Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why are we doing QA for free?

Doesn't EA have a QA team for this? Why all these patches and bug fixes AFTER the fact - delay the release so the game is polished instead of assuming the modders will fix the issues and the users will happily do all the QA testing for you.

This has been the messiest and most disastrous pack release to date - what is EA doing?

Comments

• kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    I dunno about messiest--Realm of Magic turned all our unplayed Sims into occults and it was by design.
    This is just a pack that was made during quarantine. The QA pipeline became more difficult as a result.

And at least they're releasing hotfixes.
    wJbomAo.png
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,018 Member
    kwanzaabot wrote: »
    I dunno about messiest--Realm of Magic turned all our unplayed Sims into occults and it was by design.
    Don't forget that spellcaster eyes didn't work, potions had no value (and when this was finally patched, they were still too cheap to bother selling), and spellcasters couldn't use those design template things until the latest patch. RoM as kind of a mess.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    Don't forget that spellcaster eyes didn't work, potions had no value (and when this was finally patched, they were still too cheap to bother selling), and spellcasters couldn't use those design template things until the latest patch. RoM as kind of a mess.

To this day I still don't visit the Magic Realm because of how terrible it is.
    wJbomAo.png
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    This is just a pack that was made during quarantine. The QA pipeline became more difficult as a result.

And at least they're releasing hotfixes.

I also remember island living being pretty bad too. Freezing on one of the neighborhoods was a pretty bad bug and mermaids were also super broken upon release. There were more bad ones I’m blanking on. I just remember that pack barely working with the little gameplay it offered.

I’m with you though I think they did their best in the current situation and they are releasing hot fixes like you said.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,392 Member
    thecatsred wrote: »
    Doesn't EA have a QA team for this? Why all these patches and bug fixes AFTER the fact - delay the release so the game is polished instead of assuming the modders will fix the issues and the users will happily do all the QA testing for you.

This has been the messiest and most disastrous pack release to date - what is EA doing?

Other game studios are doing this as well not just EA.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,392 Member

To this day I still don't visit the Magic Realm because of how terrible it is.

Yes sims can overheat and die there even at 3am regardless of season and there is no pool to cool them off.
  • SAEldarinSAEldarin Posts: 428 Member
    edited December 2020

Thankfully, not CD Projekt Red. At least there is one company that wants to lead rather than maintain the (low-bar) status quo.

Edited after playing CP2077.
    Post edited by SAEldarin on
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    ....What's QA? Questions answers??
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    SAEldarin wrote: »
    Thankfully, not CD Projekt Red. At least there is one company that wants to lead rather than maintain the (low-bar) status quo.

.... CD Projekt Red, infamous for their crunch culture ? That's your poster boy for "good game dev company" ?
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Qality Assurance. In normal companies they are the folks who make sure the product is how it should be before it goes out the door. I did that for several years at GE (among other places), so know how tough it can be. It can also be very rewarding, and I don't mean $.
  • poisonedsodapoppoisonedsodapop Posts: 1,179 Member
    Yeah honestly this isn't just a Maxis thing. We're in the era of games being patchable and the "fix it later" attitude is common. We're also in the era of shareholders breathing down these companies necks which means the games have to be released at a certain time and not "when it's ready." You can blame this trend in gaming for most of the bleh stuff in gaming in the current gen. Also sims games are just massive games in general so I'm sure it's easy to miss things. I don't know how comprehensive this list is but here's a list of Sims 3 bugs from 2015. Sims 2 had to deploy bug fixes in expansion/stuff packs or you had to download a modder's fix, if you had decent enough internet at the time.
    Hoping some day for some toddlers. But also dreading they'll never come. JK THEY ARE HERE!
  • SAEldarinSAEldarin Posts: 428 Member
    edited December 2020
    happyopi wrote: »
    SAEldarin wrote: »

.... CD Projekt Red, infamous for their crunch culture ? That's your poster boy for "good game dev company" ?

So, I thought most game companies abide by that mantra TBH. Are you saying EA/Maxis doesn't?

And yes, I am saying that CD Projekt Red is my "poster boy" for "good game dev company" as you put it. Any developer that actually tests the product and delays release in order to ensure quality is a better "poster boy" than companies that don't care about quality.

