Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sharing is caring is annoying.

Comments

• crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    You can always lock your doors or put a fence round your property and lock the gate if you want to keep them out.

They steal from community lots too, not just residential.
  • Tony89Tony89 Posts: 2,196 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    You can always lock your doors or put a fence round your property and lock the gate if you want to keep them out.

No we’re talking about community lots and the sharing is caring NAP not even being voted for, it still happens, and they wipe the community lots clean, with no specific consequences or reactions, while other sims are on the lot and you have to enable build mode and fix the lot.
    NoTalent wrote: »
    Tony89 wrote: »
    Sharing is caring isn’t my current NAP I disabled nice voting and these random sims are still taking objects from community lots

This isn’t fun or cute, it’s taking away from my gameplay and I hate it

I think there's a bug (don't be too shocked) where NAPs from other neighbours apply globally. No matter what neighborhood I go to, people flirt with my Sim due to 'free love' or whatever it is, despite not being active.

In another save, my Sim kept ding push-ups, sit-ups, and stretching, cancelling anything they did as another neighbourhood had it.

You literally just described everything I’m
    Experiencing rn, sims can’t sit and complete any tasks, not even energized but keeps doing stupid push ups and stretching

Anyways since were on the topic kinda

I think it would be cool they could have given us the option to open windows to cool our homes formhwne the conserve power NAP is in affect because with the heat and no air what are Sim’s to do exactly ?
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Tony89 wrote: »
    I think it would be cool they could have given us the option to open windows to cool our homes formhwne the conserve power NAP is in affect because with the heat and no air what are Sim’s to do exactly ?

Cold showers? :wink:

• shorty943pshorty943p Posts: 247 Member
    Yet another reason to prefer the Legacy Edition.
    No THEFT, badly disguised as "Sharing".

Yes, sharing is caring, but, theft is just theft MAXIS.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,284 Member
    edited June 2020
    Sharing is NOT caring when another Sim helps themselves to your Sims stuff and then just keeps it. I disagree, wholly, with the concept. On the other side, sharing is when my Sim allows another Sim to use their stuff for a limited time, but that my Sim remains in ownership of said item.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • shorty943pshorty943p Posts: 247 Member
    Sharing is NOT caring when another Sim helps themselves to your Sims stuff and then just keeps it. I disagree, wholly, with the concept. On the other side, sharing is when my Sim allows another Sim to use their stuff for a limited time, but that my Sim remains in ownership of said item.

Exactly.
    Sharing is how humanity survived all these millions of years.

Stealing, on the other hand, is an easy way to lose a hand in many cultures around this world.
  • JC1979JC1979 Posts: 491 Member
    edited June 2020
    It’s super annoying! I just took my sims (from EH: Grimes Quarry) on a date (Newcrest) and some random NPC (That lives in Brindleton bay)was stealing all the tables and chairs in the restaurant! I thought the neighborhood subjected to “sharing is caring” (or any other NAP) is the one that voted on it; because then preventing non-residential sims voting in other neighborhoods is pointless. What is the deal?!?! Who can put that many chairs and tables in their pocket even?
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    lambcaey wrote: »
    Honestly, why would anybody wanna vote for an act that would let Sims steal from you? That whole act needs to be gotten rid of completely in the next patch.
    Dunno, but one of the activities for Da Mischiefs club is swiping. So, I guess there is a deep yearning for klepto Sims to legalize stealing and make it acceptable. (I don't have Eco Lifestyle)
    You can see it at 1:59 in this vid: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aW3imO97OrI
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
    I’m having so many problems with my game, my sims keep doing push ups and stretching with no energized mood, they can’t walk around objects, they keep canceling and not finishing takes this is annoying!!
  • NoTalentNoTalent Posts: 384 Member
    I don't mind the swiping, but it should straight up make a copy of the item instead of 'stealing it'. Really tired of stripped-down houses and community lots. If it took a copy, I wouldn't mind much that the house I just spent decorating gets cleaned out within five minutes because Geoffrey Landgraab wants more things.

