Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 5 as a future PS5 game?!?! Sims 5 coming more sooner than later? **NEW LEAK FROM UK MAG**

Comments

• bryanovensbryanovens Posts: 41 Member
    edited June 2020
    The new generation is just starting and they said The Sims 5 will be released in 12 months or more after the launch of the PS5. The only thing that is confirmed is that The Sims 5 will be part of the new generation but a generation could be 7 years long.

Where is the source for this?

Adding to this thread, the Sims 5 most likely began pre-development back in 2017. I wrote a whole essay about my theory and the proof I have (job postings as well as the LinkedIn pages for Maxis employees who haven't worked on Sims 4 content in a few years) that I had planned to turn into a video, but with that tweet about no Sims announcements at EA Play I lost the motivation.

Long story short, based on LinkedIn updates and job postings at Maxis over the last few years, the Sims 5 seems to have begun the concept and prototyping phase at the beginning of 2017, with the development phase beginning somewhere during the first half of 2018. If the game were to get the standard three year development time frame that both the Sims 2 and 3 had, then it should come out some point during 2021.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    Just an idea, what if this “Sims 5” for PS5 isn’t actually a Sims 5, rather an announcement of Sims 4 on the next generation consoles (PS5 being the fifth generation console).
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,176 Member
    edited June 2020
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited June 2020

Well this is the 6th year for TS4 so that means TS5 should be coming out next year, lol!

No announcement in 2020 means no release in 2021.

As you saw the announcements are done in March/May for a release date within the next 12 months

TS4 : May announcement for February/March (Early 2014) release date but delayed to September
    TS3 : March announcement for February release date but delayed to June
    TS2 : May announcement for February/March (Early 2004) release date but delayed to September

They only said no announcement at EA Play. But new iterations of The Sims have never been announced there anyway. That means it can be announced through some other way at any time in the near future.

filipomel wrote: »
    Just an idea, what if this “Sims 5” for PS5 isn’t actually a Sims 5, rather an announcement of Sims 4 on the next generation consoles (PS5 being the fifth generation console).

If it was for TS4, then they would have posted "The Sims 4".

The new generation is just starting and they said The Sims 5 will be released in 12 months or more after the launch of the PS5. The only thing that is confirmed is that The Sims 5 will be part of the new generation but a generation could be 7 years long.

Where is the source for this?

Adding to this thread, the Sims 5 most likely began pre-development back in 2017. I wrote a whole essay about my theory and the proof I have (job postings as well as the LinkedIn pages for Maxis employees who haven't worked on Sims 4 content in a few years) that I had planned to turn into a video, but with that tweet about no Sims announcements at EA Play I lost the motivation.

Long story short, based on LinkedIn updates and job postings at Maxis over the last few years, the Sims 5 seems to have begun the concept and prototyping phase at the beginning of 2017, with the development phase beginning somewhere during the first half of 2018. If the game were to get the standard three year development time frame that both the Sims 2 and 3 had, then it should come out some point during 2021.

Don't get discouraged. Past history shows that new releases for The Sims are often announced outside of EA Play. Here is an example from 2017 of no The Sims announcement at EA Play for that year, but they still announced and released packs after that announcement for the rest of that cycle.

I agree with your timeline of TS5 development from the clues that you've drawn from. TS5 should be ready soon!

Post edited by ClarionOfJoy on
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    There's no way Sims 5 is coming out any time soon. They just rebranded Sims 4 last year. Rebranding takes money, time and resources that a company like EA isn't going to throw away just to close shop in one or two years. We're talking about capitalistic thinking. Rebranding is refreshing a product to not only extend its longevity, but it's also a way to rebuild and restart it to promote it to the public as if it's new. Devs have even said directly that Sims 4 has years left. Years, meaning plural. And that statement was, what, two months ago?

I know some people are eager for Sims 5, and I'm sorry you're unhappy with the current game (in many ways, so am I,) but the lack of concrete evidence, and the indisputable validation of what's right in front of us tells us straight up that Sims 4 is going to linger for a while longer. No sense in ignoring the truth, it will only lead to disappointment.
    #Team Occult
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    There's no way Sims 5 is coming out any time soon. They just rebranded Sims 4 last year. Rebranding takes money, time and resources that a company like EA isn't going to throw away just to close shop in one or two years. We're talking about capitalistic thinking. Rebranding is refreshing a product to not only extend its longevity, but it's also a way to rebuild and restart it to promote it to the public as if it's new. Devs have even said directly that Sims 4 has years left. Years, meaning plural. And that statement was, what, two months ago?

I know some people are eager for Sims 5, and I'm sorry you're unhappy with the current game (in many ways, so am I,) but the lack of concrete evidence, and the indisputable validation of what's right in front of us tells us straight up that Sims 4 is going to linger for a while longer. No sense in ignoring the truth, it will only lead to disappointment.

