Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tweak for stuttering

Comments

• StillSimlishStillSimlish Posts: 6 New Member
    I cannot thank the OP enough man ! This is exactly the reason I switched from TS3 . I wish I knew this back then , perhaps it would fix that game too. I have a beast of a pc and yet the stuttering was so ugghh. Now , Elelunicy asked about NormalMapDistanceDropScale . Changing this value would effect the rendering quality of the whole map currently loaded. Mine is set at -2 currently ( I play highest setting available). This so that there is no quality loss as I move my camera away from objects and sims.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Keep in mind that every time the game is updated, the settings reverse back to original. I made a backup of the file. Don'tt know if you can prevent the updates from overwriting your changes :|

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• sikasika18sikasika18 Posts: 343 Member
    edited April 2020
    So happy it worked for you @StillSimlish :)
    The updates doesn't revert my settings back since I ticked "read only" in the properties of that file.
    I couldn't stand the stuttering as I was planning the camera,Imean they advertised this saying it was gonna run good on lower end rigs so I couldn't understand what was wrong with my game until I noticed most simmers on youtube had stuttering to some degree so I deep dived into the graphics rules and just took a chance and increased the LOD on everything and that was the cure.
    Sadly this didn't do the trick with the sims 3 so I just hard lock it to 30 fps through inspector (1/2 refresh rate) and that cures the stutter for 3 at least, maybe you could try that?

Edit:
    I might add that I run the sims 4 with more tweaks now and it still runs better than before.
    I upped the shadows from 2048 to 5k instead to remove the jaggies on the shadows, 16x anisotropic filtering and I applied transparency supersampling 8x and enhanced the in game AA with 8x in the nvidia control panel and it is still smoother and stutter free compared to default ultra.
    @Nindigo Did my tweak help you too?
    sikasika18 wrote: »
    Absolutely, thanks for sharing :)

Nindigo wrote: »
    sikasika18 wrote: »
    Absolutely, thanks for sharing :)

That's awesome! 😁
  • sikatossikatos Posts: 56 Member
    So, i change each of those lines in the HIGH or VERY HIGH settings if i have the graphic options in-game set to HIGH/VERY HIGH, right? This line:
    "prop $ConfigGroup ObjectLODBias" appears at the end of all the lines related to the settings, do i change this one too? Before this line you have:

"end
    if ($isLiveEdit)"
    I changed it for all settings, but it doesn't matter - only the settings you play with.

edited April 2020
    sikatos wrote: »
    So, i change each of those lines in the HIGH or VERY HIGH settings if i have the graphic options in-game set to HIGH/VERY HIGH, right? This line:
    "prop $ConfigGroup ObjectLODBias" appears at the end of all the lines related to the settings, do i change this one too? Before this line you have:

"end
    if ($isLiveEdit)"

Each preset for the in-game settings have a section so set everything in the game to highest possible and tweak the section for those in the graphicsrules like instructed in my OP.

There will be some fps drops in some spots but the constant fps drops and stuttering will be gone.

Report back once you've done it and tell if it works for you too. The more people this works for the higher the chance Maxis will actually listen to me and implement this on the ultra preset so people don't have to tweak it themselves.

Edit: Yes I changed that line too to 0 or 0.0, don't remember. It doesn't seem to have any effect on anything to my eye so it can be left untouched.
    Post edited by sikasika18 on
    Just saw my fix has been featured in some blogs so it seems to be a universal fix for gaming rigs, which makes me very happy! Glad people can enjoy the game they paid for.
  • aelias24aelias24 Posts: 220 Member
    Hi,

Should my setting look like this: prop $ConfigGroup NormalMapDistanceDropScale -2.0
    Real Life Is Never As Interesting As the SimswIiJK39.jpg
    edited May 2020
    aelias24 wrote: »
    Hi,

Should my setting look like this: prop $ConfigGroup NormalMapDistanceDropScale -2.0

Yes :)

Don't forget the other lines too, they are equally as important to change.
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    rudy8292 wrote: »
    sikasika18 I just tried this in my game, and it seems to help?