Also, why do non-played Sims have no cooldown? Three hour cooldown for my Sim yet an NPC can smash through an entire building.
  • misty4mmisty4m Posts: 2,266 Member
    I'm testing my save file I did before installing eco and I remove some of the voting boards and turned off NPC voting to see if this help, so far nothing bad but I need to go back into the game and see if this work
    new.png
  • misty4mmisty4m Posts: 2,266 Member
    NoTalent wrote: »
    I don't mind the swiping, but it should straight up make a copy of the item instead of 'stealing it'. Really tired of stripped-down houses and community lots. If it took a copy, I wouldn't mind much that the house I just spent decorating gets cleaned out within five minutes because Geoffrey Landgraab wants more things.

Also, why do non-played Sims have no cooldown? Three hour cooldown for my Sim yet an NPC can smash through an entire building.

I don't mind of the steal from some of my sims store but the bar is crazy, my sim went to the club and all the sims was stealing like crazy.
    new.png
  • RossumRossum Posts: 5 New Member
    100% agree that "Sharing is Caring" is broken as is.

Notable instances I've seen:

During Winterfest Father Winter showed up. I gave him a present of strawberry juice and started cooking a grand meal so I could fill that part of the holiday traditions. Father Winter then stole one of the countertops from my kitchen. This was the first time I saw how Sharing is Caring works and I could barely believe it.

After that, I locked my doors against everyone but household, but allowed employees so the gardener could come and water all my plants. Fortunatly the gardener never takes anything even on the occasions I stop to chat with them.

Then, later Jess Sterling stopped by to chat and I tried inviting her in but the lock wouldn't allow it. Against my better judgement I let her in to serve up one of the new meals. She stole another one of my kitchen counters, this time the one with my dishwasher in it. So I told her to leave and never let her back in.

Then again, Vladislaus started coming by wanting to suck my blood or whatever. I was pretty tired but didn't want to fall asleep with him around and figured I could chat with him or distract him until the sun came up to kill him (I know you can ban vampires from showing up using the door, but it resets every time you leave the lot so it wasn't in effect). So I tried chatting with him and then bought a chess table with two chairs so I could play chess with him over and over till the sun came up. My sim passed out from exhaustion, Vlad got up, he swiped the chess table and both chairs, and left. I bought the simray and waited for him to return the next night, then I froze him, took a nap, froze him again when he thawed out, and let the sun burn him while he was stuck frozen in ice.

Fortunately, you can repeal Sharing is Caring if you can get 5 sim signatures. Which is what I did.

I imagine Sharing is Caring wouldn't be too bad if you had some degree of control over what the other sims could take. Like if you could set up one of those sales tables, but put up a sign saying that sims could just take what they want. Or, some way to mark specific items as things they can take like how when you're running a retail business you mark things for sale, but in this case you could plop a few appliances or craft items on your front lawn with "for free" signs for people.
    Would also be nice if they left something in it's place. Like, if you put a rug or table on your lawn, put some craft items, fruits, or appliances there, and then sims would come by and take items but put other items in their place. So effectively you're randomizing those items, kind of like the Transform Object function in the simray. It wouldn't even be so bad if they tended to put broken/burned items to replace them since you could potentially repair or recycle them.

But yeah, Sharing is Caring is not fun. It pretty much necessitates you locking your doors and gates to keep people out, and it makes all the people who show up at your doorstep even more annoying. Particularly when they're stealing countertops. I mean... it's one thing to steal everything that isn't nailed down, but these sims were starting with the nailed down stuff. That's taking it too far.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Sharing = Sim A learns that sim B is in desperate need of something. Sim A then goes to sim B and voluntarily chooses to meet that need.

What is happening in the game = theft, looting, robbery, and kindred words. All are criminal acts and punishable by jail time if caught and convicted. Depending on the value of the item we could be speaking of a felony, with increased consequences. Regardless of what they call it, or how they may try to justify it/deny the charge, EA is sanctioning criminal behavior in the game. Not a good lesson to be teaching younger players! Yes, I've studied law.
  • RossumRossum Posts: 5 New Member
    > @Oldeseadogge said:
    > Sharing = Sim A learns that sim B is in desperate need of something. Sim A then goes to sim B and voluntarily chooses to meet that need.
    >
    > What is happening in the game = theft, looting, robbery, and kindred words. All are criminal acts and punishable by jail time if caught and convicted. Depending on the value of the item we could be speaking of a felony, with increased consequences. Regardless of what they call it, or how they may try to justify it/deny the charge, EA is sanctioning criminal behavior in the game. Not a good lesson to be teaching younger players! Yes, I've studied law.

