Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I returned to sims 3, I don't think I can ever return to sims 4.

Comments

• ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,355 Member
    CarlaL wrote: »
    Really, excellent! Some pointers will be greatly appreciated.
    And how do I check they are free from virus or malware before I put them into place?

Sliders are package files and they don’t have viruses or malware. However, some download links are ‘iffy’ so you have to be careful where you click. An ad on a page that says ‘download’ will try to trick you into downloading malware instead of the download you are trying to get. Sliders are the easiest to find and many creators on Tumblr share their whole slider folder. I’ll link a few tomorrow when I boot up my desktop.

Some CC can be dangerous to your game, but not to your computer. I’ll add a bunch of links tomorrow unless some helpful soul beats me to it. :)

S3PE is a great tool but a little intense to learn to use because you need to know what you’re looking at when you open a package and that can take awhile to learn. It is really good for merging your package files.

I have a tutorial on that here:

https://youtu.be/0wsoYbklAJw

If you link your store wish list in your signature you will receive a free gift from the store! A friend has some extra points she’d like to use for gifting.
  • HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    Daravi wrote: »
    When Sims 3 was released I was really angry about it. In Sims 2 had so much stuff and fun, in the new Sims 3 I had nothing but ugly sims and a complicated camera. Many content which felt important for me was deleted then. There wasn't even a guitar anymore. I took an important lesson, if you like a sims game wait with the follower game until they release the things or content you like or wait for longer. They want to earn money, so they have to do something for it.

I flip-flop between both as there are things in one game that aren’t in the other and vice versa.🥰
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • McToshMcTosh Posts: 638 Member
    I remember excitedly buying Sims 4. I bought it the day it came out. Installing it on the edge of my seat, watching the little progress bar with intensity. Another sims game! Yes!

Finally got to play...

Exited after 10 minutes, uninstalled, never played it since.

What a huge disappointment.

Thank god my beautiful simmies in Sims 3 were still there for me. I've been playing sims 3 since 2009 and I've YET to see/do everything in the game. Crazy.

I've never actually owned or trained a horse yet for example. I'll get around to it at some point :D
    ewb7fssg3zet.pngingame: commandermctosh feel free to add ;D
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited June 2020
    McTosh wrote: »
    I've been playing sims 3 since 2009 and I've YET to see/do everything in the game. Crazy.

I've never actually owned or trained a horse yet for example. I'll get around to it at some point :D
    ^^This! :)

I was never in a great rush to experience everything the game has to offer as quickly as possible. What's the hurry? But it was back when I purchased what we knew would be the final two EPs that I realized I wanted to throttle the new experiences even more so that I would always have something fresh to look forward to. So here we are almost seven years later (sheesh!) and I only just got a household vacationing in Isla Paradiso (Traveler mod) to go windsurfing, boating together as a group, acquire their very own formerly hidden island, and explore it. Okay, so the island is the size of a postage stamp and there wasn't much to explore other than pretty places to sunbathe, this probably isn't a very good place to set up a resort or a retail outlet, but I'll find a use for it somehow. The rest of it was totally fun for me though. The looks of wonder and awe on my sims' faces as they motorboated around Isla P taking in all the sights were priceless. I haven't even sent them deep sea diving yet, although that I managed to do with those who came before them way in the past.

And then we have the many things we did with our sims long ago and may have forgotten about, so we kind of do get to experience them for the first time (again). :)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • TwicelikeyTwicelikey Posts: 176 Member
    Returned to The Sims 3..got bored after 10 minutes and went back to 4. Not sure why, I continuously ask myself this but it's good that other people still enjoy The Sims 3. What isn't good though is the TS3 fans that attack the fans of 4 as if they're missing out on something amazing or just have a bad taste in games. Am not saying it's happening in this specific thread...but it tends to happen in general.
    Actually, there are also some things I haven't even done in sims 3.

