Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Kindness Bench for SimLit Writers - For All Games!

Comments

• Dollyllama108Dollyllama108 Posts: 268 Member
    Alright, I'm having an unusually good intrinsic-sense-of-self-worth day. Who needs a pep talk? Commiseration? Reassurance that the competitive, exclusionary system our society is built on is inherently illogical?

(And, ooh, @mercuryfoam's story is dark and difficult to read? I may have to check that out...)
    banner_both.jpg
    Catastrophe Theory: If, through loose ends, we could resume/Unrav'ling defects from the loom/And soften as the shuttle mends---/Then save for me a few loose ends!
    Haunted: Picture Oscar Wilde dating Willy Wonka, also Oscar Wilde is still dead
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,210 Member
    Alright, I'm having an unusually good intrinsic-sense-of-self-worth day. Who needs a pep talk? Commiseration? Reassurance that the competitive, exclusionary system our society is built on is inherently illogical?

(And, ooh, @mercuryfoam's story is dark and difficult to read? I may have to check that out...)

It's totally worth reading! Sure there are dark moments, but there are some light ones too.
    image.png
  • DeiraShadeweaverDeiraShadeweaver Posts: 647 Member
    @mercuryfoam I started reading your story! It seems you started writing it after I dropped off the face of the earth last September. I'm slowly starting to find my way back in.
  • mercuryfoammercuryfoam Posts: 1,156 Member
    edited May 2020
    @DeiraShadeweaver I discovered SimLit end of December so yes we definitely missed each other. :) Thanks for checking it out. I've actually stopped updating my story on the forums because I was afraid a younger simmer might stumble upon it.

@Dollyllama108 I don't know about dark and difficult, everyone's just not having a good time. :sweat_smile:

@SimTresa Aw you're too kind.
    @mercuryfoam Oh, you know dark & difficult is my bread & butter. Everyone's not having a good time? Ohoho---is it a disaster train of characters creating problems for themselves? I gotta catch up on Xaos first and then I'll move on.

And you're very nice to think about younger simmers. I've had that thought and ultimately decided to leave my stuff up. Any kid willing to trudge through something that dense and challenging has kinda earned those bad words, imo. If that 'plum' appears right next to a dorky joke that hinges on the word 'concupiscence' or reaction-diffusion equations, they cancel each other out. Right? Like wine and coffee.
    banner_both.jpg
    Catastrophe Theory: If, through loose ends, we could resume/Unrav'ling defects from the loom/And soften as the shuttle mends---/Then save for me a few loose ends!
    @Dollyllama108 lol sorry to disappoint. I'm afraid I dont have a Tika nor Calo in my story. Those two can go crash and burn in their respective sinking ships by themselves while I munch on chips and their misery. :joy:

I think your story is kid-proof on its own through complexity of plot/ theme/ language. Like I'm going to admit now that i have a thesaurus tab open when I read your story. 🤣 But that's just me. Mine's of simpler writing and common themes so I can totally imagine a kid picking it up thinking its not too bad, then get burnt midway lol. Kids are made of some pretty hard stuff though so Im probably overreacting, but I'd rather have piece of mind.
    @mercuryfoam I hear you on the thesaurus/dictionary. I just looked at the previous comment and thought, is 'trudge' even a word?

Thanks for not challenging the assertion that coffee and wine cancel each other out!
    banner_both.jpg
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    edited May 2020
    If I help my Dad with moving stuff from the front to the back or vice versa my arms.. especially my domestic arm (I'm a leftie) hurt a lot if it's been awhile since I did any moving.

Yesterday I moved several loads of wood from the front to the back of the house and by the time I was done- my left arm hurt so much that 3 hours later after I was done I could barley even pour my milk (let alone the water) for supper and its one of my chores to do the drinks for supper time.

Today both my parents especially my Mom want me to do more of the wood since she says it would make my arm stronger. Dad says there only are 3-4 loads left but I want to sit on my behind and do nothing because my arm really hurts I can only move it half-way up like I'm trying to ask in school to go to the washroom before it hurts.
    6adMCGP.gif
    My Mom doesn't like it when Dad, my sister and I yell and hurt either each other's feelings/Mom's feelings.

While the last time my sister was here (Sunday of last week the 24th not the 31st)- she told Mom "She hates coming home because the house looks like a dump". So she's coming home sometime this afternoon.

