Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Where are the fathers?

So we have 2 couples that are women in this new pack. One of each couple has a kid. The Tinker's and Knox's mothers. Where are the father figures? Where's Knox's Dad? Where's the little Tinkers kids Dad? Why is it that they are just NOT THERE? Maybe I would want to play them. I want to know why they are missing. If you are going to make same sex couples with children, You can just exclude the Dad. It's kinda sexist.

Comments

• SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    Or, make more male same sex couples with kids. Gay men start families too, you know...
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • StilettoBlackStilettoBlack Posts: 3,844 Member
    Ok, then add the mother.
  • smoothyrus129smoothyrus129 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Maybe the children are adopted. Maybe the father is simply a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 donor.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    Maybe the children are adopted. Maybe the father is simply a 🌺🌺🌺🌺 donor.
    A Mac eyeliner make-up donor.
    EZnaus_XsAIYFcP?format=jpg&name=large

AHAHAHA XD!! Perfect!

...But in all seriousness, does it matter where the fathers are?! Two women are perfectly capable of raising a child. >.<
    Sure, they can raise a child. When they are older, wouldn't they want to know who their dad is? Doner or not?
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,176 Member
    The family description actually states that Knox is adopted, so that one is solved. His biological parents have probably died by flies or something.

As for the Tinker family, in the sims 4 sims of the same gender can have biological children together by changing their gender options in CAS, so perfectly normal. I'm not sure if that is the case for one of them, I haven't played their household. But essentially, a sims 4 kid can have two biological parents of the same gender.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    aaronrulz wrote: »
    It can be kind of rude to ask a lesbian couple where the dad is to their kids. This is not sexist. It's just your ignorance

I would never ask a same gender couple about a biological parent. But as a child who never met their father, I certainly had interest in at least knowing who he was and where he came from. It's nothing to do with ignorance, it's simply knowing that everyone deserves to know their ancestry, even if the people that raised you are the ones you consider your real parents.

And in the sims, it cuts down on story telling opportunities. What if you want to play that child into adulthood? Would an option to go find the biological parent be a good story?
  • aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,096 Member
    edited June 2020
    CelSims wrote: »
    It can be kind of rude to ask a lesbian couple where the dad is to their kids. This is not sexist. It's just your ignorance

I would never ask a same gender couple about a biological parent. But as a child who never met their father, I certainly had interest in at least knowing who he was and where he came from. It's nothing to do with ignorance, it's simply knowing that everyone deserves to know their ancestry, even if the people that raised you are the ones you consider your real parents.

And in the sims, it cuts down on story telling opportunities. What if you want to play that child into adulthood? Would an option to go find the biological parent be a good story?

Yes, and a player can create that narrative by making Knox or Olive's fathers if they want to. It's not the Sims Team's job to create how we tell our stories. They created two lesbian couples with children and in no way ignoring the biological father makes them sexist. It shows their progressiveness, solidarity with gay families, and the realism that absentee fathers of children with lesbian parents exist worldwide.
  • NoTalentNoTalent Posts: 384 Member
    edited June 2020
    Or, make more male same sex couples with kids. Gay men start families too, you know...

I was talking to a friend about this a day or so ago, actually. While representation is great – when not done in an overbearing manner and not done for the sake of being accepting – it feels like only the ‘L’ part is getting any decent love as of late.

The only gay couple in the game is Brant and Brent Hecking, who have no children. They came in Cats & Dogs, which released in November 10, 2017. Almost three years ago.

Lesbian couples are as follows:

Oliana Ngata and Leila Illes, who have one child. They came in Island Living, which released in June 21, 2019.

Dela Ostrow and Mia Hayes, who were released in the rebranding update in July, 2019.

Mary Greenburg and Blossom Greenburg, who have an adopted son. They came in Eco Living, which released in June 5, 2020.

Yasemin Tinker and Tina Tinker, who have a daughter. They came in Eco Living, which released in June 5, 2020.

The only ‘confirmed’ bisexual Sim is Caleb Vatore, which is up for debate or not as he tends to, at least in my game, have a heavy preference for girls. Even with cheats to show hidden information, his sexuality is 0% male, 100% female.
  • sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    Maybe the children are adopted. Maybe the father is simply a 🌺🌺🌺🌺 donor.
    A Mac eyeliner make-up donor.
    EZnaus_XsAIYFcP?format=jpg&name=large

LMAOO
    Yes, and a player can create that narrative by making Knox or Olive's fathers if they want to. It's not the Sims Team's job to create how we tell our stories. They created two lesbian couples with children and in no way ignoring the biological father makes them sexist. It shows their progressiveness, solidarity with gay families, and the realism that absentee fathers of children with lesbian parents exist worldwide.

To make a sim the childs father you would have to have them join the household, cheat to change relationships in CAS, then remove them back to their original. Which is it's own little set of issues. Speaking as the child, I would want both my moms or dads labelled as such and the absentee 'parent' to be listed as biological whichever.

While the option to move same gender couples in together and marry is the bare bones realism of legal marriage in some areas of the world, it's barely a nod at the complex family structures that none traditional families often have. My same gendered friends include a father or mother figure into their very close family more often than not.

For me though, it's not about LGBT. It's about the child. Every child, however they ended up with their parents or parent who raise them, deserves to know who their biological parents are. Genetics might be broken sometimes in game but me simply assigned a sim as a parental biological donor does NOT mean that they are related and inherited anything from them.

