Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Please separate earrings from piercings

Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,410 Member
Yesterday I wanted to edit a sim in CAS. For head accessoires we can view 'all', or 3 categories (earrings, glasses and necklaces). Because piercings are added onto the earring category I now have to scroll past all the discover university piercings to find earrings. And with possibly more piercings on the way with eco lifestyle, this will only increase.

I realise that medically speaking they are the same thing. But culturally there is a big difference between earrings (traditional jewelry used by women from toddlers to elders) and piercings (mainly associated with young adults and being rebellious). Because of these differences, it is tedious to always scroll past piercings to get to the earrings if you just want traditional earrings on a sim.

It is only a minor thing, but it would be practical if earrings and piercings were in different subcategories.

Comments

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I think it’s weird they’re in the same category too.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    I always thought that my sims already had piercing. So, all those earrings are actually
    clip-ons, very disappointed.
  • joRN1414joRN1414 Posts: 1,669 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    I always thought that my sims already had piercing. So, all those earrings are actually
    clip-ons, very disappointed.

I didn't know that. Interesting.
    "Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" -Auntie Mame
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I'd like to see this. It really would be helpful.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    I guess the problem with separating them is that just as a studded leather choker is a type of necklace, and separating it from "traditional" necklaces would imply a moral judgement against the choker as a fashion choice, the same would also be true if they set ear piercings as one type of thing, and all other piercings as another, just because they aren't some people's idea of traditional.

What is seen as edgy and what is seen as traditional or respectable is highly individually and culturally modulated so sticking with what it is on a functional level is the only way. I have lived in places where college professors might have piercings other than traditional 1950's "women wear earrings, period" kinds, so the values tied to who has them and why are more obviously subjective to me.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    Didn't the new piercing originally come from the African tribes?
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,410 Member
    I guess the problem with separating them is that just as a studded leather choker is a type of necklace, and separating it from "traditional" necklaces would imply a moral judgement against the choker as a fashion choice, the same would also be true if they set ear piercings as one type of thing, and all other piercings as another, just because they aren't some people's idea of traditional.

What is seen as edgy and what is seen as traditional or respectable is highly individually and culturally modulated so sticking with what it is on a functional level is the only way. I have lived in places where college professors might have piercings other than traditional 1950's "women wear earrings, period" kinds, so the values tied to who has them and why are more obviously subjective to me.

I meant no judgement against anything in my post. I just think it would be nice if they were in separate categories because they are different styles. Just like I would prefer a distinction in the build buy between posters and wall stickers on one side and paintings on the other side. This would be helpful to find what you are looking for faster. Helpful for those who are looking for earrings as well as those looking for piercings.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,410 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Didn't the new piercing originally come from the African tribes?

Yes, piercings can be found in many parts of the world.