When I went downstairs at 1am last night to go to bed.. Mom was sweeping the back-hall, the kitchen, and the front room (for all I know Mom also did the family room when I wasn't around). This morning I got up I noticed she was doing the library and when I was in the shower she did the upstairs hallway. When I was going to coming up to the library it looked like she was going to vacuum the library which would have meant I couldn't be able to be up here-vacuum+me don't mix- but she couldn't. When I was going to go downstairs for lunch Mom was doing the bottom half of the L shaped stairs we have and Mom yelled at me for wanting to come down "YOU WANT TO COME DOWN DON'T YOU?" and "DON'T YOU DARE KNOCK THE DUSTPAN ON YOUR WAY DOWN". When I tried to make a little joke (asking if we should roll out the red carpet) she said "Since I'm not helping in anyway she didn't need me being snippy" She's acting the EXACTLY the same way that she hates US (Dad/Sister/I) acting.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • _sims_Yimi_sims_Yimi Posts: 1,747 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    My Mom doesn't like it when Dad, my sister and I yell and hurt either each other's feelings/Mom's feelings.

While the last time my sister was here (Sunday of last week the 24th not the 31st)- she told Mom "She hates coming home because the house looks like a dump". So she's coming home sometime this afternoon.

When I went downstairs at 1am last night to go to bed.. Mom was sweeping the back-hall, the kitchen, and the front room (for all I know Mom also did the family room when I wasn't around). This morning I got up I noticed she was doing the library and when I was in the shower she did the upstairs hallway. When I was going to coming up to the library it looked like she was going to vacuum the library which would have meant I couldn't be able to be up here-vacuum+me don't mix- but she couldn't. When I was going to go downstairs for lunch Mom was doing the bottom half of the L shaped stairs we have and Mom yelled at me for wanting to come down "YOU WANT TO COME DOWN DON'T YOU?" and "DON'T YOU DARE KNOCK THE DUSTPAN ON YOUR WAY DOWN". When I tried to make a little joke (asking if we should roll out the red carpet) she said "Since I'm not helping in anyway she didn't need me being snippy" She's acting the EXACTLY the same way that she hates US (Dad/Sister/I) acting.

Does your sister come home a lot? Or is it only rarely? Your mom might really miss your sister, and not realize how she's acting towards you because her mind is so focused on getting your sister home. I'm not condoning her behaviour, but that might be what's going on in her head at the moment.
    My own mother actually does that a lot - I'm only home rarely, and she gets so busy with making sure I'm comfortable that my little brother gets left by the wayside if dad and I don't step in and remind her.
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
    _sims_Yimi wrote: »

Does your sister come home a lot? Or is it only rarely? Your mom might really miss your sister, and not realize how she's acting towards you because her mind is so focused on getting your sister home. I'm not condoning her behaviour, but that might be what's going on in her head at the moment.
    My own mother actually does that a lot - I'm only home rarely, and she gets so busy with making sure I'm comfortable that my little brother gets left by the wayside if dad and I don't step in and remind her.

It depends on stuff.. sometimes she's home a lot, other times she not's- mostly home for the holidays or if she's stopping by to go camping. My sister was here on May 24th and my sister got a bit huffy after helping Dad outside since I was taking a bit too long in the bathroom-but I was having one of those 'female' emergencies" (ie Aunt Flo overflowed into my clothes).

My Mom did apologised afterwards but it kind of hurt my feelings when it *did* happen originally because she-Mom doesn't like the rest of the family behaving in the way she behaved to us this morning (Dad/I).
    6adMCGP.gif
  • ajamkeevinajamkeevin Posts: 278 Member
    Hi everyone! After following this thread for a while, I've gathered the courage to write something. Y'all seem so friendly and encouraging and even though I'm pretty shy when interacting with other people (or users, I guess :P ), I want to see if you have any advice for me.

I've been writing a pretty long, multi-layered story that's kind of turned into a whole universe of different stories interwoven together through a common characteristic. It's helped me a lot when I feel like I have nothing else to offer to the world, and I've definitely depended on it a lot when going through rough patches. I went through a pretty dark period where it was the only thing that made me feel good, but there was a year where even that didn't cut it. Thankfully, I'm through that now and I'm back to writing pretty regularly and it's brought me much joy. I am at the point where my characters have become almost real people to me, it's been so fulfilling to write about them and develop their stories. Not to mention that, with the goal of becoming a published writer at some point in the future, just writing as much as possible has really helped me develop my storytelling and writing skills.