Edited for truth.
    Post edited by SAEldarin on
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,403 Member
    Compared with City Living and Island Living I find this pack rather stable and haven't run into many issues (playing vanilla). What I don't understand is the eco status of my neighborhood which is going up and especially down for no apparent reason. It's risky that the devs rely so heavily on complicated mathematic models here given the fact that it took years to fix the simple restocking mechanic for retail.
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    I'm chalking it all up to them having to work at home because of you know what.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member

The only one i can think of is Bethesda, most games I bought from other devs and publishers are mostly bug free, people reported bug but I dont find any.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • poisonedsodapoppoisonedsodapop Posts: 1,179 Member
    izecson wrote: »

The only one i can think of is Bethesda, most games I bought from other devs and publishers are mostly bug free, people reported bug but I dont find any.

If people are reporting bugs but you don't find any that doesn't make the product bug free. Honestly I'd be surprised if you could point me in the direction of any bug free software cause I'm sure they have all had bugs.
    Hoping some day for some toddlers. But also dreading they'll never come. JK THEY ARE HERE!
  • DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    edited June 2020
    Too many new in-game systems with this pack and patch, all at once, and it all has to work with the multitude of pcs worldwide. I was kinda expecting it.

We also don't know how the corona are influencing interchangeability within Maxis. Rough times for a big release.

[Edit] But to answer your question: yes, kinda, as always.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited June 2020

And they still haven't fixed the immortality spell. Sims die from old age even if they are supposed to be immortal.

However, the Eco Living bugs are far, far more game breaking. NAPs being applied to all sims from all neighborhoods. Entire lots being wiped out due to Sharing is Caring. Bills in every household are $300 no matter how expensive the home is.

I just wish they'd fix it already.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Compared with City Living and Island Living I find this pack rather stable and haven't run into many issues (playing vanilla). What I don't understand is the eco status of my neighborhood which is going up and especially down for no apparent reason. It's risky that the devs rely so heavily on complicated mathematic models here given the fact that it took years to fix the simple restocking mechanic for retail.

You must haven't played very long. Give it time.
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    Yeah, there's really no reason to buy packs at launch anymore with all the bugs they bring about. It's better to wait a week or two to see what's wrong and how it gets fixed. First Adopters are the new QA testers these days...

Shhh! Don't give Bethesda any ideas! They might make their own life sim with that janky old engine they refuse to drop, and when you start up a new family, the Welcome Wagon shows up T-pose gliding to your door!! XD
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • tegteg87tegteg87 Posts: 305 Member
    Oh goodness it’s just the buggiest pack yet. Long list of issues not confined to:

Apartment door in new world has vanished - can’t got to build buy to replace as I’m not allowed to alter apartment shell, so whole apartment is useless

Future Cube item randomly spawns in my sims inventory. Currently there is over 100 in there

Sims obsessed with doing push ups, literally can barely get through an action I tell them without them cancelling to get up and do random exercise (including non active sims)

NAPs are just INSANE. Almost all my community lots now need editing to replace swiped items as they’re useless or can’t function.

Genuinely regret buying this hot mess.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,717 Member
    I would assume that this time because of the pandemic and possibly the new update they did not have time to test everything, they have had some things that have worked pretty poorly before but this time it's pretty scary how bad some things turned out this time. The NAPs, especially sharing is caring seem to ruin it for everyone right now.

I suppose that QA checked so that the pack did not crash the game and that the features were working somewhat, but they never seem to check them for very long though, how did they miss the fact that you can't keep the bugs alive for example?

I'm not sure which people who does the QA testing but they need to have more time to check for things like this so that it can be corrected before release. A lot of other game developers does balancing and testing all the time, especially developers who make competitive games like for example first person shooters, they want to make sure that everything is balanced and is working as intended.
  • Just_PeachyJust_Peachy Posts: 50 Member
    EA, you've done it again, lovey ... constantly lowering the bar!
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited June 2020
    EA, you've done it again, lovey ... constantly lowering the bar!

It's maxis not EA

Shhh! Don't give Bethesda any ideas! They might make their own life sim with that janky old engine they refuse to drop, and when you start up a new family, the Welcome Wagon shows up T-pose gliding to your door!! XD

or worse, other sims standing on another sims's head because they spawn at the same time.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    I have long suspected that EA has automated the QA process. Meaning real people only get involved when the automated process spits out an issue and focus on the “bugs” reported in the release version instead thorough testing prior to release.