I don't really know if it's a placebo effect for now, but the camera movement stutter seems gone (or at least a lot less) now and the FPS seems a bit more 'stable' now instead of going from over 100 fps to like 40 when moving and zooming around causing the drop stutter.

Again, I don't know if it's just a placebo for now, but I will continue testing this.

Makes me wonder how it works. I noticed that with these settings, the trees and everything do not ''pop in'' anymore, but are always loaded already. May be the cause of the movement stutter? I don't know.

I will keep testing this a bit and will see if this really solves (most if not all) stutter completely from the game.

EDIT:

Also, the camera stutter when moving and zooming seems to be more when playing in an area with a lot of trees and plants (such as Cavaliers Cove in Brindleton Bay and also the new Sulani World with a lot of plants and trees in the areas.

Yes, the stuttering is caused by swaying trees. That's why places like Oasis Springs and Strangerville have almost no stutter or weird fps drops. If you go to the Secret Lab in Strangeville (which is a big lot), the fps is smooth and stable.

@DeKay I know you posted this kind of a while ago sorry but I have a very good gaming laptop which far exceeds the required specs but have been getting awful and sustained FPS drops (like 10 FPS or lower). I keep having to go to manage worlds or settings to snap the game out of it and get the FPS up again.

To be honest this has been happening in all of my saves but currently I am playing on the 50 X 50 lot in Willow Creek (this is a new game - well, about two sim weeks in). I bulldozed the lot so there are no trees on the actual lot now but there are quite a few trees outside of the lot...

Could my FPS drops be being caused by trees around the lot, then?

I'm doing a legacy so I need to be on a 50 X 50 or a 64 X 64 lot. Do you know of any lots of that size which don't cause horrendous FPS drops?
  • simlicious2015simlicious2015 Posts: 373 Member
    I’m going to try this today. Wish me luck!
    edited June 2020
    Okay so I don’t know exactly where the file is. Can anyone help me out?

Edit: okay so I found the file but don’t know how to edit it or open it?
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,590 Member
    edited June 2020
    DeKay wrote: »
    rudy8292 wrote: »
    sikasika18 I just tried this in my game, and it seems to help?

I don't really know if it's a placebo effect for now, but the camera movement stutter seems gone (or at least a lot less) now and the FPS seems a bit more 'stable' now instead of going from over 100 fps to like 40 when moving and zooming around causing the drop stutter.

Again, I don't know if it's just a placebo for now, but I will continue testing this.

Makes me wonder how it works. I noticed that with these settings, the trees and everything do not ''pop in'' anymore, but are always loaded already. May be the cause of the movement stutter? I don't know.

I will keep testing this a bit and will see if this really solves (most if not all) stutter completely from the game.

EDIT:

Also, the camera stutter when moving and zooming seems to be more when playing in an area with a lot of trees and plants (such as Cavaliers Cove in Brindleton Bay and also the new Sulani World with a lot of plants and trees in the areas.

Yes, the stuttering is caused by swaying trees. That's why places like Oasis Springs and Strangerville have almost no stutter or weird fps drops. If you go to the Secret Lab in Strangeville (which is a big lot), the fps is smooth and stable.

DeKay I know you posted this kind of a while ago sorry but I have a very good gaming laptop which far exceeds the required specs but have been getting awful and sustained FPS drops (like 10 FPS or lower). I keep having to go to manage worlds or settings to snap the game out of it and get the FPS up again.

To be honest this has been happening in all of my saves but currently I am playing on the 50 X 50 lot in Willow Creek (this is a new game - well, about two sim weeks in). I bulldozed the lot so there are no trees on the actual lot now but there are quite a few trees outside of the lot...

Could my FPS drops be being caused by trees around the lot, then?

I'm doing a legacy so I need to be on a 50 X 50 or a 64 X 64 lot. Do you know of any lots of that size which don't cause horrendous FPS drops?

