Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What kind of simmer are you and what inspires you when you play?

Are you more into gameplay? Or do you prefer building and decorating. Or are you perhaps more into creating interesting looking simmies in CAS? I’m a mix of gameplaying and decorator.

And like the question also says: What inspires you to play? Things that inspire me would have to be seeing other simmer’s gameplay pics and reading about the different ways they play. I’ve hit a dry spell in my gameplay so I’ve been taking somewhat of a break but seeing how other people play always helps give me ideas on what to do in my game :)

I’ve become more of a builder/decorator in Sims 3 in the past year or two than actual gameplay so another thing that inspires me is seeing RL interior design pictures for ideas for themed lots that I’m working on.

For example, looking up pics of country themed houses and design has helped me improve the landscaping and interior of this house:
5e3fc0d5f02fd349a322267222566bea062d7ec0.jpg

c539b79133e92f8c10d93b78834afa51c4d9ccc9.jpg

57252d768c8e5c376b324f5cc453814ea71326d6.jpg

I’m mostly just posting this because I love seeing the differing ways that my fellow simmers play their games. It always gives me ideas for what to do in my own game :p

Comments

• GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,079 Member
    Your builds are so lovely!
  • ZeiZei Posts: 254 Member
    That's such a beautiful house @Amphora !! Do you ever upload your builds, or do you build for yourself?

To answer your question, I like downloading other creators' worlds, households and sims and trying to make up stories for them. If they already have a story set-out, all the better, I just build on it and expand it accordingly. I've never liked creating my own sims or building my own houses, I don't know why. But I love making over existing sims and re-decorating houses to better suit the stories I have in mind.
  • AmphoraAmphora Posts: 3,959 Member
    Your builds are so lovely!
    Thank you! And I always like seeing the stories you have going on in your game :)

Zei wrote: »
    That's such a beautiful house @Amphora !! Do you ever upload your builds, or do you build for yourself?

To answer your question, I like downloading other creators' worlds, households and sims and trying to make up stories for them. If they already have a story set-out, all the better, I just build on it and expand it accordingly. I've never liked creating my own sims or building my own houses, I don't know why. But I love making over existing sims and re-decorating houses to better suit the stories I have in mind.
    Thanks, that means a lot! It’s kind of a mix, I build mostly to my own preferences but every so often I’ll put up some lots for download. My favorite type of lots to build for quite a while now are community lots. I like building up empty pre-made worlds with my own stuff :)

I can see why you prefer other’s builds and sims better! You get more time to play that way :p
  • SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    In the sims 3, I am a huge gameplayer who also likes to spy what my sims does and tries to imagine what they say. ;)
    I created a small hundred of sims I love playing CAS.
    I also enjoy doing parks but even if I downloaded every plants I saw there are never enough varieties for me just because Nature is awesome in this game especially.
    I also decorate but less because it's hard to have inspiration with this game compared to what I generally done with sims 2 and sims 4. I just enjoyed to redesigned venues lots and the exteriors of the rabbitholes to make them more fun for my sims.

___

Wonderful pictures @Amphora
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,079 Member
    Thank you! And I always like seeing the stories you have going on in your game

Thanks =)

Answer: I'm more of a storytelling person rather than gameplay.
    Usually my stories are based off a movie, real life event, book etc, but sometimes
    I base them off dreams or random things.I mostly enjoy doing romance/historical stories.
    And love taking screenshots in-game.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,403 Member
    edited May 2020
    The basis for most of my story-telling...comes from Donald P. Bellisario.
    JAG_KA.jpg
    The brains behind the JAG TV series.
    MV5BMTY2Mzc4MjMwNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDk0NTcxOA@@._V1_UY317_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg...and my inadvertent match-maker… Yes...he and his staff even sent congratulations.

