Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Children have lifetime wants?

Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,960 Member
Is this a bad thing?

I opened a custom hood of mine and noticed that two children in one household had lifetime wants. I checked the other families (there are eight children and two toddlers in the hood) and one other child also had a lifetime want. Is this a sign of corruption or something? I know that some premade children/toddlers have lifetime wants, but this is unusual. It’d be a shame if the hood was corrupted, but not the worst thing ever. I’m pretty sure I haven’t done anything to corrupt the hood (as in any of the actions listed in that game guide on avoiding corruption) but who knows.

Comments

• ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    From what I've read lifetime wants in children, suddenly randomly assigned can be a sign of hood corruption.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • ErnesaTErnesaT Posts: 7,474 Member
    Pary wrote: »
    From what I've read lifetime wants in children, suddenly randomly assigned can be a sign of hood corruption.

@Pary Exactly correct. I still play TS2 and none of my children have a LTW. Btw, nice to see that you're still around.
    yY5vKua.png[img][/img]
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    It's lovely to see you too @ErnesaT :) I noticed you posting yesterday and left a message on your page. It's so good to see some of the old regulars around a bit.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • ErnesaTErnesaT Posts: 7,474 Member
    Pary wrote: »
    It's lovely to see you too @ErnesaT :) I noticed you posting yesterday and left a message on your page. It's so good to see some of the old regulars around a bit.

Thank you @Pary

I still have sim points in the store for TS3 (imagine that). I'm thinking of running a short gift-giving thread. Hopefully I'll see some of the older regulars who helped shape these threads.
    yY5vKua.png[img][/img]
  • Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,960 Member
    Ugh, thought it might be. Ah well.
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    @Lucy_Henley

Don't abandon the neighborhood just yet.

One sign isn't enough to say it's not just a random glitch. If you've installed or uninstalled mods that affect lifetime wants, that could have potentially caused the problem and not corruption.

Plus, some people can do a bunch of things that cause corruption, play regularly, and be bored of the neighborhood before the corruption starts affecting game play.
    I do have a lifetime want mod, actually. It’s particularly odd to me that only some of the kids have lifetime wants.
  • garapoesgarapoes Posts: 422 Member
    I don't think that's a good sign but you can still continu playing?
    English is not my first language so sorry if I make any mistakes!
  • Darkwave7341Darkwave7341 Posts: 48 Member
    Pretty sure that's a sign of corruption.
    What's the deal with airline food?
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2020
    Is this a bad thing?

I opened a custom hood of mine and noticed that two children in one household had lifetime wants. I checked the other families (there are eight children and two toddlers in the hood) and one other child also had a lifetime want. Is this a sign of corruption or something? I know that some premade children/toddlers have lifetime wants, but this is unusual. It’d be a shame if the hood was corrupted, but not the worst thing ever. I’m pretty sure I haven’t done anything to corrupt the hood (as in any of the actions listed in that game guide on avoiding corruption) but who knows.

Did you age these Sims up or down? That is why they may have a LTW still hanging out there. You can use SimPE to fix this issue and remove the LTW by looking at the details of what the heck happened that might have caused this. To my knowledge no premade kids have LTWs at that age. I assume you have memory corruption like moving Sims from one hood to another (not subhoods) but if you didn't then as others have said you have to pay attention to mods, some older mods are not compatible with TS2UC and you may not know that if you just got them off the wayback machine or a defunct site without reading creator notes.

ETA: If you can't use SimPE try TwoJeffs Sim Blender to set them to the correct age to see if this fixes the problem and repair any relationship changes that may have occurred.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    No, I didn’t change their ages. It may well be a mod issue.
    Apparently Pauline Aspir, Sally Riley, Xander Roth and Daniel Bell already have LTWs.
    edited June 2020
    No, I didn’t change their ages. It may well be a mod issue.
    Apparently Pauline Aspir, Sally Riley, Xander Roth and Daniel Bell already have LTWs.