I've never:
    *Made it to 10 generations
    *Had a sim join the Criminal career(I'll never do this though as I don't like that career)

Will edit if I think of more.
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,403 Member
    edited June 2020
    Sims 3 was never meant to be a "Do A" and you will get to do "B". It is a sandbox game. You play how you want to play...with no constraints. I don't like being led around by the nose and told to do a list of tasks to get somewhere. In that way Sims 3 appeals to me and other gamers like me who like the flexibility of a story-telling game without being told to ..."DO A...then DO B...then DO C..."

Screenshot-101.jpg
    Plenty of fun for me...I can and have spent sixteen hours on this game...at ONE shot.

This game has been on from June 6 (started) and is now June 8th...if that tells you something. Just ask the EA Servers just how long this game has been on for.

I can just see the EA Head Server Tech going, "That Nikkei_Simmer...IS HE STILL ON??? He logged on the game as of June 6th at 11:42AM and hasn't logged off since."

Edit: June 9th at 8:06PST now
    Post edited by Nikkei_Simmer on
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I got the Sims 3 at launch and I hated it initially as it was so different from my beloved sims 2. But I stuck with it. And I got a new pc which helped. I still play sims 3 every day if I can and there’s a lot I haven’t saw. I’ve never had a meteor hit my town, I’ve never found a genie and I still have yet to get to at least generation 5 (although I have that issue in sims 2 as well)
  • Kylieb191Kylieb191 Posts: 4,653 Member
    I got the Sims 3 at launch and I hated it initially as it was so different from my beloved sims 2. But I stuck with it. And I got a new pc which helped. I still play sims 3 every day if I can and there’s a lot I haven’t saw. I’ve never had a meteor hit my town, I’ve never found a genie and I still have yet to get to at least generation 5 (although I have that issue in sims 2 as well)

If you want a genie, it's in the lifetime rewards bit - only way i've had one anyway :P
    Friends?: http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Kylierose19
    Proud member of the "I own the store" club
    Zpj9msL.png
    The real me:https://twitter.com/CupidStupidLov3
  • Kylieb191Kylieb191 Posts: 4,653 Member
    HillyBeth wrote: »
    Actually, there are also some things I haven't even done in sims 3.

I've never:
    *Made it to 10 generations
    *Had a sim join the Criminal career(I'll never do this though as I don't like that career)

Will edit if I think of more.

done criminal, gave up after level 3 as they kept getting arrested :s
    Friends?: http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/Kylierose19
    Proud member of the "I own the store" club
    Zpj9msL.png
    The real me:https://twitter.com/CupidStupidLov3
  • SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    Twicelikey wrote: »
    Returned to The Sims 3..got bored after 10 minutes and went back to 4. Not sure why, I continuously ask myself this but it's good that other people still enjoy The Sims 3. What isn't good though is the TS3 fans that attack the fans of 4 as if they're missing out on something amazing or just have a bad taste in games. Am not saying it's happening in this specific thread...but it tends to happen in general.

I also have bad taste in game I do play the sims 4 and I am not bored anymore with ^^ (I am also a die hard sims 3 fan and I stil got the sims 2)
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • CarlaLCarlaL Posts: 9 New Member
    > @Nikkei_Simmer said:
    > @CarlaL, One of the programs that I suggest that you download is S3pe (which is a package editor) where you can open up your package files to see just exactly what you are getting. CC sliders come in package format as they are script mods. And S3pe has never been a corrupt file either, so it is safe to download and use as it comes from a reputable source.
    >
    > http://simlogical.com/s3pe.htm
    >
    > I started playing Sims 3 in 2017 (never played any other Sims game before hand - too busy working a 9-5 job when the first one came out in 1999) and by June of that 2017, I was exhorted to use CC. It took me a while to figure it out, but on the whole the Sims 3 playing experience is even better with custom content.

