Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Eco Lifestyle Gameplay Trailer Reviews Thread.

SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
edited May 2020 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Alright, so the second "Eco Lifestyle" trailer has just dropped. On this thread, you can leave a review of the trailer, just keep your critique as civil and constructive as possible (none of that "eco agenda conspiracy" stuff, please...no matter how cringe you thought the trailer was).

To me, this trailer was just as shallow as the reveal trailer. Again, it felt more like an environmentalist PSA that would run during a children's cartoon block back in the 90's than anything Sims related. It was just too...soft and gentle. The narrator's voice was too cute and girlish, adding to the kids' PSA vibe, and the fact that she was mostly rattling off the same generic environmental clean-up checklist that we've been told since 1987 will magically clean all the pollution away and make Mother Earth happy doesn't help. Strip the pack logos off and put the logos of the EPA and a couple of other organizations dedicated to cleaning up our planet and keeping it that way there instead, and you wouldn't even know it's a game ad. That's how much of a schmaltzy PSA this trailer is...and, by the looks of it, this pack.

Cleaning up and maintaining our environment is important, but PSA environmentalism is too shallow and overly simplistic to deal with the challenges we face and making a whole EP dedicated to it isn't helping anyone. Environmentalism isn't just sticking some wind turbines and solar panels on your house, doing your three R's (reduce, reuse, recycle), planting some trees, and calling it a day. We have to FIGHT for our environment because large corporations and the wealthy people who run them would rather let the Earth go to pot in order to preserve their profit margins than be environmentally responsible...even if that means slightly lower profits and slower growth. A community action board is NOTHING compared to pulling your community together to vote in and lobby politicians who will support Earth-friendly policies and create positive incentives (not just tax penalties and fines for polluting, but tax breaks and government grants to encourage companies to operate in a more environmentally friendly manner) to stop polluting. We need BIG action to clean up our world and keep it clean, not just some PSA, armchair environmentalism that does very little compared to the massive damage that irresponsible corporations do on a daily basis.

But, that tougher environmentalism is not represented here. It's just the same stuff we've been spoon-fed in PSA's since the 1980's. In 2020, we are beyond the point where that sort of armchair environmentalism looks anywhere near hopeful. It's a daydream, a fantasy, compared to what we really must hunker down and do since we let things slip so badly. This trailer looks childish and about 25 or 30 years out of date, and by extension, so does the EP. That's a real shame. EA's marketing team really needs to do better with this one, because this is one of the most poorly-conceived game trailers I have ever seen in my entire life.
There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
5MNZlGQ.gif
When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.

Comments

• logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    To me it felt like this trailer was not targeted towards me at all.

We can apparently craft and recycle furniture, we can craft candles, we can invent new things, we can convince other sims to help improve the environment.

But they showed barely anything of that. We got to see the crafting in the background, we saw very little new things that you could craft from the last trailer...apparently if you pause and look they are showing some new things...for a second.

And they also insulted people who did not want to participate and we ate bugs. So this trailer did the opposite for me, I feel less interested now.

I'm hoping that the rumors about 15 lots with apartments are true and that they will show what we can craft in the livestream.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited May 2020
    Someone needs to tell the marketing team some bad news. All I'm saying xD

The blog post was more informative than the trailer.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    Sorry folks but your either newbies or clueless. EA has run of ideas and focused on the $$$ part of the Sims. The ladders alone where held hostage from Tiny Living. Eating bugs and not fixing serious bugs it's all about the $$$. Welcome to the future of the Sims.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Honestly I enjoyed the blog post so much more. The trailers for this pack is just not.....the best...😅
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    I am not a fan of the audio in the trailer either, but I have gotten used to muting trailers anyway after the first viewing. I liked a lot of the visuals though, but still waiting to see some gameplay, official and from reviewers.
    Sorry folks but your either newbies or clueless. EA has run of ideas and focused on the $$$ part of the Sims. The ladders alone where held hostage from Tiny Living. Eating bugs and not fixing serious bugs it's all about the $$$. Welcome to the future of the Sims.

Not entirely sure the hostage analogy holds up when it's been confirmed that ladders will be added to the BG in the patch before the pack. EL will just add an another type of ladder.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    Way too PSA for me. I like many of the features, but the vibe of the trailer was too preachy for me. I cringed through most of it. I was also unimpressed with the guy sim (Knox?) harassing sims who dont follow his lifestyle. There's too much of that self-righteous nonsense in real life, I don't want it in my game.

