Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tales of Camelot - 3.65: What you Truly Wish - Updated 21/02/2024

Β«13456734
_sims_Yimi_sims_Yimi Posts: 1,747 Member
Tales of Camelot

prologue.jpg?w=1024
A Sims 4 story based on the legend of Camelot, King Arthur, Merlin, and Morgana Le Fay. The story will follow them through childhood, teenage years, and finally end in adulthood.

Hi simmers!

Hopefully you're all doing well! One of the advantages of quarantine is that I've finally had a chance to reconnect with my childhood hobby. I downloaded the Sims Medieval, found CC for it in the Sims 4... and the itch to start storytelling again was too strong to ignore.

For those of you who like to read narrative-driven stories, please give Tales of Camelot a try here!

Yimi

The story so far (spoilers ahead!):

banner-kids-3.jpg?w=1024
ARC 1
Prologue - Fate
Arc 1 follows Arthur and Morgana as children, as they learn to navigate the world of medieval court. Follow the siblings as they befriend commoners, make enemies out of nobles and family alike, take bets and unearth secrets that were never meant to see the light of day.

banner-teensa-1.jpg?w=1024
ARC 2
Prologue, Part I - Time
Arc 2 focuses on a much larger cast, that has grown with Arthur and Morgana as they grew into teenagers. Our main cast face the complications of war, the nightmare of arranged marriages, the dangers of magic and the pain of unrequited love.

arc-3-banner-final-2.png?w=1024
ARC 3
Prologue - Ego
The story takes a darker turn in Arc 3 as the wheel of fate turns on our main cast. The right thing to do becomes increasingly difficult when all colours are grey. When loyalties are tested, bonds are harmed and lives are at stake, can our cast remain true to each other?
J6AKQqX.jpg
Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
Post edited by _sims_Yimi on

Comments

• mercuryfoammercuryfoam Posts: 1,156 Member
    I'm loving your storytelling. Beautiful screenshots and writing. I'm hooked for sure! And Poor Merlin!
    The poor boy! Such a harrowing experience for him to have gone through. His grandmother was doing a good deed! King Uther is fearful of a good woman? I'm glad there are some sympathisers among the onlookers. Some of them may have benefitted from her magic too. I think the king missed an opportunity there.

*claps* I can't wait to read more!
  • _sims_Yimi_sims_Yimi Posts: 1,747 Member
    edited May 2022
    Oh, looks like we can place images in the first message again. Woo!
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
    edited May 2020
    Hi Everyone! I hope you're all doing well. My cats have learned the meaning of the human word "dinner". Now I can't say it in any sentence without them starting to meow like crazy...

A new chapter has been finished! Please find it here: 1.1 - Gawain, Part One . Hope you'll enjoy it. Cheers! =)
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    edited May 2020
    Hello comments in spoiler! :smiley:
    You must put a lot of thought in your writing. That was a really lovely chapter. I came out of it getting to know everyone's characteristics and personality just a little bit more, what character dynamics are like and political system/hierachy! :smile: I am impressed as well with your knowledge on medieval times (did I get the era right?) and your pictures.
    @mercuryfoam, I'm glad you liked it. =) Next one is planned for coming Wednesday. I hope I can catch up on Between Two Worlds a bit by then, too!
    The truth is, I'm just improvising most of the medieval stuff as well based on what I've seen/read in books and movies, so I'm glad it seems somewhat realistic :) It'll be mostly getting to know the characters for the next few chapters, but do you think it would be fun to let people choose what actions they take in the future?
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hi, all! I hope you're all having a good day. Please find the next chapter here: 1.2: Gawain, Part Two!
    My sim opened the fridge today, and there was a freezer bunny inside. I don't know if it was base-game or some cc that I absent-mindedly added, but it was a fun surprise!
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    edited June 2020
    Hi @_sims_Yimi, I can safely say at this point at Ch 1.2 that I am an absolute fan of your writing. I love your vivid descriptions, language, structure, and screenies. And I would love it if you could answer my question. I don't think its a spoiler so I'm leaving it out in the open. Maybe someone else would like to join the discussion who knows :)

I'm absolutely loving your thorough understanding of royals and the powerplay it entails. How did you gather such resource for your writing? Was it personal experience or research or both? And how long (duration) did it take you to accumulate such resource?

Also do you plan to put a banner on your thread? It'll help readers gather quickly what your story is about.
    edited June 2020
    @mercuryfoam , thank you so much. I love your story, so that means a lot :) I'll try to answer as best I can!

I'm definitely not an expert on the subject - most of it is improvised, though I do use certain games, books and movies for material (the winter palace from Dragon Age, Game of Thrones although I'm not a fan of it, Outlander, etc). If I'm really not sure of something, google usually has answers, though those are pretty weird sometimes as well. I had to look up medieval insults the other day. There's some weird ones out there. xD

How do you do research for the parts that you can't improvise? I read that you make your own poses. Did you start with that because it seemed interesting, or because the poses you needed weren't made yet? Either way, it's impressive!

I want to, but other than borders, I'm not great with picture editing :s there's some really cool ones on the forums. Maybe I can just put in a picture of the castle? Would that be enough? :D
    Edit: I tried it. xD
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    edited June 2020
    @_sims_Yimi Lol I can't wait to see these 'medieval insults' in your story!! XD

Ah that makes a lot of sense now. It makes sense given how passionate you are on it! Out of all the examples you've listed I only recognise GoT, but even then I watched the final, but not much in between. I like reading historical simLit and medieval times is something I'm intrigued in so I really like how by reading your work, I get insights to those times, of course with your spin on it, to which is entertaining for me :D

About mine:
    Since this is your thread, I don't think it's appropriate to discuss my work. I've been told that it's akin to hijacking someone else's thread, and any thing we discuss about should be of the author's work. Otherwise, a person may seem like they're promoting their own even if it isn't their intention. So I've took that advice, and I don't want to do that here. If you do want to discuss about it, you could hop onto mine. But that wasn't my intention when I asked you those questions I just really wanted to pick your brain, as you already knew! :tongue:

About the banner:
    I'm bringing up the subject about banners because I assume many simmers would only take a few seconds to process a thread before moving on (my definition of browsing) and if they do, they wouldn't be able to formulate any idea on what your story is about. So if you had a visual prompt showing medieval times, featuring characters. It'll grab their interests! I think its such a shame that word hasn't gotten out yet. But I notice its hard starting out so this is actually normal. But I like your work so I want it to be out there! xD
    @mercuryfoam There's some very entertaining ones, but my favourites have gotta be "Fopdoodle" and "Mandrake Mymmerkin". I'll leave their meanings to your imagination. :D
    Ah, I see. That didn't even occur to me, actually, but I can see how it could be interpreted that way, yeah :)

Banner:
    Oh, hang on. You mean a banner at the first post, not in the signature. Derp. Good morning, brain. Where have you been? :D
    Hehe, thank you for being so enthusiastic ^^ I'll try to mess around with TS4 to see if there's a good picture somewhere.
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hi, guys! I hope you're all having a good weekend. My group is about to play d&d, and as a good DM I'm of course preparing properly for it.
    By playing the sims. Because of course I am.
    *Cough* sue me, table.
    You can find the next chapter here: 1.3 - Gawain, Part Three Hope you enjoy!
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Chapter 1.3
    I'm leaning towards Prince Richard having spies among her bridesmaids or just in general among the employs in the kingdom. He really knows how to plant the seeds of doubt in Morgana's mind. She'll be constantly looking over her shoulder like that! I felt so much dread for Gawain. His wooden sword, his small stature, just how terrible the odds are stacked against him.

This kidnapper is mysterious. I am leaning towards him being employed. By who? No clue. And am wondering if he's magical himself since theres a 30 foot drop into a narrow canal! Woah. Even if he were to drop in the pond I think he'd hit the bottom. But you've portrayed him to be very experienced, so I wouldn't be surprised if he were a simple man.

I'm so happy for all its horrors, there's a good end! I still don't trust Prince Arthur, but he's showing me a different trait this time. gratitude! So I'll leave him alone but I bet he's gonna add to Gawain and Morgana's troubles in the future! :smiley:
    Chapter 1.3
    I'm leaning towards Prince Richard having spies among her bridesmaids or just in general among the employs in the kingdom. He really knows how to plant the seeds of doubt in Morgana's mind. She'll be constantly looking over her shoulder like that! I felt so much dread for Gawain. His wooden sword, his small stature, just how terrible the odds are stacked against him.

This kidnapper is mysterious. I am leaning towards him being employed. By who? No clue. And am wondering if he's magical himself since theres a 30 foot drop into a narrow canal! Woah. Even if he were to drop in the pond I think he'd hit the bottom. But you've portrayed him to be very experienced, so I wouldn't be surprised if he were a simple man.

I'm so happy for all its horrors, there's a good end! I still don't trust Prince Arthur, but he's showing me a different trait this time. gratitude! So I'll leave him alone but I bet he's gonna add to Gawain and Morgana's troubles in the future! :smiley:
    That's a very good guess! And definitely. Nobility means someone to be careful of in any situation, but Richard dials that up to eleven, even as a kid.

I'm not sure if it was clear in the chapter, but he actually used a spell to put her to sleep.

