Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is going on with failing classes?

13...Next

Comments

• Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    I actually came here to find this thread because I was so annoyed about one of my sims. He was a pre-existing sim self-employed as an archaeologist. I wanted to take it easy to test out the pack, so I started him with only one history major course and one archaeology elective. He went on-time to every class, with homework fully complete and all bars full, completed and submitted an outstanding term paper for the history course, and took the final exam for the elective. I had him study for both courses daily; he raised his research and debate skill from zero to level 4, raised charisma and logic skills, and raised archaeology from level 5 to level 6. He also chatted up the professors and had a good relationship level with them, and went to office hours.

And yet he ended up failing the history course and only getting a B in the archaeology elective. I could _maybe_ understand the B in the elective, but in what world would you ever get an F after attending every class, doing all homework, and turning in an outstanding term paper?
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    got the same weirdness going on..

my sim is lvl 10 at programming and gaming, so she went in to get a degree in computer engineering.
    One of the classes required the programming skill, so I thought for sure she would ace it easily just by taking the classes, doing homework and taking the final.
    Another class required mischief which she had no skill in at all before, so I focused more on doing extra work (building skill) on that.
    When I called the profs for each class, the one for mischief told me,that she is one of their best students while the one for programming said it be a surprise if she passes at all....this makes no sense to me.
    Anyway, she passed all of her classes with an A- GPA for that term, so eff the profs!

But it's confusing af.

Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    edited January 2020
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    I actually came here to find this thread because I was so annoyed about one of my sims. He was a pre-existing sim self-employed as an archaeologist. I wanted to take it easy to test out the pack, so I started him with only one history major course and one archaeology elective. He went on-time to every class, with homework fully complete and all bars full, completed and submitted an outstanding term paper for the history course, and took the final exam for the elective. I had him study for both courses daily; he raised his research and debate skill from zero to level 4, raised charisma and logic skills, and raised archaeology from level 5 to level 6. He also chatted up the professors and had a good relationship level with them, and went to office hours.

And yet he ended up failing the history course and only getting a B in the archaeology elective. I could _maybe_ understand the B in the elective, but in what world would you ever get an F after attending every class, doing all homework, and turning in an outstanding term paper?

Update: I think it's totally random. I had saved two days before the end of term, then exited without saving when I was so disgusted with the failing grade. I went back and played through the last two days of the term without doing anything different*, and ended up with a B and an A+.

Better outcome, but it doesn't bode well for how well this pack was programmed. I guess the moral of the story is, save often, and if you don't like your grades, just go back and gamble on a different outcome. :|

(*He may have had a different meal choice in the cafeteria the last night, I'm not sure.)
  • Simaholic187Simaholic187 Posts: 1 New Member
    If you have the get famous pack I notice fame helps. tried one sim who had none and one who had 5 star .both all skills maxed did assignments but unfamous made an f and was put on academic probation they took same exact classes..
  • JAYSIMMS2004JAYSIMMS2004 Posts: 31 Member
    I'm starting experience this and I wasn't before. All skills maxed out, all homework completed, did presentations on time as well as term papers and I end up with a C in the class? What in the world is going on?
  • windweaverwindweaver Posts: 7,375 Member
    Boy, these posts don't speak very well for this game, at least the one's I've read. I admit I haven't read them all, but it makes me not want to play this pack. In sims 2 and 3 my sims were A students. I liked it that way. That's what I did when I was in college. I don't like this business of failing a class and not knowing why.
    My Origin Name is: Cynconzola8
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited January 2020
    They really need to make the study progress visible to players, otherwise we won't ever know whether the unexplained Fs are a bug or if we all misunderstand how Sims 4 college works. These posts strongly suggest that it's a bug imo:
    Amapola76 wrote: »

Update: I think it's totally random. I had saved two days before the end of term, then exited without saving when I was so disgusted with the failing grade. I went back and played through the last two days of the term without doing anything different*, and ended up with a B and an A+.
    I'm starting experience this and I wasn't before. All skills maxed out, all homework completed, did presentations on time as well as term papers and I end up with a C in the class? What in the world is going on?