I did not like that part at all, one of the big challenges with actually making a difference in improving the environment is to get people to work together. That lady would have turned away and never talked to that guy ever again. The approach that Knox had in the trailer would have made things so much worse.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    The entire trailer just game gave me a negative vibe. I was waiting for significant interesting gameplay, and just did not see that in a "gameplay" trailer. What I saw was similar to what made me dislike it based on the teaser trailer.
  • Nekia33painterNekia33painter Posts: 336 Member
    A lot of people compared the game play trailer to the reveal trailer and I have to agree with them. It feels like the same trailer with just a voice over. New features or well the purpose of the objects were revealed. Sims can woohoo in dumpster and eat bugs. I'm sorry but the woohooing in a dumpster gets a thumbs down from me.
    Now the stuff I do like are the vertical gardens and fizzy juice. I like having gardens in my game and having Sims make just works well for my play style. But I'm not going to buy this pack for it. You know EA is missing out on an untapped market. Allow me to pick a hero item or two and objects from other packs that I like and give that to me as a game or stuff pack price. I don't hate this pack but so far I still don't see this as expansion worthy. Knowing them they'll release making juice function in another expansion, stuff pack or update.
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited May 2020
    LoL bUdDy kNoX iS a ReAl aDvOcaTe fOr tHe ecu-liefstail. wEiRd FlEx LmAo wUt A sImP/CrInGe. *Wink wink* the planet is a mess *wink wink cough couhg wink* if only *cough* someone *wink* helped save the planet. Am I not being clear, the viewer?!!??? Now that you watch this advertisement, we would like you *waves the cash bill to their face as a handheld fan* to lift your lazy buttocks of the chair and start saving the planet as you learn the reality presented in this video game. Otherwise, the people around you will start liking trash and start dumster diving-woohing in if you don't do something about this.

This is literally what comes across of this trailer. Who the baloney think that it's a weird flex to be an enviromentalist?? Is this what EA thinks of millienials? The way of trying to cross the message to millienals and gen z comes across pathetically embarrasing attempt. I really wanna see everyone in the studio and anyone at EA, who was involve in this PSA, to just go outside and start cleaning the streets and yards that is outside of their windows. And why do Sims even enjoy "living like that" when they don't clean up the messes? Shouldn't it be the other way around? As a player, am I suppose to be annoyed that Sims enjoy living in whole trash can town over a realistic portrayal where it should affect Sims help and get them to complain over the mess they made over their selves. Into the Future had a more preferable approach to corrupted nature in dystopian future, with the exception of meteors hurling out of nowhere.

Way of how the trailer/game (I think) could have been done better:
    - Should have made Sims react negatively to the contamination instead of making cheesy, looney, whimsical reaction from Sims over the contamination. Sims walking with their heads down in sorrow is the closest and best representation of what these global issue can cause onto people.
    - Had they not used "weird flex" out of the context (which is in itself is reaching with political categaring; implies ALL millienials have zero interest over enviromentalism. Weird flex is someone literally jumping and woohooing in a literal dumster, or showing affection to flies).
    - Removing the scene&feature where the Sim seducing flies (again, if you gonna enforce the fact contanimation is big deal and ppl in RL should learn something about this, at least make a realistic depiction on emotional reaction over this global issue)
    - Having all Sims watching TV on the couch be with a negative emotion state, oppose to giving empression they 'enjoy' it (in what reality people enjoy living in this kind of smoggy town filled with litter???)
    Post edited by DragonCat159 on
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    The gameplay trailer is shallow. It does not feel a ganeplay trailer at all. Where is the New User Interface? What are the New traits and Aspirations? Dis they said that you have the power to make the world Worse or Better? Why they didn't show new things for Children and Toddlers when the Blog Mentioned it? Where is a look at the items that you can craft along side with the different furnitures you can create?

The way the trailer works(Sim narrating) Is something I am not a fan of. Look at Get Famous. One gameplay trailer yet it shows a lot more. It shows the new User Interface, the Quirks and Perks, All of the Neighborhood, Buildmode Items, Lifestyle of Reach and Famous, How to be Famous in a Variety of ways, and a deep look at active Career in a 1 and Half MINUTE gameplay trailer. Compare it to the Eco Lifestyle trailier, It shows nothing new aside from few clips, and explained nothing that would interest the player.

If this is the way future will go, then they need to hire a new Marketing Lead IMO because a lot of simmers are confused. SimGuruJill and SimGuruGeorge are excellent gurus when it comes to presenting their works, and there is no doubt that they will do a better job than their Marketing Department. Which is shame. We don't even get a lot of trailers anymore and only get three renders. if they can't properly make the game look interesting atleast have the gurus do it. They are better explaining the work they love.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    edited May 2020
    Grynn wrote: »
    My experience with The Sims 4 tells me that the reason why it felt like the gameplay trailer didn't show much that we haven't seen already is because there is nothing else to show.

That is the expansion pack people, that's it, there's no super big feature they are hiding that will suddenly make the pack suddenly seem attractive if you weren't into it yet.
    Exactly, this is the best it gets the expansion gets if you can call it that it really does not add much and the game play trailer proved it. Also bug eating I'm glad the eco people got the game play they wanted.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    edited May 2020
    „Weird flex“

„I love me some homegrown ultra organic fresh farm-to-table fizzy juice“

„This thing is fire“

xD wow...so cringe.