This is a game. My game. I am the watcher and I have every right to know where the father's are. Like stated above they are making only one kind of same sex couples, 4 of them now, so yeah it is sexist.
    Look at you going on about being rude to someone then in the same breath you are rude to me!
  • StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    It's funny, during my last play Tina Tinker called my sim asking for advice on whether they should have a child or not, being concerned about all the responsibility and all. Having a child already they should have an idea. Sims logic, folks! :P
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member

This is a game. My game. I am the watcher and I have every right to know where the father's are. Like stated above they are making only one kind of same sex couples, 4 of them now, so yeah it is sexist.
    Look at you going on about being rude to someone then in the same breath you are rude to me!

Then create the father in your game. The Sims doesn’t have to make the fathers if they don’t want to and there’s nothing sexist about it. Just like if Brent and Brant has come with a child they probably wouldn’t have created a mother either as she would have been a donor and a lot of people irl don’t meet their donor parents for one reason or other. And sometimes that reason is that the donor doesn’t want to meet the kids that are produced....
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Not every child irl meets both biological parents.
    Many don't.

Does every other Sim of all ages have a biological parent premade? All the parents have thier bio parents in game? I don't play premades.. are Bella and Mortimor's bio parents in the game, if so, what about their parents' parents or their parents'parents parents.. I'm doubting it? The team creates a household, not all the bio relatives as far as Iknow and for any family if we want to add extended family we are able to do it? Not sure this is an issue.
  • sennawalessennawales Posts: 192 Member
    edited June 2020
    Make your own, or download from the gallery. I did some MCCC magic on the Pleasants from the gallery, so Daniel and Mary-Sue from the gallery (Maxis account) are linked in-game to the Britechester twins.

They forgot a toilet? Add it. They forgot a father? Add him. Do whatever you want, it's your save.
  • SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    In my game, most moms don't know who the dad is either. As far as gay couples, we have the Hecklings, a male gay couple that came with Cats and Dogs. I've kinda wanted to play them and let them adopt.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    Does it really matter? Is it really hard to make your own? Isn't that the purpose of The Sims, to make your own world and do whatever you want with it?
    funny-gifs20.gif

• RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited June 2020
    I created biological parents and a brother for Knox. It literally took about six hours to trick my game into allowing the relationships simultaneously and fixing all the issues that came along with it. But I’m happy with his family now.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • TheGreatGorlonTheGreatGorlon Posts: 382 Member
    So we have 2 couples that are women in this new pack. One of each couple has a kid. The Tinker's and Knox's mothers. Where are the father figures? Where's Knox's Dad? Where's the little Tinkers kids Dad? Why is it that they are just NOT THERE? Maybe I would want to play them. I want to know why they are missing. If you are going to make same sex couples with children, You can just exclude the Dad. It's kinda sexist.

Well, you can exclude the dads and have it be perfectly fine, just as easily as you could exclude the mothers if you had M/M same sex couples. Showing both biological parents isn't a necessity, and the only reason a kid would ever develop this desire or need to figure out who their biological parents are would be if someone blew it out of proportion as this big ordeal to the point where they believed it was a thing they needed to know. I've known adopted people who did want to know who their bio parents were. I've also known adopted people who didn't care who their bio parents were, because their bio parents aren't their actual loving parents, and thus didn't matter. I'm sorry you have this expectation that someone is missing and should have been there in the game, but that's a problem you have conceived with the couples in Eco Living, and not really a problem that actually exists. As someone else has mentioned, if you think they need fathers, by all means use CAS to make them a father. Otherwise, just roll with it, because not every family or child needs to be held to heternormative standards and somehow believe that they're not whole just because they don't have 1 man and 1 woman involved in their kids' lives. I think you're walking on the knife's edge with this topic in terms of offending people, so you may want to be careful.
  • chons95chons95 Posts: 51 Member
    You can have two biological parents of the same gender in Sims 4, so maybe there's not a father nor donor? I don't have the EP to check the family tree but that is a possibility that may not adjust to your gameplay but it's how the game works. I actually really liked that and have used it in many of my households.
    edited June 2020
    Showing both biological parents isn't a necessity, and the only reason a kid would ever develop this desire or need to figure out who their biological parents are would be if someone blew it out of proportion as this big ordeal to the point where they believed it was a thing they needed to know. I've known adopted people who did want to know who their bio parents were. I've also known adopted people who didn't care who their bio parents were, because their bio parents aren't their actual loving parents, and thus didn't matter. I'm sorry you have this expectation that someone is missing and should have been there in the game, but that's a problem you have conceived with the couples in Eco Living, and not really a problem that actually exists. As someone else has mentioned, if you think they need fathers, by all means use CAS to make them a father. Otherwise, just roll with it, because not every family or child needs to be held to heternormative standards and somehow believe that they're not whole just because they don't have 1 man and 1 woman involved in their kids' lives. I think you're walking on the knife's edge with this topic in terms of offending people, so you may want to be careful.

Well you certainly managed to offend me. As someone who has not met one of my biologicals I can tell you that there are more reasons to wanting to know who they were than 'someone blowing it out of proportion'. Wanting to know where you came from genetically and the historical story of your particular set of genetics is NOT the same as wanting to meet that gene donor or have them in any way in your life.
    And it doesn't mean your adopted parents weren't actual loving parent either.

If you look at the Tinker family in CAS, you will see that Yasmin and Tina are married. Yasmin is the mother of Olive, Tina is listed as 'household member' to Olive. Why can't I change that to also be mother? Same sex pregnancies are possible in game and even if the other parent was a donor etc, allowing that change would enable more accurately portray a happy family unit.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    If I felt I needed a given sim's parent, I'd go into CAS, use Genetics to randomize up the missing parent, then to manage households to split them into their own household.

Simple and done. The story is now set for whatever I want to use them for.