Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you prefer open world or open lots?

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2020
    Open lots
    If I had to choose between open world and or being able to build and play an open lot, of course I'm going to pick an open lot. I want to see my Sims in restaurants, theaters, bars, dance places, bowling allies, markets, shopping centers etc. I will always choose an open lot over an open world if that open world is filled with rabbit holes. Like so many little games these days. I don't mind a few rabbit holes but sea diving etc. no, it should have been open.

My answer is based on what you ask in the header and inferred in the topic. Open world with rabbit holes or closed world with all open lots...it has to be open lots, because I wouldn't play an open world with only rabbit holes. That would be highly boring.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SimsAddict_244SimsAddict_244 Posts: 274 Member
    It depends. I would love open worlds but what would be the point of it if everything is in rabbit holes or that there's barely any sims roaming around? I love how lively community lots are in S2 and S4.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I don't really get what you mean by "Open Lot"? Does that just mean closed world or what, if so of course I prefer open world who wouldn't but I also enjoy having good graphics and not having to wait 40 minutes for my game to load up
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Open world
    luxsylvan wrote: »
    I really like open worlds, but it was just so rough in ts3 especially with an older computer. I don't know enough about computers to know how/if it could be better now. But even without that, I don't want to be limited to a single large world with a single landscape. I like the varying climes and regions neighborhoods give, but dislike having to travel to every lot in my neighborhood, especially one right down the street. Thus, I'm an advocate of the open neighborhood idea (not my own idea, saw it somewhere else on the forum but it's good and don't want to take credit). That way your entire neighborhood is open and easy to travel, while you only have a load screen for a completely different area, which makes sense to me.

I don't think what we have now in TS4 is open enough--like how you can walk all the streets in the get together world but have to travel to the pub right down the lane by that small lot. That's annoying.

In TS3, you were never limited to just one single world. Even without mods, your sims can go to Egypt, France and China, the university town and the three versions of Oasis Landing (utopia, normal, dystopia which are all vastly different to each other). You can also switch out and replace the World Adventure worlds for other worlds without mods. With the Traveler mod, you can go to an unlimited number of worlds.

Also, when you say you have an old computer, just how old is it? My computer is old too - my computer is from 2014 with only 4gb RAM and an integrated Intel graphics card and it plays TS3's open worlds very well. You just have to know how make it all work together. And if you don't know, since you're here in this forum, there is an entire TS3 section that will help you. So there is really no excuse why TS3 wouldn't run well on your old computer unless its very, very old. And if it is, then it wouldn't be able to run TS4 either....

• KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    Open world
    Open worlds and open lots can exist at the same time.
  • LaniNeptuneLaniNeptune Posts: 19 Member
    Open lots
    Considering the Sims tries to be available to a variety of systems/customers, from semi-low end computers to top of the line zoomputers, it seems that open lot is this best option for smooth game play no matter how many rams. I've mostly played on a gaming laptops and Sims 3 with a couple of packs killed at least 1 of them, so I am more for open lot.
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    In between (please explain)
    Sims 4 loading screens aren't that bad (10-20 seconds, max), I mean, they're not Animal Crossing ( :'( ) but honestly?

I'd like a mix of 3 and 4. Give us big neighborhoods with LOTS of houses (none of this "you only get 3-4" nonsense) and make it so all the lots in that neighborhood are visitable without load screens.

Open neighborhoods are the way to do it.
    wJbomAo.png
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Open lots
    I love open lots because that's where all the interesting gameplay happens. TS4 has more things to do in the open community space, like skating and playgrounds, but not being able to modify them is annoying. Also, I prefer the short loading screens instead of the crazy zooming around the neighbourhood for a sim to get to his destination, not to mention some of the questionable routes they took to get there.
  • Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member
    Open lots
    I don't mind loading screens, they are in my case faster and less laggy than your sim driving everywhere, and I really was not a huge fan of Rabbitholes for 90% of the community spaces in the Sims 3. In the future, I think it will be completely open with both lots and worlds. But we aren't there yet, even most open-world RPGs have loading screens between buildings.
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    edited May 2020
    Open world
    Open world allows for so much more gameplay. Rabbit holes allow for quicker loading, and is less hardware intensive. But given today's computers, I don't see why we couldn't have both open worlds and lots for all uses. For example, in Get to Work with TS4; hospitals, science labs, and police stations are the first ever to feature open lots and actual open buildings. But, they are in hidden worlds. That is no good.

