Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why was the Eco Lifestyle marketing so bad?

This is not me coming for the gurus... kind of. The pack looks good, really good. But I don't blame the community for getting angry when it was first announced. It'd be dumb to say that the backlash was entirely on the gurus. That fake leak definitely caused a significant amount of the community's frustration, but most of it came from the poor marketing surrounding this pack. This pack is coming with so much that the fanbase has been begging for. But instead of showing ANY of that, they put the weakest parts front and center (the bulky objects, reused animations/objects). And when everyone got upset (justifiably but taken too far), the gurus made no effort to make the pack seem more appealing. Instead, they kept emphasizing the aspects people were the most hesitant about, like the smog—no talk about the firefighters or the new billing system. No sneak peeks to how the community voting system was going to work or the new apartments. They just got defensive and wouldn't address the community's concerns. Yes, simmers sometimes act like petulant children, but the criticisms were not unwarranted this time around. I STILL believe that Tiny Living should have combined with this pack along with the conservationist career from Island Living. Instead, Maxis released three eco-friendly packs within a year of each other. That was a bad decision, and they should have known better.

I genuinely don't think the hate towards this pack was caused by people jumping the gun but by EA's poor marketing.

Comments

• nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I think the Marketing Team is just really bad at their job. And I think they wanted firefighters to be a surprise, which is why they didn't even mention the fact that they were right there at the end of the stream.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,122 Member
    Probably because they had to do the advertisement in their home.
    It's literally homemade not business made.
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    Aren’t the firefighters and the new billing in the patch? I know the generation of power and water is pack exclusive, but I thought the itemized list was in the patch.
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    Probably because firefighters and the billing system is a free update
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    I think that the main reason why the marketing for this pack was so bad is because the marketing team has no idea how to market something based around environmental issues except for to take the PSA route. Together with their lack of understanding of the product and their audience, this creative bankruptcy created a really weak, preachy, saccharine ad campaign that turned off a lot of simmers. EA's marketing team is uncreative and out of touch with both simmers and the product they're trying to sell. They either need to step up their game, or step out and let someone who knows how to handle the franchise take over.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    I loooveee the new districting and ability to create different cultures/vibes in each district! Totally going to use this in other neighborhoods, my bar crawl/beer garden district will definitely get the Always Juiced trait. Can’t wait to see what creative ones modders come up with too. 😍
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    But the firefighters and billing system are NOT part of Eco Living...it's a free patch.

BUT I do agree, their marketing is HORRIBLE.
  • akaniki0akaniki0 Posts: 470 Member
    I didn't think it was bad. I think they just hit the basics to start with, knowing the livestream would take care of the rest to build the excitement. People just got mad too quick.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I didn’t even hear anything about the leak of the farming pack. Was it that bad? People “claim” to know things all the time. I remember a while back someone said the next pack would be “Get To School” or something like that. They even made fake box art lol
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I didn’t even hear anything about the leak of the farming pack. Was it that bad? People “claim” to know things all the time. I remember a while back someone said the next pack would be “Get To School” or something like that. They even made fake box art lol

Well, the false leak claimed the next pack was going to be called "Country Living". So a lot of people assumed it would be the much anticipated Farming pack that has been highly requested and got excited. So, of course, when the pack was revealed as Eco Lifestyles, many players were disappointed.

I personally wasn't hyped either way. But I think the live stream really redeemed the pack after those awkward trailers.
    #Team Occult
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    Actually I'd say that most of the problem IS from the fake leak. Everybody got excited about farming, and then we get an Eco pack. And then some of them show their true, ugly natures and attack the devs because they don't have the decency to admit that they were duped by a photoshop.

Its times like that when we really really REALLY need to remind ourselves to ALWAYS TAKE LEAKS WITH A GRAIN OF SALT. Yeah its fun to talk about and speculate, especially when we're dying for some new info. But its pretty embarrassing to see people have a complete and utter meltdown over seeing that they werent getting what they expected, when the leak didnt even promise anything in the first place.

Dont take a leak as pure gospel, wait for something that's actually official to come along to either verify or completely annihilate it. Otherwise you're just setting yourself up for disaster.

• PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    Actually I'd say that most of the problem IS from the fake leak. Everybody got excited about farming, and then we get an Eco pack. And then some of them show their true, ugly natures and attack the devs because they don't have the decency to admit that they were duped by a photoshop.