Arthur... has a long way to go yet :D he's a spoiled rich kid, but that's not entirely his fault. *looks at Uther* I swear, I gave this guy completely different traits but all he does is spoil his kids, especially on autonomy mode. I think he tried to gift Arthur a computer. No idea where he got it from. We're in the middle ages, Uther, get with the program! xD

He also stuffs his face with cake whenever I leave him alone for too long. We're a few days in and he's already getting a bit of a tummy. Oh, the sims. :D
    06-05-20-4-14-41-PM.png

Thank you for reading! I'm glad you enjoyed it.
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hi, guys! Did you know that the Grim Reaper is wearing a freezer bunny on his chain?

New chapter for those who like it: 1.4 - Uther
    J6AKQqX.jpg
  • SkeilahSkeilah Posts: 1,762 Member
    edited June 2020
    Whoa, this story is gooood! Bookmarked! <3
    koppTCP.pngSubscribe to my WordPress blog to stay updated!
  • ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    Just finished reading everything available.
    I have to say this is very good. The flow of the story is almost perfect, the events are entertaining and characters are very distinct to be memorable, All of them.

On the negative side I would like to point out that some of the dark images are a tad too dark. While I understand the reasoning for this, it can be bit taxing to see all the details.

Another negative point I have to make is relative visual similarity between characters (Children especially) in terms of facial designs. While I perfectly understand the reasoning behind limiting usage of CC's , this little detail is very obvious.

Last thing I would like to pint out is that sometimes (chapter 1.1 comes to mind) chapters feel as if they are outstaying their welcome.

Other than that - very very well done. Looking forward to more.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
    @Skeilah , hi! I'm glad you like it, and thank you for bookmarking <3
    ArcherDK wrote: Β»
    Just finished reading everything available.
    I have to say this is very good. The flow of the story is almost perfect, the events are entertaining and characters are very distinct to be memorable, All of them.

On the negative side I would like to point out that some of the dark images are a tad too dark. While I understand the reasoning for this, it can be bit taxing to see all the details.

Another negative point I have to make is relative visual similarity between characters (Children especially) in terms of facial designs. While I perfectly understand the reasoning behind limiting usage of CC's , this little detail is very obvious.

Last thing I would like to pint out is that sometimes (chapter 1.1 comes to mind) chapters feel as if they are outstaying their welcome.

Other than that - very very well done. Looking forward to more.

@ArcherDK
    Thank you for the feedback, I really appreciate it!
    Noted about some of the pictures being too dark. I will keep it in mind in the future and try to make them a little lighter.
    I've only just begun to download CC for sims specifically, so I'm still trying things out. I do feel like it's hard to make non-cc sim kids stand out from each other - even if they look very different as teenagers, the child faces are very alike. I'm not entirely sure what to do about this. Do you have any recommendations for this? (I'm not sure if we're allowed to talk about cc here? :/ )
    J6AKQqX.jpg
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    It’s great! πŸ˜πŸ‘ I liked the bit with Morgana blackmailing Arthur. πŸ˜‚ Bookmarked so I can keep reading.
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! πŸ˜Šβ˜•οΈπŸŒž
  • ajamkeevinajamkeevin Posts: 278 Member
    Just started, and I don't want to read through the thread to avoid spoilers, but I just have to say: WOW, is this beautifully screenshotted and written. It's so, so good! I'll be binging, for sure. :wink:
  • lone_catlone_cat Posts: 417 Member
    This is really good! :) I love all the politics involved, and that this starts off when they are young kids. I look forward to seeing how each of them grows up and what kind of people they become.

On a side note, the link for the prologue doesn't work.
    @ncisGibbs02 , thank you! I hope you'll continue to like it o:)
    @ajamkeevin , Thank you for the compliment :) I'm trying to get caught up with yours as soon as possible, too!
    @lone_cat oh wow, I didn't even realize the link didn't work. Fixed it! Thank you so much for the heads-up :D
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    @_sims_Yimi

Ahh... just here to vent because of the emotional rollercoaster you gave me!! :D<3
    @mercuryfoam Haha... I want to say sorry, but I'm really not sorry :D
    And to think that the real roller coaster hasn't even begun yet... we're still in the introductions :*
    J6AKQqX.jpg
  • DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    Just read the prologue. So good! Poor Morgana, I feel so bad for her. I'm loving the writing and how the pictures fit with the story beautifully. Will read more later, but I've bookmarked it for now. :)
  • ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    Ooh, that's quite the introduction (I've only read the prologue so far)!

I have a question - possibly a spoilery one so no worries if you don't want to give it away 😊 How closely are you planning to follow the King Arthur legends and Merlin and Morgana's story?