My biggest pet peeve though is the decorative buildings (and even major landmarks!) in the worlds. They aren't even rabbit holes! Either make them real, usable lots, or replace them with rabbit holes that at least have a function.
    Open world
    kwanzaabot wrote: »
    Sims 4 loading screens aren't that bad (10-20 seconds, max), I mean, they're not Animal Crossing ( :'( ) but honestly?

I'd like a mix of 3 and 4. Give us big neighborhoods with LOTS of houses (none of this "you only get 3-4" nonsense) and make it so all the lots in that neighborhood are visitable without load screens.

Open neighborhoods are the way to do it.

All those loading screens add up when your sims use the whole world and visit many lots per day. As much as I loved TS2, I hated the loading screens and after playing TS3, I just couldn't go back to TS2 and keeping my sims in my home lot for most of the sim day.

I was in the Paralives Reddit forum, and people complained about how TS4 has conditioned its players to think in narrow, closed and restricted ways. I agree with this. TS4 players often say that something can't be done because that's not how it's done in TS4 - but then Alex Masse proves them wrong when he demonstrates it in his game! That kind of mindset is one of the reasons why I hate TS4.

So if Paralives (and Paradox Tectonic's game) will have an open world system without it lagging, then EAxis devs should be able to do it too. I mean, on my old computer, the open world system of 32-bit TS3 works just fine. Imagine an open world 64-bit TS5 on the new computers we have out now. I already have quite a good amount of money already saved up for the new computer that will play these new life sim games!

Open world
    I don't mind loading screens, they are in my case faster and less laggy than your sim driving everywhere, and I really was not a huge fan of Rabbitholes for 90% of the community spaces in the Sims 3. In the future, I think it will be completely open with both lots and worlds. But we aren't there yet, even most open-world RPGs have loading screens between buildings.

90% of the community spaces??? Most of the community lots are ACTIVE: gym, pool, library, parks, beaches, clubs, cafes and the entire world is interactive. Also ALL the rabbit holes careers and stores can be turned into active ones. It wouldn't be good if ALL the rabbit holes were active all at once. I tried playing TWO active careers for a family with three children and that was exhausting!. It would be better if all the rabbit holes have an active mode toggle like they currently do in TS3 with Zerbu's mod.

Also I love for my sims driving from one place to another because it adds to the immersion and flow of gameplay. It's annoying to have to stop just for a loading screen even if it loads fast. Not good for hunting down zombies in a zombie apocalypse and you can't shoot down any that are even in the next lot whereas in an open world, you can from as many lots away as your gun site allows. And I just love driving through the world, it is really breath-taking! One of the reason why TS4 gameplay is abysmal is because there isn't enough immersion and flow to it. What's worse is that it's players keep making excuses for it so that devs don't have to try too hard. That just results in making more people giving up on it and why more people are buying TS3 and playing that instead.

• IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    Open world
    I hate having to abandon some of my sims if I want to follow other sims somewhere. The open world of the Sims 3 needed optimization and a lot of gameplay improvements, but I’d rather get to play all my sims than have to pick.
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
    Open lots

90% of the community spaces??? Most of the community lots are ACTIVE: gym, pool, library, parks, beaches, clubs, cafes and the entire world is interactive. Also ALL the rabbit holes careers and stores can be turned into active ones. It wouldn't be good if ALL the rabbit holes were active all at once. I tried playing TWO active careers for a family with three children and that was exhausting!11 It would be better if all the rabbit holes have an active mode toggle like they currently do in TS3 with Zerbu's mod.

Also I love for my sims driving from one place to another because it adds to the immersion and flow of gameplay. It's annoying to have to stop just for a loading screen even if it loads fast. Not good for hunting down zombies in a zombie apocalypse and you can't shoot down any that are even in the next lot whereas in an open world, you can from as many lots away as your gun site allows. And I just love driving through the world, it is really breath-taking! One of the reason why TS4 gameplay is abysmal is because there isn't enough immersion and flow to it. What's worse is that it's players keep making excuses for it so that devs don't have to try too hard. That just results in making more people giving up on it and why more people are buying TS3 and playing that instead.

