Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sigma1202 Functional Solar Panels & Water Heater Mod

troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
edited June 2020 in General Mods Discussion
Imma lil sad 😢 this mod has been discontinued. I went to check if it would still be operational after the massive update for Eco Lifestyle and alas it has been discontinued.
MTS_Sigma1202-1867045-Screenshot(106).png
MTS_Sigma1202-1867046-Screenshot(111).png

https://modthesims.info/d/631669/functional-solar-panels-and-water-heater-discontinued.html

Really love this mod, especially since I don't use many mods in my game.

If anyone has it in their game, and doesn't own Eco Living are you having any issues with it?
Should I just remove it alltogether?

I have a story built around this mod, and wasn't planning to get Eco Lifestyle until the fall/winter.
wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱

Comments

• gettpsgettps Posts: 420 Member
    ECO Living didn't break the mod, the patch that came out before it did. Even without ECO Living, the mod will still be broken.

If you don't have ECO, then you're stuck. The patch broke the mod, but ECO adds the new solar panels in.
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    Hi @gettps do you know how the solar panels in Eco Lifestyle work for folks off the grid? Will it turn on electricity for everything and then my sims have to pay a bill? Or will there be no bills like with the mod?
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • gettpsgettps Posts: 420 Member
    edited June 2020
    It's quite a bit different. Not because of the solar panels but because of the patch that you should already have. The new billing system allows you to store and sell power and water if you're generating a surplus. The solar panels and wind turbines generate power, the dew collectors and atmosphere reclamators generate water. If you generate more than you use, you can store it for use off-the-grid, or sell it back for a reduced cost on bills.

There are lots of other things you can do to supplement it. Most plumbing devices have an upgrade for water conservation to make them use less water. The treadmills can be upgraded to generate extra power while running. A lot of electronic devices can be upgraded to use less energy.

Unless you have a LOT of solar panels, turbines, water collectors, you'll still end up paying something. Base bill is like $300/wk, which is considered a "lot tax". You pay that even off-the-grid. Power and water usage is extra. If you're off-the-grid, you won't want to auto-sell power or water, which means you'll still end up paying $300/wk. So make sure to turn off the lights and radio when not using them.

Once power and water are stored, you can use it for any devices. However, those devices will usually deplete it quick.

I had two wind turbines and five solar panels and barely made a surplus of power. That's with a computer, radio, and recycling equipment. I had two high-end dew collectors and had a good surplus of water. Once winter came along, my power reserves depleted very quickly. Had to buy a fireplace to supplement heat... which isn't considered "green".

I like it a lot. You'll want to lock your computer from non-household members so they don't go to your computer and play blick-block and eat up your power reserves. Use candles instead of regular lights which are free light and don't use power. Go outside and shower in the rain whenever it rains to save water. Upgrade your shower using the old quick-shower upgrades to make showering quicker and reduce water usage... etc.