Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

why I don't like sims 2 as much as3 and 4

Comments

• ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    my idea of a good hard mode in the sims would be one where events would happen all the time like being abducted being robbed eating poison beans illness sims cheating on each other compared to those things keeping the needs up just isn't as fun @Dijktafone @Magnezone

I totally agree with this. TS2 was too statistics heavy and made you focus too much on checking all sorts of meters. In that respect, TS2 was too overly detailed. I like that in TS3, that the focus was removed from that, from looking at meters. It focused on what your sims were doing and the events that happened around the town and the gameplay involved with all that. It was totally immersive and fit its open world system seamlessly.

• comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited April 2020
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Just clearing up some misinformation here about TS2 Sims. They do not age faster if you don't fill their wants or aspirations. They age at 6:00 P.M each day. But unlike TS4 there is a Help menu if Simmers want to cheat (thank you Maxis for making almost everything you could do available to players) aging off for a particular Sim and aging off for the entire lot. Mods created years ago (if that isn't easy enough) adds a long life of 38 days before aging to elder etc. Sims need coffee in TS2, it works. They also don't get as tired if not overly (more than five points) active, do anything like work out or play soccer or whatever. Beds matter in the game, 10 point bed works better than a 2 point or 3 point bed..and last longer especially if they do very little to zap energy and or don't have an active 5+ personality points.

I think sims 2 had the best npcs @Cinebar I mean they were so good people who never played the game want them back
    thanks for the tips :) oh also sims 2 gets points for having more drama its the only one where pregnant sims can die
    and teens can run away
    Post edited by comicsforlife on
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • SimsAddict_244SimsAddict_244 Posts: 274 Member
    edited April 2020
    While S2 was a great game with a lot of details that I loved compared to the other Sims games, there were things that really frustrated me because the game wouldn't allow me to do it. I couldn't really do messed up family dynamics with the social workers automatically taking kids away, too low grades automatically sending them to the military, teens automatically running away when relationships with both parents are too low, all sims reacting the same way when it comes to jealousy, somehow knowing their partners are sleeping with another when they are in the same lot. Another issue I have is the way skills are handled (a creative sim who plays piano will also be an excellent painter despite never painting in his/her life). Otherwise I actually like the difficulty when a sim is pregnant with twins/triplets, challenging but fun.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited April 2020
    Just clearing up some misinformation here about TS2 Sims. They do not age faster if you don't fill their wants or aspirations. They age at 6:00 P.M each day. But unlike TS4 there is a Help menu if Simmers want to cheat (thank you Maxis for making almost everything you could do available to players) aging off for a particular Sim and aging off for the entire lot. Mods created years ago (if that isn't easy enough) adds a long life of 38 days before aging to elder etc. Sims need coffee in TS2, it works. They also don't get as tired if not overly (more than five points) active, do anything like work out or play soccer or whatever. Beds matter in the game, 10 point bed works better than a 2 point or 3 point bed..and last longer especially if they do very little to zap energy and or don't have an active 5+ personality points.

I think sims 2 had the best npcs @Cinebar bar I mean they were so good people who never played the game want them back
    thanks for the tips :) oh also sims 2 gets points for having more drama its the only one where pregnant sims can die
    and teens can run away

It's also the only game a parent will refuse a kid from talking to baby while inside the mother, if mom isn't on good terms or have relationship points high enough with child. I don't know if TS3 Sims will refuse if they don't like one of their children but they do in TS2. I can't remember that in TS3.
    I still love TS2 which I guess is obvivous. :D I felt TS3 and TS4 were a bit too easy for me, I knew how to make a Sim happy and TS4 just takes it way down easy street too far. I do miss the comfort bar, and I really, really am tired of tense being the go to mood/emotion for everything about TS4. TS3 is harder than TS4 but it's still a buff system and I prefer a non buff system like TS1 and TS2.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    S4 toddlers are by far the best in the series. My only real gripe with them is that they already know how to walk which removes some difficulty to the game. S4's major flaw to me is that it focuses so much on emotions that they override the sims personalities which bothers me a lot because it makes it harder to differentiate the sims since they just have to be in the "right" mood to fulfill a want.
    edited April 2020

I think sims 2 had the best npcs @Cinebar bar I mean they were so good people who never played the game want them back
    and teens can run away

It's also the only game a parent will refuse a kid from talking to baby while inside the mother, if mom isn't on good terms or have relationship points high enough with child. I don't know if TS3 Sims will refuse if they don't like one of their children but they do in TS2. I can't remember that in TS3.
    I still love TS2 which I guess is obvivous. :D I felt TS3 and TS4 were a bit too easy for me, I knew how to make a Sim happy and TS4 just takes it way down easy street too far. I do miss the comfort bar, and I really, really am tired of tense being the go to mood/emotion for everything about TS4. TS3 is harder than TS4 but it's still a buff system and I prefer a non buff system like TS1 and TS2.

I wouldn't mind the comfort bar returning in sims 5 it gives you a reason to make there house really nice
    however I don't want it to make my sim where he wont do things when they need to
    oh also my pregnant sim in sims 4 was mad at my other sim and pushed them away when they went to feel there belly I don't know what they
    were angry about though @cinebar
    While S2 was a great game with a lot of details that I loved compared to the other Sims games, there were things that really frustrated me because the game wouldn't allow me to do it. I couldn't really do messed up family dynamics with the social workers automatically taking kids away, too low grades automatically sending them to the military, teens automatically running away when relationships with both parents are too low, all sims reacting the same way when it comes to jealousy, somehow knowing their partners are sleeping with another when they are in the same lot. Another issue I have is the way skills are handled (a creative sim who plays piano will also be an excellent painter despite never painting in his/her life). Otherwise I actually like the difficulty when a sim is pregnant with twins/triplets, challenging but fun.

yes I'm glad they made the skills all different in 3 and 4 and I hope they do so in five as well @SimsAddict_244
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    The Sims original I loved as I didn't know anything like that before. I went on a killing spree for a while and loved Makin' magic'

I enjoyed the gameplay most in Sims 2 over any of the others. Buying a business and running it was the best thing. Witches and their cats arriving at nightclubs and restaurants and great fights.

I bought everything for Sims 3 but it annoyed me by crashing and making my hard drive unusuable and refusing to recognise my Store buys and I hated the Sims themselves. I loved the worlds and the colour wheel but spent all my time using it rather than playing the Sims themselves. It cost me the most in buying new PCs and laptops all for nothing. It had to be played with mods.

I enjoy Sims 4 because I can fill it easily with my premade Sims and love building in it but I find I build rather than play it. It runs beautifully and never crashes because I now can afford a gaming laptop. Families grow and die whilst I play, without my control, and noxious neighbours move in and have to be evicted and replaced in Create mode. Just like life.

I doubt if I'll buy a Sims 5 unless it combines the best of all of the above. <3

and teens can run away

I wouldn't mind the comfort bar returning in sims 5 it gives you a reason to make there house really nice
    however I don't want it to make my sim where he wont do things when they need to
    oh also my pregnant sim in sims 4 was mad at my other sim and pushed them away when they went to feel there belly I don't know what they
    were angry about though @cinebar

Would be nice if TS4 had a similar memory system but I know many thought it slowed down TS2 and maybe it does but I really love a memory system.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    I love the memory system in 2 I don't care what anyone says the one we have in 4 is not a memory system
    and the one in 3 wasn't as good but its still better then what we have now @Cinebar
  • Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    there's lots of things I like about sims 2 the wants and fears and memories which I would love to be put in other sims games as well as the fact that
    they can die of illness the things that I don't like are the fact that its so hard to keep there needs up
    and the fact that they age faster if you don't fulfill there wants
    if my sims starve I want it to be because they could not afford food I don't want it to be because they fill asleep in there dinner or because
    they cant be bothered to go to the fridge

What do you mean by "whims"? Anything in particular?
    there's lots of things I like about sims 2 the wants and fears and memories which I would love to be put in other sims games as well as the fact that
    they can die of illness the things that I don't like are the fact that its so hard to keep there needs up
    and the fact that they age faster if you don't fulfill there wants
    if my sims starve I want it to be because they could not afford food I don't want it to be because they fill asleep in there dinner or because
    they cant be bothered to go to the fridge

