Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Closed-moved to a poll

SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
Hey guys,

So I'm probably gonna get a lot of hate for this but I'm really curious and I want to ask the community a question. What's the whole deal about Simmers not wanting to invest in better PCs so the game can evolve?

1. I've never seen a game community do this so much before. It seems so crazy to me that Simmers will go as far as to say they would rather not get The Sims 5 or new features that expand the game because they refuse to buy new hardware. Why is that? The Sims has never been such a demanding franchise anyway...

2. Other game communities usually want the best game possible. I am not just a Sims player so I experience new releases of other games and it's crazy how excited people get about a new game with great graphics or a crazy new feature that might be a bit demanding on the system but makes the game a lot better. A big amount of gamers in our Sims community aren't like that. They reject ideas for features that might be demanding just because their laptops can't handle it.

3. Why do Simmers choose laptops so much? Laptops are always a bad choice for gaming, they are more expensive and offer worse performance. If you buy a 600$ PC you could easily play on mid-high settings. On a 600$ laptop, well... hello laptop mode...
EDIT: I realize there can be laptops that you bought cheap and are good. I can't go into the specifics of everyone. I have to speak generally..

I understand that some people can't afford better systems but in my opinion it is really no reason to be going against all new features that could really expand the game and make it better just because your laptop can't handle it. We all just want the best experience we can possibly get, or don't we?

EDIT: What I am trying to ask is, if you are a player who can barely run The Sims 4, would you not want a better game if you couldn't run it?
The Sims team since the Sims 4 have limited themselves in what features they used in the game for many reasons but also so that people with low specs can run the game. Do you think this keeps The Sims series from evolving?
Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
Post edited by SimmerGeorge on

Comments

• Options
    NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    edited June 2020
    Can’t speak for anyone else but I support features that would mean getting a new system. And I also am not in a position to get a new system. The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

You said it yourself, not everyone can afford to buy a new system to support whatever the developers would want to put in the game. Maybe it makes more sense to lower expectations than it is to be able to actually physically acquire something that might not be financially feasible.

I have to assume you are asking about people who have the means to buy whatever high end computer they want, but don’t want the game to be expanded, in which case I can’t speak for them and can’t imagine why they would think that way. Could be if people think they would have to upgrade their current system, they just don’t want to go through the hassle of buying something new, don’t have the space for an appropriate setup in their living situation, don’t invest as much time into this game so investing money into a new system isn’t worth it, etc.
  • Options
    HyalophoraHyalophora Posts: 29 Member
    A lot of the time it's about money and convenience. I will say, though, that I've bought two high end gaming desktops for $175 and $250 on local sales boards (each worth about $800-1200.) It's very opportunistic, but if I want something like that, I just check local online marketplaces repeatedly for weeks and make sure to inquire quickly if someone posts. I also figured out how to stream The Sims through Steam to a laptop (through a bit of a loophole,) and now I can run the game on my desktop and enjoy playing on a laptop in bed or on the couch.
  • Options
    @Hyalophora ok everything about your reply is super smart. Great ideas I've never heard of before.
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    edited June 2020
    Personnally I bought my laptop before I got TS4. It’s not a gaming laptop but I can’t buy another computer just to play, I don’t have that kind of money.
  • Options
    ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    I have a gaming PC and I cannot say i've really noticed simmers not "wanting" to invest in a better pc.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited June 2020
    Not sure where you are going with this. Personally, I purchased a laptop specifically made for gaming. Hence it is even marketed as a gaming laptop. I also use it for more than that. To some, gaming is a mere hobby that they do to relax, and do not see it as an investment. I have no desire to buy a new high end desktop, just a for a video game.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Not really a priority
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    Spent over $2 grand for a PC just for the Sims and it's garbage. The company has zero customer service and no instruction guide. The fans never worked and I havn't a clue how to open the case. Oh it took a year to save up and never will do it again.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Much as I love the Sims, as it's one of two "high demand" computer games I play, should the day come when the Sims requirements outstrips my computer, I'm not upgrading just for the Sims.

