Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Spells in RoM = Scientist 'powers' ...?

Lately i have been reading and strongly analizing everything related to RoM. I used to enjoy witches in previous games, but there's something that puts me off in Realm of magic... i don't know exactly what it is, i think that maybe the visual effects, that seem to colorfull and bright and a bit exagerated...

After reading and watching a lot of youtube videos i've realized that everyone mentions how the spells and potions are just stuff that already exists in the game...

Is this your experience with RoM? Aren't there any spells/powers/potions unique to the pack? And what do you think of the animations?

Comments

• EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,935 Member
    edited May 2020
    Hmm...
    I partially agree as there are spells that summon ghosts and resurrects ghosts. Plus the potion of immortality and potions that immediately make other sims your sim talks to friends, enemies, or lovers.
  • Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    I think one thing that bothers me about RoM is the potion that fills all the needs only needs 1 apple. It's just a bit game breaking as I mean it's not even a rare ingredient hahaha.

Oh and also using magic to make food but you can't make it appear on a table or a counter ....

Back on topic though.... Using the cauldron, magic and dispelling charge definitely use new animations. Riding the broom is new animations. There is also a spell that creates a plant so that's also new.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    The practical spells tend to be overlooked by people downplaying the pack. Yes, Copypasto is just the cloning machine and transportalate is just teleportation. But those aren't the, imo, most useful spells in the Practical list.

Scruberoo - don't know of another way to clean that's not cleaning/making someone else clean. Same with Repario and repairing stuff (as opposed to re-buying it).
    Florialoral covers watering, weeding, and spraying for bugs. Get the right Spellcaster perks and you don't have to go out in a storm to do it.
    Delicioso - other than the grilled cheese aspiration, don't know of a way to summon food either.
    Herbio - again, not aware of a way to summon a full size plant outside of debug. This may be limited to Magical plants, I don't use it because I want my sims to develop their gardening skill.

I, personally, love the pack. I alternate between two saves at the moment, and I find myself missing magic in the one that isn't following a Spellcaster family. The spell animation (there's only one, I think) is nice enough, but I don't worry about it over much.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Thank you for your answers. I've always loved witches but i've read so many backlash about the spells in RoM that i have been delaying getting it...
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,018 Member
    Copypasto and Duplicato= Weaker cloning machine
    Chillio = Freeze Ray
    Burgliate = Kleptomaniac trait
    Despairio = A strong sad moodlet
    Transportalate = Teleporting
    Potion of Nausea = An uncomfortable moodlet
    Potion of the Nimble Mind = Skill boost, which we already have a ton of
    Potion of Alluring Aura = Flirty moodlet
    Potion of Emotional Stability = Happy moodlet
    Potion of Prompt Resurrection = Protection from death. So like the Death Flower, except you don't need another sim for it to work.

Other spells and potions are unique, or different enough to stand out on their own.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    Copypasto and Duplicato= Weaker cloning machine
    Chillio = Freeze Ray
    Burgliate = Kleptomaniac trait
    Despairio = A strong sad moodlet
    Transportalate = Teleporting
    Potion of Nausea = An uncomfortable moodlet
    Potion of the Nimble Mind = Skill boost, which we already have a ton of
    Potion of Alluring Aura = Flirty moodlet
    Potion of Emotional Stability = Happy moodlet
    Potion of Prompt Resurrection = Protection from death. So like the Death Flower, except you don't need another sim for it to work.

Other spells and potions are unique, or different enough to stand out on their own.

That leaves us with a good amount of unique spells and potions :)
  • GamingTweetyGamingTweety Posts: 851 Member
    In my opinion, the animations are epic! Like duelling! I really like it.
    But it's true that some features already exist in game, and how potions work is a bit easy too. But im using mods to get the game to my liking. But sure the game is easier with spells, tho it is also a problem for some simmers.
    Gallery id: GamingTweety

Looking for some custom animations? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKrWaxowK2vCzwkz6bEZRbg

Deviantart profile: https://gamingtweety.deviantart.com/
  • ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    telmarina wrote: »
    Lately i have been reading and strongly analizing everything related to RoM. I used to enjoy witches in previous games, but there's something that puts me off in Realm of magic... i don't know exactly what it is, i think that maybe the visual effects, that seem to colorfull and bright and a bit exagerated...

After reading and watching a lot of youtube videos i've realized that everyone mentions how the spells and potions are just stuff that already exists in the game...

Is this your experience with RoM? Aren't there any spells/powers/potions unique to the pack? And what do you think of the animations?

I heard from a review (LGR I think) that the spells in ROM are just cheats dressed up in animations. I've played ROM for a little while now and while I do agree with this, I enjoy the pack.

I haven't tried everything yet. I made the mistake of 'resetting' my sim's knowledge (not his spellcaster level, but his spellbook) when I saved him to the gallery and loaded him into a new game. There's lots more to explore in my game. So, I am still learning it as I go.