I've written a ton of fanfiction on the JAG TV series over the years on Onelist (when that was a thing and then on Fanfiction dot net (when I got back to writing again)...and it was how I met @Featherbelle who became my RL wife.
    Screenshot.jpg
    My wife simmified. :mrgreen: We can't show our real faces on the forum. :mrgreen:

Screenshot-51.jpg
    Screenshot-43.jpgScreenshot-45.jpg
    I've always come up with situations to put the JAG characters into and well...Sims 3 allows me to play with Don Bellisario's creations in a visual context interacting with my own Original Creations (characters). And my text stories on FF.net garning praise like
    What a fabulous story - always glad to hear about Meg Austin's life after JAG. You have chosen a nice and sympathetic way to bring Meg back with your wonderful "Animal" creation, plus Mac and Harm to please many readers. Plus our old friends Bud and Alison Krennick as well - the possibilities sound endless! More, please, as you develop your stories.

makes...my telling JAG stories worth it.

Screenshot-3.jpg

I do come up with my own ideas for my own fiction play-throughs, but they're mostly Walter Mitty-esque flights of fancy; after all, Sims is a way of escaping the monotonous grind at least for a while.
    Post edited by Nikkei_Simmer on
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    edited May 2020
    Your builds, landscaping and decorating skills are superb! My sims are lucky to get matching colours/furniture in their houses :D

I am a family/generational player. I don't need inspiration and have happily played the same way since the game came out. I have added CC and mods over the years but my basic style hasn't changed. Having said that, installing a new genetics mod recently has inspired me to play more than ever! This is the family I started to test the mod.

Eddy and Jason are my founders. They are now elders.
    49840351443_7c28e5fae3_o.jpg
    49940184378_e0be4ce38b_o.jpg

This is Jed, their first born. He is now the father of two kids of his own!
    49908735411_f615dba60c_o.jpg

Jade was second and she is also the mother of two of her own :)
    49918699081_8511aff961_o.jpg

Edyson came next. He is heir and has just aged up and will be marrying soon :)
    49940184618_ef91dfd3d6_o.jpg

Jayden is their last child and is currently a teen.
    49929716611_dbf3d06868_o.jpg

I also enjoy making sims or making over EA premades but that's because I like to add new genetics to my saves :)
  • SomearylalaSomearylala Posts: 32 Member
    I would honestly say gameplay even though I'm easily bored. But, I am trying to build in Sunset Valley 2 a world from scratch. I've already added a playground, beach and beach playground, spa, cafe, gym, library and currently I am working on a mansion.
  • EarcatEarcat Posts: 461 Member
    That is a beautiful house. For me, I'm mostly a game player. It's funny that no matter how many babies my sims have, I still get excited when baby is born, even though baby looks a blanket with a face. I thought I was finished making houses, but I keep coming up with new ideas and making them, and I've made a few worlds.
  • AmphoraAmphora Posts: 3,959 Member
    @Simsophonique Gameplay is always fun! And I actually do a lot of similar things to you as well. I love to use rabbitholes and both decorate and landscape around them to make them match the town I place them in. I save time by not having to build community lots that way :p

@GraceyManor I love having storylines in my game just like the ones you talked about. I've had one pretty big overarching story in my save for a few years now lol. It makes gameplay so much more fun if you place meanings behind them :)

@Nikkei_Simmer What a great idea using a TV series as inspiration! And thank you for sharing the great story of how you met your wife. I always love hearing about things like that. And it's amazing that you have so much great feedback for your writing - that really helps keep the inspiration flowing, in my opinion :)

@Mikezumi In my opinion, you do such a great job getting your sims to match the look of their RL counterparts. I always love seeing your new projects on here! I may not comment a lot but I love lurking and seeing great work like that. I'm terrible at creating such varied looking sims like you are so I enjoy other's work vicariously :smile:

@Somearylala I really enjoy doing the same things you do. Building in empty worlds can be so satisfying. Feel free to share pics of your work here - I'd love to see!