I think we're talking non-modded games and I like to exaggerate numbers it'smy favoriteform of humor...
    You do you than, you like cars, I think they're annoying and laggy. And I'm not making excuses, most video games I've ever played have loading screens when you enter buildings or new area, the Sims just does it when entering a lot rather than a door.
    Open world

90% of the community spaces??? Most of the community lots are ACTIVE: gym, pool, library, parks, beaches, clubs, cafes and the entire world is interactive. Also ALL the rabbit holes careers and stores can be turned into active ones. It wouldn't be good if ALL the rabbit holes were active all at once. I tried playing TWO active careers for a family with three children and that was exhausting!11 It would be better if all the rabbit holes have an active mode toggle like they currently do in TS3 with Zerbu's mod.

I think we're talking non-modded games and I like to exaggerate numbers it'smy favoriteform of humor...
    You do you than, you like cars, I think they're annoying and laggy. And I'm not making excuses, most video games I've ever played have loading screens when you enter buildings or new area, the Sims just does it when entering a lot rather than a door.

TS4 players talk about non-modded games only when they talk about TS3, but TS4 NEEDs mods for live game mode to work properly. That's worse than TS3! Because with TS3, the gameplay is intact and works well. You would basically need just two mods to keep it running well, but everything else works.

Other Games:

I play other games as well. Right now I have Borderlands 1 & 2, The Saboteur, The Witcher and Shadowrun: Dragonfall installed. The reason why loading screens aren't anywhere near as annoying as it is in TS4 (and even TS2) is because there is SO MUCH to do, so much gameplay in each of these games before you're slammed with a loading screen. Maps in both Borderlands 1 & 2 are HUGE and open world. The only time I see a loading screen is when I go to the next map. The Saboteur takes place in one massive open world - 1940's 🐸🐸🐸🐸 occupied France (and one little piece of Germany). Yes, players will see a loading screen entering some of the buildings (not all buildings are accessible), but most of the action is outside, so loading screens are not much problem there either. It's the same thing in The Witcher and Shadowrun: Dragonfall.

In a closed world life simulation game, the gameplay is spread out more with fewer things to do in each lot. So of course people are going to end up facing more loading screens just to get the same amount of things to do and gameplay than other games just mentioned. That's why an open world system is much better like in TS3. It encourages people to use the entire world and not confine their sims to visiting as few lots as possible like what happens in TS4 and TS2.

The Edge That Open World Has Over Open Lots - Even Without Cars!

In terms of traveling, maybe you didn't play TS3 enough, but didn't you know? You can also just teleport from one place to another if you didn't want to travel by any type of transportation. And there are many ways to do it. Here's the easiest way: Ctl+Shift+C, type testingcheatsenabled true (you only need to do this once for your entire playing session) and then Shift+Click on the place where you want your sim anywhere in the world and *poof!* - they pop up there! And still no loading screen!!!

That's why open world is so much better than open lots! TS5 needs be open world!

• ManakoHimeManakoHime Posts: 285 Member
    Open lots
    As much as I loved the TS3, the open world just took too long to get to places. Would like open lots as I hate the loading screen every time I go next door.
    Open lots

TS4 players talk about non-modded games only when they talk about TS3, but TS4 NEEDs mods for live game mode to work properly. That's worse than TS3! Because with TS3, the gameplay is intact and works well. You would basically need just two mods to keep it running well, but everything else works.

Other Games:

I play other games as well. Right now I have Borderlands 1 & 2, The Saboteur, The Witcher and Shadowrun: Dragonfall installed. The reason why loading screens aren't anywhere near as annoying as it is in TS4 (and even TS2) is because there is SO MUCH to do, so much gameplay in each of these games before you're slammed with a loading screen. Maps in both Borderlands 1 & 2 are HUGE and open world. The only time I see a loading screen is when I go to the next map. The Saboteur takes place in one massive open world - 1940's 🌺🌺🌺🌺 occupied France (and one little piece of Germany). Yes, players will see a loading screen entering some of the buildings (not all buildings are accessible), but most of the action is outside, so loading screens are not much problem there either. It's the same thing in The Witcher and Shadowrun: Dragonfall.

In a closed world life simulation game, the gameplay is spread out more with fewer things to do in each lot. So of course people are going to end up facing more loading screens just to get the same amount of things to do and gameplay than other games just mentioned. That's why an open world system is much better like in TS3. It encourages people to use the entire world and not confine their sims to visiting as few lots as possible like what happens in TS4 and TS2.