Unless the Sims are basegame characters, then I wouldn't know who you are speaking about. Simply because each new Sim townie (in every game other than some staples) have different names. What name is generated into your game may not be the same name in mine. Only the basegame character files (townies) are the same name in people's games. Such as Goopie etc. Any Sim that came in the character files (for each new pack) may generate a different name in everyone's games. NL has a few that are staples and have the same names etc. but most later EPs don't generate the same names, just pointing that out because townie names are never the same in everyone's game (there are a few with each new pack) but rarely the same (you can see them in the character files for each EP).

I hope you work it out. Yesterday, I aged up one of my teens and noticed she still has a part time job. lol The mod works great (TwoJeffs) but it forgets to reset her job to a full time job and kept her on part time teen job until I made her quit. Mods are funny they aren't always compatible with the entire EPs installed etc. Some would call that corruption, I would say no, it's a mod problem and have to know how to work around it. In my case making her quit her job and going back as an adult. The actual vanilla game never gives sim kids LTWs.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    I did use HoodChecker on the hood and I have no idea how that’s affected things, I haven’t gone back into the game since.
    The kids I mentioned are part of premade, moved-in families that live in various hoods; Sally Riley in Belladonna Cove, Xander Roth in Riverblossom Hills, and Daniel Bell and Pauline Aspir in Desiderata Valley.
  • DevalaousDevalaous Posts: 1,286 Member
    Several premade children in later expansions do have built-in LTWs and that is fine; they wont even keep their LTWs after they age to teens, unless it rolls to the exact same one they were coded to have.

Children born in-game that develop LTWs early is a sign of a problem though. The sheer corruptability of the game has always been the reason I never play the game in serious bursts, I spend months just trying to clean out the initial data to avoid the corruption, then get bored >.>
    Rebuilding Sims 2 inside Sims 3 one lot and sim at a time.

See my Sims 3 studio for latest progress.
    Yeah, I’ve been playing Sims 4 recently. I like Sims 2 for many reasons, but it’s so easy for the game to become corrupted (well, hood corruption rather than whole game). Plus the premade hoods like Pleasantview, Strangetown etc already come with corruption...
    edited June 2020
    Devalaous wrote: »
    Several premade children in later expansions do have built-in LTWs and that is fine; they wont even keep their LTWs after they age to teens, unless it rolls to the exact same one they were coded to have.

Children born in-game that develop LTWs early is a sign of a problem though. The sheer corruptability of the game has always been the reason I never play the game in serious bursts, I spend months just trying to clean out the initial data to avoid the corruption, then get bored >.>

I'm going to test this theory this week. Paricularly using the premaid families the OP mentioned above. Because I haven't played any premade household in years and years. I do recall playing (for a short time) the family in Riverblossom, and one or two in Desiderada. Desiderada hood is bugged in many ways, even when you bulldoze a house and rebuild on a lot. It has many glitches even in an empty template, that I have never been able to figure out why. Strange stuff happens in lots on the hood template even if you build from scratch. lol I try not to use it for custom hoods but I have yet to ever see premade families' kids have LTWs. But I'm going to load those families the OP mentioned and see if they are bugged that way. But I will add this note from experience. I used the hood checker once on one of my saves. It was a mistake by the time it was done 'correcting' data etc. or removing Sims from lots etc. My game was a bigger mess than before. I learned not to use it anymore. I wound up with a bigger mess than just a stuck Sim on a lot that didn't belong there. The only real corruption I have seen is when I downloaded shared lots off the internet (some even in this day and age) that held data of a Sim. I remember installing a lot (which I check before installing) and it had a Sim upstairs on a community lot. It was a popular download I got from tumblr or somewhere. I had to get rid of the lot from lot catalog and the game. Because no lot should be installed that has Sims in them but they can even if the SimpkCleanInstaller may not list a Sim in the files when you check to install. I saw her in build mode when I loaded to check out the inside. What a shock. lol

ETA: I'm back. @Lucy_Henley I loaded those hoods and yes, you are correct some children in Maxis' later EPs have LTWs. I didn't play those families when the games were released so I didn't know. I stand corrected. But it's not corruption of the game nor your mods. It's Maxis.

One thing everyone should remember is Maxis would cheat to build Sims, give them skills, age them up or down, and in some cases give them more than one Aspiration (Mr. Big is a good example of a Sim with several LT aspirations). They also used cheats like CFE to build lots, MOO to place objects and all sorts of things. They would actually play a household for awhile to kill off some and put them in the graves on a lot, or kill them off with the death token (Bella) etc. It's not a corruption but it's how they set up the premades so though I didn't know those kids had LTWs it's not corruption nor your mods.