Thanks! I'll try it out later. But I'm not a programming expert, it may be a bit hard to work out some of the logic inside those files.
    Maybe I'll just download some CC. Is the Exchange the best place to collect CC objects?
    > @ZeeGee said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Sliders are package files and they don’t have viruses or malware. However, some download links are ‘iffy’ so you have to be careful where you click. An ad on a page that says ‘download’ will try to trick you into downloading malware instead of the download you are trying to get. Sliders are the easiest to find and many creators on Tumblr share their whole slider folder. I’ll link a few tomorrow when I boot up my desktop.
    >
    > Some CC can be dangerous to your game, but not to your computer. I’ll add a bunch of links tomorrow unless some helpful soul beats me to it. :)
    >
    > S3PE is a great tool but a little intense to learn to use because you need to know what you’re looking at when you open a package and that can take awhile to learn. It is really good for merging your package files.
    >
    > I have a tutorial on that here:
    >
    > https://youtu.be/0wsoYbklAJw
    >
    > If you link your store wish list in your signature you will receive a free gift from the store! A friend has some extra points she’d like to use for gifting.

Thanks for the heads-up and pointers. I'll take care when downloading CC.

I moved to Sims 3 after the Sims 2 site permanently closed down. By then I had a laptop to play Sims 3 on so I was okay with this.
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
  • McToshMcTosh Posts: 638 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    McTosh wrote: »
    I've been playing sims 3 since 2009 and I've YET to see/do everything in the game. Crazy.

^^This! :)

I was never in a great rush to experience everything the game has to offer as quickly as possible. What's the hurry? But it was back when I purchased what we knew would be the final two EPs that I realized I wanted to throttle the new experiences even more so that I would always have something fresh to look forward to. So here we are almost seven years later (sheesh!) and I only just got a household vacationing in Isla Paradiso (Traveler mod) to go windsurfing, boating together as a group, acquire their very own formerly hidden island, and explore it. Okay, so the island is the size of a postage stamp and there wasn't much to explore other than pretty places to sunbathe, this probably isn't a very good place to set up a resort or a retail outlet, but I'll find a use for it somehow. The rest of it was totally fun for me though. The looks of wonder and awe on my sims' faces as they motorboated around Isla P taking in all the sights were priceless. I haven't even sent them deep sea diving yet, although that I managed to do with those who came before them way in the past.

And then we have the many things we did with our sims long ago and may have forgotten about, so we kind of do get to experience them for the first time (again). :)

exactly, there's so much i haven't done.

sometimes it's because of corrupt saves though :( like i've never done 10 generations yet

i've not played with magic or potions yet, inventions, i havent time travelled yet, i havent done the collecting rocks and insects thing yet, i havent done any of the professions yet (just started a lifeguard sim though).

It's crazy that I've been playing this game since I was a child and 10 years later I'm a "grown up" and still playing and still so much of the game is new to me.
    ewb7fssg3zet.pngingame: commandermctosh feel free to add ;D
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,355 Member
    @CarlaL You're welcome. Sorry I forgot about this. Here are the three main tools for keeping cc safe:

This is Dashboard for scanning for messed up files. The thing I love about this is it shows you if you have two of the same item. It's not foolproof as it's old but does help a lot:

http://modthesims.info/d/387006/testers-wanter-sims-3-dashboard-tool-updated-20th-june-2011-v1-2-4167-38743.html

This one turns sims3packs into package files so you can put them in your mods folder instead of installing with the launcher (potential for disaster)

http://modthesims.info/d/364038/delphy-s-sims-3-pack-multi-extracter-updated-5th-sept-2009.html

This is Custard. It opens a Sims3pack and shows you what's in there, sometimes. You can remove it if it shows a corrupt item. There can be cc attached that is in the main file and does not show up.

http://modthesims.info/d/390235/custard-sims3pack-cleaner.html

The most foolproof method, of course, is when installing sims or lots, install them in a separate game folder and check the launcher to see what else installed. I wouldn't do this for individual pieces of cc but for lots or sims that are loaded with custom content I usually check them this way. If you want to keep them use the package files created in the dcbackup files and put them in your original game folder. Or in the case of a lot, put the package file in your library, and the individual files in your mods folder. A little more work but keeps your game safe.
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    That's great, I still play 3 as well and still wish it didnt end so quickly. Even though sim 3 does have its issues, the game has so much to offer for and my play styles. Sims 4 might run well, but it running well doesnt mean much if it's not keeping the player entertained more than 10 to 15 mins.
    giphy.gif

• marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited June 2020
    I still play and build in the sims 3 from time to time, and the sims 2.
    the sims 3 has so much content and the most NEW features. always some i still need to try,. especially with the huge amount of store.
    worlds
    sets
    venues,
    etc etc etc.