@Earcat Thank you! You've created worlds?!? Holy moly, I always greatly admire those who have built worlds in CAW since that program can be such a pain to go through! I've thought of making worlds but I greatly lack the patience to go through the hassle of it :D
  • SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    Amphora wrote: »
    @Simsophonique Gameplay is always fun! And I actually do a lot of similar things to you as well. I love to use rabbitholes and both decorate and landscape around them to make them match the town I place them in. I save time by not having to build community lots that way :p

We got the same taste I am happy ! Do you like playing in town where is no high buildings? I redesigned Lucky Palm.
    I also like writing when my sims or event interesting happened like this event truly happened so cute !!

https://simsophonique.dreamwidth.org/tag/ts3+story
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,110 Member
    The basis for most of my story-telling...comes from Donald P. Bellisario.

MV5BMTY2Mzc4MjMwNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDk0NTcxOA@@._V1_UY317_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

^I second that. :mrgreen: In regards to Quantum Leap, not JAG. :p

I mean seriously, QL ended TERRIBLY and Doctor Beckett's story HAD to go on. So I made it a point to do just that. :smirk:
    https://emilyssims3stories.wordpress.com/ql-sam-beckett-story/

TV shows or video games certainly inspire me to write Sim stories, but sometimes my wild imagination will as well. :blush:

@Amphora Over the past 5 years I've become a Sims story writer. :)
    I've always been more of a player than a builder. My husband was the builder, I never was. :lol: I do enjoy playing around and creating sims in CAS sometimes too. :)

But yeah, I love playing the game and then writing about it. :mrgreen:
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • Patch__2008Patch__2008 Posts: 498 Member
    I'm largely a challenge player. I've played Black Widow, Family Man, 100 Baby, 10x10, Hunger Games... Before I started making YouTube videos it was all I'd play. Now that I'm a creator, I mix in building and CAS play. I do enjoy giving premades makeovers from time to time. Even going back to my Sims 3 days I always have been, and likely always will be, happiest playing a challenge. I like the goals and how it's achievement based. I just can never really get into just playing a family through. I get bored lol :joy:
    ~Find Me On YouTube: My Channel~IG: katiesadie00~Twitter: katiesadie00~
  • EarcatEarcat Posts: 461 Member
    Emorrill, that's the great thing about The Sims. If you don't like the way a book, movie or TV show turned out, or if you ever wonder what happened to a minor character, you can make your own story.
    World building takes a long time, but when you're done, you have a world that's exactly the way you want it to be.
  • SleepstarSleepstar Posts: 814 Member
    I build houses (I rebuilt the Molyneux House from a big block to a villa recently), create Sims and while playing, tell stories. I plan to do a Legacy Save soon.
    Currently aiming to get all harvestable produce in The Sims 3 (One EP left)Will complete a Legacy one dayhttps://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=katcalls2k907 (My Wishlist)
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member

I've always liked telling stories with my sims. I don't base them on tv shows, but some of the elements from the stories are based on books that I've read such as the soulmates and bonding in my Ballan family story. I rarely let sims have complete control over their own life. I find it boring just to sit and watch them as if I'm watching a tv show. I need to be more involved in their lives. Even when I let them have some autonomy I will direct them to do what is needed towards skills or the story. I also have large families because just playing with one or two is not as much fun.
    I love building and decorating as well as making my own sims for the stories. Over the last couple of years, I've been playing a family that has become quite extended and I've enjoyed seeing how their lives changed over time and the adventures they have in their lives. I don't worry about time as I pause or adjust it as needed for the story. I also play mostly fantasy sims with the occasional human tossed in.
  • jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    I love your decorating talents - it is always so great to have unlimited funds when it comes to redo a mansion ;)
    NymlADp.jpg
  • NitroglycolNitroglycol Posts: 121 Member
    Amphora wrote: »
    Are you more into gameplay? Or do you prefer building and decorating. Or are you perhaps more into creating interesting looking simmies in CAS? I’m a mix of gameplaying and decorator.

And like the question also says: What inspires you to play? Things that inspire me would have to be seeing other simmer’s gameplay pics and reading about the different ways they play. I’ve hit a dry spell in my gameplay so I’ve been taking somewhat of a break but seeing how other people play always helps give me ideas on what to do in my game :)

I’ve become more of a builder/decorator in Sims 3 in the past year or two than actual gameplay so another thing that inspires me is seeing RL interior design pictures for ideas for themed lots that I’m working on.

