Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I want to play The Sims but I also don't

This is a bit of a silly post, but I wanted to ask if anyone else experiences the phenomenon where they are very excited to play The Sims but then after opening the game immediately decide that they don't actually want to play the Sims. This happens a lot to me where I make it to the world selection and I just close the game. It seems to also be a Sims only issue compared to other video games.

The other day I did this with all 4 versions of the Sims in a row because I was convinced I wanted to play but couldn't figure out which one I wanted. In the end, I ended up just shutting down my computer and read a book...

Comments

• DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    edited May 2020
    I have this all the time, but before I even start the game. I feel like I want to play but I also have this feeling of just. not. wanting. to. Hard to get over really and I just end up lying on my bed with my phone, scrolling. I have this with almost all games though. I call it 'a mood' I have and eventually get over it again.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    All the time, I find myself spending more time with the game paused than actually playing it. I often just play it while doing something else like watching Youtube or Twitch.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I did this quite often with TS4 until I finally stopped loading it in 2017. I eventually completely uninstalled it. A year ago I reinstall looked at some patch stuff and closed it again. Not been touched since.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Yep, this was all the time in TS4 until I finally had an idea on what to do and stick with it.
    But yes, know this feeling all too well.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    I've been feeling that way for the past month or so. With everything that's going on in the world you'd think the game would provide an escape from all the hate and ugliness but for me it's been just the opposite. And then you come on the forum and it's more bickering, and put downs, and competitions between versions. It's all so trivial and just makes me not want to play at all.
  • fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    Has been happening to me a lot lately.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member
    I've been feeling that way for the past month or so. With everything that's going on in the world you'd think the game would provide an escape from all the hate and ugliness but for me it's been just the opposite. And then you come on the forum and it's more bickering, and put downs, and competitions between versions. It's all so trivial and just makes me not want to play at all.

I completely understand what you mean, it's hard to stay positive with everything. You can't let the forums bring you down though, and hopefully things will start to look up soon!
  • AwenyaAwenya Posts: 36 Member
    I've felt that way, too! Mainly when I don't have a direction or purpose - which isn't really possible in the Sims 4 without external challenges. It's helped me to find user created challenges that make me want to play and see what happens vs. just free playing. I have to have some sort of goal or direction or I lose interest easily.
    ZRVBb9i2_o.png
    Origin ID: LadyZOOKOR
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Most people get this phase. Sometimes I am not even thinking about the game and then I decide to load it and can get into it.

I have been working a lot on stories the past year but recently I have decided to play in a TS3 world and got hooked very quickly. I now have Sims at University and one day from the final exams. Once that is done I will play another family in Roaring Heights as there are a few things to work on with them again and then play casually until I send my current Sims back to University
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    This is a bit of a silly post, but I wanted to ask if anyone else experiences the phenomenon where they are very excited to play The Sims but then after opening the game immediately decide that they don't actually want to play the Sims. This happens a lot to me where I make it to the world selection and I just close the game. It seems to also be a Sims only issue compared to other video games.

The other day I did this with all 4 versions of the Sims in a row because I was convinced I wanted to play but couldn't figure out which one I wanted. In the end, I ended up just shutting down my computer and read a book...

I'm doing this a lot with games at the moment. I think it is the state of mind I am in with the stress of lockdown in the UK. I am even turning off all the news and coronavirus bulletins and going back to old films and reading more books on my Kindle. I'm burnt out again, the reason I got retired early. The only game I find relaxing is Bejewelled 3 which gives instant rewards and pretty to look at!

The new pack also is a part of my reluctance to play for long as I am looking forward to it and am only doing as much as it takes to start a new save with it. Why carry on playing if all will change when the new pack comes out?

