Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can I just say...

The way that The Sims transitioned into The Sims 2 was just absolutely stunning! I could literally scream right now just looking at the TS2 trailer. It makes me so happy! <3
https://youtu.be/t9u1zMCos8w

P.S. Sorry for the low quality, this video is really old lol.

Comments

• AloeVistaAloeVista Posts: 326 Member
    Oh the nostalgia is killing me <3.
    rvbRMVD.jpg
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2020
    I know a lot of people point out the game didn't even look like that nor work that way. But it does have many things that it does do. Like a Sim pushes a Sim away if they try to cuddle on the couch if they aren't interested. Or the Sim sitting on the floor to watch TV while the rest are on the couch. Though kids did't swing off the ceiling, ( I wish they did) it still has many things in that trailer that actually did make it into the game eventually. Such as graduation caps and gowns, and other things.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • aircastle87aircastle87 Posts: 21 Member
    It’s been a long time but did TS2 have children who set things on fire? Twisted.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    It’s been a long time but did TS2 have children who set things on fire? Twisted.

No, they didn't. Nor did they hang from ceiling fans. Actually, I don't think we ever had ceiling fans either.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member

No, they didn't. Nor did they hang from ceiling fans. Actually, I don't think we ever had ceiling fans either.

TS2 had ceiling fans.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    I just love that trailer.
    Despite not everything being available to do in game, I think it perfectly captures the wacky and hilarious humour of the way Sims used to be, before EA devolved into thinking that toilet humour is the only way to go.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Great trailer, especially in the context of the era. We may not have gotten all that it showed, but what we did get was a game that shattered the box all games had been in for years. We got free flowing camera movement, sims that could move around naturally, not like 80 year olds with arthritis, deeper game play, improved characterization, true 3D, and so much more. Trailer is huge fun to watch and it whetted our appetites for what was to come.
    edited May 2020
    Great trailer, especially in the context of the era. We may not have gotten all that it showed, but what we did get was a game that shattered the box all games had been in for years. We got free flowing camera movement, sims that could move around naturally, not like 80 year olds with arthritis, deeper game play, improved characterization, true 3D, and so much more. Trailer is huge fun to watch and it whetted our appetites for what was to come.

Even if some of it was an over exaggeration of what they had planned, it sure does more to get people hyped to buy TS2 than the current trailer about Eco Lifestyle. lol On a scale from one to ten I thik the EL trailer is very boring compared to this one.

Kids might not have been able to do all that but it represents what a handful they are, especially toddlers.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    Even today that trailer makes me want to load up my Sims 2 game. :D Classic.
  • BohoFlowerBohoFlower Posts: 143 Member
    Never seen until now but it's cool they used Punk music LOL i guess they tried to be very hip to appeal to the kids and teens, Did it work? i think so... LOL.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    The way that The Sims transitioned into The Sims 2 was just absolutely stunning! I could literally scream right now just looking at the TS2 trailer. It makes me so happy! <3

Haha i never saw this trailer before! Very cool! And it highlights the arrival of my favourite feature of the sims: aging! I loved the sims 1 but i now don't know how i played it without aging.
  • ashleyrenee210ashleyrenee210 Posts: 187 Member
    I still play TS2 to this day! It's still my favorite version of The Sims!

Also, fun fact, alot of the things that were going to be in TS2 got lost in a fire and they had to recreate the whole game before launch. They probably meant it to be like this but then it changed because of the fire.
    Twitter: ashleyrenee210
    Tumblr: panicitsashleyatthedisco
    Origin: ashleyrenee210
    PSN: ashleyrenee210
  • candybootcandyboot Posts: 129 Member

Also, fun fact, alot of the things that were going to be in TS2 got lost in a fire and they had to recreate the whole game before launch. They probably meant it to be like this but then it changed because of the fire.

That's just a rumor.
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    candyboot wrote: »

That's just a rumor.

They did have a fire, though. It was a fire in a server room and they lost code for Sims 2 as well as other games the company was developing.

And a bunch of power outages (power outages can cause problems with computers as corruption can occur if something was saving when the sudden shut down occurred). Those power outages if due to surges and were close together in time could have been a contributing factor to the fire. The mini game during install mentions they had 33 power outages.