OH also didn't help that her sim talked in her native tongue and sounded NOTHING like the voice they got.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    LoL bUdDy kNoX iS a ReAl aDvOcaTe fOr tHe ecu-liefstail. wEiRd FlEx LmAo wUt A sImP/CrInGe. *Wink wink* the planet is a mess *wink wink cough couhg wink* if only *cough* someone *wink* helped save the planet. Am I not being clear, the viewer?!!??? Now that you watch this advertisement, we would like you *waves the cash bill to their face as a handheld fan* to lift your lazy buttocks of the chair and start saving the planet as you learn the reality presented in this video game. Otherwise, the people around you will start liking trash and start dumster diving-woohing in if you don't do something about this.

This is literally what comes across of this trailer. Who the baloney think that it's a weird flex to be an enviromentalist?? Is this what EA thinks of millienials? The way of trying to cross the message to millienals and gen z comes across pathetically embarrasing attempt. I really wanna see everyone in the studio and anyone at EA, who was involve in this PSA, to just go outside and start cleaning the streets and yards that is outside of their windows. And why do Sims even enjoy "living like that" when they don't clean up the messes? Shouldn't it be the other way around? As a player, am I suppose to be annoyed that Sims enjoy living in whole trash can town over a realistic portrayal where it should affect Sims help and get them to complain over the mess they made over their selves. Into the Future had a more preferable approach to corrupted nature in dystopian future, with the exception of meteors hurling out of nowhere.

- Should have made Sims react negatively to the contamination instead of making cheesy, looney, whimsical reaction from Sims over the contamination. Sims walking with their heads down in sorrow is the closest and best representation of what these global issue can cause onto people.
    - Had they not used "weird flex" out of the context (which is in itself is reaching with political categaring; implies ALL millienials have zero interest over enviromentalism. Weird flex is someone literally jumping and woohooing in a literal dumster, or showing affection to flies).
    - Removing the scene&feature where the Sim seducing flies (again, if you gonna enforce the fact contanimation is big deal and ppl in RL should learn something about this, at least make a realistic depiction on emotional reaction over this global issue)
    - Having all Sims watching TV on the couch be with a negative emotion state, oppose to giving empression they 'enjoy' it (in what reality people enjoy living in this kind of smoggy town filled with litter???)

wait..where did a guy seduce flies?
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    The thing is... It is a gameplay trailer but we didn't see much more than in the first one. I hate how they are marketing The Sims nowadays. They are talking to us like if we are 2 years old kids. Aren't they proud of the long time simmers anymore?
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I actually like the voice in the trailer. I like to listen to this sim's story while she presents the stuff in the pack.

I love when she says 'they may enjoy living like that...". It makes me think that they'll be more interactions and gameplay for when we choose to play a sim that wants and likes to live in the trashy world. Not just the quest for getting the world better. It gives us possibilities and i love it.

There are a lot of people that lives in highly polluted cities, with very few resources, and they are happy. And i want to have the chance of playing that scenarium. I feel like this expansion will open a big pandora box in the sims. What can be next: crime...? Looking forward for what the future may reserve.

Tomorrow i'll try to see the lifestream as i'm hoping they'll explain how the pollution works in all the worlds.
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited May 2020

wait..where did a guy seduce flies?

Not a guy, not really seducing. But the way she's admiring the flies shown in the shot in the first few second of the trailer. It just makes me go WT*? I'm confused as to what demography they catering, when people expressed complaints they want less childish/loony in this game. A Sim admiring those flies looks like something that would be entertaining to 4-y olds, and that interaction alone entices me to believe that it will apply to EVERY Sim in that game that lives in the garbage. Heck, even the protagonists of the trailer BTS probably been affected by this too. But of course, as always, Sim Gurus will create a trait for this that persuas Sims to be oppose to contamination to counteract the feature, instead of you know making an opposite affiliated or altering existing trait (Slob) to refine the behavior.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited May 2020
    Okay so I'm enjoying the pollution part so far and I can't wait to see more
    What I thought was funny is all those Simmers completely trashing people who were criticising the pack being like "We know nothing about the game yet, you have to wait for the gameplay trailer, they are going to reveal so much more" and when the gameplay trailer dropped it was exactly the same :neutral: Now everyone's like "No, we still don't know half the features that come with the pack, just wait for the livestream." :lol:

I learned more about the pack from the posts and the articles too and even found some positive things in there.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited November 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by bella_goth on
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,384 Member
    I liked the ladder animation, the insect farm and the vertical gardens and I will use the jacket of the main female character for my guys. The rest looked quite bad, especially the giant machines. I hope we don't need another special crafts table for the candles which then would stand in a 22 km long row besides the normal crafts table, the spooky ct, the flower ct, the archeology ct, the robotic ct, the weather station and the SV spy station.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    I liked the ladder animation, the insect farm and the vertical gardens and I will use the jacket of the main female character for my guys. The rest looked quite bad, especially the giant machines. I hope we don't need another special crafts table for the candles which then would stand in a 22 km long row besides the normal crafts table, the spooky ct, the flower ct, the archeology ct, the robotic ct, the weather station and the SV spy station.

The candle craft station is actually made up of TWO objects, a desk and a wax barrel, it takes up 3 tiles. :joy: