Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Bees question

Do I need more than one beehive?

Comments

• sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    For what?
  • deadncrispydeadncrispy Posts: 500 Member
    sam123 wrote: »
    For what?

For honey and pollenating plants
  • love7680love7680 Posts: 123 Member
    edited May 2020
    When placing the bee box there is a grid guide that will show you which surrounding plants that will be covered by the bees! I have 2 in my garden but it doesn't cover all of my plants which is what i was aiming for.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    edited May 2020
    I didn't know bees interact with plants in the game! I know, silly really, since that's what they do in real life! I only ever buy them for honey in the game.

I wish we could make mead with the honey.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • scoed1227scoed1227 Posts: 145 Member
    edited May 2020
    Coming with Eco Lifestyle they will also produce wax. Yes, bees slowly improve plant quality within their effect radius. That radius is 5 squares to each side. The honey can save you from temperature related deaths if eaten and can be used in some recipes. Then the bees can be befriended at which point you can collect the bees and have them do things like give you gifts or attack other sims. Bee boxes are one of the best items in The Sims 4 in my opinion.

How many boxes you need depends on how big your garden is, how active your sims are in making candles, how much time your sims spend outside in hot or cold weather and use honey to protect them, and how many sims you wish to have them attack. One could be enough if you have a small garden, don't mass produce candles, or need the honey in a big way and aren't using honey as an income. Then again my botanist sim has 8 hives and needs them all.
    Post edited by scoed1227 on
  • DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,939 Member
    You can also collect swarms from the bee box and release them near plants that are outside the radius of the 5 grids. The released bees will pollinate the plants they are released near.

If I use a bee box, I will only use one then I use the bee swarm to pollinate the plants that are outside the grid of the bee box.
  • ErnesaTErnesaT Posts: 7,474 Member
    You can also collect swarms from the bee box and release them near plants that are outside the radius of the 5 grids. The released bees will pollinate the plants they are released near.

If I use a bee box, I will only use one then I use the bee swarm to pollinate the plants that are outside the grid of the bee box.

Do the bees go back to their box, no matter where it is located?
    yY5vKua.png[img][/img]
    edited June 2020
    ErnesaT wrote: »

Another swarm is available to collect from the bee box after some time passes. The bees that are released to pollinate plants leave the lot and pollinate any nearby wild plants. You'll never empty the bee box, there will always be bees in the bee box. Also the bees that leave the bee box to pollinate plants on their own, don't return to the bee box, they disappear.

Eta, I always put my bee box inside a greenhouse. I think but I'm not sure that in the winter the bees go dormant if placed outside.
  • StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,443 Member
    @DragonAge_300905 yes, bees do go dormant in winter. They're also less active in fall.
    Starfree wrote: »
    @DragonAge_300905 yes, bees do go dormant in winter. They're also less active in fall.

Thank you, I didn't know about fall. I just know that bees in rl go dormant in winter.
  • BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 949 Member
    I didn't know bees interact with plants in the game! I know, silly really, since that's what they do in real life! I only ever buy them for honey in the game.

I wish we could make mead with the honey.

At least the sims can bake a cake with honey provided they have enough cooking skill points.
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    My bees are always irritated and enraged. Any idea why ?
  • StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,443 Member
    jimbbq wrote: »

Could be they have mites & need treatment?
  • bandcampsquirrelbandcampsquirrel Posts: 2,187 Member
    ErnesaT wrote: »

Ness!!! There you are!!! Long time, no see! Hope you are doing ok....
    Now back on topic, I never knew bees did anything with the plants...now life suddenly makes sense...off to buy a beehive for my years old garden...lol
  • Sketch793Sketch793 Posts: 1,218 Member

You keep taking all their honey? In my experience, once the bees are calm they stay calm unless they have mites, or you collect honey, or you collect swarms. I have the beehives mostly to help improve plants, so I leave them alone most of the time.
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    My relationship is full green bar with them. And it seems I have to treat the mites problem every day !!! Yea I do grab honey off them but aren’t they supposed to give me honey ?
  • simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    My relationship is full green bar with them. And it seems I have to treat the mites problem every day !!! Yea I do grab honey off them but aren’t they supposed to give me honey ?

They don't give you honey automatically: you must harvest it from the box. As for their mood, do you ever "Bond with Bees"? That generally improves them right afterwards. What's your sim's relationship with them? I find that the higher relationship my sim has with her bees, the happier the bees and the better the honey. They also seem to get sick less. If you neglect them for a few days, they will get mites, and then the best solution is to treat the mites as quickly as possible and not to harvest any honey for a few days. I also avoid harvesting honey when the bees are irritated or enraged. If your sim has any skill in flower arranging you can also place any arrangement that is scented with crocus within five tiles of the bee box and that will keep them calm. IF you use mods, LittleMsSam also has an excellent mod called "Calm Bees" which works to improve the bees much like the bond function but without any risk of failure.
  • Sketch793Sketch793 Posts: 1,218 Member
    I didn't say you can't collect the honey. I just answered your question about what's making them irritated with my best guess. It's up to you whether you want to keep getting stung.
  • randy2355randy2355 Posts: 157 Member

They don't give you honey automatically: you must harvest it from the box. As for their mood, do you ever "Bond with Bees"? That generally improves them right afterwards. What's your sim's relationship with them? I find that the higher relationship my sim has with her bees, the happier the bees and the better the honey. They also seem to get sick less. If you neglect them for a few days, they will get mites, and then the best solution is to treat the mites as quickly as possible and not to harvest any honey for a few days. I also avoid harvesting honey when the bees are irritated or enraged. If your sim has any skill in flower arranging you can also place any arrangement that is scented with crocus within five tiles of the bee box and that will keep them calm. IF you use mods, LittleMsSam also has an excellent mod called "Calm Bees" which works to improve the bees much like the bond function but without any risk of failure.

I could never quite get the hang of keeping my sims bees calm. I tried your advice, and it really works. Im also getting higher quality honey when I do harvest it! Thanks for the advice. very helpfull.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    You can never have too many bees. (Is wearing bee socks today. Many, many bees.)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.