No official source has said how much was lost from Sims 2 but based on various trailers that had been made at the time, we might have lost a significant amount. Weather might have been base game had they not lost time to due to the redevelopment - it was scrapped in base game as they couldn't figure out how to keep it from raining inside. It also caused a trailer at E3 to be a downgrade from previously released videos due to the code having to be reworked.
  • DeadManHBKDeadManHBK Posts: 117 Member
    I was so amazed by how much more advanced TS2 was, compared to TS1. I can remember being really overwhelmed by everything you could do lol. It was such a game changer.

I have to confess, though - I feel like I am one of the only people out there who does not like aging with Sims. I know it's kind of weird, but I just prefer to keep them at the age I create them, and I am so glad TS3 gives the option to turn off aging. Except for children - in the rare instance I let my Sims have children, I age them fairly quickly to an adult. I'm weird, I know. lol
    500c175dfecfd4bfdb430b6ae61d85abc33cef98_hq.gif

A n a l Na t h r a c h D o c h e'l D e'n m h a
    A n a l Na t h r a c h T i e r a N a t r a c h...
  • SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    Don't care I got my sims 2 opens at the moment I make sort in my cc. :p
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    DeadManHBK wrote: »
    I was so amazed by how much more advanced TS2 was, compared to TS1. I can remember being really overwhelmed by everything you could do lol. It was such a game changer.

I have to confess, though - I feel like I am one of the only people out there who does not like aging with Sims. I know it's kind of weird, but I just prefer to keep them at the age I create them, and I am so glad TS3 gives the option to turn off aging. Except for children - in the rare instance I let my Sims have children, I age them fairly quickly to an adult. I'm weird, I know. lol

You're not the only one. While I allow sim kids to age up, I keep the adults as made, so In TS2 I use aging off at the start of a game session and in 3 & 4 done the same in options. I base this on the simple reason of even with the accellerated time passage in the game, it takes a lot of playing for even a single year to pass, let alone a lifetime. 29 sim days is unrealisticaly short for an adult and the same goes for the other life stages.
    I never age Sims in TS2 anymore. I haven't aged Sims in years. I was also glad when I could set the dials to long life in TS3 and TS4. But if my Sims are my favorites none of them age, I might have to age one up to adult etc. if they still live with a parent in a story in my head but that's it. If they are a kid they never grow up since I play stories in my head. I used to age Sims but haven't in years.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,404 Member
    I've been thinking about tracking down Sims 2 CDs just so that I can experience the "quirkiness..." and fun of them plus there's so much cc that is so nice. Though the open worlds of TS3 have spoiled me. Having to live in a box...and be unable to explore other than to go via loading screens will probably drive me stark-raving mad. Still I'd rather play Sims 2 than Sims 4.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    I enjoyed TS immensely. However, The Sims 2 was a revelation. From the moment that the Sim in the trailer went from mitten hands to 3D with actual fingers, I was a goner. Yet, moments later, the trailer rocked my world with aging and brand new family dynamics.

I uninstalled TS the day that my first TS2 baby aged into a toddler. The Sims 2 was a brand new day and I never looked back.

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • simlicious2015simlicious2015 Posts: 373 Member
    Cynna wrote: »
    I enjoyed TS immensely. However, The Sims 2 was a revelation. From the moment that the Sim in the trailer went from mitten hands to 3D with actual fingers, I was a goner. Yet, moments later, the trailer rocked my world with aging and brand new family dynamics.

I uninstalled TS the day that my first TS2 baby aged into a toddler. The Sims 2 was a brand new day and I never looked back.

i could not have said this better! <3
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    Any simmers who never got the chance to experience Sims 2 really missed something special.
  • Cavapoo_KingCavapoo_King Posts: 5,148 Member

the bra bits made me laugh :joy:

Gallery ID: cavapoo_king
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    The Sims 2 is a great game but not perfect, i actually struggled playing the game because the motives decreased way too fast for me to actually enjoy playing the contents.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    I'm the odd one, it seems, having been very sceptical about the Wants/Fears/Aspirations system and the idea of my sims dying from old age. I even returned to Sims 1 for some time. Not sure which expansion pack eventually elevated Sims 2 to my new favorite. Sims 4 is currently stealing the show, but only thanks to mods.