Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cannot edit apartment balcony in Evergreen Harbor

Comments

• Options
    Wintermist_SWEWintermist_SWE Posts: 342 Member
    edited June 2020
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    Maybe it's just because I'm married to a computer programmer, but seriously guys, you don't even realize how [removed by EA_Mai]. When he says they tried to get it to work, I believe him. And you are all acting like he just didn't give a [removed by EA_Mai] and left you hanging.

There are plenty of bugs in the game to be mad about that they haven't fixed. This... it's just a sense entitlement.

Oh no, you can't throw that around here. First of all the game was showcased everywhere with balconies you could use, so the expectation of the product you're about to get was clear as day. Secondly is the price of the expansions themselves, it's almost the price of a full game, each and every time.

Lastly, yes they failed at getting it working in the time they had to push this out, which I would guess judging by the amount of bugs it came with surely wasn't enough time.

I just had one question about this and it was if they intended to fix it later or leave it as a failed experiment. Don't throw this entitled [removed by EA_Mai] around so lightly.
    Post edited by EA_Mai on
    You're Breathtaking!
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    edited June 2020
    Deleted.
    Post edited by lisamwitt on
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    I think I would have been less disappointed if they had let us know as soon as they had made the decision. It would have been the most transparent way to go for me, rather than wait a few days after many players started asking about it.
  • Options
    l0keyrosel0keyrose Posts: 71 Member
    Thanks for the information @SimGuruFrost . After noticing this I went and looked at the City Living apartments and saw at least one where you could edit the balcony. Maybe due to the packs being different there's some technical issues in making it work but if you can edit balconies with those apartments why doesn't this work with the new ones?

They literally explained the answer to your question already....the apartments in CL don’t change like the ones in EL.

How did u do that GIF under ur message
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    l0keyrose wrote: »
    Thanks for the information @SimGuruFrost . After noticing this I went and looked at the City Living apartments and saw at least one where you could edit the balcony. Maybe due to the packs being different there's some technical issues in making it work but if you can edit balconies with those apartments why doesn't this work with the new ones?

They literally explained the answer to your question already....the apartments in CL don’t change like the ones in EL.

How did u do that GIF under ur message

I saved it from someone else’s signature lol. So I think you can right click and copy and then go to settings in your profile to paste it in.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited June 2020
    @lisamwitt
    Nobody is being entitled. it's just a fact that they can't seem to handle bugs and even completing features in certain instances. I'm a programmer myself, so I know how hard it can be. Doesn't mean that they get a pass releasing sub par content because 'it's hard'. We pay a lot for that content. It's not like they give it out free. I think everyone understands that they had to release it like this if they didn't have time. That's all good and well. But there's a legitimate fear that they won't actually update it in the future. They just leave it like it is, because that's what they do when something is too hard. That's why people give this feedback. Saying it's entitlement is nonsensical.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    Hmm, always throwing around entitlement is rude to other players. It is not entitlement when they advertise a product in a certain light to get people to buy said product. They even handed out demos (alpha and beta) of said product to influencers to further their sale pitch. Back in my younger days this would be called false advertising. People pay for said product have the right to get what was advertised. What you are calling entitlement is actually used in a negative and rude way. They did not give this product for free. They charged for it.
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    gamekitten wrote: »
    Hmm, always throwing around entitlement is rude to other players. It is not entitlement when they advertise a product in a certain light to get people to buy said product. They even handed out demos (alpha and beta) of said product to influencers to further their sale pitch. Back in my younger days this would be called false advertising. People pay for said product have the right to get what was advertised. What you are calling entitlement is actually used in a negative and rude way. They did not give this product for free. They charged for it.
    Yeah, I actually watched those game changer videos and was looking forward to playing with that apartment with the balcony. I feel tricked. :s
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    edited June 2020
    Deleted.
    Post edited by lisamwitt on
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    @SimGuruFrost You guys need to figure it out, because not having a usable balcony is not acceptable IMO. I understand that you had to release the pack like this because of the bugs it caused, but honestly I expect more from a AAA game developer than just giving up. One of the biggest problems the game has it that you guys can't handle bugs.
    The fact that the balcony is unusable makes the apartment basically unplayable to me. It's a big bummer, and that's not even accounting for all the other feature breaking bugs in this pack. I don't even know what to say anymore. All of this is just sad.

Preach for I agree!
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    edited June 2020
    I commend the Sims team for thinking outside the box and cramming a ton of new features and game play into this EP. This was a huge undertaking, and it's one of the few EP's that truly feel expansive enough to be considered an EP. And it will be even better once the game breaking bugs are fixed. I really do hope that the flack they receive over this does not hinder them from trying new things and experimenting with new game play features in the future. That being said...

As a 20-year veteran player of the Sims franchise, I feel entitled to the game that is shown and hyped prior to release. I waited to see the balcony apartment in the live stream, but they steered clear of it. Then the Game Changers came out with their videos showing the balcony in use. If it was known to be missing from the game, then it should have been brought to the community's attention prior to release. And given that they knew to stay away from it in the live stream tells me they knew then, before the Game Changer videos. To not be forthright is a severe lack of judgement at best, or underhanded at worst. And then they waited four days after release before even addressing it once the majority of simmers who would buy the pack have already done so.

I'm not angry. I feel insulted. If they had told us in the live stream the lengths and depths they went to make it work and it just couldn't be done, I would have been disappointed, but I would have understood. It's the delivery of this news that I take issue with. That's the insulting part.