Throwing out a wild guess, might the bug somehow get triggered by calling the professors? Maybe this act clears study all progress after reporting it to the player. I'm thinking so because calling or e-mailing the professors is the only thing I never do and so far in my two uni saves the grades have always reflected the effort my students put in. I'm striving for varied grades that are in-character for my sims, so any Fs I got were perfectly justified for the sim in quesion, never out of the blue.
    Post edited by EnkiSchmidt on
  • Sketch793Sketch793 Posts: 1,218 Member
    I don't think so. I've sent several sims through at least one term of university, they've always emailed the professors since that's the only way to judge their progress, and they've all gotten A+ on every course.
  • AteezinWonderlandAteezinWonderland Posts: 96 Member
    My Sim married her roommate and discovered that he didn’t graduate with her because he failed his classes and had a D- average. I was like, “okay” and resolved to get him a good degree so he could come back from it. Did everything- he wrote his term papers, did presentations, homework as soon as he was assigned it... he failed his classes.

I thought it could have been that he moved off campus and the game wasn’t registering him as attending his classes and midterms, but seeing that I’m not the only one with this issue, it’s kind of 👀👀👀
    Check out BTS and ATEEZ!
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    Sketch793 wrote: »
    I don't think so. I've sent several sims through at least one term of university, they've always emailed the professors since that's the only way to judge their progress, and they've all gotten A+ on every course.

So that's not it. Too bad. I'm kinda anxious to catch the bug, too, and knowing what to avoid to not get it would have helped immensely.
  • XwantonXwanton Posts: 85 Member
    I just experienced this and I'm confused and kinda annoyed. My sim did two classes, a mandatory one for Language and Literature and a Wellness elective. He got A+ in the mandatory class and got an F in the Wellness class, despite handing in an outstanding term paper, attending every class and never missing homework. He even emailed the professor to be told he was "passing the class". So how on Earth does that result in an F?
  • MADLES89MADLES89 Posts: 1 New Member
    So, I have the same problem for some reason. My sim has high skills, on the last day of class she had all of her homework turned in, and had taken the exams, yet she still got F's in all of her classes. Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?
  • Charlieann22Charlieann22 Posts: 1 New Member
    I did all the homework, all the studying, attended all classes skill for it was at the highest skill and she still got a C so I don’t think it’s the skills!
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    edited February 2020
    I have not experienced this in my game. Grades are work and it should be that way. Glad it's not simple. There are many factors that go into earning a good grade! I still wish they had better lifetime rewards for completing a degree along with the pay boosts!
  • annsikkaannsikka Posts: 2 New Member
    I just googled this problem, I have these twin sisters one good and one evil. I'm trying to master everything in game with them. Maxing all skills, all carriers, all educations and of course all aspirations. I've come a long way without trouble, but by now I've run into 2 problems and both are linked to uni-pack.
    Problem 1: My good sim is suspended from school from failing twice. I did everything correctly and have her skills maxed out. But she is failing anyway.
    Problem 2: My evil sim cant get "evil" deviance aspiration. One of the bars she has to pass is being promoted to level 4 in her Crime career. The problem here is that she has a degree in Villainy, which removes the crime career when looking for a job and replaces it with level 7 Criminal - Boss branch.

My brain is melting today. :(
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    That happened to me also. I created a sim with highest level of Robots, Rocket Science, Programming, Logic & Research. Got her to do all her homework & go to all her classes but she still got a probation from the University. Her course was Computer Science, it should have been a breeze instead of getting in trouble. I tried with my other sims with different courses & skills but came up to the same thing.
    So, now I just go into the trait codes & give my sim a selected degree & not even bother with them going to University.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    annsikka wrote: »
    I just googled this problem, I have these twin sisters one good and one evil. I'm trying to master everything in game with them. Maxing all skills, all carriers, all educations and of course all aspirations. I've come a long way without trouble, but by now I've run into 2 problems and both are linked to uni-pack.
    Problem 1: My good sim is suspended from school from failing twice. I did everything correctly and have her skills maxed out. But she is failing anyway.
    Problem 2: My evil sim cant get "evil" deviance aspiration. One of the bars she has to pass is being promoted to level 4 in her Crime career. The problem here is that she has a degree in Villainy, which removes the crime career when looking for a job and replaces it with level 7 Criminal - Boss branch.

