Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cars (and How They Would Be Implemented)?

cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
With rumors now circulating (which I do not believe it until the Sims team announces it officially) that cars will be coming to the game with an upcoming patch, I am currently thinking on a "What if" basis. But, given how the game is set up, I am very curious how they will be implemented and used. In my opinion, the engine and design of all worlds made it impossible. These are my thoughts right now.

First of all, look at the worlds and neighborhoods. For the most part, they are small. Unless the areas where the current (decorative) cars run are opened up to Sims; there aren't many places for cars to run. Neighborhoods are tiny, streets are often narrow, so no places to park a car. Very rarely do any lots get street access. Thus, either a new world is going to be created just for cars (hopefully it is open-world), or some major retooling to existing worlds, and their layouts has to be done. Thus, expect a lot of stuff to get messed up if it's in the game.

Many of the worlds already in the game have gas stations and car washes (among other businesses and shops) in the inaccessible, decorative parts of the world. The same goes for many of the areas where traffic is seen. Could the worlds be retooled to give these areas some functionality, even if as rabbit holes? Perhaps the gas station could have a convenience store that could function similarly to a grocery store?

What about the parking spots and garage doors from older games? One of the Gallery houses I use features a garage; which I did add two of the cars from "BuyDebugMode" into. I sure hope we get those as opposed to something that is stored in a Sim's inventory like a bike.

At present, Sims currently teleport everywhere, and they are never seen getting into, or out of a vehicle. Quite often, however, a taxi is among the vehicles that are seen traveling the streets as decorative vehicles with no function. Will Sims now get into a taxi if they don't own a vehicle? Ala Sims 3?

How will the cars be designed, and how will Sims interact? I personally am hoping for the same level of detail as TS2 in how Sims interact with cars. Hopefully, Sims can do a lot with them including repair and upgrade; which they can't with current (barely better than decorative) modes of transportation like boats and bikes. Woohoo?

And what cars are we getting? I honestly find the models used for decorative cars a bit on the ugly side. Hopefully, there is a selection similar to TS3 from a pile of junk to high-end European sports cars. And hopefully, no recycled models from TS3, either. I want tastefully designed generic vehicles representing cars, trucks, and SUVs from many different eras. I personally object to real-life brands in the game, but we have had Fiat and Ford in the game before, as well as Toyota in FreePlay. Thus, those previous relationships could be leveraged.

Since TS is on an eco kick as of late; electric vehicles make a lot of sense to be among the offerings in-game. Instead of gas stations, charging stations could be placed anywhere in the world; and would likely be a Build/Buy item like the cars.

Comments

• crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    I don't know if they can alter the neighbourhoods, would be nice if some of the decor lots are actually placeholders for future lots. Regarding cars, I hope they are interactive, with many choice actions available. Fix-up cars, repair broken parts, change tire, refuel, get neon underlights, tune speed, change the km counter, woohoo, listen to radio, bug car, swipe car, scratch with key, spraypaint, steal the radio, learn to drive, start fire, wash car, etc. Sims should be able to name cars if they are a car enthusiast, they could find spare parts in the junkyard. Regarding the bug car interactions, I think this is something that should be expanded upon the bug sim interaction that came with Strangerville. We should be able to use that interaction for more things, like for a private detective job, or jealous sims could bug their love interests, or blackmailing or steal an invention or recipe or something. I have a sim who bought the listening station and there'snot much to do with it after Strangerville. Anyway, I am looking forward to cars. If we get electric cars it would be nice if we could re-charge them at home too.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    I'd just like to say: hardly anything is impossible. They can pretty much change whatever they want, given enough development time. If it's true that cars have been in development for over a year, I think some big changes are coming to the current worlds (roads possibly being added where there were none, for example.)
  • GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,291 Member
    edited May 2020
    I'd love it if emotions were implemented with cars e.g. angry/tense sims would slam the car doors and clench their jaws when driving, playful sims would beep the horn/flash the lights etc, sad sims would rest their head on and cry at the wheel (not when driving, obviously). A brand new car would make sims happy but buying a dirty, cheap one will make them uncomfortable/tense. Cars should also come with a reliability score like appliances do. Cars with low reliability will break down more often than expensive ones with higher reliability (obviously). Breakdowns, if left long enough, lead to fires.

I'd really like them to not only focus on personal cars for sims but service vehicles for the NPCs too e.g. maid, gardener and repairman vans, school buses, fire engines, the repo van. When/if we get burglars I'd love for them to include a getaway car/van instead of them just sneaking on/off the lot like in past sims games.

I hope they make the interiors a bit more detailed than they were in past sims games (bit of an ask, I know) but I think that would be great for storytelling purposes. There are a lot of movies/tv shows where there is a interior car scene so to have this in the sims would be really cool and great for stories.

They should be very expensive to buy and run unless you buy a cheap one. I'd like to be able to wash cars and have children and teens be able to do that as well as adult sims. Cars should need re-fuelling every so often - if you have the Eco Lifestyle pack buying normal fuel (rabbithole) would harm the environment but using biofuel from the beetles won't.

I hope they update the deco cars driving around in the background too as they aren't very pretty right now.

EDIT: Oh and I would also love to have a proper convertible car with roof on/off options (I don't think this has ever been a thing) and motorbikes, too! The ability to set ownership as well.
  • IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    I’m barely interested in cars aside from the teen aspect. Being taught to drive. Taking your driving test. Wanting a car or wanting to fix up a car. Taking your parent’s car without permission. Parking on a lookout for some date night shenanigans. Obviously not all of this is teen exclusive, but I’d love for the teen gameplay to be there.

I’d also really love if sims didn’t know how to drive by default. Make it easy to cheat or get around (or have a toggle) so players aren’t frustrated by giving every npc that should have a license a license. Somehow make it so relevant premades already have theirs when the pack is installed. Make townies spawn with one like 90% of the time (or context dependent, like townies that spawn in the city or aliens or less likely to already have a license). But I don’t want it to be like the bike where everyone just magically knows how to ride one. I want driving to be a skill, I want driving without a license to be possible and have consequences, and I want it to be possible to not know how to drive.
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • Carl_Veluz1992Carl_Veluz1992 Posts: 500 Member
    Yeah There will be Sim-Owned Cars with Garages with features

1.) Restorable Cars
    2.) Upgradable Cars
    3.) Being Taught from Teen to Elder
    4.) With Emotions
    5.) NPCs will have their own vehicles
    6.) Taxis will also be there.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I would rather have all waters be swimmable than have cars.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley: