Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can we please stop getting suburban, American worlds now?

Comments

• friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    what about egypt with the pyramids valley of the king tombs of the pharaohs and queen to explore as well as ancient temples like karnak abu simbel ect with also the option of having sims live there to learn the history of egypt and culture?
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    I'm absolutely all for different worlds and cultures. The more the merrier, to be honest. There is one condition: Let our sims live there! I didn't care for the resort feature in TS3. I hardly ever send my sims on vacation. I want more diverse worlds for my sims to live in. It always annoys me that my sims can't live in Selvadorada. I'd really love to have a household or two there.

I love Sulani for the weather (no freezing or heatwaves). More worlds like that would be very welcome. There are just too few lots, so I'd appreciate bigger worlds too.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    Personally I don't mind having American like worlds, but then I'm from France so it makes me travel. However I wouldn't mind non American worlds too. For instance, people are saying Evergreen Harbor looks like Oregon or Washington State. It's pretty, but I think it would have been a perfect opportunity for a Nordic type world, based on Denmark or Sweden. Nordic countries are known for being eco-friendly, and the Aurora Borealis would have fit better.
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    Hear, hear! I must admit I am getting a little sick of American inspired worlds. Don't get me wrong, America is beautiful, but it would be nice to have a world that feels a little more like my home in the UK. I would also love something Mediterranean inspired. I just want more variety.
  • Wintermist_SWEWintermist_SWE Posts: 342 Member
    I want a snow world to live in :(
    You're Breathtaking!
  • Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited June 2020
    TS4's approach of replicating real places means that making mostly American worlds creates an obviously American universe. It worked in TS3 bc TS3's worlds remained non-specific enough for me to not feel like they were real places. Sure, there were similarities, but there wasn't an overwhelming feeling of "we tried to make this look exactly like XY." They remained fictional, and were big enough with enough variety within themselves to not be boring. I actually think Strangerville is one of my favourite worlds bc it is entirely fictional.
    TS4's worlds are small and highly detailed, thus:
    1) creating highly specific environments that have a very tangible feeling and
    2) forcing you to travel to other worlds for activities and lot types.

1) Worlds having such tangible feelings are great until you've played in them too many times. Then you move on to the next world, only for the same thing to happen until all the worlds annoy you, bc that tangible atmosphere is now a tangible feeling of claustrophobia and dread.
    2) Let's suppose you only have the base game, you live in Oasis Springs and Willow Creek makes you want to scream. You want to go to the library, but OS doesn't have a library and there isn't any space left to place one. So, you are forced to travel to WC to use the library. The game relying on you to travel all the time means that you are exposed to multiple or all of the worlds at the same time in the same save. While I love being able to travel freely between worlds, being forced to do it leaves little difference between different saves - especially since story progression doesn't exist yet so the worlds remain static. I try to remain mostly within one world when I play for a more realistic experience, but it's basically impossible in tiny worlds if I don't want to stay in my house at all times (I don't bc that's boring).
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    I would love an African world and a Mediterrain world with ancient architecture.
  • kidlit59kidlit59 Posts: 28 Member
    > @Babykittyjade said:
    > I agree with both posts. I am desperately waiting for more exotic worlds be it fantasy or just another country. And I'm so tired of the suburbs which is why I love evergreen harbor.
    >
    > To second what sindocat said people complain either way and their efforts are always met with complaints and criticism from most.
    > Simguruninja recently said they gave us newcrest because we were asking for an empty world and got dirt thrown on their head basically.
    >
    > Most people trash island living they say it's lacking, empty, mermaids are bad etc.and should have been a resort. It's one if my favorites though and I'm eternally grateful they let us live there.🥰
    >
    > A I can say is hopefully we get more exotic worlds in the future.

I love Island Living, too. It's my favorite world. Of course there were things they could have done to make it better, but I especially love how many things you can do right outside your home without traveling. I would love more worlds that offer that. As for making it a resort world, that would have been great and owning more than one house (like a holiday home) is needed, but I just built a lovely treehouse with a romantic bedroom and full bath on the public beach that's on an island by itself. I send my Sims there for a romantic getaway and just take the ladder off so they aren't disturbed (you can't lock the door). Then I stick it back on when they are ready to leave.
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    I'd love a Chinese or Japanese type world as my most wanted new world style.
    I'd like a new world my sims can live in rather than having a vacation world hidden world that is cumbersome to visit and stay in for any length of time.
    I also love Sulani, it's beautiful and the sun is lovely (esp when RL weather is stuck on yuck.) ;)
  • DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    "Horaay, let's have more diversity!"

Everyone: *votes for Europe*
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    edited June 2020
    what about egypt with the pyramids valley of the king tombs of the pharaohs and queen to explore as well as ancient temples like karnak abu simbel ect with also the option of having sims live there to learn the history of egypt and culture?

They could recycle the whole exploration concept and have mummies hiding in the pyramids. Now, while in reality, I have always hated that explorers disturbed the final resting place of someone, I think in a game it could be fun considering all the fun things that could go along with it. Let's say your sim explores and takes something only to become cursed, but randomize the severity of the curse. What about having your sim become Pharaoh or Queen as a job? Have your sims create a story in hieroglyphs. Seriously, playing with other cultures could be so much fun :)

I do think EA is looking at this though based on that long survey that was done. I'll be curious to see if we start to see more culturally diverse worlds pop up in the future.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member

@DominicLaurence Europe has a lot of variety though. The north (Sweden, Norway) is winter wonderland, the middle is full of big cities (Berlin, Paris) and the south is pretty much vacation land because of the Mediterranean Sea (Greece, Italy, Spain).
    So yeah, voting for Europe means we might get one of those 3 things and we desperately need either snowy mountains, big cities or a Mediterranean theme.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    Need some East and South Asian inspired worlds, and some proper Middle Eastern and African things as well, and Mediterranean - I am so sick of generic American neighborhoods.