The only thing that I'm missing, and sometimes I think it's a little selfish of me, is feedback. I feel like I spend so much time creating something and then I don't particularly get much in response. I know I'm not entitled to feedback by just publishing something, but I often feel like that is sorely missed (especially since my story is, to a certain degree, interactive). I wouldn't even mind negative criticism, that would help me, as well. My question to y'all: how do you go about receiving feedback? Do you share with your family and friends since they know you/can make constructive criticism? Or how do you promote your stories without seeming desperate for attention? I'm so reserved that I can't imagine just asking someone to read something, but I feel like I've reached a point where I would love to know what people think about my writing. Not because I NEED approval or anything to write, but because I want to know if people enjoy what I write and maybe improve my writing by taking criticism and working on it.

Do y'all have any advice? I've been feeling a little down and would like to see if anyone has some thoughts. I love writing and it was a huge step for me to actually put myself out there by sharing it with the world, but without feedback I feel like no one cares about what I put out and it's put a huge damper on my enthusiasm. Thanks in advance! This little community seems like such a good place, so I'd love to be a part of it.
    Hi @ajamkeevin!

First of all, a disclaimer that I don’t think I’m the right person to answer your question since there are much more experienced writers on the forums who can provide you with better insights to your dilemma. I’m putting my two cents for what its worth. :smile:

I hear you on feeling hesitant about asking others to read your work. A lot of writers are shy by nature including myself and feel just as awkward about self-publicising and self-advertising.

Unfortunately if you want feedback, you’re going to need to get your work (and word) out there, so self-advertising is something to consider. I’m not saying that exposure or large readership automatically grants feedback, but the correlation is there. There’ll be more potential for your story to reach readers who: 1. Like the genre you’re writing and b. Like giving detailed feedback/comments. You can always direct traffic by advertising on other social media websites/discord channels/forums. (I’ve never done this though, this is just what I’ve seen others do.)

My second suggestion would be to join a reading circle. Having a group of writers committed to reading and analysing each other’s work is the perfect way to get objective feedback. I think there are 2 that are active on the forums. But you can always host your own. I’m personally interested in joining one since I like reading simLit, so let me know if you do make one.

If you are privileged to have a group of irl friends/family who are interested, you should totally go for it.

Personally, I don’t expect to get any feedback. :sweat_smile: It seems strange to think like that (I suppose I am) but feedback is personal and sensitive between author and reader yet displayed for everyone to read. There are so many barriers to break so I completely understand, especially with the genre and themes I chose. I started writing simLit around Christmas last year, and only lately as my story is coming to a close am I starting to get detailed feedback. So that’s pretty much half a year of patience. I think you will have better results than I since I don’t promote my work apart from the banner in my sig. So keep at it and don’t let it get you down.

But if I have to take a stab at gathering good feedback, I’d say give and you shall receive. You can use the power of your writing to attract feedback, but there’s something about receiving feedback from a group of like-minded friends who don’t hold back that is very rewarding. If what I assume is correct and that you are looking for that kind of constructive feedback, you should bond with your readers and fellow authors. Critical feedback usually comes from people who feel comfortable with sharing their thoughts with you, so personally I’d make connections instead :smile:

Again, this is my two cents and I am no expert in writing and am an amateur if anything. But I hope it helps a little. Good luck! And for other writers do chip in since I’m no expert in this. I’d stand to gain from your sharing too. :smile:
    @mercuryfoam thank you so, so much for your thoughtful response! I've read it through a couple times and it's so considerate and detailed. You're so kind.♥

It's definitely true that promoting your story in other places gets an audience. I used to try to promote on some other sites but I got discouraged and just kind of quit, it wasn't really a success story for me :tongue: But it's something to consider, for sure! I figure that this forum is the best place for it since everyone here is looking specifically to post and read The Sims oriented fiction, and I've definitely had some moments when I think about promoting other places that aren't specific to The Sims but stop myself because, and this might just be me being overly critical of myself, it seems to me that a lot of other people who might read don't consider my writing to be "legit" because I write stories based on a video game. (Which is, of course, not true! Some of the my favorite reads from the last few years are from Sims fiction, and they are excellent, detailed, and interesting; people here are truly talented.) But yeah, self-promotion seems to be the hardest step!

About a reading circle; yes, definitely! I've been really interested in making one; I've looked through a couple of the ones going on right now and they look like such positive environments for creativity, sharing, and improving one's writing. I think this is the way to go for me. Promoting is, of course, a necessity if I want to get more readers, but a reading circle sounds like a much more inviting way of sharing writing. Not to mention, having a group where I can look forward to sharing my writing and reading other authors' work would be a massive encouragement and would add a lot of enthusiasm to the whole process. I think I'll get to work on one! I would be honored if you joined, so I'll let you know when I get it going!