Now, I have other programs that are high graphics demands that I will upgrade for, and they need a better system than the Sims 4 does, so I don't see that day as coming any time soon (or ever). But should it come, I'll simply stop getting expansions for the Sims. I'm still playing versions of TTRPG's that haven't been supported in decades, so I can certainly deal with it for a computer game.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited June 2020
    This is actually a very good question. I am by no means rich. And my entire work life i never worked more than 3 days a week and had to buy a lot of my own food and such so that leaves little for splurging. Buuuut ever since I started working I would save little by little for something I really wanted.

I lovveeee the sims and kept getting lag on my old pc. I wanted to play max graphics max cc reshade and whatever else I could stuff in there to get the best gaming experience possible.

Guess what I did? Saved for a top quality second hand MSI gaming desktop after extensive research. I got the laptop version also. That's how good it was.(Best brand pc in the world imo)

I don't regret a penny spent and my game is so loaded with stuff it takes ages to load up but I love it. 😂😂😂once it does there is no lag no studdering. no issues what so ever. I brought a huge curved monitor, the first I ever had in my life and when I play my game it feels like I'm in sim heaven lol 😅

But all of this was from saving little by little from barely anything so I have wondered the same thing as you.
    But I can't speak for anyone else's circumstances only my own.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    Not sure where you are going with this. Personally, I purchased a laptop specifically made for gaming. Hence it is even marketed as a gaming laptop. I also use it for more than that. To some, gaming is a mere hobby that they do to relax, and do not see it as an investment. I have no desire to buy a new high end desktop, just a for a video game.

If you have a laptop that works for you great. I'm talking about the people with the laptops for 2012 complaining about a possible open world in the Sims 5.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    Well, if you are someone who only plays the sims then you don't really have a big reason to own a gaming PC...
    I play other games so I want a gaming PC that can play games from other game developers who have their games optimized for PC. I don't feel that the sims games are very well optimized for PC... I can't even play the sims3 without lag.

I do hope that if they are working on a sims5, then they will optimize it for both laptops and people with gaming PC's. I want enable high resolution textures for everything for example, the textures in the sims4 looks good...from a distance but as soon as you zoom in you see how low res some textures are.

TR7ZxJJ.png
  • Options
    logion wrote: »
    Well, if you are someone who only plays the sims then you don't really have a big reason to own a gaming PC...

I do hope that if they are working on a sims5, then they will optimize it for both laptops and people with gaming PC's. I want enable high resolution textures for everything for example, the textures in the sims4 looks good...from a distance but as soon as you zoom in you see how low res some textures are.

TR7ZxJJ.png
    The games are actually built on PC but since they are old and since the Sims 4 was also made to run on low spec PCs there are issues with newer cards that is true.
    However where I'm trying to get to is why do people complain about new features that might demand more system power when they are playing on 2009 PCs.
  • Options

If you have a laptop that works for you great. I'm talking about the people with the laptops for 2012 complaining about a possible open world in the Sims 5.

Well to many, myself included "open world" or "online multiplayer" means the game will subpar quality. Personally, I hate Sims 3 because it is open world. Well that and the controls are not user friendly. My point is that people are into video games for more reasons than you think. Myself, I play them until they can no longer work. I even played the first iteration of The Sims for 15 years without mods or cc. Only quit when it was no longer able to be easily downloaded on Windows 10. So, I am a gamer who doesn't just invest in a new product right away. In fact, I prefer offline video games and play Sims 4 offline 99.9% of the time.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

I would assume that they are using sims3 as an example, the problem with that is that it had open world without using any of the methods that open world games uses today so they automatically assume that open world = lag. There are methods that you can use so that you don't need a strong gaming PC, GTA5 is a good example, that game is not too much demanding because they have very good methods to reduce textures loading for example.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,596 Member
    Bruh, I spent thousands of dollars on gaming laptops for this game and the game still runs like a snail.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Options
    Well to many, myself included "open world" or "online multiplayer" means the game will subpar quality. Personally, I hate Sims 3 because it is open world. Well that and the controls are not user friendly. My point is that people are into video games for more reasons than you think. Myself, I play them until they can no longer work. I even played the first iteration of The Sims for 15 years without mods or cc. Only quit when it was no longer able to be easily downloaded on Windows 10. So, I am a gamer who doesn't just invest in a new product right away. In fact, I prefer offline video games and play Sims 4 offline 99.9% of the time.