I still think it's so unfair...
    This installment has overstayed it's welcome.
    I feel like there's plenty of evidence out there that the Sims is currently under development, I have no doubt about that. The release, however, I'm not sure about, since EAxis has obviously been switching things around with how they do things recently.

The Sims 5 is most definitely being worked on right now, though. Exhibit A:
    UCVdYAS.png

"Worked with a small team to develop and prototype a new concept through multiple iterations"
    "Successfully created and helped pitch the vision and concept to executive leadership"

Since he hasn't switched positions since the creation of this small team, we can assume he is still working on it. Since job postings at Maxis has said they're looking for people to be involved in the Sims franchise, we can only assume that he made a pitch for a Sims game.

The evidence is out there, it just takes a bit of digging.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

Well this is the 6th year for TS4 so that means TS5 should be coming out next year, lol!

As you saw the announcements are done in March/May for a release date within the next 12 months

TS4 : May announcement for February/March (Early 2014) release date but delayed to September
    TS2 : May announcement for February/March (Early 2004) release date but delayed to September

But the pandemic might have delayed an announcement this past May. LA is in bad shape. CA is still shut down in many places. We see they have a pattern of May when they announce a new game. That's very clear, however, a monkey wrench might have prevented it this time. And better to wait until fall when there will be a vaccine, and the country fully open, and no more bad news like that, and then a big announcement. I can see where the pandemic might have ruined some announcement. Better to wait and rake in more when they can get more interest rather than people still worried about going outside or still being told to stay inside. I think it will be announced sooner than May of 2021 but that's just my best guess.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2020

Have you ever wondered what lays on the cutting room floor of the past games? How many projects, ideas and even objects, worlds and builds or whatever never made it into a game once EA decided it was time to release a newer version? I do. Numenor and others used to find stuff in the TS2 game and true it was usually hidden clothes or a hairstyle and or a flower pot or whatever they had left out of the game and no one would know it was ever there to be added at a later date, but was never added. Same goes for projects of these games. They get scrapped and I don't think they get 'thrown away' but there are dozens of projects these past games never saw once EA/Maxis and these days especially Marketing decided it was time to announce a newer game. Yes, they plan for a year at a time on their budget. They bascially know exactly what they are going to offer long before we even hear about it. Same thing with a new game, they know the deadline and they know how long they have to try to get stuff out for TS4. Some in the ranks might not have any idea but they plan a year ahead of time, so yeah, they know what packs they will do. But if EA's Marketing says time to announce TS5 or whatever newer version, those projects may never happen. This has happened time and time again. Just because someone at Maxis says it will be years..doesn't mean anything. That's the plan, but things change. :D

Take this to heart, we know for a fact they have been building TS5 for almost three years right now...mobile doesn't take that long anymore, especially depending on what engine they have chosen and what computer language, such as Python or something else. The Unity engine (if they picked that to build a game) won't even take five years in some cases. It might not be tomorrow but it won't be five years from now, either. I'm going to give a good guess next year. Also, it can be marketed this way, the pandemic delayed the announcement in May 2020, to be released usually in Feb but will be stated it was delayed until next Sept. I'm taking bets. ;)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Cinebar wrote: »

Have you ever wondered what lays on the cutting room floor of the past games? How many projects, ideas and even objects, worlds and builds or whatever never made it into a game once EA decided it was time to release a newer version? I do. Numenor and others used to find stuff in the TS2 game and true it was usually hidden clothes or a hairstyle and or a flower pot or whatever they had left out of the game and no one would know it was ever there to be added at a later date, but was never added. Same goes for projects of these games. They get scrapped and I don't think they get 'thrown away' but there are dozens of projects these past games never saw once EA/Maxis and these days especially Marketing decided it was time to announce a newer game. Yes, they plan for a year at a time on their budget. They bascially know exactly what they are going to offer long before we even hear about it. Same thing with a new game, they know the deadline and they know how long they have to try to get stuff out for TS4. Some in the ranks might not have any idea but they plan a year ahead of time, so yeah, they know what packs they will do. But if EA's Marketing says time to announce TS5 or whatever newer version, those projects may never happen. This has happened time and time again. Just because someone at Maxis says it will be years..doesn't mean anything. That's the plan, but things change. :D

Take this to heart, we know for a fact they have been building TS5 for almost three years right now...mobile doesn't take that long anymore, especially depending on what engine they have chosen and what computer language, such as Python or something else. The Unity engine (if they picked that to build a game) won't even take five years in some cases. It might not be tomorrow but it won't be five years from now, either. I'm going to give a good guess next year. Also, it can be marketed this way, the pandemic delayed the announcement in May 2020, to be released usually in Feb but will be stated it was delayed until next Sept. I'm taking bets. ;)

Thank you !!
    edited June 2020
    Ned Stark said "Winter is coming"... Sure, it came 8 seasons later... and was over only 3 episodes later. All That for This ???