I am totally with you about how you don't expect feedback. For me, it was kind of the opposite: I had some when I first started writing but it fell off as time went by. At this point, I'm just happy to be writing even if there's not much, if any, feedback. I respect your patience, and I'm happy you have people commenting more now! I browsed your thread and I liked what I saw - I think I'll become one of those readers commenting! I agree that including any readers and/or other authors in discussion and communicating and bonding with them is something that will bear fruit; having people feel connected to the story and the author is a great way to receive feedback. It's really a key piece of advice; you worded it perfectly and it makes complete sense.

Honestly, your insight has really helped me. Especially this:
    Critical feedback usually comes from people who feel comfortable with sharing their thoughts with you, so personally I’d make connections instead
    So succinct and wonderfully worded.

I really have to thank you again for taking some time out of your weekend to give me such a thoughtful response. I feel a lot of enthusiasm about creating a reading circle and possibly connecting with other authors and readers, and I don't think I would have truly considered that without your encouragement. So thank you!!♥
  • _sims_Yimi_sims_Yimi Posts: 1,747 Member
    @ajamkeevin , hello! :)
    The feeling of wanting feedback is always difficult. Writing stories is so incredibly personal, and most people I know really pour their heart and soul into what they create. To show that to other people automatically makes you vulnerable, and hoping that people enjoy what you wrote is not selfish at all. What mercury said about it taking time is true, too. Back in the days of Sims 3 I wrote a legacy, and readers only really started to pick up around generation 4, I think.

It definitely helps to read and comment on stories yourself, too. Some simmers on here are pretty good in terms of equivalent exchange, and it helps you compare other writing styles at the same time.

Also, I'd totally be game for that reading circle if you and @mercuryfoam are in it ;)

Is the story that you mention the one in your signature? If so, I'll give it a look after work today. :)
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
    @_sims_Yimi You're so right! There's an interesting vulnerability that comes with writing. I consider myself to be an extroverted introvert (as in, I choose to spend a lot of time alone and I'm pretty timid in a lot of situations, but I'm the boisterous life of the party when I'm with family/close friends :tongue: it's an interesting dichotomy!), but when it comes to writing I'm intensely shy because, like you said, I pour so much of myself into my creations and I suppose it feels like I'd be heartbroken if it turned out that they weren't good and no one liked them. Every character and most storylines I write include many pieces of myself so writing definitely opens up my own self to the world to see and that's always scary!

I agree with you, I think I've been reading far too many fics without commenting much on them—how can I expect to receive returns on my story when I'm mostly a lurker? The idea of exchange is the best for me, and you're definitely right that comparing writing styles to my own can help immensely with improving.

I think I'm going to inaugurate a new reading circle for sure, then! You and @mercuryfoam seem to be very kind and thoughtful, not to mention that what I've seen of your fics is fantastic and I'd love to take a deep dive into them. Now, to set up the circle! Any ideas for names? :blush:

And yes, my story is linked in my sig. It's fun to write, but the best part of it is weaving the storylines together; it started as a sort of "reality show" based fiction, but it's developed into much more than that with lots of character-driven sections and lots of bonus "episodes" where I play around with writing styles and format and delve much deeper into the backstories that then directly influence the main story. So, I guess, it started as a little frivolous in ways (and my writing in the first episodes was much less developed, yikes :flushed: ) but it's really bloomed into something else, so that's probably why I'm even more interested in feedback. I'd be honored if you took a look! There's a lot to see, hope it's not daunting :p

Thank you so much for your comment!
    @ajamkeevin

Good day!

I'm glad I helped in some way. And thank you for the invite. Of course I'll be happy to join! :smile: Hm.. I've never promoted my writing on other sites but I understand what you're saying when you try to promote it to wider audiences. The fact that it is based off 'a game' which they don't play will cause some to automatically disassociate themselves.

Could you link me in the reading circle thread so I know where it is? We can figure out a name there among other things, in the mean time put anything up to your liking. I feel as if we'd be hijacking this thread if we start setting up here :smile:

@_sims_Yimi I'd love to be in a reading circle with you :smiley:
    @ajamkeevin I'm going to read you're story right after my first gen founder dies (two in-game days)
    6adMCGP.gif
    @mercuryfoam I've definitely had some awkward moments where someone is excited about my saying "I write..." and then they have a kind of "oh...." moment when they hear a lot of it is based on The Sims, haha. The disassociation is real! And yeah, I'll create a thread for the reading circle soon! I'm so excited♥

@MadameLee thank you so much! I hope you enjoy :blush:
    @ajamkeevin "I've been writing a pretty long, multi-layered story that's kind of turned into a whole universe of different stories interwoven together through a common characteristic. It's helped me a lot when I feel like I have nothing else to offer to the world, and I've definitely depended on it a lot when going through rough patches." Ouch. I've felt that. The characters feeling real, that as well.

