March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Nifty Knitting Stuff Pack Hairs!

SimGuruSarahSimGuruSarah Posts: 53 SimGuru
Happy Friday Simmers!

I am very happy to share with you today the new hairstyles that are coming in Nifty Knitting Stuff.

Some of you have asked why hairstyles weren't part of the votes that took place. Ultimately, there were two reasons why they weren't included in the voting process. I’m going to lean on SimGuruGraham’s explanation from the first Community Stuff Pack (Laundry Day), as I think he sums up the process quite nicely:

“First, it's important to note that hairstyles are typically the most time consuming assets that we work with external partners to create. The process starts with gathering photo reference of different people wearing the hairstyle that we're creating, so that we have a variety of examples of what that hairstyle can look like. From there our artists will draw their own interpretation of the hairstyle superimposed over a bald Sim. They create two versions of these drawings - one which is opaque, which demonstrates what the final material should look like, and the other which is transparent, so that the modeler has a clear example of the shape and volume of the hairstyle in comparison to the position of the Sim's head. Throughout this time, revisions are made based on feedback shared by our art director. While this process isn't all that different from other assets, the amount of detail in each hairstyle means that these assets simply take longer to create than objects and clothing. This ends up impacting our development schedule; we tend to lock in our hair selections prior to the objects and clothing, so that our artists and external partners have more time to work on them. Looking back at the votes we held for this project, not only did that mean that we couldn't wait to include these alongside the objects/clothing vote, but we didn't even have enough spare time to hold a separate hairstyle vote. Essentially, the moment we had the results of our art style vote, we had to immediately start working on the hairstyles. This was the one hurdle in this project where we couldn't figure out a way to include a hairstyle vote without delaying the milestones in our development schedule.

The second reason we didn't vote on hairstyles centers around a philosophical question of what we were trying to accomplish with this project. All of the votes you participated in for this project were intended to mimic the same development process that we follow internally. Each vote was based on the group discussions we have to select assets or features for a pack. But when it comes to hairstyles, they're typically selected by the pack's Art Director without a lot of outside input. Our art directors have collected a treasure trove of reference material of various hairstyles that we could include in the game someday, and with each pack that comes along they choose a few from this collection they've amassed. This allowed them to make decisions immediately following the art style vote, and already have ideas in place that they could act upon. Because selecting hair styles isn't really a thing we make consensus decisions about, it made less sense to hold a vote for it, so as to more accurately represent our development process.”

That said, I’m so excited to share our hairs with you! They are in the game right now and I just got to play with them in Create-A-Sim for the first time. I hope you’re as excited for them as I am.

This is an Adult Female hair that our Art Director has been itching to include for the longest time. We’ve nicknamed it “the Mom Hair” : )
n4sokc1i8jn5.png

I just love the back of this hair!
lx3qkz14lmy5.png

This is another hair we’ve been wanting to add for a while. These are (jumbo sized) Crochet Locs, a name that is quite fitting for a hair included in an Arts & Crafts themed pack.
uvy8c0a35cfc.png
plm4mbxaiklb.png

If you want to make a mini-me we’re including both of these hairs for kids too!
izm6dhq3iajl.png
9qhoyncsryvf.png

We have three new hairs for Men.

This one is a favorite with the Dev team because the wingtips make it feel so unique compared to our other hairs.
wed5t7h8npp9.png

We have a version with wingtips for the distinguished older gentleman, and also a single tone version for his younger counterpart.
xqkfzcus0ryc.png

This is our third male hair.
tzhoulwyf32b.png

Check out the side view:
7ybxs2up04ov.png

It’s cute on the ladies too!
xv1dhr8ltfld.png

And male children get these hairs as well.
57bj5c71cogb.png

oq4yx72vt1z5.png

Quick reminder that Nifty Knitting Stuff is still in active development, so we may make some edits to the hairs as the pack progresses based on both Art Director feedback and to address any bugs that are uncovered.

So tell me, which hair is your favorite?!

Comments

• xChuChySimsxChuChySims Posts: 2 New Member
    THESE HAIRS ARE AMAZING!!!! AWESOME JOB!!!
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I honestly can’t choose! They’re all soooooooo good! I am so excited about this pack in addition to the EP arriving next week I can hardly stand it. I think you guys are doing a great job. 👍🏻
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    Omg the first hairstyle is everything <3
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • peragogoperagogo Posts: 223 Member
    edited May 2020
    The locs look amazing!
  • GlitteringSkittlesGlitteringSkittles Posts: 38 Member
    The first hair is cute and the male hair style..but not very keen on everything else.
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    Those haristyles looks wonderful! You guys have done a wonderful job with these <3
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • EmilyJayneEmilyJayne Posts: 3 New Member
    I love them all! The Crochet Locs are so artsy! Looking forward to using them all once the pack comes out. Thank you for sharing more info - I love to learn about the behind the scenes process.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,710 Member
    Love, love, love the Mom hair! 🥰
  • PinkusfamilyPinkusfamily Posts: 587 Member
    edited May 2020
    Thank you so much for sharing !! <3

I am so excited for these next few months as to whats coming ! :)

The only thing is - is that we don't know the 3rd pack coming out... WE know June- Eco, then I assume Knitting after that in the next month or so , But then what? :o

I won't go there . ;)

Yet.

Have a Lovely weekend all ! <3
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    Yay, these hairstyles look great. I'm so pleased to see male hairstyles in particular that I like.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    The second female hair is breathtaking :o Awesome job, folks, awesome!
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    I love the second female hair. I like them all, but I think that's my favorite.