I own all the sims 4 so always building and creating sims just as much.

I always play either games. 4 more when NEW packs come out.
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• dogdancerdogdancer Posts: 447 Member
    I agree with the op. I much prefer playing Sims 3. I'm not sure I really want to reinstall Sims 4. I find it too boring. The sims don't seem to do things on their own, they're too cartoony for my taste and they seem to all look the same. I'm sure I could say many other things that I don't like about the game, but since I haven't played it for so long I can't remember what other things irritate me. The only thing I do like about TS4 is how easy it is to build things.
    I do like that in Sims 3 your sims have more free will and can do a lot of things on their own and their personality traits, favorites, and astrological sign really do affect their behavior. I also like that you have a open world, more realistic sims, and CAS. I'm sure there are many other things about it that are likeable, but I can't remember them all. Whatever the case, I prefer Sims 3 over Sims 4.

• punkbeespunkbees Posts: 27 Member
    > @BrittanyChick22 said:
    > That's great, I still play 3 as well and still wish it didnt end so quickly. Even though sim 3 does have its issues, the game has so much to offer for and my play styles. Sims 4 might run well, but it running well doesnt mean much if it's not keeping the player entertained more than 10 to 15 mins.

I held out so long on getting Sims 4 but finally gave in a while back when the base game was on sale for $5. I like it, graphics are pretty, etc., but you're 100% right that something about it just can't keep me entertained in the same way that Sims 3 can. Gameplay in 4 just feels so tedious. Yeah, maybe 3 took forever to load, but to me it was well worth it since we had open worlds and world editing. The ability to place lots wherever I wanted meant that the game never got old.
    gallery id: punkbees || black lives matter
  • TasaarTasaar Posts: 64 Member
    I'm hoping The Sims 5 will be the best of both worlds. Both open and with lots of traits like The Sims 3, yet optimized and graphically superior like The Sims 4.

I'm also really disappointed in the "content" for TS4. Everything feels like a cash grab. What happened to the epic expansion packs?
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,403 Member
    edited June 2020
    Tasaar wrote: »
    I'm hoping The Sims 5 will be the best of both worlds. Both open and with lots of traits like The Sims 3, yet optimized and graphically superior like The Sims 4.

I'm also really disappointed in the "content" for TS4. Everything feels like a cash grab. What happened to the epic expansion packs?

We can only hope that they're listening and noting the number of those who play TS4 and are going back to TS3 or TS2 and trying to truly understand "why" it is that they're going back to the previous games and resolve that in the next one. I'm seriously taking a pass on TS4 and I started out with TS3 (in 2017).

I too am hoping that it's open world and with lots of traits but plays as well on lower-end systems. I really did not like the graphic choices in The Sims 4 - blocky furniture that looked like it was out of a two year old's play-set and trees that looked like they were out of a Fisher Price catalog. I'm hoping that they can do a proper blend of "cartoony" in action and a little more realistic in graphics look, I'm not saying full-on Detroit: Become Human realistic (just realistic enough that it doesn't feel like it's a children's cartoon (...if I wanted "Totally Spies" or "KimPossible" type graphics, I'll go watch the cartoon) - I still can kill Sims even with it that realistic or electrocute them or drop meteors on them - sorry, I know it's a game still and I don't get weirded out...and trust me; my sims (the NPCs and the Townies) are terrified of their Watcher...except for my Chosen Few...who get to live and thrive by my hand). And I hope that they will optimize the game to run smoothly.

