Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Teen High School Ideas

KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
I saw some people complaining about the "American" aspect of that poll. I'm ok with that, but as I'm from Brazil I can share some ideas I've lived in my school.

- Elementary School Art Book: At the beginning of our elementary lives, I remember that each classroom had that, each student would make a drawing and write something (a text, poem, or whatever) and at the end of our elementary lives we would all be presented with this cute book with all the drawins and texts compiled to remember our childhood and classroom friends.

- Cantonment: I had scholarships at a private catholic school. The school itself is divided in 3 buildings, an kindergarten building, an elementary building and the third one is a little away from the others (probably cuz they didn't manage to find all three at the same block) and there is the middle grade and high school. When I was moving from the Elementary to the Middle Grade they had an event to comemorate this important step in our lives... It was a mix of a fair, camping indoors and partying. We sleept on separate class rooms (instead of tents on a regular camping), we had a pool party at them pool gym, one of the school rooms had been turned into a haunted house scenario, we had huge trampoline at the patio, a movie screen being projected in the regular gymnasium wall and all sorts of fun stuff. I remember fondly of this.

- Gymkhanas: Every year we have an event called gymkhana... its like a miniature sized olympics mixed with those crazy games from TV like quizzes and obstacle courses. The school is divided in groups of students, being led by the senior high schoolers. The winner group gets a prize (like going to a farm resort, or a resort by the beach/river/waterfall) and the winner earn points on school grades. At this event the school also promotes good causes like donating food that will be sent to people in need, gathering junk/thrash or separating them to be recycled. The gymkhana groups used to remind me a lot of the Hogwarts house when I use to participate.

- Cultural Fair: Just like the gymkhanas we had something called Cultural Fair. The gymkhanas usually happened at the middle of the second semester, and the first one at the end of the first. My class had like... 30 students?! Maybe?! I don't remember Basically your class was divided between groups of max 10 students and at least 5, I think and you would all pick a theme. I remember a couple of the ones I've worked on... Halloween, Feminism... You'll be judged by the class-leader teacher (don't know how its called, but it was kinda like each class had a godfather/godmother teacher each year), and only one was the winner. One week later, saturday morning we would have a school-sized version of it. We would present the same theme, with improvements based on what the first teacher thought could be made better, the room would be super well decorated with the theme, etc... (During the Halloween theme I was even dressed as Mad Hatter and my other group member were dressed in other costumes), the top groups would get extra points on our grades. I mean, each "level" of that would get points, but as you progress further on the levels you get more points.

- Grades: In Brazil our grades are based on numbers, not letter like the US. We had bimestres (I don't know how its called in english but its a small sized therm like semester. While semester is a whole 6 months, bimestres was 2 months or so). The first month we would have "Testes (Tests?! Trials?!)", which were written exams and the second month we would have Provas (Proofs?! Exams?!) which were multiple choice, or right/wrong questions. At the end of the bimestre you should have at least 7 (although at some point the downsized it to 5)... If you had less than 7/5... nothgin happened, besides disappointed parents, BUT it would reflect at the end of the year. To be allowed to move to the next grade you had to have 70 points in each subject (when the minimum was 7, 50 when the minimum was 5). If you didn't succeed in 1/2 subjects you could pass the next grade, but in other periods you would still have to study those subjects you weren't approved (which could be dangerous, cuz if you didn't succeed again you would totally bomb TWO years at once).

- Classes/Subjects: We can't choose most of our subjects. The only time you can is at the beginning of your first high school year between english or spanish (I've choosen spanish, but the only one I know how to speak ins english for some reason... past lives?!). Also, we didn't move from classroom to classroom like I see in most american movies. We would stay in the same room for the whole year unless something happened like water leaking or whatever, and the teachers themselves were the ones to be moving around. Thus, we didn't had cabinets at the school for most of my years. You would just bring in your backpack whatever you would use that day and leave your backpack hanging on your table/chair. Most teachers didn't use textbooks, it would usually be for homework and studying at home, but some of them did ask for you to bring the book even though they were huge and heavy bricks and sometimes they didn't even use it.
BUT: My 2 last high school years I've left my private school scholarships behind. We were having a financial crisis at home, and I've felt guilty somehow and felt like I didn't deserve being in a private school cuz I wasn't good enough using second hand clothing and not being able to go out in some events with my friends cuz I didn't had money to pay for it, so I decided to go to a public school. There the students were the ones to be moving araound, but that doesn't mean we had cabinets... we had to carry the freaking huge books around all the time. Luckily it was MUCH different, the teachers were good, I had most textbooks given for free (altought the ones they couldn't provide are never sold on bookstores)... I had one or two teacher/subjects lacking for a couple of weeks/months, but it was manageable. Unfortunatelly some schools at more poor neighborhoods sometimes lack a teacher for years, and for us its a problem. Here's why:

- ENEM/PAS/Entrance Exam: We had 3 high school years, while I think US has 4, right?! So, we had an exam called PAS, and it had 3 levels, you would do each one each year with what you had learned, and you would be allowed to enter your states university (other state students didn't compete against you in this one, each would be going to their states respective public university). But, you can only enter this exam during the first two years of high school, and oyu need at least 2 of those years to be allowed to participate. For those who already left high school, we have Enem (national high school exam), we have that every single year at the end ot the year, at the grades from that can give you scholarships on both public and private university. You can use your grading for 2/3 years I think, but that doesn't mean you automatically have a spot in uni... you have to compete with other people for a list of spots, and the higher the grades the bigger the chance. Public Universities are way higher quality teaching than Public High School/Middle School, but at the same time, the more money you have to spend on studying, the bigger the chances of you getting on public university... And if you didn't had one or two subjects/teachers your whole life, the chances are that your going to be indebted to get in a private university (usually university is public, and we calle the private ones "faculty/faculdade").

I know, Brazil's school system is all wonky and all weird, and its quite a wealthy thing for some. But, If I'm not worng, after I graduated high school they changed things a bit. Now you can choose which subjects you can take, thus some people won't suffer on Entrance Exams cuz they didn't knew geography or mathematics. I think... I might be wrong, cuz I don't high school since 2014.

Other things:

How I got a private school's scholarship? Just like in SIms 2, my mom had to convince the headmaster to give it to me and my sister. It's more humiliating in real life, cuz she had to prove to him that we didn't had much money to pay the full price, but what she did gave me advantages in academic life even when I left the private school to go to a public one. Only 2 years wasn't that much harmful and I probably didn't experience the hardships my friends did, and for that I'm grateful to my mom.

Most of us simmers barely use Magnolia Promenade, its so lame as small. I'm sorry, but at the same time I really want it to be more useful to me. So, a pack for high school/middle school/ etc could expand Magnolia Promenade, y'know?! i hate that the lab, the hospital and the police station are off screens, so it would be the perfect opportunity to add them to the actual map screen too and let us edit them whenever we want (like, just add a notification that you need them to play the active careers later on, and thus let us add those types of lots on other worlds too). If you didn't buy this pack you would have the regular MP map screen/drawing we always had, and if you only had this pack and not GTW the existing MP neighborhood would be just a drawing... If you had both, boom... a whole Magnolia Promenade. (I know the lab is set ona desert, but why MP can't be next to Oasis Springs?!).

ANYWAY... I know some of that information is negative and sad, but ignore those parts and make it more positive/semi-utopian in SIms, cuz every child deserves education. You can add private schools and boarding schools for richer sims/have them call the headmaster to give them scholarships, and have public school for poorer sims (and for players that don't want to control their sims at school... boarding schools could be unplayable too like in SIms 3). Thus:

- Private Schools: You pay for them, can get scholarships if your sims had good grades and its active liek the active careers;
- Boarding Schools: You pay for them, can get scholarships even if your sims didn't had good grades (and they might be forced into the military boarding school if you don't take care of their grades like in SIms 1), and they aren't playable/your kid don't return home every day. You can only call your kid/teen back home if they weren't forced by the social worker to go to them, otherwise you won't be allowed to play as them until they turn into YA) [ALSO, for those that don't like consequences, have a toggle to stop the game from forcing your kid/teen into the military boarding school];
- Public Schools: The regular ones for those that don't want to play active school, and still want their kids to return home everyday.

Comments

• king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I think that building a school might be more fun in playing it.

Imagine building this in The Sims?

SC_PHL_02_0380_54_607D.jpg
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    @king_of_simcity7 I loved playing the active university in SIms 3, so... haha but building it would be fun too.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    @Karon It has been a while since I sent any Sims there but I am starting to plan for it again. It actually turned out to be a really good EP and one of the best. I think the fact that you can focus on a Sims future in the sense of skill building is one thing I find good out of it as a Sim does actually do more than just get a degree
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • frenchfreyfrenchfrey Posts: 36 Member
    I like a lot of the stuff that Sims 3 generations had to offer for the teens - proms, teen parties, graduation is a semi-event (that parents could attend!), and just more involvement in teen life in general. I don't know how those things could be added at this point with parenthood already out and whatnot.
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    @frenchfrey I've never had prom in Brazil. I forgot to mention that... the only party we had was something we call "Festa Junina" and the graduation party and ceremony. BUT I've always dreamed of going to a prom like the ones in american movies, so... I wan't that in Sims 4, would be even cooler if it was actually playable like that mod that someone relesed some time ago.
  • frenchfreyfrenchfrey Posts: 36 Member
    @Karon that sounds more like our Grad dance we had senior year. We have (at least at my high school) a junior prom, then a senior dance (which I guess one could consider a 'prom') as well as a late night festival of activities - games, raffles, stuff like that - in our schools gymnasium
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    What I would like is Teens having more homework then that notebook I would like for them to study for college. I would also like to have teens run for the ASB. Have little clubs outside of school like Glee Club, Theatre Club etc. I would like Homecoming Game/Dance and who gets to be King or Queen. Same with Prom. I would want a ditch day for school, also prank day, Grad nite for anyone whose graduation, Grad picnic with a bonfire for the end of the year, have a yearbook, and class ring and etc.
  • MinaiMinai Posts: 704 Member
    frenchfrey wrote: »
    I like a lot of the stuff that Sims 3 generations had to offer for the teens - proms, teen parties, graduation is a semi-event (that parents could attend!), and just more involvement in teen life in general. I don't know how those things could be added at this point with parenthood already out and whatnot.

Yess!!
  • RhiannonravenRhiannonraven Posts: 128 Member
    Yeah - building a highschool that would function without mods would be so great. Also, we just need more teen-specific things. Teens are way too similar to adults right now! I want playable school, or at least school events like field trips and grad that happen often and are playable.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    A functioning high school is what I really would like, that we could follow kids to class or actively play as a teacher (both optional of course).
    Even more than that I'd want the same thing Primary school for kids

And the feature I want most is homeschooling haha!
    I'm in Canada and I had 3 high school years (10-12)and 2 middle school years (grade 8-9)(and 8 elementary school years (K-7).

HOnestly I'd love to see the teen life stage divided so we have preteens. Kids that can have a first crush/date but can't woohoo. Kids that can babysit, but only for younger siblings. Kids that get a paper route (that's still a thing where I live and everyone gets a free weekly newspaper here as well as the option to opt into paid ones). Kids that go to middle school, not high school etc.

I want subject homework and doing it raises skills in those subjects. Maybe even a tie in to uni scholarships (get an A in Math you can get a math based scholarship or something)

Field trips would be great!
    A functioning high school is what I really would like, that we could follow kids to class or actively play as a teacher (both optional of course).

I'm in Canada and I had 3 high school years (10-12)and 2 middle school years (grade 8-9)(and 8 elementary school years (K-7).

HOnestly I'd love to see the teen life stage divided so we have preteens. Kids that can have a first crush/date but can't woohoo. Kids that can babysit, but only for younger siblings. Kids that get a paper route (that's still a thing where I live and everyone gets a free weekly newspaper here as well as the option to opt into paid ones). Kids that go to middle school, not high school etc.

I want subject homework and doing it raises skills in those subjects. Maybe even a tie in to uni scholarships (get an A in Math you can get a math based scholarship or something)

Really love your ideas! One little thought I had, though was that pre teen babysitting should not only be for younger siblings. I had six babysitting jobs/week when I was 11! Maybe parents of kids that they know could call them up and ask for babysitting and the pre teen could accept or decline. Rate could be like $7/per hour.

Really love your ideas! One little thought I had, though was that pre teen babysitting should not only be for younger siblings. I had six babysitting jobs/week when I was 11! Maybe parents of kids that they know could call them up and ask for babysitting and the pre teen could accept or decline. Rate could be like $7/per hour.

I did too, well age 12 anyways! (I'm 37 now, always loved kids!) but from what I've heard from parents nowadays, they don't seem to want anyone under 16 babysitting, and even that many are saying is too young now! So I wasn't sure if that would be realistic nowadays. Maybe it's just my area though? Here, people also pay babysitters $15/hour/kid (some get away with $10 but then I hear the kids that babysit for them whine and complain about how cheap they were being) which is way out of my budget.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I was actually homeschooled but it's always been by dream to go to highschool :(
    So I have no ideas to add but I reallllllly realllllllly hope they add highschool and more teen focused gameplay!!!!!🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member

I did too, well age 12 anyways! (I'm 37 now, always loved kids!) but from what I've heard from parents nowadays, they don't seem to want anyone under 16 babysitting, and even that many are saying is too young now! So I wasn't sure if that would be realistic nowadays. Maybe it's just my area though? Here, people also pay babysitters $15/hour/kid (some get away with $10 but then I hear the kids that babysit for them whine and complain about how cheap they were being) which is way out of my budget.

Wow... In some states here, it's technically illegal to leave a child under 16 unattended.
    In general it's the parents responsibility if something goes wrong, if the children are not in the care of an adult.
    As a result, baby sitters are usually older teens, in upper secondary school, or young adults in tertiary education.

Though, some people do take risks, and leave younger children in the care of their older children, though it would be very unusual for the older child to not be at least a teen.

Aussie babysitters usually get paid about $20 per hour, if they're untrained, and about $28+ per hour if they have qualifications, but a good babysitter can cost up to $40 per hour.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif

OK, yes. I guess I should clarify that I was doing mother's helper at that age (which was only a couple of years ago). The parents were there, just working in another room or having some off time. I got paid $4 an hour for this when I was ten, then by the time I was thirteen I was getting $10/hour. The lower rates were because I was younger and less experienced. They were also (mostly) families that I already knew in some way or another (I volunteered to read to kids at the local daycare at that time, too, so that gave me lots of connections). That's why I said babysitting for a pre-teen life stage should be only for families they already know. Now I realize that maybe it should actually be mother's helper...
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    How about a High School like in Grease, The Breakfast Club, Pretty In Pink, Smallville, X-Men, Harry Potter, Legacy &
    Sabrina The Teenage Witch?
    Kinda got a little carried away with my fave themes. Lol 🤗
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    As an Australian, whose high school experience (multiple buildings, outdoor paths, uniforms) was totally different to the American HS experience I see on TV (one building, no uniforms), I'm actually fully on board with an American high school in The Sims.

Not just bc it'd allow me to recreate things from TV, but there's also never been an indoor world. The build possibilities are intriguing.
    wJbomAo.png
    kwanzaabot wrote: »
    As an Australian, whose high school experience (multiple buildings, outdoor paths, uniforms) was totally different to the American HS experience I see on TV (one building, no uniforms), I'm actually fully on board with an American high school in The Sims.

Not just bc it'd allow me to recreate things from TV, but there's also never been an indoor world. The build possibilities are intriguing.

As an Australian, I want the option to be able to create an Aussie style school.
    A school themed pack would be the perfect place to be including many player controlled options
    Movotti wrote: »

As an Australian, I want the option to be able to create an Aussie style school.
    A school themed pack would be the perfect place to be including many player controlled options

I see no reason both couldn't work together. You could build the highschool however you want it. If you wanted uniforms, they could be added with a feature like the one for employees in GTW. I, personally, would like to build a large outdoorsy highschool, and I hope they wouldn't confine the options too much.

I see no reason both couldn't work together. You could build the highschool however you want it. If you wanted uniforms, they could be added with a feature like the one for employees in GTW. I, personally, would like to build a large outdoorsy highschool, and I hope they wouldn't confine the options too much.

That's exactly my point. We need it structured so we have many options, for many variations.
    • Let us choose between several uniform options, or causal dress, or non-uniform dress code.
    • Let us choose the style of the school dance, let us choose the dress code, the venue, and they style of the event. Does it include a sit-down dinner, and awards ceremony, a punch bowl that could be spiked, a buffet with finger food, a bar? Choose where the music comes from, is it a band, or a dj, or a jukebox, or just a stereo?
    • Let us choose where and how the students have lunch, is there a cafeteria, or a tuck-shop, or byo?
    • Let us choose the extra curricular activities the school offers
    • Let us choose the types of excursions available
    edited May 2020

Wow... In some states here, it's technically illegal to leave a child under 16 unattended.
    In general it's the parents responsibility if something goes wrong, if the children are not in the care of an adult.
    As a result, baby sitters are usually older teens, in upper secondary school, or young adults in tertiary education.

Though, some people do take risks, and leave younger children in the care of their older children, though it would be very unusual for the older child to not be at least a teen.

Aussie babysitters usually get paid about $20 per hour, if they're untrained, and about $28+ per hour if they have qualifications, but a good babysitter can cost up to $40 per hour.

Under 16 illegal? Really?! I'm in Canada and if you aren't looking after younger kids, just home alone, age 10+ is generally considered okay (as ruled by our Supreme Court a couple years ago, as their was no minimum legal age technicallly)

But yeah,I never did the mother's helper thing, I babysat kids age 6 months - 8 years from age when I was 12 almost daily until I graduated high school! (And then watched kids that were about 10 years old when I was 14+) (And then I also babysat one girl who was technically older than me but was mentally disabled so her mind set was of a 7/8 year old, I started staying with her when I was probably 13, but the parents would just be gone for a couple hours in the evenings and we'd just watch tv together and I'd get us a snack type thing and another girl that was had cerebral palsy quite severely who was 11 but I was probably 15 or 16 by then and again, just for short time periods)
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    I was actually homeschooled but it's always been by dream to go to highschool :(
    So I have no ideas to add but I reallllllly realllllllly hope they add highschool and more teen focused gameplay!!!!!🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

I never make my Sim kids and teens go to school. My experience with it was that most of my actual education was despite school rather than because of it. I also have some experience with homeschooling/unschooling and I know it's as different for different people as public school is. Different approaches, different lifestyles and environments and opportunities. I also went to a lot of different schools and there's a huge difference in those as well. There's no one-size-fits-all best approach for everyone. :)

What my Sim kids do instead of being in a school, is they pursue their interests, work on their aspirations and goals, get in a lot of play and social interaction, do some studying and reading and hands-on learning, and then have plenty of time to eat, bathe, spend quality time with family and friends, and sleep.

But everyone has their path, their likes, nothing wrong with yours or anyone else's, wasn't throwing shade. Part of the goodness of this game is getting to live one's best life, one's dream. Or do wild and extreme things we'd never do in real life.

At the end of the day, though, "Aw, darn, vacation time? I'm gonna cry cuz I won't be at school" said no school student, ever. :D
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg

I never make my Sim kids and teens go to school. My experience with it was that most of my actual education was despite school rather than because of it. I also have some experience with homeschooling/unschooling and I know it's as different for different people as public school is. Different approaches, different lifestyles and environments and opportunities. I also went to a lot of different schools and there's a huge difference in those as well. There's no one-size-fits-all best approach for everyone. :)

What my Sim kids do instead of being in a school, is they pursue their interests, work on their aspirations and goals, get in a lot of play and social interaction, do some studying and reading and hands-on learning, and then have plenty of time to eat, bathe, spend quality time with family and friends, and sleep.

But everyone has their path, their likes, nothing wrong with yours or anyone else's, wasn't throwing shade. Part of the goodness of this game is getting to live one's best life, one's dream. Or do wild and extreme things we'd never do in real life.

At the end of the day, though, "Aw, darn, vacation time? I'm gonna cry cuz I won't be at school" said no school student, ever. :D

I homeschool my kid irl and some of my sims kids but that's just by keeping them home on vacation time as much as possible. I really wish it was a real option. Or kids could take online learning classes. There's mods of course, but I would love it to be in the game.

Under 16 illegal? Really?! I'm in Canada and if you aren't looking after younger kids, just home alone, age 10+ is generally considered okay (as ruled by our Supreme Court a couple years ago, as their was no minimum legal age technicallly)

But yeah,I never did the mother's helper thing, I babysat kids age 6 months - 8 years from age when I was 12 almost daily until I graduated high school! (And then watched kids that were about 10 years old when I was 14+) (And then I also babysat one girl who was technically older than me but was mentally disabled so her mind set was of a 7/8 year old, I started staying with her when I was probably 13, but the parents would just be gone for a couple hours in the evenings and we'd just watch tv together and I'd get us a snack type thing and another girl that was had cerebral palsy quite severely who was 11 but I was probably 15 or 16 by then and again, just for short time periods)

Yeah I'm from Canada too, maybe we've just got really lax rules when it comes to childcare. (I took a one day babysitting course when I was 10 and have been babysitting ever since...)

Yeah I was Unschooled, then went to school for a bit, and then left again. There are so many different life choices to make concerning school. I actually loved the social aspect of school, but I hated the feeling that I was constantly wasting my time. I wanted to be at home writing a novel, playing my guitar, or playing in my yard. When I joined school I was academically ahead of the other students (not that that matters), and now, after five years of school, I'm falling behind.

I feel the same way about sims kids. They go to school with barely time to eat, sleep, and maybe get their homework done in between before they have to leave again. I always say that the sims should have playable school because then at least their time at school wouldn't be absolutely pointless, but what I really want is more options, all playable. Kids/teens should be able to go to public school, private school, alternative/homelearning groups, or just completely drop out and unschool. Of course, the best would be if you could just custom make your own schools for each world. Even if I like Unschooling, I might want my sims to be in a world where they go to a fancy boarding school. I just wish I didn't need mods to have unschooled kids in the sims, and I wish there were more non-school activities that were available for kids in the game.