I'll admit to being a tiny bit disappointed we didn't get a messy bun with hair sticks, but there's a similar style in Eco Lifestyle which will work well enough for me. (Even though that's a single hair accessory, rather than two separate sticks)
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    I already know quite a few of my sims that will have the mom style :) All look great!
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    edited May 2020
    that mom hair A+ love it, could we have a grey roots version of that too?

also, love the baby hair addition on the locs
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    Thank you for the update, the hairstyles does not interest me that much, but the rest of the pack looks good.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    I like these, but I am not too fussy about hairs. As long as they don't obscure the sims' faces, I like them all.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    Happy Friday Simmers!

I am very happy to share with you today the new hairstyles that are coming in Nifty Knitting Stuff.

Some of you have asked why hairstyles weren't part of the votes that took place. Ultimately, there were two reasons why they weren't included in the voting process. I’m going to lean on SimGuruGraham’s explanation from the first Community Stuff Pack (Laundry Day), as I think he sums up the process quite nicely:

“First, it's important to note that hairstyles are typically the most time consuming assets that we work with external partners to create. The process starts with gathering photo reference of different people wearing the hairstyle that we're creating, so that we have a variety of examples of what that hairstyle can look like. From there our artists will draw their own interpretation of the hairstyle superimposed over a bald Sim. They create two versions of these drawings - one which is opaque, which demonstrates what the final material should look like, and the other which is transparent, so that the modeler has a clear example of the shape and volume of the hairstyle in comparison to the position of the Sim's head. Throughout this time, revisions are made based on feedback shared by our art director. While this process isn't all that different from other assets, the amount of detail in each hairstyle means that these assets simply take longer to create than objects and clothing. This ends up impacting our development schedule; we tend to lock in our hair selections prior to the objects and clothing, so that our artists and external partners have more time to work on them. Looking back at the votes we held for this project, not only did that mean that we couldn't wait to include these alongside the objects/clothing vote, but we didn't even have enough spare time to hold a separate hairstyle vote. Essentially, the moment we had the results of our art style vote, we had to immediately start working on the hairstyles. This was the one hurdle in this project where we couldn't figure out a way to include a hairstyle vote without delaying the milestones in our development schedule.

The second reason we didn't vote on hairstyles centers around a philosophical question of what we were trying to accomplish with this project. All of the votes you participated in for this project were intended to mimic the same development process that we follow internally. Each vote was based on the group discussions we have to select assets or features for a pack. But when it comes to hairstyles, they're typically selected by the pack's Art Director without a lot of outside input. Our art directors have collected a treasure trove of reference material of various hairstyles that we could include in the game someday, and with each pack that comes along they choose a few from this collection they've amassed. This allowed them to make decisions immediately following the art style vote, and already have ideas in place that they could act upon. Because selecting hair styles isn't really a thing we make consensus decisions about, it made less sense to hold a vote for it, so as to more accurately represent our development process.”

That said, I’m so excited to share our hairs with you! They are in the game right now and I just got to play with them in Create-A-Sim for the first time. I hope you’re as excited for them as I am.

This is an Adult Female hair that our Art Director has been itching to include for the longest time. We’ve nicknamed it “the Mom Hair” : )
    n4sokc1i8jn5.png

I just love the back of this hair!
    lx3qkz14lmy5.png

This is another hair we’ve been wanting to add for a while. These are (jumbo sized) Crochet Locs, a name that is quite fitting for a hair included in an Arts & Crafts themed pack.
    uvy8c0a35cfc.png
    plm4mbxaiklb.png

If you want to make a mini-me we’re including both of these hairs for kids too!
    izm6dhq3iajl.png
    9qhoyncsryvf.png

We have three new hairs for Men.

This one is a favorite with the Dev team because the wingtips make it feel so unique compared to our other hairs.
    wed5t7h8npp9.png

We have a version with wingtips for the distinguished older gentleman, and also a single tone version for his younger counterpart.
    xqkfzcus0ryc.png

This is our third male hair.
    tzhoulwyf32b.png

Check out the side view:
    7ybxs2up04ov.png

It’s cute on the ladies too!
    xv1dhr8ltfld.png

And male children get these hairs as well.
    57bj5c71cogb.png

oq4yx72vt1z5.png

Quick reminder that Nifty Knitting Stuff is still in active development, so we may make some edits to the hairs as the pack progresses based on both Art Director feedback and to address any bugs that are uncovered.

So tell me, which hair is your favorite?!
    Glad to see more ethnic hairs are included. The 2nd female hairstyle will look good on my sim Lily. I'm also glad to see children are getting these.
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    The hairs look good. The only negative is the fact we still can’t individually change the color of hair accessories. Like maybe I wanna put my Sim in the black crochet locs but don’t want white pieces. You all always decide the color of the hair accessories for us and I would like us to have the opportunity to change the color of the accessories without changing the color of the hair.

Any chance you all can work on that for the future?
    Yeah, that’s kind of frustrating. It looks like those are supposed to be silver or something though, so they’re probably going to be the same for all of the swatches.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    Hmm, glad males are getting more hairs I am always happy to see that.
    The first one is so cute <3.
  • divanthesimmerdivanthesimmer Posts: 1,462 Member
    I love the first female hairstyle, as well as the "older gentleman" one. I will say the third male hairstyle reminds me of one that came in Cats & Dogs and the second one isn't different enough from the first one, but I still like them all!
    phULnBI.png
    Check out my SimLit blog here: https://ageekylegacy.wordpress.com/
    Follow me on Twitter @divanthesimmer
    Follow me on Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/divanthesimmer
    Origin ID: divanthesimmer
  • DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    The second female hairstyle and the third male one are my favourites!