Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Off-the-Grid Authors need love

I have a sim that wants to write books yet I want them to live off-the-grid. I was thinking of a few items that EA could give us for such and one that came to mind was a typewriter. What do you guys think?

Off-the-Grid Authors need love 161 votes

I would LOVE to have typewriters!
59%
crocobauraSara1010PIcewolfjeepjeepcatIceyJMadameLeeCelticgamer0AiichiAshida382AprilDawnCamkatSimpatsyannIsb917CorkysPetalsjoelygirlsims2BloosmooStrangerthanelanorbretonCynnakerryemmiebethMariefoxprice83 96 votes
Typewriters would be cool to have.
28%
Akl500Pbshag4lvKita5399love7680lisamwittSageRainWillowAjaGioloubylouloualyssasim87AquariusMomspice3HarukotyanZeldaboy180bixtersLoriTSpSindocatannaliese39fiercephoenix91DoloresGreySekril 46 votes
Meh...
7%
Colorist40PlayerSinger2010freindlylolBagoas77GwastenMicafallenangel66BatmanFanGirlHearts4ucharlesbergSimmerGeorgeEvilinPinkAwenya 12 votes
Other (Explain)
4%
drakharisKathykinsSilentKittyTamakiSakura84Atreya33MondayNorthDakotaGamer 7 votes

Comments

• Options
    NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    Yes to both typewriters and notebooks. Maybe even scrolls or actual books for certain period settings.
  • Options
    TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    Other (Explain)
    Good ol' pencil and paper, please.
  • Options
    alyssasim87alyssasim87 Posts: 1,277 Member
    typewriters would be neat. but i have to admit id also really love to see writing with pen and paper too.
    my origin id is simkitten87

Im a simmer forever <3
  • Options
    cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    would love a into the past game pack with stuff like this. newspapers, journals, type writers, etc.
  • Options
    mikamakimonmikamakimon Posts: 470 Member
    Typewriters would be neat to have! I have one household with the off grid lot so I would like to see more activities for them.
    Do we not already have journals? They are more like diaries, but they do increase the writing skill.
  • Options
    NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    Typewriters would be neat to have! I have one household with the off grid lot so I would like to see more activities for them.
    Do we not already have journals? They are more like diaries, but they do increase the writing skill.

They can’t be used to write Books though.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Other (Explain)
    Let writers have all the things.

I would love to have a typewriter and a notebook that could be used for writing everything that needs to be done with the writing skill. Books and letters.

I used to be able to mod this into the game, this is something that I really miss.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,468 Member
    Other (Explain)
    I would love to have some sort of notebook to write novels, actually write them instead of typing them.
    A typewriter would also be a welcome addition, not my first choice but better than only pc's for writing books.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,153 Member
    It would be great to have a typewriter for my writers.
  • Options
    CorkysPetalsCorkysPetals Posts: 1,400 Member
    I would love typewriters IF they would add old models too. Back in Sims3 Roaring Heights days I got a CC typwriter so my sims could have a period appropriate writing machines. I loved Roaring Heights. Anyhoo, my RL off the grid friends use solar to charge their laptops.
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited May 2020
    It would be nice if someone would mod the journal that came in Parenthood I believe so we could do writing interactions.

I do not anticipate us ever getting a typewriter because that would be too old school and everything in this game is modern and technologically savvy.

I could see them adding another tablet type device. We currently have 1 we can play games on and surf the web and 1 we can paint/draw with. It would’ve been nice if they had just added the painting interactions to the first one so we wouldn’t need 2 separate devices. It would be even better if they added writing interactions to one of them.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Yes to typewriters, but also a simple notebook would be great too. They already have the animation with the homework interaction.

This new EP and being able to generate and store your own power should actually help with this issue, but it's still not the same as just not using power at all.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    I would love notebooks and sketchpads too.
  • Options
    MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    Yes please. Especially notebooks. Typewriters are good too.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • Options
    StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    I'd love typewriters in the game, old and new! The different book genres should also then display how many pages they'll be on, so you'll know how much paper you need. ;)
  • Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 893 Member
    I would love to have typewriters in the game. One of the Christmas gifts I got as a kid that I loved the most was a type writer. We didn't have central air where I grew up, and it was cold as all get out during winter if you were anywhere in the house other than the living room. I wanted to use it so badly, I actually used it in my bedroom with mittens on my hands. Ah, fun memories.
  • Options
    AjaGioAjaGio Posts: 262 Member
    Typewritters would be cool. B)
    This old school way of writing :)
    Make it portable so Sims can write anywhere they feel the impulse to ;)
  • Options
    MondayMonday Posts: 385 Member
    edited May 2020
    Other (Explain)
    I have a lot of Opinions about typewriters that are irrelevant to the fact that yes, please put typewriters in the game, always, put everything into the game!

More than a typewriter, however, I just would love a notebook and pen for writing!

My unsolicited typewriter opinion is that typewriters can be rather irritating to use, especially come time to edit a manuscript, and if you're going to be typing instead of hand writing something, you might as well use a computer instead because it's going to be so much easier. One of those 'a computer is a tool that makes it easier so why would you use a typewriter if you didn't absolutely need to' things. But typewriters are a great idea, as well as pen and paper, especially for off the grid lots! And they should both be there for when you do absolutely need them! Plus, in general typewriters are really pretty amazing.

I love playing off the grid, and it'd be nice to have a way for writers to live that way. It seems pretty essential, really, since writing doesn't 'need' a computer the way something like programming does to get it done. So the job shouldn't necessarily be locked behind going to a library for true no-power off the grid lots.

(I briefly used an electric typewriter growing up, does that break the typewriter rules?)

Eco living will allow power to be generated for off-the-grid, of course, so laptops will be able to be used, but playing with zero power and water is also a good deal of fun and should not be overlooked.

Also, pen and paper/typewriters would be amazing for anyone who wanted to play a more historical game.
    a63ftuN.png
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I'd love typewriters, but also notebooks and journals like other people have said. I'd also like Letter Writing instead of calling and texting! And actual phone, not cell phones!
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    This is actually a good point. You are right.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,531 Member
    Typewriters and notebooks would be amazing. Such a small detail but definitely something they should look in to.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Other (Explain)
    All the cc for writers are connected to the computer for a mesh. The cc typewriters and even a printing press I found.
  • Options
    MeliroseMelirose Posts: 5 New Member
    Yes, this would be great for historical gameplay as well. So much in The Sims 4 seems to require a smartphone or computer, when notebooks, newspapers, landlines (or flip phones :D ) or radio could work just as well and give us more choice in how we play.
  • Options
    Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    Meh...
    meh...