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2020
    The competitions and or revial groups of which version is better will go on for as long as there remains any current Sim game. That's to be expected. It's like Sheldon always picking which Spock is better, and or which Star Trek version is more believable and of course which captain. lol We can't ever expect quarrels over which one people like best to ever be a thing of the past. Because there is the game play to critique, the art styles, the depth, the Sims themselves (personalities) and the prices or content etc. Those disagreements are logically expected in my book.
    Because I hate to say it but with every iteration there is always someone who will say the brand new game is the best ever, though it might not be, simply because it's new.

People also put emotional attachements on games, or activities in their lives, depending on what was happening that may have influenced why they became attached to something comes into play, too. It always will, no matter how much we might want to deny that. Nostalgia is part of our choices, but not always the only reasons, of course, but it does play a part in the 'love' we feel sometimes for something. And over look any flaw or thing that at the time was annoying...lol But if you have to defend your decision it's human nature to defend it and overlook any flaw and say well, that doesn't bother you/us but we know it does, so we aren't always intellectually honest. But we decide that thing that annoys is not worth throwing something in the trash. So, these type of disagreements will always be a thing, even when we see TS5 it will get derailed, too by those who like TS4 better, and trashed by those who think TS4 is the all and all. It happens every time, nothing new it happens in all serials that have forums.

But at the moment games or the internet etc. doesn't seem so important anymore when people are dying. And seems lately everyone out in the world has forgotten all about that.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    I realize there will always be comparisons and trash talking. I was just going through a period of feeling like it was all so trivial and insignificant in the wake of recent and past real life events. I'm back on track now having come to the realization that as long as I do my part to try and make things better then I shouldn't feel distressed for enjoying a video game.

• AiviraAivira Posts: 40 Member
    In the past month for me I've started multiple saves and the only gameplay I've felt satisfied with was creating my sim and building their house. Everything else was kind of like.. "been there, done that." I do tend to play for a while when a new GP/EP comes out though.. but that's the only time I've felt interested in TS4 these past few years. Overall, these past couple years I've been less interested in gaming though, so I wouldn't blame The Sims but rather myself changing.
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member

I have not lost interest at all. I don't have as much time because work keeps me busy. I'm still very invested in the lives of my Sims 3 sims and enjoying the adventures they have. I look forward to my downtimes and play as much as I can during those times to the detriment of house work sometimes. :lol:
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited June 2020
    It happens to me a lot with The Sims 4 but I've found a way to stop feeling that way. TS4 is kind of intimidating when you open it up and because it is all kind of the same you sometimes feel bored because you think there is nothing to do.
    So now when I play the game I try to make up stories for my families and give them detailed biographies that I read the moment I open the game to get me back on track.
    With TS4 you just need to push yourself a little more because the game doesn't really feel as alive. You have to use a little more imagination to give it life but once you've loaded up a save it and have a basic idea of a story it becomes easier.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    I get that feeling quite frequently, a 'why bother?' kind of thing. Life and time are precious and once spent gone forever. When thinking of the best way to do that spending Sims often looses.
  • DeadManHBKDeadManHBK Posts: 117 Member
    Y E S

It is so annoying! It happens with DOOM as well for me. They are the main two games I play, and sometimes when I think I want to play one I will open it up, and as I am waiting for it to load I regret my decision lol. Having dual monitors helps me a lot with that - it gives me the freedom to kind of go back and forth between it and something else I might want to do on my PC. (Usually that would be writing.)

Sometimes, I think having so many different options can make it tricky too, because each version has its own unique quirks about them. Right now, I mainly stick to TS3, but since discovering how to add custom content to TS4 my interest in it has been peaked once more. The struggle is real...lol
    500c175dfecfd4bfdb430b6ae61d85abc33cef98_hq.gif

A n a l Na t h r a c h D o c h e'l D e'n m h a
    A n a l Na t h r a c h T i e r a N a t r a c h...
  • APottsAPotts Posts: 2,448 Member
    I used to do this, now it's rare that I even bother opening it. I have a pretty decent game library though, and between all the sales and covid-19 freebies I have gotten a ton of new digital games. I still think about the sims though, just can't get up the interest to actually play it.