Yes, it's cuz of the trees outside the lot in the neighborhood. I don't play the game so much now to know about the lot sizes but the best worlds with little fps drops are Oasis Springs and Strangeville.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
    Okay so I don’t know exactly where the file is. Can anyone help me out?

Edit: okay so I found the file but don’t know how to edit it or open it?

Use Notepad.
    832XG3D.gif
    @dekay it won’t let me open the file. Do I just right click and edit?

I'm not on my computer now, but yeah, I think you have to right click and open with notepad.
    832XG3D.gif

Yes, right click, open with notepad and find all the lines mentioned in the OP and do it exactly like that, save and close it then after right click the graphicsrules file and go into properties and tick (read only) and it's done:)
  • ArszeneArszene Posts: 1 New Member
    Lmao, so i played this game on my laptop with ultra preset, i tick everything except laptop mode, got decent fps around 40-60fps, but it stutter so much especially in San Myhsuno, i tried this and bam, got stutter when u load the map, but then it's just smooth as butter everytime i scrolls around, thanks

2021/2/12 still works.
    Arszene wrote: »
    Lmao, so i played this game on my laptop with ultra preset, i tick everything except laptop mode, got decent fps around 40-60fps, but it stutter so much especially in San Myhsuno, i tried this and bam, got stutter when u load the map, but then it's just smooth as butter everytime i scrolls around, thanks

2021/2/12 still works.

Yay so happy it worked out for you =D
    If you want, spread this around and refer to this thread so more people can "cure" their games.
  • MrAwesome01MrAwesome01 Posts: 1 New Member
    > @sikasika18 said:
    > Hello, I just thought I'd share a little something I've discovered in regards to stuttering and simquality.
    > I suspected it had to do with having to load LODS and texturesizes on the fly all the time as we move the camera so I edited the graphicsrules and removed all the LOD levels so it always shows the highest one at all times. I did this for all objects too so no pop ins whatsoever and also better performance whereas before I had stuttering at all times.
    > I can't believe this myself but it took away all the stuttering in my game and now I have beyond ultra settings.
    >
    > I changed some line into these:
    >
    > prop $ConfigGroup NormalMapDistanceDropScale -0.0
    >
    > prop $ConfigGroup ObjectLODBias "0.0"
    >
    > prop $ConfigGroup RenderSimLODDistances "1000, 1000, 1000, 1000"
    >
    > prop $ConfigGroup RenderSimTextureSizes "2048, 2048, 2048, 2048"
    >
    >
    > This has removed all my camera stutter!
    > I suspected there was something messed up with the LOD system in the engine and I was right. No more stutter! After 4 years I can finally play the game without stutter galore.
    >
    > Try this and report back.

Not working for me

prove:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/15XReLSB-G6PsRjyKAqEa5NNmivMOa_cA/view?usp=sharing
  • Ethan54Ethan54 Posts: 1 New Member
    > @sikasika18 said:
    > Hello, I just thought I'd share a little something I've discovered in regards to stuttering and simquality.
    > I suspected it had to do with having to load LODS and texturesizes on the fly all the time as we move the camera so I edited the graphicsrules and removed all the LOD levels so it always shows the highest one at all times. I did this for all objects too so no pop ins whatsoever and also better performance whereas before I had stuttering at all times.
    > I can't believe this myself but it took away all the stuttering in my game and now I have beyond ultra settings.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I suspected there was something messed up with the LOD system in the engine and I was right. No more stutter! After 4 years I can finally play the game without stutter galore.
    >

Hi, could you help me by sending the edited file, I have tried in many ways and I think I have done something wrong because it does not work. Thank you
    Ethan54 wrote: »
    > @sikasika18 said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Hi, could you help me by sending the edited file, I have tried in many ways and I think I have done something wrong because it does not work. Thank you

Hey I'm away from home at work for a few days and don't know when I'll be back home at my pc but if someone else that has done the tweak successfully could help that would be great. Otherwise I'll do it once I'm back home.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top