Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If You're Experiencing a Broken Save

Comments

• SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    edited June 2020
    I doubt it's related to hardware you're running the game on, since some of my saves are fine, others crash. It's definitely in-game. It's also not mod or CC related - I've never used either in my game.

There's a link in the twitter thread for submitting saves so the dev team can look at them and see why they're crashing, if those of you with broken saves think that might help. Never mind, most recent update says they've got enough saves to investigate already.

Also, AHQ thread: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/CURRENT-ISSUE-PC-MAC-XB1-PS4-June-3-Patch-crash/m-p/9167748#M132725
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I doubt it's related to hardware you're running the game on, since some of my saves are fine, others crash. It's definitely in-game. It's also not mod or CC related - I've never used either in my game.

There's a link in the twitter thread for submitting saves so the dev team can look at them and see why they're crashing, if those of you with broken saves think that might help. Never mind, most recent update says they've got enough saves to investigate already.

Also, AHQ thread: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/CURRENT-ISSUE-PC-MAC-XB1-PS4-June-3-Patch-crash/m-p/9167748#M132725

I think it's something in game. All of my saves crash BUT, I have 2 template saves where I have different builds, and families. I start all new saves from either one of these so whatever is wrong with my saves is likely in those 2 originals. Frustrating but I'm hoping they will have this fixed quickly, I'm sure they know how important our saves are to us.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • wrswrs2wrswrs2 Posts: 935 Member
    I tried one save, which worked fine, but my gallery isn't loading! Is that part of the issue too?
    http://ecoast.tumblr.com/ --- Simblr + Im Kreis Custom Content
    http://tmmts4.tumblr.com/ --- Top Model Magazine Cover Archive
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited June 2020
    I play only one ongoing game, but I do several "Save As"s during each game session just in case. My ongoing game's current save is working great so far. I haven't tried the others because they're only there as backups in case a meralien hybrid glitches or something.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Camkat wrote: »
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Camkat wrote: »
    Aine wrote: »
    I backed everything up, so I should be fine.

Me too. It's not that at all. I've taken my saves out and put them back in and you press play and they crash. :/

Could that be because the saved games are not updated if you took them out?

I saved backups. Updated the game. Try to load my favourite save, crashes to desktop. I thought, this is why I backup! So I delete them, and add them back in. Same 🌺🌺🌺🌺 thing. I've tried every which way from Sunday, repaired the game. Origin. Windows and graphics cards up to date? Nadda. Everything is fine on my end. I simply can't load ANYTHING I'd started before the patch. Anything I started today is just fine.

There's so many of us, I'm sure it will be fixed pretty quickly. There's a few game changers on twitter with the issue so I'm sure that will help speed them up. ;)

Could it be a favourite something you downloaded from the Gallery that had been modded like a Sim family or Sim you use a lot or something in the Tray folder? Sometimes it just helps if you transfer the whole Sims 4 folder to the desktop so that it can rebuild itself from scratch and you can replace stuff bit by bit.

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited June 2020
    If all else fails just move the whole Sims 4 folder to the desktop and let it build itself up from scratch again. That'll prove whether it's Maxis fault or you've got a modded downloaded Sim or lot maybe.

If those Saved files crash it it because you have used mods with them and they need them to work but now you don't have them as you have removed them to update? Just wondering. I know nothing about mods as I never use them.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    If all else fails just move the whole Sims 4 folder to the desktop and let it build itself up from scratch again. That'll prove whether it's Maxis fault or you've got a modded downloaded Sim or lot maybe.

If those Saved files crash it it because you have used mods with them and they need them to work but now you don't have them as you have removed them to update? Just wondering. I know nothing about mods as I never use them.

That's something I hadn't tried. I can barely keep my eyes open though (it's well past my bedtime here) so if there's no patch by the time I wake up tomorrow, I will definitely give this a go! Thank you.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • PianoCollectorPianoCollector Posts: 108 Member
    I can be certain it's not mods (at least in my case), as I'm on PS4, and the game crashes when I load my save.
    I've aways played one continuous save, so I don't have other alternate saves-files to test. However, from the sounds of it, this is a fairly widespread problem across all platforms.
    I really hope they can fix it soon, and without permanent loss of our saves.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    I would expect them to release a hotfix, it could take a week though. That's how long it took for them to release the hotfix for the CAS aging bug.