But I'm certain we're probably going to get the old, "Oh...look it's a new expansion pack...what are they going to break now?"
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
    > @ZeeGee said:
    > @CarlaL You're welcome. Sorry I forgot about this. Here are the three main tools for keeping cc safe:
    >
    > This is Dashboard for scanning for messed up files. The thing I love about this is it shows you if you have two of the same item. It's not foolproof as it's old but does help a lot:
    >
    > http://modthesims.info/d/387006/testers-wanter-sims-3-dashboard-tool-updated-20th-june-2011-v1-2-4167-38743.html
    >
    > This one turns sims3packs into package files so you can put them in your mods folder instead of installing with the launcher (potential for disaster)
    >
    > http://modthesims.info/d/364038/delphy-s-sims-3-pack-multi-extracter-updated-5th-sept-2009.html
    >
    > This is Custard. It opens a Sims3pack and shows you what's in there, sometimes. You can remove it if it shows a corrupt item. There can be cc attached that is in the main file and does not show up.
    >
    > http://modthesims.info/d/390235/custard-sims3pack-cleaner.html
    >
    > The most foolproof method, of course, is when installing sims or lots, install them in a separate game folder and check the launcher to see what else installed. I wouldn't do this for individual pieces of cc but for lots or sims that are loaded with custom content I usually check them this way. If you want to keep them use the package files created in the dcbackup files and put them in your original game folder. Or in the case of a lot, put the package file in your library, and the individual files in your mods folder. A little more work but keeps your game safe.

> @ZeeGee said:
    > @CarlaL You're welcome. Sorry I forgot about this. Here are the three main tools for keeping cc safe:
    >
    > This is Dashboard for scanning for messed up files. The thing I love about this is it shows you if you have two of the same item. It's not foolproof as it's old but does help a lot:
    >
    > http://modthesims.info/d/387006/testers-wanter-sims-3-dashboard-tool-updated-20th-june-2011-v1-2-4167-38743.html
    >
    > This one turns sims3packs into package files so you can put them in your mods folder instead of installing with the launcher (potential for disaster)
    >
    > http://modthesims.info/d/364038/delphy-s-sims-3-pack-multi-extracter-updated-5th-sept-2009.html
    >
    > This is Custard. It opens a Sims3pack and shows you what's in there, sometimes. You can remove it if it shows a corrupt item. There can be cc attached that is in the main file and does not show up.
    >
    > http://modthesims.info/d/390235/custard-sims3pack-cleaner.html
    >
    > The most foolproof method, of course, is when installing sims or lots, install them in a separate game folder and check the launcher to see what else installed. I wouldn't do this for individual pieces of cc but for lots or sims that are loaded with custom content I usually check them this way. If you want to keep them use the package files created in the dcbackup files and put them in your original game folder. Or in the case of a lot, put the package file in your library, and the individual files in your mods folder. A little more work but keeps your game safe.

Thanks for the load of information and pointers!!
  • macbby101macbby101 Posts: 4 New Member
    Sims 3 will mostly likely ALWAYS be the top tier sims game for me. Sims 4 just gets so boring. I'd be able to play Sims 3 for hours on end, even with just the base game. With expansions, there's really no telling lol! But I still had hope for the Sims 4, and to make up for its lack of entertainment, I bought alot of expansions and game packs, but they never really kept me interested. So I stopped, and am now just waiting for Sims 3 64 bit to come out on my mac to be able to play again. But yes, the Sims 3 was just so awesome. I loved it. If Sims 5 was a mash up of all Sims games ranging from Sims 2 to some features from 4, and all the amazing stuff from 3, I would probably never stop playing it.
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    I remember watching a pre launch video for TS4 and being so angry and disappointed. I had been so excited but when I saw the sims and realised that many of the features which made TS3 so great were missing I decided to cancel my pre order. In the end, much against my better judgement, I did try it twice. On both occasions I was extremely bored within minutes. Many people have mentioned some of the more obvious problems but I found the constant repetition of the same task was enough to send me to sleep.

With much joy and relief I returned to TS3 and have been very happy since. Yes the game has problems but so do most games and there are ways round most things. Also there is so much to do that even after 10 years of playing I am still finding things to do. Currently I am building worlds in CAW and having a really good but frustrating time doing so.

What I have observed is we each have different expectations and experiences with the sims franchise. The good thing is the variety available from the original game to TS4. So we can pick our game of choice and enjoy it. If it happens that more than one game interests a player then that is not a problem either. We have choice and we should be very grateful for that.

So please enjoy your return to TS3 and maybe, one day, you might find pleasure in rediscovering TS4.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita