Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Crashing to Desktop for MONTHS ::(

Hi all!

For the last few months, my game has been crashing to desktop. It can range from a few hours of gameplay to fifteen minutes, but it'll suddenly crash without warning. I'm not sure what to do- I've reinstalled, deleted CC and mods that I got just before this whole issue began, contacted ea help (no help from them) and even factory reset my laptop (because of a number of reasons, not just that). I have a gaming laptop thats a few years old but normally runs the game really well, with little to no lag even in large custom worlds. I play with very minimal CC, and a few mods (sliders + nraas + hospital overhaul) and these have all worked for a long time on different laptops without any issue. I'm not sure where to go from this point, because its been months and gets very frustrating when trying to process with my households.

I'd appreciate any help I can get. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• KatNipKatNip Posts: 1,066 Member
    unknown.png

A small update, but I hopped into CAS while populating a town, and this happened. I'm unsure if it's related or not, but I've never seen it before. I didn't get a picture, but a Sim's dress turned completely blue, alongside her shoes, legs, arms and neck. This was with a dress from Island Paradise and she was wearing no CC.
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    The hospital overhaul mod was never updated for patch 1.67, or even close, and is known to corrupt saves. This doesn't always happen, or maybe sometimes the corruption is mild enough to be cleaned up with other mods, at least for a while, but the mod is definitely not compatible with a fully patched game. So it's possible that's the cause of all your crashes.

If you're wondering whether there's something else going on with your computer, you can run a dxdiag, upload it to a third-party filehosting site, and link it here. Hit Windows key-R, enter "dxdiag" without quotes, let the scan finish, click "Save all information," save the file to your desktop, and then upload it wherever you want.

There might not be anything obvious though, in which case the only way to eliminate the hospital overhaul mod as the culprit would be to start a new save without it and see whether the game crashes.

As for the screenshot, it just looks like CAS didn't load fully. It might be random, it might be due to save corruption, it might be that the game engine was overloaded at that moment... it's hard to tell without some kind of pattern.
    @puzzlezaddict Oddly enough, I've been using Hospital OH for the last few years. Still, I'll delete it and let you know if that fixes anything. Thank you!
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    KatNip wrote: »
    @puzzlezaddict Oddly enough, I've been using Hospital OH for the last few years. Still, I'll delete it and let you know if that fixes anything. Thank you!

Strange thing about that mod (both of them, there are two out there from different developers equally as outdated as each other as Patch 1.63 ruined them) is that no one rushes to our site at NRaas or the ModTheSims forum to tell us that it's working well for them. Of course why would they -- no one rushes to a help site to report that things are going just fine, so there could be hundreds or thousands of players still using these mods at least somewhat successfully. Knowing what the script code is trying to do though makes that seem at least a little unlikely and some players are just going to be more fortunate than others when dealing with mod/patch level incompatibilities like this.

We just know that we've had scads of players with broken games over the years since 1.63 was released from that mod. NRaas ErrorTrap sometimes tells us a bit more precisely where things are breaking in these cases, but neither it nor we can do anything to really fix things other than advise removing the mod because by that time the player's ongoing saves are usually too far into corruption.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    @igazor I have no idea about whats going on with the script. What does the script try to do? I'm curious.

@puzzlezaddict Thank you so much for your help! This seems to have worked; although now I have a completely new issue where my game is freezing on and off every few ingame minutes. I swear, it feels like everything's just trying to prevent me from playing, OTL
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    KatNip wrote: »
    @igazor I have no idea about whats going on with the script. What does the script try to do? I'm curious.
    I meant the programming of the hospital overhaul mods. They are Script Mods. We can't see the raw code of Script Mods unless their developers make them available as open sourced, we can only see the results once they are compiled into the form that is made available to us as players.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    Does the game freeze even when you're playing a new save in a clean user data folder? If so, please run that dxdiag and upload it somewhere for us to read. I'd love to see the Windows errors, as well as some of the other info in the report.