I don't have to be included in the reading circle---I get enough intrinsic value out of writing my stuff to take a passive approach to self-promotion and just sit back and appreciate what other people are doing---but will be keeping an eye on it, once it exists, because we seem to be writing for very similar reasons. Though I did just spend two months on a huge work deadline and am very behind. Will look at your and @mercuryfoam's stories once I finish Xaos.

And about the feedback, it can be disheartening for sure. The way I've learned to see it is: if you're always learning and improving, the longer it takes for people to find and read your story, the stronger your material will be when they start reading. I was discouraged in the beginning when people didn't read my early work, but am now grateful that they didn't. That, and it's true that self-assessment is a Dunning-Kruger trap, but writing doesn't have to be perfect, or even good, to be touching or enjoyable. If it meant something to you it was worth it, period.
    banner_both.jpg
    edited June 2020
    @Dollyllama108 (love your username!♥), thank you. It's good to know other people understand how writing can be important (and even essential) to our lives, and how creating a universe can be such a helpful way of getting through rough times.

Snaps all around to your comment. I agree that my current writing is much better than how it started out, so not getting much feedback while getting to this point might be a blessing in disguise because, as you said, the material is stronger now that I'm actively seeking out readers. And a big YES to "writing doesn't have to be perfect, or even good, to be touching or enjoyable. If it meant something to you it was worth it, period." This is SO important to keep in mind, so thank you so much for saying it. While I do want feedback at this point in my cycle as a writer, at the end of the day... I feel so fulfilled when I've written something and my own little universe of characters and stories is such a big and wonderful constant in my life and has brought me up when I'm feeling down. So that in itself is already fantastic and makes the writing process, as you said, worth it.

Hope that you're able to relax a little bit now if you've met your two-month work deadline! I totally feel that; I just had to submit a large project and my enthusiasm for wanting to read/write only what I choose for a period feels so liberating. Thank you for offering to check out my story, and I will also check out yours!
    edited July 2020
    I know this is really selfish but I really want to watch a new Netflix series (The Baby Sitters Club) and despite us having an account via my sister from her friend Dad has trouble getting it up on both the TV and on Dad's notebook. But Dad watches Prime video alot on the same notebook. Dad says that my sister says we might not have enough bandwith and also the account is connected to the TV. It just its either I watch it on Netflix or I wait for who knows when, when someone might upload the the 10 episodes to another non-Netflix site. I don't even know if BSC Season 1 will ever turn into DVD

I found a way!!!
    Post edited by MadameLee on
    6adMCGP.gif
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    I know this is really selfish but I really want to watch a new Netflix series (The Baby Sitters Club) and despite us having an account via my sister from her friend Dad has trouble getting it up on both the TV and on Dad's notebook. But Dad watches Prime video alot on the same notebook. Dad says that my sister says we might not have enough bandwith and also the account is connected to the TV. It just its either I watch it on Netflix or I wait for who knows when, when someone might upload the the 10 episodes to another non-Netflix site. I don't even know if BSC Season 1 will ever turn into DVD

I found a way!!!

Hi, @MadameLee ! I'm glad you found a way to watch it! Are you enjoying it?

We're currently on a good string of movies, after having been on a string where we rejected about 9 out of 10 that we tried to watch! Now, we're watching one about an art forger, and having lots of fun with it.

Hope you're doing OK! I sometimes am, and sometimes not, but hey--this is the strangest era in a long time, so it's understandable when we're not OK...

Be healthy!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member

I found a way!!!

its okay i liked the ones that followed the books. i binged it in 1 day but didn't want to say that cause you couldn't watch yet
  • GroomyGroomy Posts: 4 New Member
    Hi all,

Hopefully this is the right place for this, bit of a back story my Partner lives in Canada and i currently live in Australia while i await my PR application to be processed( Due to Covid nothing has progressed since March 13) before covid i was travelling over every two months for a few weeks at a time but since then the Australian government keeps denying my applcations to fly to visit my Partner, so now to what i wanted to ask obviously due to being apart my wife is a little down, she enjoys playing sims so i convinced her to go back to making youtube videos which she has and throughly enjoys, also every single time she gets a new subscriber her face lights up and it makes me happy to see that since i can't be with her right now, she is currently doing an A-Z baby challenge series, but i wondered what other ideas for sims series would be worth her creating to maximise her chances of attracting new subscribers?

thankyou for your time have a nice day