I'd also love more BLANK worlds with no determinable features of location or time period, with lots of different environments (desert, savanna, mountain valley, bayou/swamp, tundra, more ocean-front properties)

@DominicLaurence Europe has a lot of variety though. The north (Sweden, Norway) is winter wonderland, the middle is full of big cities (Berlin, Paris) and the south is pretty much vacation land because of the Mediterranean Sea (Greece, Italy, Spain).
    So yeah, voting for Europe means we might get one of those 3 things and we desperately need either snowy mountains, big cities or a Mediterranean theme.

The same could be said about any continent. Countries alone like Australia, Brazil, China and a few others contain the same variety of landscapes, if not more, yet don't have nearly the same representation.

Geez, the whole Asia and Africa are forgotten in its entirely, while we already got Windenburg and Britechester.

We need to look farther our bias. But it's easier said than done, I know. And Geography is kinda overlooked in a lot of places.
    Legacy Photomode
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member

We need to look farther our bias. But it's easier said than done, I know. And Geography is kinda overlooked in a lot of places.

@DominicLaurence I agree but choosing Europe doesn't mean we don't choose variety. Like you said Europe has as much variety as lots of other continents. Yet they have only been able to deliver the stereotypical american view of Europe. I don't think they realize there's more than that.

I never said the other continents shouldn't be represented. I would love south east Asia for example.
    I just said choosing Europe is not a bad thing since it has variety.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
    edited June 2020
    We aren't getting more than the stereotypical view of anything, so perfecting Europe until diamond level while others get nothing seems like not choosing diversity to me.

I'll agree to disagree and leave it at that.
    Legacy Photomode
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    The more removed new worlds are from American Suburbia, the happier I will be (as someone who lives in American Suburbia - I got my urban residential with Evergreen Harbor. I'm good.)
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I want a snow world to live in :(

Yes please!!
    McMurdoc Station, Antarctica

4peEeqN.jpg

Puenta Arenas, Chile - the place people use to go through to get to Antarctica.

5605.jpg?width=940&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=ec41007bd8d1479e4595a4634ff438bd

Chile's ski resort:

49324117.jpg

The surroundings:

skiing-chile-o7hpte7mtb2ux0zeez59d3aqpz34glzj2omjmythf4.jpg

You know what? I could very much work with that. <3
    Legacy Photomode
  • bryanovensbryanovens Posts: 41 Member
    We are seeing a new Game Pack coming out soon, and the two most popular themes I have seen among the community feature a Country style or Winter vacation, either of which could add a new world different to this "suburban America" world we are used to.
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    America is beautiful
    American here. No, it is not.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    KayeStar wrote: »
    America is beautiful
    American here. No, it is not.

American here. It is beautiful.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member

Seriously! Thats how I felt after the survey we had :D
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,969 Member
    I don't hugely mind the lack of world variety. It'd be nice to have more diversity but I'm not desperate for it. What annoys me more about the worlds is how tiny they are. Del Sol Valley has six residential lots, three of which are already inhabited, for example. Glimmerbrook is even smaller. I guess it's useful how you can travel between worlds within one save, like with my family who live in Sulani have their club hangouts in different worlds.
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    edited June 2020
    Simguruninja recently said they gave us newcrest because we were asking for an empty world and got dirt thrown on their head basically.

Really? I think for an empty world, it is great. Sometimes, I would like to have had another XL lot, but other than that, I'm real happy with it. It has so many lots and one can do quiet a bit with it especially as time passes and we get more stuff. I just made a bunch of stores recently there and plan to shop at them. Well, I for one am very happy with it and hope they know not everyone is ungrateful for it.

TBH, I don't pay attention to cultures. I look to see what is there in the world, look at the premade sims there, check CAS out, look at build, and most especially look at the buy stuff. It is my favorite. I don't keep count of where the places are. I will say that in Sims3, I went to China very often.

As far as Sulani, it is nice. I take my sims there for just the day sometimes and that is real nice.

As far as how simmers feel about it, well if they compared it to Sims3, then that is probably why some aren't happy. Sims3 had a world, it had several dive lots with underwater life that can be collected(aquariums worth something to put them in) and where sims could dive and hang out with mermaids and sharks and find neat stuff. The houseboats, making your own resort, and the enormous size of the Sims3 Island just doubles in content and world compared to Sims4, but that is how most packs are with the Sims4. Sulani was better than some of our other worlds as far as size and lots offered. The dolphins, offgrid life, and volcano were nice touches. Not sure about the cleaning of the beach and cleaning in Eco; I play to get away from cleaning, so with two EPs about cleaning up and loads of party/drinking/party places, I hope we get something different in the next GP.

PS. If they freed infants, gave us a spectacular kids/toddler/infants GP pack, I think they would be getting all kinds of happy replies. Dangerous Stuff also seemed very popular, so...