The Edge That Open World Has Over Open Lots - Even Without Cars!

In terms of traveling, maybe you didn't play TS3 enough, but didn't you know? You can also just teleport from one place to another if you didn't want to travel by any type of transportation. And there are many ways to do it. Here's the easiest way: Ctl+Shift+C, type testingcheatsenabled true (you only need to do this once for your entire playing session) and then Shift+Click on the place where you want your sim anywhere in the world and *poof!* - they pop up there! And still no loading screen!!!

That's why open world is so much better than open lots! TS5 needs be open world!

I didn't want to argue over something that's clearly a preference with no bearing on the other's game play but you continuously have this defensive attitude when it comes to the Sims 3. I love the Sims 3 too and I'm not talking exclusively Sims 4 vs Sims 3. I never once mentioned 4 in my posts. This isn't even about which game is better (though Sims 1 is my fave). I'm saying I prefer the closed worlds with open lots. Every other Sim game besides 3 was closed world and I am talking about unmodded for both. You say the Sims 3 works well but go on to say it still needs mods too. Neither game is perfect.

Also again I played a lot of the Sims 3, I have 600+hours on the Sims 3. Just because you like the travelling portion, I do not, and I will not remember to use a cheat code ever time or put Llama stations on every lot. It's a preference. You really need to not argue everytime someone says they don't like an aspect of a game you like.

I can't even speak on the loading times from your examples because I've never played any of them. They aren't the type of game I play at all. I don't play any FPS, I primarily play fantasy RPGs like Zelda and Dragon Age and Simulation like Harvest Moon. Having a brief loading screen for a second to ever a building doesn't break my immersion...

You still have load times in the Sims 3 by the way it really comes down to if you want it all at the beginning or shorter ones during gameplay. If you don't mind me asking how long does it take for you families to load in the sims 3? Mine range from 5 minutes for a new save to an hour (I timed it at exactly 53 minutes last time) for my legacy challenge file even after repairing it. So really in my case I'd rather just open the game and play and deal with load times as I go than wait to play a game.
  • dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    Open world
    I don‘t understand why people think open worlds can‘t have open lots. Not every community lot in TS3 was a rabbit hole.

It‘s 2020, we can have both.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Open lots

I play Sims 4 not modded a lot, it's still 100x better than Sims 3 to me...
  • BohoFlowerBohoFlower Posts: 143 Member
    Open lots
    I haven't played The Sims 3 but from watching gameplay on it i can't say i'd enjoy watching the sims for hours just roaming about the whole world it takes some time already with Open Lots for them to get from 1 thing to the next so i think it's better, i really don't mind the Load Screen between Lots because it on Base Game it loads super quick and i can just press M to quickly switch between Lots no problem, it's definitely better functionality wise to only have the Lot you're on Loaded rather than the whole game at once, but it still feels like i have freedom to run around.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Open lots
    I like open lot/neighborhood so much better. Open world looks pretty but the lots are so dead. With open neighborhood or lot theres so many more people and the world feels alive.

Also, an open world has dynamic towns and has story progression. Every townie has their own careers, wishes and traits that govern where they go. So they don't always go to the same places your sims go, like in a closed world where townies don't have real profiles with careers, wishes and traits.

I dont use mods and dont want to rely on placing my house near hotspots.

Do traits really affect what lots townies or nonactive sims go to? Like I dont know if a book lover sim usually visits a library it seems at random in TS3 (besides their work schedule).

Honestly I just like the open lot system better. ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • MollyG1997MollyG1997 Posts: 299 Member
    Open world
    Open world, to me, gives you so much freedom! I personally hate loading screens, always have and always will. It's 2020. It should be a must IMO. I can live without them since we have to, but for things such as in actual neighbourhoods, it should be an open world at least, and for apartments.

If the open world isn't a thing for The Sims 5 - I'll be disappointed.

I don't know if anyone has ever messed around with the tab option, but if you tab and then go to a neighbours house, all the furniture is already there and loaded in!
    CAGyZIg.gif
    hello neiiigghhhhbour
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    edited June 2020
    Open world
    Open world is like really being in control. Without an open world, a potential Sims5 would be a carbon copy of Sims4 and useless to make. I would rather add to the Sims4 for 10 years than start over in another closed off world. That is a quantum leap backwards from Sims3. There's nothing they could do for the Sims5 that would be worth starting over unless open world was part of it. Also, they should up all specs and make a fantastic game instead of holding back for machines that aren't gaming computers.