I was fine with the My First Pet pack even when many simmers felt it was a cash grab. I was totally cool with Eco having reused animations if it meant more stuff and game play. I have dutifully reported the oodles of bugs I've encountered, and I'm waiting patiently for them to fix most (and the modding community to fix the rest.) Eco Lifestyle is still one of my favorite packs thus far, and I'm glad they took the risk.

So there you have it. My criticism/praise sandwich for what it's worth.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• Options
    dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    I‘d rather not have balconies at all than balconies that are unusable.
  • Options
    dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    gamekitten wrote: »
    Hardcore simmers are the only people on this planet that think opposing false advertisement is entitlement.
  • Options
    caliposscaliposs Posts: 320 Member
    edited June 2020
    Arguing about a balcony? Only in the Sims community! We really are special huh :lol:
    he/him
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    FlpAmaral wrote: »
    Arguing about a balcony? Only in the Sims community! We really are special huh :lol:

The balcony is really an extension of the uneditable neighbourhood and very few lots. TS3 set expectations very high.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited June 2020
    crocobaura wrote: »

The balcony is really an extension of the uneditable neighbourhood and very few lots. TS3 set expectations very high.

I really thought Sims 4 could have expanded on Sims 3 or even Sims 2 but I guess I was wrong. :) It is not like many would accept what EA/Maxis did with Sims 4, If Sims 2 or Sims 3 did not exist Sims 4 probably would have been accepted by many and there would be no controversy, but that is not the case here as many played Sims 2 and 3 and many liked what was offered EA/Maxis cut everything and here we are today. Sims 4 has improved but in certain areas and not where it counts for me. :)
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    caliposscaliposs Posts: 320 Member

It was just a joke. I mean, in what other game community do you see people arguing about a balcony? :smile:
    he/him
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member

It was just a joke. I mean, in what other game community do you see people arguing about a balcony? :smile:

I think all gaming communities fight about rare commodities. Ours seems to be real estate. :joy:
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited June 2020
    I think the problem is they let these Game Changers play the game in advance and broadcast their videos early so we, the consumers, can see all the features and decide if we like it enough to buy it.

We saw that the new world had editable apartment balconies and got excited, rightfully so. Now after we buy the pack is when we find out that the balconies will not work? It feels disingenuous. They couldn’t even release a statement sometime between the Game Changer videos and the pack release letting us know apartment balconies in the new world don’t work? Why not? That’s the problem I have with this situation.

And the Game Changers (to my knowledge) do not mention the game they’re playing is still in development or something could change. They want to push the idea that they’re not being paid for their review. What they say is EA has allowed them to play the game early, so maybe they should address the language as well.
  • Options
    SnowWolf58SnowWolf58 Posts: 382 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Aine wrote: »
    @SimGuruFrost You guys need to figure it out, because not having a usable balcony is not acceptable IMO. I understand that you had to release the pack like this because of the bugs it caused, but honestly I expect more from a AAA game developer than just giving up. One of the biggest problems the game has it that you guys can't handle bugs.
    The fact that the balcony is unusable makes the apartment basically unplayable to me. It's a big bummer, and that's not even accounting for all the other feature breaking bugs in this pack. I don't even know what to say anymore. All of this is just sad.

Preach for I agree!

I agree too 100%! All EA does is bait and switch for a majority of the time w/the Sims Series. Those of us who have been playing this game now for 20 years are well acquainted w/all the negatives in the plethora of "Oh, it was too hard" excuses and new EP/GP's added that have numerous new bugs/glitches that add to the mess that is the base game.

I am hoping that "Para Lives" will be a great successor to The Sims and will produce great game content and be focused on pleasing their customers FIRST since that's the reason any video game continues to succeed and thrive.
    Ryzen 1700X • 16GB • RX 580

INFJ -A/-T
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Something so obvious should have been identified months ago and a different course of action should have been taken ie remove the balcony. They started work on this last year did they not? They also should have communicated to the early access people that the balcony would not be functional in the final build and they should not use it in their videos.

For me personally I didn’t buy this so I’m not disappointed. I do think it’s unfortunate that minor visual effects are of higher importance than functional stuff, but that’s Sims 4 in a nutshell.
  • Options
    drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    edited June 2020
    lovejess2 wrote: »
    So I can't edit the Pinecrest apartment balcony in evergreen harbour. Does anyone know why? Is this a glitch or do I need to unlock something? If so is there a cheat around that.

All the apartments are like this in Evergreen Harbour.

@SimGuruFrost thanks for clearing that up. Here I was thinking that the devs changed their mind and decided to have balconies for show instead of buildable and playable space.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • Options
    Saga-MinxSaga-Minx Posts: 580 Member
    I just find it a shame, because I love playing with apartments, but also want a garden and that's what those balconies are so good for. :(
  • Options
    Wintermist_SWEWintermist_SWE Posts: 342 Member
    They, as far as I know, haven't actually said they aren't going to fix it for the future so it might arrive one day. Programmers don't like to be defeated by code so I wouldn't be surprised if people want to spend time on it to get it working as it was intended. Back when I was still programming I could never just give up on something like that and the satisfaction when you finally solve a problem is worth more than the salary I was paid in terms of job satisfaction :wink: It's going to bother them as much as it bothers us.
    You're Breathtaking!