Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Application has crashed"

Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,966 Member
Last time I played Sims 2, I was playing with a couple. I got the gardening club to come over. Not long after they arrived, however, I got the "application has crashed" message. When I google this problem, most people have had it with Ultimate Collection, which I don't have. I found a Sims2Exception file in Logs, and the code thing says ACCESS VIOLATION. I don't have any idea what it's referring to!

Comments

• LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited May 2020
    I'm not sure what the code meaning is, and I do have the UC. I can't play it in full screen without it constantly crashing. What I do though is I play in Window mode and playing it that way it becomes playable. There are settings also that allow the window mode to be much larger that is pretty close to the same as if playing full screen.
  • Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,966 Member
    Ok, I’ll experiment with windowed mode.
  • k_reeser1k_reeser1 Posts: 153 Member
    your game crashed due to insufficient ram,the game only uses 2 gb of ram then it crashes out.|
    apply the 4 gb patch to your .EXE file and the crashes will be gone.
    watch this video.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=S9q3T-pLJfM
    untitled.png

• an_plantsiman_plantsim Posts: 4 New Member
    I have the 4gb patch applied (and showing in the log file) and am still getting these crash errors...
  • LogicallyironicLogicallyironic Posts: 137 Member
    I do not have the UC either, and I get the same crash notif here and there. From what I can tell, crashes aren't 100% unavoidable, but there are ways to make them less frequent.

I don't have too much experience with Sims 2 on Mac, so I will assume you're using Windows?

1. As others have mentioned before, apply and check the 4gb patch.
    2. Fix your graphics settings, either manually or with Graphics Rules Maker. I prefer GRM, but some swear by doing it manually. Whatever works best. However, it is key that you use the correct settings. The wrong input for "Force Texture Memory" seems notorious for causing both graphical issues and crashing.
    3. Obviously, CC and mods being improperly installed or uninstalled can cause crashing. I had an issue in which I did not completely remove a hefty gameplay mod, and that led to awful crashing.
    4. I have found success by stopping all background processes not needed to run Sims 2... which is most of them that won't throw you an "access is denied" message when you attempt to stop them. Look into the standby memory fix - some of the problem applications might be difficult to avoid, but you'd be surprised at how much standby memory an app like "YourPhone" will eat up in the background. I always close all non-Microsoft applications.

As I mentioned before, I still get occasional crashing even after taking these steps, but it's usually on very large community lots after playing for multiple hours.