Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Requesting help/advice about Gaming Laptops for The Sims 3 (with all additional content!)

miklcmiklc Posts: 3,110 Member
Hi there,

I am wondering if there are any kind people out there that can offer me some advice?

I am on the lookout to invest in a gaming laptop largely so that I can actually play The Sims 3 with all my content, without lagging etc. having recently returned to the game from a long hiatus (I currently own a 15" 2011 MacBook Pro - which as you can appreciate, just doesn't cut it!).

I appreciate this is probably an age-old question, but in 2020 what models would you recommend that would enable me to play this game to the best of it's ability?

-I have all 11EPs and all 9SPs and want to play with them all installed
-I own the majority of the TS3 Store content, which again, I want all installed
-I will be using Mods (namely Nraas but possibly some others)
-I will likely play with some CC (including some custom worlds)
-I want to be able to play the game with all graphic setting set to high/ultra-high

Budget wise I am thinking something in the region of £600-£750, what do people think - is it feasible to find something decent at this price?

I would be using the laptop for streaming and general browsing also (and possibly The Sims 4 if I decide to venture into that game at some point in the future - The Sims is the only game I play)

Any advice/help from those more technically minded than I am would be greatly appreciated !!

Comments

• Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited May 2020
    For £750, you could get a laptop that should run Sims 3, all packs included, on ultra graphics settings. An Nvidia 1650 is fast enough to handle ultra settings with some room to spare, and laptops with a 1650 come with strong enough processors and at least 8 GB memory. Sims 4 has similar requirements for ultra settings right now, although it's not clear how demanding future packs will be, or even how long EA will keep making content for the game. Still, any laptop that will run Sims 3 on ultra should always be able to run Sims 4 on at least high settings even with those future packs taken into account.

Right now, and for the past month or so, the selection in entry-level gaming laptops hasn't been great in the U.K., probably because of all the people stuck at home. But there are still a few good options around. The best one I saw in your price range is this Asus, for £750. It has a 1650 and a 512 GB solid state drive, more than enough room for Sims 3, Sims 4, all your saves, plus as much custom content as you could download.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7318984

The only similar one I saw for under £800 was this one (£780), with an equivalent processor and otherwise the same specs:

https://www.box.co.uk/ASUS-TUF-FX505GT-BQ023T_2892709.html

If you want to save some money, this Acer is £650 and has the same specs as the others, except for a much smaller hard drive. 256 GB is enough for Sims 3, as long as you don't go overboard on backup saves or are willing to store the ones you're not using on an external hard drive. Installing Sims 4 as well would be cutting it close, but it's manageable.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/acer-nitro-5-an515-54-15-6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i5-gtx-1650-256-gb-ssd-10205925-pdt.html

You could also add a second hard drive to this laptop yourself, or have a shop do it. Any 2.5" drive, SSD or HDD, should be fine. Acer provides instructions for this model laptop here, if you want to see what it would be like:

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/63012/~/hard-drive-installation-instructions-for-the-acer-nitro-an515-54

You could add, for example, a 1 TB mechanical drive (HDD) for around £40, or a 500 GB SATA SSD for around £55.

If you have more questions, please feel free to ask.
  • Options
    miklcmiklc Posts: 3,110 Member
    Wow @puzzlezaddict thank you for such a detailed response, I really appreciate it!

This is a big help for me, given that it's such an expensive purchase I want to be absolutely sure it will play the game without hassle.

I am tempted by the first one I have to say - I guess I don't mind saving a little longer and spending a bit more as I plan on having it for many years.

I'm excited at the thought of actually being able to play my game properly.....on my MacBook (Windows partition) it literally takes about 15 mins to load up!!