What do you mean by "whims"? Anything in particular?

well wants whims or wishes are things that have been in all the main sims games
    there off by default in 4 now but you turn them on in the options they aren't making any new ones in the game right now so I was hoping if we
    all asked about them the gurus would start making them again I really like wants whims and wishes in the sims games @Simsister2004
    and I really hope there in sims 5
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member

and teens can run away

I'm big on family so I've never had parents NOT get along with their children and vice versa in TS3. So I wouldn't know ever if a parent who doesn't get along with their kid would refuse him/her to talk to the baby in the tummy! I don't think I even want to test that out.... :#

and teens can run away

I'm big on family so I've never had parents NOT get along with their children and vice versa in TS3. So I wouldn't know ever if a parent who doesn't get along with their kid would refuse him/her to talk to the baby in the tummy! I don't think I even want to test that out.... :#

I might at some point I like drama
  • OugonmusouOugonmusou Posts: 33 Member
    Well I'm obviously a huge fan of the Sims 2 but it's largely due to the rich backstories the premades themselves have especially the first three basegame neighborhood Pleasantview, Strangetown and Veronaville. As a child reading through their memories, I was so shocked to learn that this game that is considered safe for me had a potential serial killer, abduction and torture of sims. It got me hooked and I dug deeper and deeper into each premades' backstories which made them grow on me as a result. I would've liked the Sims 3 and 4 much better if there were more interconnected stories personally. That's what I feel about the later games where they lacked that charm of getting me to do some detective work. The only town in the Sims 3 that ever came close was Twinbrook but even then it feels like its missing something that the Sims 2 backstories had.
    I am just a simple Sims 2 lore addict
    Twinbrook turned out to be my favorite premaid town/world in TS3. I had a lot fun times in that world with my 'Swamp' Sims out in the bayou. :D It was gritty, swampy, and believable. TS4's counter part world seems so neat, and clean and shiny and bright to me. I don't hear frogs in my yards, or worry there might be a gator over in that patch of neat, trimmed grass. :p Yeah, Twinbrook is the best to play the bayou.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    Back in 2011, when my daughter accidentally discovered Sims 3 neither one of us ever heard of Sims 2. So, we only had experience with playing Sims 3 & 4.
  • BohoFlowerBohoFlower Posts: 143 Member
    edited May 2020
    The Sims 2s Needs were fine and you had Aspiration Perks to slow them down further too, you had to use Free Will to get them to do things and honestly i think it has the best Free Will settings because they mostly did things to fill their Needs including going to the fridge when they got too hungry you just needed to make sure they showered, went to the toilet, didn't stuff their face, cleaned and went to bed i generally left them to their own devices quite a lot LOL.

For Hygiene and Bladder the best thing to do in The Sims 2 and over is when their Bladder gets half empty make them go to the toilet, check to see if the toilet and shower needs cleaning then make them shower it takes a lot less time believe me :P going to the toilet lowers their hygiene anyway so it means you can get rid of Sinks in the bathroom doing it this way, i feel like i added SO many unnecessary sinks in every Bathroom that now when i get playing TS4 i don't want to add any Haha! :D in The Sims 2 taking a shower or bath on a mostly low Hygiene Bar took about 1 hour sim hour or over that until it was full but if you have Seasons then they overheated keeping them in THAT long it got me worried the few times it happened LOL but in general even if you don't have Seasons in future games this method works really well and frees up some time for your Sims.

Finally you can turn off aging i always did this and you can in TS3 and 4 too which is recommended for a while especially with how long it takes you to do the things you want to do with them, i would let them age half way into their Life Cycle, turn off aging, do what you want to do with them, turn it back on and let them age to the next Life Stage then turn it off again, i admit i let my Sims live too long LOL so that is what i'm going to do in TS4.
  • SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited May 2020
    Sims 2 is less enjoyable if you are an open carreer player as I am. :'( For the rest is it far superior to the sims 4.
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
    Well to each their own I was just sharing my thoughts Sims 4 is my favorite personally with Sims 3 being my second favorite and Sims 2 being my third
    edited May 2020
    When it comes to occult gameplay, S3 and S4 did much better on that front because in S2 they're kinda just there. Why did they add witches with apartments? However, it was way easier to ignore them and I didn't fear for everyone else in my world becoming an occult without my permission after triggering it. Other things S3 and 4 did much better is in the aging system and the opt-in/out feature (now I just want a more developed feature to determine what I want for townies and NPCs without having to use mods, or at least a feature to control townies my sims already met) .
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    But 2 does give a new occult with each major pack, more than 4 can say. Plant sims are real plant sims, not regular ones that are green. Depth of sim characterization is unmatched - 4's being a pathetic joke. Don't forget that in any version comparisons there are gaps of several years between each one, years for technology & capability to improve. So an added factor to consider is whether a given version takes full advantage of the technology available to it.
    I thought of another reason why I prefer Sims 4 and 3 over 2 you can't really pick your aspirations into you can pick family or popularity or category but it's kind of random what you end up with like if you pick a family aspiration your Sims could want to have 7 kittens if I'm doing a family aspiration I don't want it to be about kittens and I'm glad the other games give us the options to 2 not do that
    edited June 2020
    I thought of another reason why I prefer Sims 4 and 3 over 2 you can't really pick your aspirations into you can pick family or popularity or category but it's kind of random what you end up with like if you pick a family aspiration your Sims could want to have 7 kittens if I'm doing a family aspiration I don't want it to be about kittens and I'm glad the other games give us the options to 2 not do that

But if someone in that household goes into University and gets the career reward then anyone at home can use that machine to change the LTW. What is good about TS2 is all Sims can use career rewards and or LT rewards unlike TS4. Also, it's simple to change the LTW of a Sim in TS2 because of those devs made all cheats available to the player, unlike TS4 which actually takes away some cheats sometimes and tells us we are too silly to understand what they do. That's only one reason I like TS2 better. I can do anything because the developer decided at base I am god and not them. TS4 to me is the developer's game. TS2 is mine, change it any way I want. And I will add, at least my TS2 Sims know when they completed a LTW and get permaplat forever, and not just a task list to do like in TS4 when I'm bored with a career and switch the LTW/Aspiration. TS4 just goes through the motions in that respect. ETA: Even the gameplay of a LTW is better because if it's a career the boss is hard to impress, which isn't seen much in the game anymore, but before all the later packs Sims would get a call to take out the boss on a community lot, and have to impress them. That is added depth which TS4 doesn't contain. Not a rabbit hole nor just a message on the screen but had to go and be with the boss. I guess people forget stuff. :) Some might not have played that I guess if they got a bunch of packs at once, later.

But if someone in that household goes into University and gets the career reward then anyone at home can use that machine to change the LTW. What is good about TS2 is all Sims can use career rewards and or LT rewards unlike TS4. Also, it's simple to change the LTW of a Sim in TS2 because of those devs made all cheats available to the player, unlike TS4 which actually takes away some cheats sometimes and tells us we are too silly to understand what they do. That's only one reason I like TS2 better. I can do anything because the developer decided at base I am god and not them. TS4 to me is the developer's game. TS2 is mine, change it any way I want. And I will add, at least my TS2 Sims know when they completed a LTW and get permaplat forever, and not just a task list to do like in TS4 when I'm bored with a career and switch the LTW/Aspiration. TS4 just goes through the motions in that respect. ETA: Even the gameplay of a LTW is better because if it's a career the boss is hard to impress, which isn't seen much in the game anymore, but before all the later packs Sims would get a call to take out the boss on a community lot, and have to impress them. That is added depth which TS4 doesn't contain. Not a rabbit hole nor a just a message on the screen but had to go and be with the boss. I guess people forget stuff. :)

thats really cool about the boss they should add that to sims 4 or sims 5 I still want the chance to pick ltw right away though
    I do think they should add more reward objects and I also want the headmaster back @Cinebar