My brain is melting today. :(

I'd use the cheat to get past that point in the aspiration - there's a genuine bug that is keeping the completion of the task from being recognised. But, I'd also put in a bug report or 'me too' if it already exists.

As for the grades - someone suggested in a another thread that it might be related to elective classes. If you've already maxed out the skill, you can't improve and fail?

All three of the Sims I've put through university have had nothing but A+ marks, but I've never had them take an elective. One Sim just started her fourth distinguished degree (she's independently wealthy due her connections to the Motherlode clan, and after a short spin at paid employment, has decided to become a Perpetual Student). But, at least she's good at it.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • annsikkaannsikka Posts: 2 New Member
    > @invisiblgirl said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I'd use the cheat to get past that point in the aspiration - there's a genuine bug that is keeping the completion of the task from being recognised. But, I'd also put in a bug report or 'me too' if it already exists.
    >
    > As for the grades - someone suggested in a another thread that it might be related to elective classes. If you've already maxed out the skill, you can't improve and fail?
    >
    > All three of the Sims I've put through university have had nothing but A+ marks, but I've never had them take an elective. One Sim just started her fourth distinguished degree (she's independently wealthy due her connections to the Motherlode clan, and after a short spin at paid employment, has decided to become a Perpetual Student). But, at least she's good at it.

I was in luck, someone called my sim and asked if they wanted to start on level 4 criminal career, I did. Nothing happened at first but when she was getting a promotion at work the aspiration level box checked :smile: I'm still working on school, gonna save the file before graduation trying my luck. Normally I never cheat past "bb.moveobjects on" or save file for do-overs. I just love playing the game and facing whatever challenges comes my way.
  • Akasha77Akasha77 Posts: 1 New Member
    I tested and I’m pretty sure it has to do with skills being maxed.
  • A1fabbyA1fabby Posts: 3 New Member
    [quote="snootypatooty;c-17320901"]I think the game just does whatever, my sim is maxed skills and does everything she is suppose to and gets A- or B it's random but makes no sense[/quote]

I noticed that too!! My sim is doing a distinguished degree in culinary arts and she’s maxed out in cooking AND gourmet cooking but she will still got a C and a B and 2 A’s. Presentations are always outstanding and so is the papers. She’s rarely ever late too.
    I don’t get it.
  • Shika_LaneShika_Lane Posts: 4 New Member
    It must be a glitch that EA need to fix. My sims skills are at the level they need to be, she attends class, she does homework, she does presentations, she studies, she does her term paper, she does everything and she's still getting Fs.
  • rudolpharudolpha Posts: 997 Member
    Grades can be roll of the dice. With electives I've had both good and bad grades on sims with all sorts of skill levels but think if you go up a level in any skill related to the course that helps with the grade so if maxed cannot get this. Definitely grades go down if late to a class and that's worse on campus as if you don't leave from home at least an hour ahead of time you never get there on time. Grades are definitely improved by studying at home and taking notes in class.
  • MiaTheOriginalMiaTheOriginal Posts: 1 New Member
    If you're still having this issue. It's in classes with term papers that seem to be affected. The Outstanding paper seems to be bugged. I noticed that the maximum you seem to be able to get with the presentation is Excellent. Yet the term papers max out at outstanding. I also noticed it jumped from normal straight to outstanding which suggests some sort of programming error. So I stopped editing the Term paper at normal and did my best in every other aspect of the class. I always get full marks regardless of skill level or leveling. My guess is it as someone else suggested it's some sort of overflow issue. When you do too well it rolls back over to the lowest grade. Good luck~