You know, another way to "salvage" this might be to rename it something like City of Thieves or something obviously evil. Then, fiddle with the voting system so that the NPCs never vote for it themselves unless they are either evil or the PC tricks them into doing it. Then, any sim that feels like going along with this farce would first dress up in criminal outfits, like those black and white striped shirts with masks on or something.

I mention this possibility because there have been people complaining about a lack of options for evil sims and it's remotely possible that Sharing is Caring was actually intended to do that, but was just poorly implemented. I mean, I'm pretty sure that all this action plan does is just give everyone in town the kleptomaniac trait.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited June 2020
    I thought by sharing is caring, you are free and npc are free to use an object in sims's house that was otherwise not allowed such as shower and cooking meal, I agree the current nap is annoying devs should have play test their own game so they know what they develop is annoying for most players.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Winter0101Winter0101 Posts: 5 New Member
    I’m so annoyed with this! I had a new family in Sulani and the Welcome Wagon turned up. They stole the computer (twice), the kitchen table and chairs, two kitchen counters and a bathroom counter. I would only expect this sharing rubbish to be in the Eco Lifestyle world, not all worlds.
  • LadyEveLadyEve Posts: 38 Member
    Hello all ;)

Well, I had these problems with stolen things as well. BUT I found a mod against it and it works perfect in my game ;)

"ZERO" made this mod, you can get it here for free:

EL - NPC Don't Swipe with Sharing is Caring
    https://www.patreon.com/posts/el-npc-dont-with-38012599

Best regards from Austria

Eve
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited June 2020
    I want the ability to remove some of these stupid N.A P's completely from my game without turning off the neighbourhood voting system. Some of them are just ridiculous and I can't even fathom why anybody thought that they were ever a good idea.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited June 2020
    lambcaey wrote: »
    Honestly, why would anybody wanna vote for an act that would let Sims steal from you? That whole act needs to be gotten rid of completely in the next patch.

Because you can also steal from others. I don't mind it so much, I can always lock my doors or set 'no trespassing.' I'm playing a homeless sim who voted for it because... Well, it's self-explanatory. Lol. Even though you may find no value in it, please do not ask for features to be removed completely because there is always someone who values that gameplay.

The real problem is the excessive stealing from community lots. I do not want to keep refurnishing them every time I play, and it also destroys the university lots. That needs to be fixed asap.
    Post edited by IceyJ on
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    I think it’s bugged. Or I hope it is.
    My sim was in the pub in Evergreen Harbor, as she sat having a drink the pub was stripped piece by piece by the same two sims. They took all the tables, The benches, the tv, the bar stools as soon as they were vacated, the duke box. And to add insult to injury the two sims doing it were not locals of Evergreen Harbor, they lived in Windenburg and Willow Creek. I didn’t think that was meant to happen? My sim who did live in Evergreen Harbor couldn’t take anything from the pub.

Watching the entire pub get stripped slowly piece by piece with no consequence whatsoever is ridiculous, it’s not chaos, It’s not realistic, it’s just annoying knowing I’ll have to go back in and re decorate the pub later.

Honestly, Sharing is Caring can stay, but it needs to ONLY apply to non-dorm residential lots. I think the spirit of the NAP is lost when people can just loot any old lot willy nilly. Something like a neighborhood vote is the residents voting to help one another out - so Sharing is Caring is Bob Pancakes saying that Mortimer Goth can come and take his grill at any time as long as Bob can go over and take Mortimer's chessboard. It's not your local pub or museum allowing you to come in and ransack a place of business, since the pub or the owner aren't neighbors and they have legitimate business or services to provide. I think if they add the "Non-Dorm Residential Only" caveat to Sharing is Caring, it would make things 10000% more better.

This, exactly.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    Not only is it annoying, but my sim couldn't "borrow" anything while other sims stole stuff.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited June 2020
    This is insane!

My bar in San Myshuno is unfinished and has a "!" now because the sims took the tables and the chairs when I visited with my sim who lives in Evergreen Harbor, I have not even played any household in San Myshuno. I just visited a festival with my sim.

9pgbyXL.png

What the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 were you thinking Maxis? You can forget that I will buy any more packs from you until you have fixed this.