current games to play.
    Post edited by Bluegayle on
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    Always happy to see any game evolve IF sims was the only game requiring me to upgrade I wouldn't bother. That said I play other games so I generally upgrade anyway.

So yes evolve, no i wouldn't upgrade ONLY for sims. not after this rendition of it.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 889 Member
    I have in the past bought upgraded equipment if my current pc couldn't run a game I wanted, but only if I could afford to do it. I personally wouldn't mind if they evolved Sims 5, so long as they make the requirements clear from the get go. I don't know that EA will ever actually do something like this though, as that would cost them money in the long run from those customers who can't or won't upgrade for the evolved game.
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    It's kind of the nature of new versions in a game series to have upgraded engines, graphics and all to keep it competitive with current industry tech and to include things that are now possible with new tech innovations. So, yes, Sims 5 will have higher specs to meet in order to run it. It is to be expected. The previous iterations of The Sims will still run and those who may be out spec'd with Sims 5 can still run the older games. Is Sims 5 going to be bleeding edge needing a heavy-hitting system to run it, most probably not. It may phase out some older computer system support but it isn't going to dump all the older system specs.
  • PatricePatrice Posts: 361 Member
    Hello Simmers!

I have windows10, with 64bit, will it support sims5?
    Patrice wrote: »
    Hello Simmers!

I have windows10, with 64bit, will it support sims5?

@Patrice having a 64bit system is a good thing but it doesn't say much about your PC/laptop. You need to know what graphics card, processor you have as well as other components. It's good to inform yourself about which graphics cards are good for gaming and which are not.
    Since The Sims 5 hasn't come out yet nobody knows what requirements it will have.

I suggest you get to know your system a little better so when the Sims 5 comes out you'll be able to compare the required specs with your own specs and you'll find out on your own if you can run it or not.
    Sara1010P wrote: »
    I have in the past bought upgraded equipment if my current pc couldn't run a game I wanted, but only if I could afford to do it. I personally wouldn't mind if they evolved Sims 5, so long as they make the requirements clear from the get go. I don't know that EA will ever actually do something like this though, as that would cost them money in the long run from those customers who can't or won't upgrade for the evolved game.

@Sara1010P they have done this in the past actually. Look at The Sims 3 with the open world and the Sims 2 that went 3D and had a pretty high poly count. Don't get me wrong the Sims games are never too demanding but some of the previous games were evolving and becoming better with time.

I wouldn't expect EA to make the Sims 5 have the same system requirements as the Sims 4. There will be some kind of evolvement. Nobody knows how big or small.
  • A_MomA_Mom Posts: 868 Member
    If I could upgrade my system for the new game (i.e. Sims 5) I would, but if I couldn’t then I’d continue to play my old game(s). Since each iteration (Sims3, Sims4, etc.) spans several years I’d hope to be able to upgrade eventually.

I’m glad (for myself) that Sims 4 is no longer going to be constrained by the specs of older systems but it does seem a bit rotten that they did this in the middle of its lifecycle rather than at the beginning before people who can’t afford an better system started investing in it.