Why open world:

1. I could micro manage all Sims in my household, you can only control one in Sims4. I felt like I controlled my game in Sims3, but the Sims4 game limitations control me and my game. I've seen my kids play all kinds of games in huge places and they don't have loading screens.

2. I could look and zoom and see all Sims in that world and have my Sims go there. I didn't just know what my sim was doing, but all the Sims in the whole world.

3. I could see cars drive. It made the game feel real. I would take drive time over a loading screen any day. Many simmers have commented that they don't care for cars in Sims4 because we don't have open world and can't see them or go anywhere.

4. We have larger worlds in Sims3, because maybe Sims4 is so unstable that we can't have them? I had total immersion in Sims3, but loading screens stopped that in Sims4. I cringe when I see how small Sims4 hoods are. All our worlds were huge in Sims3. A few of the Sims4 worlds are 1/4 or less of the size of Sims3. We can't even have several 60x60 lots with lots of other lots.

5. Can't even walk in another yard or place of business without a loading screen. Talk about breaking the mood.

6. No making your own world and placing lots. That was power, although I will say roofs, being able to place smaller lots in a larger one

7. Collecting is different. We can't collect crawling things on the ground or flying insects. No gems on the ground. Not sure if closed world causes issues with that or not.

I don't think open world has as much to do with limitations as a rushed Sims4 and having to change it last minute because of Sim City failure and people not wanting shared gaming. Also there was the 32 bit holding it back. We can't even make bin Sims in CAS supernaturals without a bunch of steps instead a click in Sims3.

Not all, but some will talk about Sims3 performance when answering this question, but in many cases, that's not the Sims3's fault. Many had problems and lag due to having computers that were 32 bit or not good enough for heavy gaming.
    Many had cc that was bad due to downloading bad content. Many used mods. Sometimes all of that extra stuff probably lagged the game on cheaper computers. I don't have to guess, I know. My computer stopped a couple weeks before Sims3 Supernatural came out. I bought a reasonably priced gaming computer. I feared what any cc would do to my game with Supernatural coming out and was tired of stick babies, so I went vanilla. I think I only had a complete freeze/mess up 3 times since Sims3 supernatural came out many, many years ago till now and I still play it. After seeing the huge difference vanilla made for that game, I don't think lag and problems were all due to open world, but in many cases, computers that didn't work for this type of game, bad cc, and mod interference. As a matter of fact, those 3 things were the first things that they asked for simmers who had problems. So many problems people had when new packs came out, I didn't have because I played vanilla. I didn't have lag in Island Paradise. This is with the whole store and all Sims3 games fully loaded. As a simmer said above, the computers people played on caused most of the issues.

Perhaps one answer is for EA to endorse their own reasonably priced gaming computer that has Sims3 open world in mind. This would be for those who wanted to make sure that they had a computer good enough to run it, while others could buy or keep their better ones. One problem with Sims3&4 was devs holding back because e 32 bit and low end computers. Endorsing their own computer would solve that and just as 32 bit went to legacy, if you don't have the specs for Sims5 then play 1-4 as legacy players are stopped where they are. PlayStation doesn't dumb down their games because they make the unit and everyone is on the same playing field, I think any future Sims5 should do the same. If you don't have the specs, then you become a legacy player just as when you bought computer programs long ago and they told the player which systems it would play on.
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    Open world
    Not sure why rabbit holes are mentioned when voting open world or not. Sims4 is full of rabbit holes jobs. Babysitter for instance. They could've chosen to open all the jobs in the Sims3. Open world didn't cause them not to open jobs, they just didn't open them. Closed world doesn't mean more Sims, lot traits that tell Sims to show up does. A Sims5 open world could have lot traits telling Sims to show up just as easily. They just never thought of it when they made Sims3.
  • Patch__2008Patch__2008 Posts: 498 Member
    Open world
    Open world hands down. Besides the color wheel that was my favorite feature of TS3. I loved being able to walk to a fishing lake or get in my car and drive to a friends house or a store without having to deal with a loading screen. I really don't like how every time you want to travel there's a loading screen.
    ~Find Me On YouTube: My Channel~IG: katiesadie00~Twitter: katiesadie00~