I really like the colourful and exaggerated aspects of this gamepack. It is magic after all, and I do like the animations.

ROM is good for just simple good fun, but it won't completely change your game. My sim has spent much of his time turning his enemies into weird objects and setting his kitchen on fire. I had a laugh with that. I also love CAS and build/buy. If you like old fashioned, occult or alternative style outfits then it's a great pack, I think. I would use this pack for the CAS alone.

Okay, that turned into a mini review. I'm hoping this helped a little :lol:
    giphy.gif
  • SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    edited May 2020
    IMO it has the similar issue as Island Living. The aesthetics are absolutely beautiful (love the town and the magic realm, animations are flashy and fun, cas/bb is amazing, just gonna have to replace the lots because simgurus got lazy when building them), but the gameplay lacks depth. Like others have said, a lot of the spells are animated cheats, or copying stuff from either reward traits we already have or the science career. I think it's worth it to get the pack when it goes on sale. If your sims have other things going on in their lives (jobs/families/etc.) then being a spellcaster is fun, but if you want your sim to devote their whole life to magic and nothing else, they'll run out of things to do. The gameplay can be repetitive and there's not a lot of new stuff to explore that will take a lot of your time. I don't think it's horrible, though, and I don't regret buying it. I'm an occult fan, though, so for me any spellcasters at all is a must have, even if I'm a bit disappointed.
  • dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    It‘s just too easy. All you need to do is have some friendly interactions with the three spellcasters and they will teach you everything. The most useful portion for your day-to-day life is the easiest and most inexpensive to make. There are barely any consequences for failing a spell. In TS: Makin‘ Magic for example there was a spell that makes someone turn into a toad („Toadification“) and to become human again they have to be kissed by an human. If you cast this spell on a sim that has a wand in their inventory then the spell backfires and your sim turns into a toad and if you‘re very unlucky your sim (now a toad) can be eaten by a dragon. ROM feels so flat and lifeless in comparison.
    I dunno about the lack of concequences. I managed to kill an NPC Spellcaster via Magic Overload by dueling them over and over again the other day. And those curses, which admittedly aren't easy to be hit with, can be pretty nasty (as seen on Dr. Gluon's Rags To Riches with a Spin.)
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    I feel like there's too much overlapping with existing content and not enough to make the spells and magic feel special. I don't hate the pack but I feel disappointed with it. I absolutely loved TS1 Makin Magic. It's not a bad idea to get it in a sale, just be prepared.
  • dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    I dunno about the lack of concequences. I managed to kill an NPC Spellcaster via Magic Overload by dueling them over and over again the other day. And those curses, which admittedly aren't easy to be hit with, can be pretty nasty (as seen on Dr. Gluon's Rags To Riches with a Spin.)
    You know your charge level though. It‘s not a surprise element. It‘s like seeing that your sim’s needs are red, refusing them to take care of themselves and then your sim dying from hunger.
    You know your charge level though. It‘s not a surprise element. It‘s like seeing that your sim’s needs are red, refusing them to take care of themselves and then your sim dying from hunger.

Getting hit by a curse is a surprise element, though. And unless you keep the needs panel open all the time, it can be missed. I've had that happen too (though I did pay more attention until the moodlet passed.)
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member

Yeah they kind of are, don't expect any "chased by bees" or "turned to hold" spells like previous installments. All of the spells are based on events and using animations already in the game.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?

Yeah they kind of are, don't expect any "chased by bees" or "turned to hold" spells like previous installments. All of the spells are based on events and using animations already in the game.

I was going to let this go but... where are the recycled animations for casting spells from? That they all use the same animation is a valid criticism. That they're recycled ... gonna need your sources. (Previous Sims games don't count. new Rig, new Animations.)

Also... without using cheats... how do you get rid of a puddle without mopping? Or repair a stove that's been torched in a fire without spending simoleans? Or get food without prepping it/buying it from a stall? or, for that matter, unspoil spoiled food and improve poor quality food? Yes, they're cheats in the game, but no cheat code or mods to access dev cheats required. So again, I'm going to need more than "it's a cheat" to dismiss them as just recycled gameplay.

And then there's the Strangify spell... where's that recycled from? I don't remember finding it in the game before Realm of Magic came along.

As I said, I should let this go. But while there are valid criticisms of both Realm of Magic and of recycled content and animations in Sims 4, this is not one them.
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    i wish it came with more goofy magic. like bringing gnomes to life, like in sims 1
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    well, yes alot of the stuff already exists in game, but tbf most of it only in other DLC (which not everyone might have or use) or if you use cheats (which also not everybody does).
    I am a little disappointed in some spells, mostly cause they are too harmless for me, I wouldve liked some untamed and mischief spells to be more dangerous or mean, more so I would have loved to be able to curse someone (which technically also already exists in game with the Jungle Adventure Pack).

