Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why I don't want farming in Sims 4. (rant warning)

13...Next

Comments

• drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    I don't want farming either, but I think it's pretty silly to say "The Sims shouldn't make x expansion pack because there's already a mod for it!" Not everyone wants to use mods, and personally, I feel that the less mods we need the better.
    Some people also can‘t play with mods (console players).

I rarely play console and sometimes forget what can and can't be done. I apologize for my bad memory on behalf of console players.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • akaniki0akaniki0 Posts: 470 Member
    I don't really care one way or the other. If they make a farming pack I'm sure I would use it. I'm sure there would be things in it I would love (chickens), but it's not really high on my list.
  • ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    edited May 2020
    Onverser wrote: »
    If people want to play a farming game then go play a farming game, I don't really see it working with the sims but thats just my two cents

I feel the same. I don't know how farming could work in the Sims either. For a start the lots would have to be absolutely massive, even by smallholding standards, and the gameplay would be very repetitive. Farming is very hard work. It would get dull very quick for me. I don't see Sims driving tractors in the Sims 4, and I can't see them milking cows either. It just doesn't appeal to me. The devs would have to come up with imaginative gameplay to make it interesting; like what moodlets can they get, skills and perks.

Country Living, perhaps, could be a better option, but I can see that being a game pack with a new world, horses, a chicken coop and lots of build and buy to reflect country life.

I dunno, I get an impression a lot of people just want chores in their game. Each to their own, I guess. :smiley:

giphy.gif
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    edited May 2020
    I feel the same. I don't know how farming could work in the Sims either. For a start the lots would have to be absolutely massive, even by smallholding standards

They really wouldn't.

You could easily have a small family farm on a lot as small as 30x30, and there's absolutely no need for anything larger than 40x50. That range gives enough room for a large traditional house, a barn, a pond, room for chickens, cows, and bees, a fruit orchard, and as many plants as a large sims family can reasonably tend in a single sims day.

At the end of the day, of course, it comes back to the same main point: if you don't want it, don't buy it.
  • RebeccaThurstonRebeccaThurston Posts: 234 Member
    A luxury and country club pack sound more boring to me than a farming pack, sorry. Anyway, there is no way that they put yachts, planes, cars, horses, polo, golf, tennis, a new lot type, a new world with massive lots and new careers in one pack. Even all EPs combined together don‘t have that much content. It‘s been six years and they still struggle with bunk beds, remember? If there is a luxury/country pack then you‘d end up very disappointed because all you‘d get is a world with barely any lots, some new buffs, a new lot type and some recycled objects and animations. That‘s it.

Thing is when most people say they want a farming pack they mean a country club pack. They just want horses. They don't want to be getting up at 4 to milk the cows and muck out the hogs. They don't want to be slaughtering hogs and chickens. They don't want to have to worry about a long drought bankrupting them.

Actually when I think of a farming expansion or game pack I don't just think of horses (though they are a part of it). I think of cows/goats to provide milk and cheese, I think of sheep/goats to make wool that would be linked to the upcoming stuff pack relating to knitting. I think of different plants such as corn and wheat that can be added to the baked goods we can already make to make them better quality.

In regards to the rest of it
    1) Farming would work pretty much like gardening - your sim does it when they are directed to do it, if you don't the plants die. In the case of animals they can be "rescued"
    2) Horses will also have to be looked after - I remember my sims cleaning out the stalls lol
    3) I don't think they would need to be slaughtering the animals - they can simply just be sold either through the computer or the mailbox.
    4) The plants we have now are not affected by the weather we have - only the seasons make them dormant or active. I can see the same working for crops - only plantable during springtime and harvestable during the summer/fall.
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Don't think farming is being imposed on anyone really, since you can either buy or don't buy it? Since not every person is going to buy every pack if it doesn't appeal to them (less you're some completionist?) Thing is people that most likely that don't use mods most likely won't use that if they're just vanilla players. Don't think it's really fair or nice to just tell people 'well if you want a farming game go play X game' or 'if you want supernatural's and fantasy in your game go play X game' etc, and so on and so forth. Reminds me when some people didn't even want a supernatural related pack and there's people that's been waiting for more occults.

Don't see why there can be a little bit of everything for everyone in the game though?

Everyone wants something different or something they want to see in their game for sure. For me I'd like to see a more date night romantic game pack, but I don't think it's more important to be prioritized since I might not like anyone elses idea of whatever concept they might want into the game.

I can see various things with a farming pack even though I'm pretty so-so with a farming related pack.

More items to grow and various recipes with more resources from chickens, cows and even goats. Needing said items to be able to make them. Getting material from sheep to make yarn which can crossfade nicely for the stuff pack for knitting for sims that don't just buy it. County fairs, hay woohoo, barnyard dances, berry bushes, hayrides, tire swings, pony rides for kids and contests for being judge on the quality of your sims produce. Cooking contests to also be judge (favorite thing from s2's Freetime pack).

Even if you don't like it I think there's a lot that could go into a farming pack and some people's want for some shouldn't be be-litted as we probably have a better idea to what would be more exciting or better gameplay for our own game.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    Hay woohoo? A roll in the hay is funny as a joke but if you've ever seen or touched hay in real life this idea would make you cringe all over. lol
  • TheJurassicPeriodTheJurassicPeriod Posts: 1 New Member
    I would enjoy farming if it were city in small spaces type farming. Backyard chickens and ducks and maybe a cow or two. This would fit in with eco living, so they should just add it in after it releases.
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Catzilla wrote: »
    Hay woohoo? A roll in the hay is funny as a joke but if you've ever seen or touched hay in real life this idea would make you cringe all over. lol

Are you telling me woohooing in hat that doesnt feel like pine needles could possibly be uncomfortable??? Whhhaaaat :#
    5vJrxmT.png
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    LadyKyn wrote: »
    Catzilla wrote: »

Are you telling me woohooing in hay that doesn't feel like pine needles could possibly be uncomfortable??? Whhhaaaat :#

:D Ikr? We have thistles in the field grass around my area, it makes for extra stabby, stickery and scratchy hay around here. It smells divine drying out in the sun, however.