I've got the feeling that The Sims 5 is following the same way. "TS5 is coming!"
    edited June 2020
    @Cinebar wrote: »

But the pandemic might have delayed an announcement this past May. LA is in bad shape.

I see no link with the pandemic.
    I mean if The Sims 5 is still planned in 2021, there is no reason to postpone the announcement. Or TS5 is postponed to 2022.

March/May announcement is for the investors and FY Q4 financial result, a way to tell them they'll get a lot of money during this fiscal year.

Actually the investors request for The Sims 4 on Nintendo Switch (over 55 million consoles sold).
    Previously TS3 was on Wii and TS2 on GameCube.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,707 Member
    @Cinebar, or anyone else who knows, can you direct me to this information confirming the Sims 5 has been in production for 3 years? 🤔

I've always moved on to the next iteration and it won't be any different for the 5th version but where is the certainty coming from?
    @Cinebar, or anyone else who knows, can you direct me to this information confirming the Sims 5 has been in production for 3 years? 🤔

I've always moved on to the next iteration and it won't be any different for the 5th version but where is the certainty coming from?

If you look at my post from last night you’ll see that I provided some information about the TS5 being in development for three years.

If you look at my post from last night you’ll see that I provided some information about the TS5 being in development for three years.

Cool, I'll check it out.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Are some of you seriously thinking they still haven't started developing The Sims 5? Even if they release the game in 2023-2024 they usually start VERY early.
    I think development for the Sims 3 begun about 4 years prior to the game's release. Same thing with the Sims 4 that was being developed to become a different game than it actually became, yeah we all know the story.

I don't know when it will be released but I think development had started.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
    Are some of you seriously thinking they still haven't started developing The Sims 5? Even if they release the game in 2023-2024 they usually start VERY early.
    I think development for the Sims 3 begun about 4 years prior to the game's release. Same thing with the Sims 4 that was being developed to become a different game than it actually became, yeah we all know the story.

I don't know when it will be released but I think development had started.

IKR?
    >.<
    Sounds good to me. Between Sims 5, Paralives, and the Paradox game there should be enough to keep everyone happy!
    Sounds good to me. Between Sims 5, Paralives, and the Paradox game there should be enough to keep everyone happy!

I think these next years are going to be awesome for the fans of the Sims. It'll be nice to finally have some competition for this franchise, especially one that's made by another major publishing studio like Paradox.

I know a lot of people think Paralives is going to rock our worlds but with it being an indie game, I can't imagine it being too much better than the Sims 4 (which isn't to say that it'll be bad, it just won't surpass any of the Sims games we already have in terms of quality and gameplay).

This life simulation market is only going to go up from here though, and that's such an exciting prospect.

I think these next years are going to be awesome for the fans of the Sims. It'll be nice to finally have some competition for this franchise, especially one that's made by another major publishing studio like Paradox.

I know a lot of people think Paralives is going to rock our worlds but with it being an indie game, I can't imagine it being too much better than the Sims 4 (which isn't to say that it'll be bad, it just won't surpass any of the Sims games we already have in terms of quality and gameplay).

This life simulation market is only going to go up from here though, and that's such an exciting prospect.

I personally want EA to be shaking in their boots, finally having some real competition maybe will put a fire under their feet to PRODUCE BETTER CONTENT!
    I feel like there's plenty of evidence out there that the Sims is currently under development, I have no doubt about that. The release, however, I'm not sure about, since EAxis has obviously been switching things around with how they do things recently.

The Sims 5 is most definitely being worked on right now, though. Exhibit A:
    UCVdYAS.png

"Worked with a small team to develop and prototype a new concept through multiple iterations"
    "Successfully created and helped pitch the vision and concept to executive leadership"

Since he hasn't switched positions since the creation of this small team, we can assume he is still working on it. Since job postings at Maxis has said they're looking for people to be involved in the Sims franchise, we can only assume that he made a pitch for a Sims game.

The evidence is out there, it just takes a bit of digging.

While this certainly seems possible, I wouldn't call it evidence. The developer in question does not specifically mention the Sims franchise by name in the first segment. "A new concept" could be a completely new game franchise altogether. Maxis does do other games besides The Sims, and I know that they encourage and support creative and independent ideas from their devs.

I'm not saying I don't believe that Sims 5 is in development at all, because I do, definitely. I just don't think this is concrete enough for me to believe a definitive timeline. I don't think it's been three years in production at all, I think it's about half that. I personally think that when Grant, who was lead producer for Sims 4, was "promoted" and removed from Sims 4 to do other unspecified things, it had to do with Sims 5. I think he's probably the lead producer for it, since he has been with the franchise for at least two iterations. I would also guess that Graham is involved with Sims 5 as well because he's gone strangely quiet on Sims 4 for about the same length of time and sort of faded out of the limelight, so I have my doubts if he's even working on TS4 anymore. He's also been with The Sims franchise for a while.
    #Team Occult

And again, I'm going to point out that we do not "for a fact", actually know how long Sims 5 has been worked on. My personal observations say otherwise. One of the keys to this is that when Sims 4 launched, devs were saying that "if players didn't support Sims 4 there wouldn't be a Sims 5". That alone tells me that they were apprehensive if Sims 4 would even be successful or not. Why wouldn't they be? Sim City had just failed as an online game and they got so nervous they changed their original plans for Sims 4 so they had no idea if it would survive. And we all know what EA does when a game crashes and burns. They abandon it. So the usual pattern wasn't followed, they wanted to wait and see how Sims 4 did for X amount of years and if it could still bring in the money. They even said from the beginning that Sims 4 was intended to run longer than previous games and I think that this is one of the reasons why. They needed to buy time. Remember that Sims 4 had a very bumpy first few years and didn't start really taking off until toddlers and Vampires came out back to back. That was the year that started to change things and numbers started going up. But it could have been a one time boost and tapered off again. No doubt corporate was glued to their reports, waiting to see if it would consistently rise, and when the next fiscal year proved the profit was sustainable, they finally started talking about Sims 5.

Because they do plan years ahead. Not just one year ahead, but two to five years. An expansion pack alone takes a minimum of one year to create. That can't just be planned off the cuff the year before with Game and Stuff packs and coordination and marketing and budgeting and costs. They even have to plan out their release schedules years ahead, I remember SimGuru Drake talking about that on these forums. This franchise isn't like the past games anymore. Development seems to take longer, for one, and their team is huge. Grant, before he left working on Sims 4, had announced the next leg of TS4's development phase, and he said they had to rush a lot of meetings and planning for the next three plus years because they were already behind schedule. That was at around the four year mark, I think in November of that year. It was the following year that he left TS4. And earlier this year he was still saying that Sims 4 has multiple years left. They've already planned out most of the packs they are going to be making for those next years, at least the EPs. So when he confirms there are years left, there is no reason to doubt it.

My theory is that we won't be seeing Sims 5 until at least 2022
    #Team Occult

And again, I'm going to point out that we do not "for a fact", actually know how long Sims 5 has been worked on. My personal observations say otherwise. One of the keys to this is that when Sims 4 launched, devs were saying that "if players didn't support Sims 4 there wouldn't be a Sims 5". That alone tells me that they were apprehensive if Sims 4 would even be successful or not. Why wouldn't they be? Sim City had just failed as an online game and they got so nervous they changed their original plans for Sims 4 so they had no idea if it would survive. And we all know what EA does when a game crashes and burns. They abandon it. So the usual pattern wasn't followed, they wanted to wait and see how Sims 4 did for X amount of years and if it could still bring in the money. They even said from the beginning that Sims 4 was intended to run longer than previous games and I think that this is one of the reasons why. They needed to buy time. Remember that Sims 4 had a very bumpy first few years and didn't start really taking off until toddlers and Vampires came out back to back. That was the year that started to change things and numbers started going up. But it could have been a one time boost and tapered off again. No doubt corporate was glued to their reports, waiting to see if it would consistently rise, and when the next fiscal year proved the profit was sustainable, they finally started talking about Sims 5.

Because they do plan years ahead. Not just one year ahead, but two to five years. An expansion pack alone takes a minimum of one year to create. That can't just be planned off the cuff the year before with Game and Stuff packs and coordination and marketing and budgeting and costs. They even have to plan out their release schedules years ahead, I remember SimGuru Drake talking about that on these forums. This franchise isn't like the past games anymore. Development seems to take longer, for one, and their team is huge. Grant, before he left working on Sims 4, had announced the next leg of TS4's development phase, and he said they had to rush a lot of meetings and planning for the next three plus years because they were already behind schedule. That was at around the four year mark, I think in November of that year. It was the following year that he left TS4. And earlier this year he was still saying that Sims 4 has multiple years left. They've already planned out most of the packs they are going to be making for those next years, at least the EPs. So when he confirms there are years left, there is no reason to doubt it.

My theory is that we won't be seeing Sims 5 until at least 2022

...Nooo :(.....LOL I'm sorry you have amazing points...I just don't wanna want that long, and imo TS4 shouldn't last that long.
    I made this essay earlier this week, and intended to turn it into a video essay in preparation for EA Play Live. Since they confirmed no new Sims content will be announced then, I decided to scrap the idea. I just finished converting it into more of an academic essay with some receipts included in an Appendix, so if you want to see why I believe the Sims 5 is currently in development, here's a good 3,500 words of me explaining why.
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1P-JDZhVXSkZnp6BpWMh0lxUl8hCgRhVygrKM8V-dI-w/edit?usp=sharing