Also just a note, I noticed when I loaded those households you mentioned a mod for a longer life (38 days for adults and 14 days for kids etc.) didn't work in those premade households. So, as I said some mods won't work with some packs even though we've had some mods for years and some will never work with TS2UC. In my case because of store packs like Fun With Pets that is part of TS2UC. Sally's dad was still 20 days away from aging and it should have read 38 days. It only works for newly created households and not on premade families I guess. Just thought I would mention it. But you were correct and so was @Devalaous some Maxis premade households kids have LTWs. It's probably because Maxis cheated to add them to family or up or down aging or to make it seem like that whole family wanted to be in dance or entertainment. Maxis did a lot of cheating in these games to set up households but won't hurt your game overall. ETA: And as I said I think the whole Desiderata hood is bugged with strange stuff even the empty template to build a custom hood though I can't prove it. Because in that hood since FT I have had the kids work activity table disappear long before I ever installed mods or cc back then. It still happens in some lots in that hood. I also have weird stuff happen if I use it as a template. I was going to ask one day what the heck is wrong with that template but decided to use a different one for a custom hood a few months age. It's a weird hood to me.
    Post edited by Cinebar on
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,094 Member
    You said you used Hoodchecker. I was actually going to recommend using it, because it's good at catching errors. I actually haven't had any problems with it messing up my game. But, you can use it to see what it catches, then use SimPE to manually address issues instead of hoodchecker.
    I go into SimPE periodically regardless to check stuff there.

Honestly, the best thing I ever did was invest time in making/getting completely clean neighborhoods and completely clean Sims and manually putting in their connections and memories. (Then I installed a no townie regeneration mod). It took a long time, but it was years ago and I haven't had any major errors in my game at all since. Most of what I catch now in hoodchecker or SimPE is just garbage memories or the occasional Sim with a relationship to self.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
    The thing was that these kids did not have LTWs before. I just happened to notice they were there when opening the save one day.

I've never really used SimPE before. I used it once, to correct a memory (the person got a negative engagement memory, even though they were a family Sim), but that's it.
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    @Cinebar Did you have those premades go through a birthday?

Most aging mods don't take affect unless they are newly created out of CAS or have had a birthday due to how the game stores age. It's always stored as X days until age up.

So an aging mod that is 100 days as adult and 50 days as an adult wouldn't affect a Sim with 30 days left as an adult. They'd have their birthday 30 days later.
    Seera1024 wrote: »
    @Cinebar Did you have those premades go through a birthday?

Most aging mods don't take affect unless they are newly created out of CAS or have had a birthday due to how the game stores age. It's always stored as X days until age up.

So an aging mod that is 100 days as adult and 50 days as an adult wouldn't affect a Sim with 30 days left as an adult. They'd have their birthday 30 days later.

Right, no I didn't have Sims go through a birthday. I stated when I loaded Maxis premade staple families in Maxis hoods I noticed the mod I have for increasing lifetime didn't work on them. It's automatic when I load my own Sim made in Bodyshop and CAS. Correct that particular mod doesn't work for already premade households in the game. The Two Jeffs mod SimBlender also doesn't work in one instance in TS2UC. If you age up a teen with a part time job into an adult that mod doesn't notice they are still in a part time teen job.

As I stated some creators on old archive sites state their mods won't work with the comp packs, I'd have to go back and figure out which ones I have that say that, lol, but point TS2UC does contain comp packs like FWP and others so not surprised some of my mods don't work as well with those packs installed with TS2UC as they did with just a base game and EPs from discs etc.

But this is all off topic, I guess, sorry OP.

But I did see the OP was correct, and I loaded those families mentioned in each of the hoods the OP mentioned hadn't played them before and those kids listed do have a LTW. I guess this was a Maxis mistake or something to do with FWP and maybe not there if someone just had the disc but seems I remember a patch about this a long time ago. I wish I had kept patch notes so we would know if they actually saw this, too and fixed it later, because I sort of recall something or some conversation about this a long time ago.