I'm not going to update until I hear more about what could be causing it, even if that means that I have to wait to play the new expansion pack.
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    I played a previous played save for TWO hours with no problems, with CC and updated mods aswell. I must be very lucky.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • cornflake88cornflake88 Posts: 368 Member
    I have three save files, only one crashes the game. It's definitely not mods or cc causing it as I never use them.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Aine wrote: »
    I played a previous played save for TWO hours with no problems, with CC and updated mods aswell. I must be very lucky.

I also had no problems. I played for maybe an hour or two.

Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I only have one save right now, working on the same save for 3.5 years (same family first generation but the kids are starting to become young adults and move out and they are almost elders). Around 1000 hours in this one save. I'm almost scared to open the game haha! fingers crossed the save will be fine.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I'm so mad right now. I clicked on my game to repair it because I was having a glitch. I had no intentions of updating until my mods get updated.
    It literally updated the game without my permission!! And I have automatic updates off now my game is crashing. Probably from outdated mods and cc though. I wasn't ready!!!😭😭😭😭😭
    I don't want to start a new safe. Ugh I'm hating origin right now.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • SeanBobbyGSeanBobbyG Posts: 112 Member
    I’ve been playing all night with no problems either. I did for some reason reboot my MacBook before I even played the patch don’t know if it helped in anyway. I never ever use ‘save as’ only the ‘ save’ button.
    I’ve got my main game with all my families in that save .. and my partner has his just for building every now and then but both play fine. I’m lucky. But I hope they fix it soon so people can access their saves <3
  • HeyYoDiscoNickHeyYoDiscoNick Posts: 463 Member
    I only have one save right now, working on the same save for 3.5 years (same family first generation but the kids are starting to become young adults and move out and they are almost elders). Around 1000 hours in this one save. I'm almost scared to open the game haha! fingers crossed the save will be fine.

I'm in a similar boat. I've been playing the same save since TS4's release. I updated, and lo and behold, that save is causing my game to crash. So I basically can't play until they fix this. I'm really disappointed. Especially because who knows how long that will take?
  • danceswithchaosdanceswithchaos Posts: 95 Member
    HELP?!

How can I play without running the update until there is a patch for the stupid patch? It won't let me open the game without updating and I actually have time to play.

I hate Origin so much. And I knew this would happen, which is why I had Origin open as sometimes when I leave it open, I can play without patching before updating to make sure it doesn't break anything, as this one obviously did. (sigh)
  • orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    this is why you backup. I also play a fresh game following patching to ensure the stability of the patch.
  • MLadyAzzeraMLadyAzzera Posts: 1,174 Member

I am in the same boat...unfortunately my 3 year save is GONE. I click on play, loading screen starts, and then BAM helllloooo desktop my old friend...I did not expect us to meet this soon again....

:'(:(
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I refrain playing the sims games for months when the game crashed and i lost progress of 2 hours playtime. imagine losing hundred of hours in the game progress and the patch corrupting my saves.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    You need to remember to backup your saves, people! This situation is exactly why you do it, so that if it gets corrupted you still have it.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    SeanBobbyG wrote: »
    I’ve been playing all night with no problems either. I did for some reason reboot my MacBook before I even played the patch don’t know if it helped in anyway. I never ever use ‘save as’ only the ‘ save’ button.
    I’ve got my main game with all my families in that save .. and my partner has his just for building every now and then but both play fine. I’m lucky. But I hope they fix it soon so people can access their saves <3

I highly suggest using "save as" so you can make multiples of the same save under different names. I have tons of the same save file with the duplicates so I never ever lose my precious game I started in 2014! You never know when your lone save file of all your hard work will become corrupted!
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member

I am in the same boat...unfortunately my 3 year save is GONE. I click on play, loading screen starts, and then BAM helllloooo desktop my old friend...I did not expect us to meet this soon again....

:'(:(

ALWAYS use SAVE AS! The gurus are working on a fix but in the future I'd recommend making as many duplicates as possible so you never lose your work. I also back up my saves on an external hard drive. I have had same save file since September 2014 because I make constant duplicates under different names.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    I just hope an emergency patch can restore these saves. I remember when the Lydnsey Speaker was causing saves to corrupt. My saves corrupted and wern't playable then they released the emergency patch to fix them and they were playable again. It's possible they will work again if we get an emergency patch so I don't recommend deleting them yet.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top