The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you approach The Sims as a game?

2...Next

Comments

• ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member

1. I normally play in 1-2 hour bursts and don't play longer than 3 hours a day. Although on the rare occasion I would probably play for a long time if its a new expansion I love. I'm also the type of player who doesn't touch the Sims for months then dives back into the game and play it every day for a couple of weeks.

2. I use bits and pieces from every pack. It depends on what story I want to tell and what I get a feel for. However with game packs I usually dive in and focus on that - Strangerville and ROM for example. There are lots of things from packs that I cannot live without, however.

3. Just the ones that appeal to me. I still have no intention of buying the majority of stuff packs as they don't appeal to me. Others I might wait until a sale or bundle, like with Strangerville for example.

4. Yes it should be forever. I still haven't explored everything in my game yet and with all this new stuff rolling out its hard to keep up. :D Plus it's a sandbox game, there are lots of story variations - we just need to think them up first.
    giphy.gif
  • capturethemagiccapturethemagic Posts: 249 Member
    edited May 2020
    1. I play it kind of like 'pick it up, put it down' like you said. One time, I might play it for 2 months straight and the next don't want to touch it.

2. I just go with it, downloaded that new park off the gallery with a rollerskating rink? Let's test it! I like finding new features and completely exploiting them, whether for money reasons or my own entertainment.

3. I buy just the packs I think 'Wow! That sounds so cool!' instead of blowing all my money on stuff I won't use.

4. Hopefully it will last forever. We've just got to use our imagination.
    c22f90da185c99d211adfff586bffe45.png
  • GoddessofShadeGoddessofShade Posts: 1 New Member
    Sorry to ask this here. But for some reason i had to make a new profile on here and now I can not make a thread, and it is annoying.
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    1. What kind of session do you feel like this game should have? Should it be a “1-2 hour burst” kinda game, a “long 4+ hour” session type, or the “pick it up, put it down” type?

I play as long as I feel like at the time, anywhere from 20 mins to 5+ hours. Sims has never been the type of game to just pick up for a couple minutes, to me that's more for solitaire/mahjong mobile games.

2. How do you use your content? Do you try to use every system from every pack all at once? Do you prefer to have individually tailored experiences/stories?

I pretty much use content from every pack, but not in every household, and not all at once. In any given pack, I can like the gameplay, but not BB/CAS so much. In other packs its the other way around. Its all about what my current sims are doing, what skills they're working on, is it a single sim or a family, do they have kids. Where they live will also have a say in what content I'm using.

3. Do you think it’s better to own ALL of the packs or just the ones that appeal to you? This one is big, because I feel like it’s what generates some of the more controversial opinions about the packs we get.

For the first time since I started playing TS1 in 2001, I'm all caught up with packs (I do have everything for TS1+2+3 now, but not when it was current). And I intend to let it stay that way. I never expect them to release anything, I don't pay attention to what is posted on Twitter/Tumblr/other fansites. I like to be kept in the dark, and be pleasantly surprised by the next reveal. I'll take what they give me, and I've not been disappointed yet. Bugs and minor annoyances aside....And: I'm still waiting for fairies, Maxis! Take your time, make them good! No pressure!

4. What kind of duration of play do you expect out of a The Sims game? Should it be a game you can play “forever”? Or do you only expect maybe a good 40-100 hours of play per pack you have installed?

I still play TS1 from time to time, so I'd say its a "forever" game, absolutely. Getting close to 4000 hours on TS4 since uhhh....May 2017...? I believe...? Yeah, 3 years, had to check. The 3 previous versions? Countless hours. Absolutely countless. Oh and 462 hours in TS Medieval as well.

I don't see me quitting this franchise any time soon.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    When I'm building or in CAS, I like to use something from every pack and feel bad if I don't. I hardly ever use base-game material. This is now getting both easier and harder.

I play about four hours at a time.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • capturethemagiccapturethemagic Posts: 249 Member
    Sorry to ask this here. But for some reason i had to make a new profile on here and now I can not make a thread, and it is annoying.

Hey, yeah it is annoying. You have to become a proper member again to make threads and use bb code.
    Please delete this when your done.
    c22f90da185c99d211adfff586bffe45.png
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    Simtown15 wrote: »
    @SimsLovinLycan I only own Vampires because I lost a bet. :/

@Simtown15 That's why you shouldn't gamble... B)
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    1. What kind of session do you feel like this game should have? Should it be a “1-2 hour burst” kinda game, a “long 4+ hour” session type, or the “pick it up, put it down” type?

I play for hours. (almost 4500 hours played) If I don't have at least two hours to play I opt for something else. On weekends I can do a 32 hour play session. I usually play at least 4 hours a day unless I am on overtime at work or have a family function to attend.

2. How do you use your content? Do you try to use every system from every pack all at once? Do you prefer to have individually tailored experiences/stories?

I tailor my game play to tell a story.

3. Do you think it’s better to own ALL of the packs or just the ones that appeal to you? This one is big, because I feel like it’s what generates some of the more controversial opinions about the packs we get.

I gave up $5 coffee drinks and eating out to be able to afford everything (including a new computer) because I want every pack. My kids are grown and my budget allows me to buy packs as they come out. No it's not necessary to own every pack but I want to own every pack. I have no regrets.

4. What kind of duration of play do you expect out of a The Sims game? Should it be a game you can play “forever”? Or do you only expect maybe a good 40-100 hours of play per pack you have installed?

It should be a game I can play forever just like other games. I still have 2 other computers. One still has the Sims 1 on it with all my cc and mods. The other computer has everything from The Sims 2 and 3 with a little bit of The Sims 4 on it. This computer is where I play The Sims 4 now but my new computer is being built. That's 4 computers in 20 years. My son fired up the oldest computer and played The Sims 1 last Thanksgiving. He has saves from when he was a kid. The game still works.
  • DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    I usually play in 1-3 hour blocks of time. After work on weekdays to unwind, usually. On a lazy weekend day I might do two sessions in the same day, but it's rare that I can sit still for more than 2-3 hours.

Depends on the save. Currently I am playing a rotational save and I have assigned different pack themes to different households so I get variety when I switch. But I do mix up some of the content; for example I combine the social media internet personality career from CL with the video station and drone from GF in my Del Sol Valley household. But I don't try to do everything with every household.

I get the packs that work with what I'm playing at the time, unless I'm ready to start a new save. I bought Strangerville as soon as the sim I had named after Gillian Anderson was ready to age up to YA, for example, and I want Eco Lifestyle ASAP because it makes sense for my recently divorced sim to move into the new town for a new start and become an activist. Currently I haven't bought DU because it's not very rotational-play friendly (at least the way I rotate), but I have ideas for how to use it with my original save that I plan to go back to someday. So I will wait and buy it when I am ready to go back to that save.

I prefer to get as many hours of entertainment per dollar as possible, which is why I prefer open-ended games like the Sims or replayable rpg or strategy games like Dragon Age and Civilization.
  • Erja888Erja888 Posts: 4,838 Member
    When I play the game it is at least for two hours. If I don't have the time I play/do something else. But there are also times when I don't touch the game for a month.

I use CAS and B/B from various packs for one family/Sim/bunch of friends living together. I also use different careers in one household.

I never understood completionists. Why should I buy something I will never use?! I owned every pack for The Sims, but after that I became picky. For The Sims 2 I owned all EPs, but not all SPs (Family Fun and IKEA never interested me). For The Sims 3 I owned a LOT of Store content, but I didn't buy "Into the future" (EP) and "70s, 80s, 90s" (SP). You can see the packs I own for TS4 in my signature (currently one GP and several SPs are not in that collection).

Not "forever", but for a very long time... ;)
    I'd love to see a singing career in game, EA! You can't let the singing skill go to waste! My TS4 EPs: GTW, GT, CL, C&D, S, GF, IL, DU, EL, SE, CoL, HSY, GrT, HR, FR GPs: OR, SD, DO, V, P, JA, SV, RoM, DHD, MWS