That said, there are unique ones, as others already mentioned alot of the practical spells are unique and also strangeify.
    And morphiate I think does also not exist in the same way, as a scientist you can change a sims appearance but you can't turn them into objects as you do with morphiate (I would have preffered being able to turn them into a toad though).
    And of course the obvious ones Homewardial, Decursify and Rite of Ascension

Potions...hmm...Good Fortune, I don't think there is anything else like it? It makes you find stuff whatever you do, be it ingredients or simoleons, Forced Friendship, Transcendent Charmer, Immortality and Perk Purging, Curse Cleansing.
    Bearpal64 wrote: »
    I think one thing that bothers me about RoM is the potion that fills all the needs only needs 1 apple. It's just a bit game breaking as I mean it's not even a rare ingredient hahaha.

I love that potion, but yes it is a bit weird that it is so easy to make, I feel for such a powerful (and useful) potion they should have made it higher lever and use more rare ingredients...
    I heard from a review (LGR I think) that the spells in ROM are just cheats dressed up in animations.

lol...yeah, it's magic!
    thank you LGR aka "Cpt Obvious" :D
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• slamondaslamonda Posts: 1,357 Member
    i agree havent played it after first 2 days
  • j1z1j1z1 Posts: 311 Member
    The animations are one thing I really like about it. (The others are CAS and the world itself, visually at least.)

I say, if you like witches, get it. You'll enjoy discovering what's in it and maybe playing a household.

It doesn't leave you wanting to replay it, it's true. The spellcaster system is not as interesting as the one for vampires or even celebrities, and there's not much to do in the Magic Realm itself besides looking at it.

For me it was a must, even though I do think it's the weakest, overall, just because a concept like this requires a bit more depth (and they've proved they can deliver on this before, just didn't with RoM).

It's pretty much what everyone has said: shallow gameplay. But not everyone has to be bothered by this, some people still have fun with it.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I’ve just gotten started with spells, but my practical magic spellcaster’s animations always make her look like she’s dueling. I don’t like that because she is a pacifist.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited May 2020
    I feel like Spellcasters is the only occult that deserves a whole expansion pack for them. There's SO much that can be added for them... Necromancy, Matchmaking, Astrology, tarot reading, spells with new animations (not reused)... different "schools" of magic like the wiccan coven that divides between the elements, etc... IDK, RoM is the only gamepack that, for me, felt... idk... too little?!
    cheescaeks wrote: »
    i wish it came with more goofy magic. like bringing gnomes to life, like in sims 1

@cheescaeks I remember that we could craft those plumbob crystals... like the one with the shape of a star to turn your sim in a celebrity. But I also ALWAYS wanted to have that beanstalk appear in my yard so that I could see the giant in the clouds haha I was never able to do that for some reason :/
    Also, where's the ICONIC spell to turn people into frogs?!
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited May 2020
    Yeah Most spells and potions are copies of Scientist experiments, and Vampire Powers, reanimated, designed and renamed but the effects are the same.

I think Some of it's good I kind of wish they made Spells more organic, Instead of "wave of hand/wand" + Glitter and boop spell is cast. sometimes the partial affects are a bit much, or unnecessary.
    Like for infernate, I wish they did the fireball spell where a sim conjures a ball of fire in their hand and threw it at the target chosen.

What really made me mad, is definitely Zip-Zap they had a better option they could have chosen to do the Lightning summoner ability, from Seasons. Y'know if you got struck by lightning you got the chance to be a temporary storm caller, and summon lightning down at target. But instead we just got the lame mischief Hand zapper interaction. Spellcasters could have been able to harness that ability at will, and it would have been epic.

Post edited by MasonGamer on
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member

I was going to let this go but... where are the recycled animations for casting spells from? That they all use the same animation is a valid criticism. That they're recycled ... gonna need your sources. (Previous Sims games don't count. new Rig, new Animations.)

Also... without using cheats... how do you get rid of a puddle without mopping? Or repair a stove that's been torched in a fire without spending simoleans? Or get food without prepping it/buying it from a stall? or, for that matter, unspoil spoiled food and improve poor quality food? Yes, they're cheats in the game, but no cheat code or mods to access dev cheats required. So again, I'm going to need more than "it's a cheat" to dismiss them as just recycled gameplay.

And then there's the Strangify spell... where's that recycled from? I don't remember finding it in the game before Realm of Magic came along.

As I said, I should let this go. But while there are valid criticisms of both Realm of Magic and of recycled content and animations in Sims 4, this is not one them.

@DaWaterRat I don't think you understand what I mean. Just because you can't do some things with cheats doesn't mean the animations aren't recycled. "repairing a broken thing" is a feature of the game that already exists but with RoM there's a flashy spell that comes with it. "Setting someone on fire" is something maybe you can't do with cheats, however it uses the same animation like when I sim is normally on fire.

In previous installments there were actually tons of spells that featured completely new animations and objects, like the bees from The Sims 2, or golden objects/sims from sims 3 etc.
    These are just the ones from the top of my head right now.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?