Its times like that when we really really REALLY need to remind ourselves to ALWAYS TAKE LEAKS WITH A GRAIN OF SALT. Yeah its fun to talk about and speculate, especially when we're dying for some new info. But its pretty embarrassing to see people have a complete and utter meltdown over seeing that they werent getting what they expected, when the leak didnt even promise anything in the first place.

Dont take a leak as pure gospel, wait for something that's actually official to come along to either verify or completely annihilate it. Otherwise you're just setting yourself up for disaster.

I really hope the fake leak drove this point home for people.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited May 2020
    Marketing is a different team than the Guru team that works on the game so I think it is poor communication between both teams. Honestly haven't been impressed by most of the trailers during this iteration. Pretty much trailers and what packs actually offer doesn't generally mesh together. Why I am more entertained by LGR reviews.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    edited May 2020
    I don't think it's the marketing. For the most part the packs are usually met with some criticism. Some packs just get more outrage than others and sometimes deservingly so. I suspect the newer titles will be met with skepticism as well since it's unknown gameplay, unlike the packs with pets, seasons and university that people were more happier hearing about.
  • MrSunshineMrSunshine Posts: 99 Member
    It is not the marketing's fault. They communicate the pack adequately.

The problem is in the fans who always act high and nasty
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I think it came together to create more negativity that usual. It's not just about marketing. There is always a segment of the simming population that jump on how bad it is no matter what and they stir up the negative response from some simmers that basically like Sims 4 but have real issues with the game. Many are still hating on the pack or have gone quiet for the moment.. don't worry they will be back. Then we have a pack idea that has never been done on this scale .. so some won't accept that. Then the fake leak that get's some simmers hopes up for an idea that many want (me included), glad I didn't see the fake leak and believe it.
    It's not just about marketing as I said. I think some simmers too are kind of eating crow and want something to blame. Trailers never give away everything that's in the pack some are just big teasers.
    egTcBMc.png
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    edited May 2020
    Personally speaking, I'm very much afraid that the Marketing Team suffers from living inside their own bubble. They appear to think that what they believe or think important is the same for everyone. Marketing from this point of view, it's no wonder others got vexed. I know I'm not at all excited by this EP. Especially, if the ladder and firefighters will be part of the free patch. That saves me forty bucks. I don't want smog in my game, nor do I want my style of play to be directed toward certain behavior. I find that abhorrent and Draconian.

As for the leak, I rarely pay attention to those. I've been playing Sims since 2005 and leaks are leaks are leaks and rarely, if ever true. While I would enjoy farming in my game, since I have a game save set in the 18th century, EA only does what EA wants to do. Sometimes that corresponds to what fans are asking for, leading us to believe they do listen, but more often than not, they have their own plans on what is going into an iteration, despite us. It is what it is.

Thankfully, I missed all those complaint threads.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    He'll does 'leaks are leaks are leaks' mean? 😄
  • BobisbaeBobisbae Posts: 246 Member
    The marketing is bad full stop. We get a teaser, an announcement trailor an announcement post, a gameplay trailer, and a gameplay post. Sure we live in an age where consumers can watch content creators review games or have developers do livestreams and Q & As but the fact remains that trailers should build significant interest and anticipation.

Games in the past couldn't just rely on a livestream to singlehandedly create broad interest for the game. You have to wonder why these trailers only play digitally and don't get any actual ad play on tv or even on certain platform cites. I don't think they are meant to actually advertise the game hence the idea to make the gameplay trailors more story driven and from a sims perspective. I don't understand why they would do that when the game has no story porgression or even built in lore.

I think this style of marketing suits a stuff pack, maybe even a game pack but I don't like how we have to wait months at a time to learn the theme of Expansions only to never know what of substance is in the game until we see a livestream. What's more, we don't even know how it interacts with other packs until it's actually in the hands of players.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited May 2020
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    I think it came together to create more negativity that usual. It's not just about marketing. There is always a segment of the simming population that jump on how bad it is no matter what and they stir up the negative response from some simmers that basically like Sims 4 but have real issues with the game. Many are still hating on the pack or have gone quiet for the moment.. don't worry they will be back. Then we have a pack idea that has never been done on this scale .. so some won't accept that. Then the fake leak that get's some simmers hopes up for an idea that many want (me included), glad I didn't see the fake leak and believe it.
    It's not just about marketing as I said. I think some simmers too are kind of eating crow and want something to blame. Trailers never give away everything that's in the pack some are just big teasers.

I was in the Livestream thread for EL the other day and there was one individual in particular who was constantly commenting things like “Ugh I hate this pack, it’s trash, they’re lazy”, etc. Then when the Gurus would release more information about what we’re getting, this same individual would comment “Yea that looks cool, but I’m still not buying it” and “That’s awesome, but still not worth $40”, etc. Finally the last thing I read from them was “I’m so glad ___ is being added as an update because I definitely won’t be buying this pack”. It’s like... why? Lol why spend 2 hours of your life watching a stream just to hate the entire time. I could tell by their reactions that they were upset more people weren’t angry with the livestream like they were. As soon as more people were saying how they loved this feature or that feature, the person got quiet. They were unsuccessful in getting other people to agree with them. The transition was interesting. And like you said, they’ve been quiet ever since. It was just something I noticed and remembered now that you mention it.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Hermitgirl wrote: »

I was in the Livestream thread for EL the other day and there was one individual in particular who was constantly commenting things like “Ugh I hate this pack, it’s trash, they’re lazy”, etc. Then when the Gurus would release more information about what we’re getting, this same individual would comment “Yea that looks cool, but I’m still not buying it” and “That’s awesome, but still not worth $40”, etc. Finally the last thing I read from them was “I’m so glad ___ is being added as an update because I definitely won’t be buying this pack”. It’s like... why? Lol why spend 2 hours of your life watching a stream just to hate the entire time. I could tell by their reactions that they were upset more people weren’t angry with the livestream like they were. As soon as more people were saying how they loved this feature or that feature, the person got quiet. They were unsuccessful in getting other people to agree with them. The transition was interesting. And like you said, they’ve been quiet ever since. It was just something I noticed and remembered now that you mention it.
    That is interesting, misery loves company. I mean I don't 100% love all aspects of the pack, but 2 hour stretch is a long time to sit for a pack you aren't interested in. But their time their loss. I had to work, so watching the VOD myself. That way I can take breaks too for food and exercise and kitty and dog cuddles. But yeah protesting is very high now and even had some scary incidents happen at work with employment office. People trying to bribe too when all these attempts just end up wasting time for not only their money getting to them but for others as well. Thankfully on Twitch there is a way to hide chat and report. Yes there has been some protests that have good and changed history like sitting in front of a bus. Depends on how they are done how effective they will be I have learned with school. Why EA Silence on family players was done so well. We had effective advocates like Sparkfairy for it who kept good communication between the Gurus and the community.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I don’t know how they could make a short trailer capable of showing everything that’s been crammed into this particular pack honestly. Most trailers are under 2 minutes and the goal is to show some key features while maintaining an element of mystery around others to leave you wanting more. But this is one of the fullest packs (at least imho) that I have ever seen, and I don’t know how they could have adequately show cased everything in it.
  • KruegerKrueger Posts: 130 Member
    Personally speaking, I'm very much afraid that the Marketing Team suffers from living inside their own bubble. They appear to think that what they believe or think important is the same for everyone. Marketing from this point of view, it's no wonder others got vexed. I know I'm not at all excited by this EP. Especially, if the ladder and firefighters will be part of the free patch. That saves me forty bucks. I don't want smog in my game, nor do I want my style of play to be directed toward certain behavior. I find that abhorrent and Draconian.

As for the leak, I rarely pay attention to those. I've been playing Sims since 2005 and leaks are leaks are leaks and rarely, if ever true. While I would enjoy farming in my game, since I have a game save set in the 18th century, EA only does what EA wants to do. Sometimes that corresponds to what fans are asking for, leading us to believe they do listen, but more often than not, they have their own plans on what is going into an iteration, despite us. It is what it is.

Thankfully, I missed all those complaint threads.

I'm with you; I hate when the games try to strong-arm me into playing a certain way. In my opinion features should be made optional as often as possible. Even smaller/more avoidable examples of this bug me, like how in 2 kids would be taken away by the social worker if their grades were too low making it difficult to play a child who was a slacker and/or struggled in school. If the pack has an option to disable the smog/environmental effects, I would be all for this pack and it would probably jump to the top of my wishlist. But if the effects aren't optional, and I'm going to be forced into making all my Sims care about the environment or have a dirty world, I won't get it.
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    I don't think the marketing was bad. They did their job! It's not what I expected although I do welcome this pack. My jaw dropped when I saw the trailer.

"omg my god! What did they do? oh, wait was that a ladder? Cool, I got to watch that again." was my reaction.

Then I watched it again and got Fallout vibes and jumped on the excitement train for this pack within minutes. My excitement is only growing as I learn more things about the pack. I can't wait!