Nice work. I've been mostly into gameplay myself, so my designs (which I'm starting to do more often mind you, if only to make room for new sims to move into) tend to be more functional - e.g. how many bedrooms can I put here for a given cost. Once I have an imagehosting account I'll post a few pics of my designs, but I doubt I can compete with yours.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,403 Member
    edited June 2020
    One of the things that I forgot was that I'm also into Machinima. I got my Photoshop and Premiere Elements back after my computer went down and converted my old HDD to an external which is now attached to my laptop. And thus I can now start working on some more machinima as I go along as well as potentially getting a mic or headphone-mic setup to start recording "Let's Plays" Let's just say that @Karritz has provided some excellent inspiration on the Let's Play front (and thanks for keeping me occupied when I didn't have access to a computer). Her Let's Play video provided endless entertainment...considering I tried to go all the way back and start watching her videos right from the very beginning. I was watching Youtube through my TV so couldn't comment on any of the videos...unfortunately. I'll probably have to go back and watch them over again and comment.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • KNORearKNORear Posts: 522 Member
    What a great thread!
    As for me I play mostly Legacies( current one is a Decades Challenge and I’m loving it!) and other Family play.

I also really like CAst and Usually create most of my own Sims. I’ve also really gotten into Custom content recently. Initially I just need CC because of the nature of the Decades Challenge, but now I sometimes just like to browse it . There are some talented CC creators out there!
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    @nikkei_Simmer good luck with your new videos. I've been busy making a video for a different channel. It was exhausting and I was starting to think I'd never get it done. But it is now loading to my other channel. It will be 6 months next week since I loaded my previous video to that channel so I thought I'd better get this one done. I should be back to my regular Sims 3 vidoes next week. I have plenty to do there and I'm missing the Sims.

I'm glad you found the videos I've already done a fun way to keep in touch with the game while your computer wasn't working. I hope you continue to enjoy my videos.

Happy Simming
  • McToshMcTosh Posts: 638 Member
    Gameplay/roleplay/story telling :)
    ewb7fssg3zet.pngingame: commandermctosh feel free to add ;D
  • wendyyi1wendyyi1 Posts: 579 Member
    Mainly gameplay. I'm also trying to get some of the badges.
    In general, I don't do challenges or legacies, because I like to let my sims 'personalities' guide the direction of the gameplay.
    However, I will occasionally do limited duration challenges such as the Big Brother challenge and the Grandpa/Grandma on the Run challenge.
  • CarlaLCarlaL Posts: 9 New Member
    I'm creating Ellie Goulding, love ALL her songs actually. I also got TS4, but use it just for creating sims.

For TS3, I'm having a complete household now. Starting from a very Tiny house with open kitchen, open living room and dinning area. Adopt a puppy (she is so lovely). Then married to a NPC sim and now have a kid. As more room is needed, the original house is now a double storey one. 1 room for the boy and 1 for us. Downstairs has been changed to a larger dinner room and living room. Haribo also lives downstairs.

TS3 is truly amazing that all sims including Haribo are able to react sensibly. Harry, our boy, he does dish washing and is quite independent. He's just at children stage but acts very mature. He rarely talks to us though but loves reading. It's amazing. TS4 doesn't work that way if memory serves me. Anyhow, I love TS3 more and I love playing reality. No plan to get the Vampires expansion pack.

I might get Generations though, if ever there is a sale later, and possibly University to complete the collection.

I am not a good builder, your home looks so lovely and adorable. It's fabulously warm inside, full of atmosphere for a small family. You're amazing!
  • GguyGguy Posts: 254 Member
    edited June 2020
    I'm everything in one package (Storytelling, building, experiencing the various gameplay aspects...ect). In fact, i think mixing all of these aspects together is what makes for a complete experience. As for what inspires me? Well, i love architecture and interior design, i love storytelling, i love games. And, well, i'm a huge fan of the series (Favorite to least favorite game: Sims 3-Sims 2-(REDACTED...aka the sims 4)