@NorthDakotaGamer I don't specifically mean just the open world when I talk about expansive features (even though it's been 11 years since the Sims 3 and I'm sure an open world would work better now). I'm just talking more generally. Also I think in 2020 we should be able to get at least open neighborhoods or something.
  • Options
    DeKay wrote: »
    Bruh, I spent thousands of dollars on gaming laptops for this game and the game still runs like a snail.

@DeKay hmm that doesn't sound right. What laptop do you own? You might want to find some technical support on that.
  • Options

@NorthDakotaGamer I don't specifically mean just the open world when I talk about expansive features (even though it's been 11 years since the Sims 3 and I'm sure an open world would work better now). I'm just talking more generally. Also I think in 2020 we should be able to get at least open neighborhoods or something.

When many people mention expansive features, it means an online component of some kind. That is a gigantic way to make me not interested.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,596 Member

DeKay hmm that doesn't sound right. What laptop do you own? You might want to find some technical support on that.

It's a local company called Aftershock. They have videos of them showing gameplay of other games and the fps is not nearly as bad as I get on The Sims 4. For eg:
    https://youtu.be/ftIclm-jEt8

I've come to terms that this game is not very optimized for laptops. I can sometimes get an fps of 20-40 if I move the camera around a lot and only 60fps if I don't move the camera at all. 😂
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • Options
    It really depends on the laptop and the hardware it has in it. This is not the thread for it but maybe you could offer me more information about your laptop so I can tell you if those frame rates are normal. I really hope you didn't get scammed 'cause thousands of dollars on a gaming laptop that only gets max 60fps on the Sims 4 isn't really normal
  • Options

DeKay hmm that doesn't sound right. What laptop do you own? You might want to find some technical support on that.

It's a local company called Aftershock. They have videos of them showing gameplay of other games and the fps is not nearly as bad as I get on The Sims 4. For eg:
    https://youtu.be/ftIclm-jEt8

I've come to terms that this game is not very optimized for laptops. I can sometimes get an fps of 20-40 if I move the camera around a lot and only 60fps if I don't move the camera at all. 😂

I'm not sure if the sims4 is well optimized at all to be honest... I can run loads of games at Ultra settings but the sims 4... sometimes lags and uses a ridiculous amount of memory for me.

To be fair, sims games are probably a bit more complex sometimes. The fact that you can build and place anything in the world is probably pretty demanding, and also all the coding for the sims themselves...
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    I have a gaming laptop I payed like 650 for when I caught it on sale and have not used laptop mode at all and play on Ultra settings all the time.

Very good specs and had recently replaced my HDD with a SDD. Had this for almost two years now and more than going strong. I would assume people with very, very old hardware are most likely falling into the category of playing with the legacy edition of the Sims 4. I mean, yeah usually it is a money issue or possibly not 'wanting' to invest money into expensive hardware, but bottom line is...

Gaming is an expensive hobby.

As the years go by tech keeps advancing. Can't expect things to be compatible from the early 2000's to work with the tech now. If you're going to be investing money into buying packs and other games you add all that up and by then you definitely would have been able to afford a more than decent computer to play a lot of AAA games and games like the sims.

But there's also people that only just play the sims and not want to invest in a computer can also be it as well. Which is understandable.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    It’s not really an eco lifestyle to keep dumping old computers that still function in favor of new ones.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    HyalophoraHyalophora Posts: 29 Member
    It’s not really an eco lifestyle to keep dumping old computers that still function in favor of new ones.

Though you *can* sell your old computers as used at an affordable price, and buy used computers that are higher specs than the old one.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top