Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Paralives & Sims 4

Comments

• logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    I liked the design, probably because I kinda expected something like a default unity model, but this actually looks good and unique.
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    Height sliders and color wheels don't help much if the Parasims look like from a 2011 smartphone game :/

I mean, the game is in pre-alpha and it's only been 10 months since the project was first announced.

And just to remind you guys that the TS4 sims looked like this just months before it was released:
    oAb7RKY.jpg

24pSwAp.jpg

Whoa, the Sims in that photo look more human than the ones in the game. Actually, quite good. Not really cartoon-like as they do now.
  • Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    Paralives is still in early development and I have confidence that the final Parafolk will look more polished and more realistic. TS4 looked like a cheap phone game when it was released and as far as I'm concerned, all these years later, it still does.
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    Height slider!! 😃😃😃

I'm not sure if it should be considered as a height slider because it seems just resizing the character?
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    Height sliders and color wheels don't help much if the Parasims look like from a 2011 smartphone game :/

The art style doesn't compliment her surrounding, though it's understandable that it's still in an early stage.

Glad that some people like it, and hopefully the gameplay will meet their expectations too.

Just that, it's not my cup of tea & I'm not interested.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • doogeriedoogerie Posts: 765 Member
    doogerie wrote: »
    See as far as I can see it may not be a shiny as the sims but it look like there is much better game play and it’s open world

Is there a video of game play? I Haven't seen any yet? If so, can you link it?

Oh no sorry I mean the CAS and the build mode stuff that’s been out for ages it just feels like there is more hart in the project comped to the Sims.
  • gamekittengamekitten Posts: 2,606 Member
    Logisitcs wrote: »
    This is a 4 person team being funded by Patreon. They already have pets in (something EA has never done).

And there's been clear improvement to the housing and environment when Paralives was first shown to now. The Parafolks will most likely go through similar stages of improvement. ALSO, Alex hasn't even hired a 3D Animator as yet and look how it's already turning out.

They also will have weather. You can see it in their other videos.. Halloween and Christmas..

• Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Even if this shipped for TS2 or TS3, I would not have purchased it. It's too much of a narrow concept for a pack and looks so dull and uninspired.

On the other hand, Paralives coming with hair and clothing physics, color wheel, and a height slider is definitely more my cup of tea and so much more innovative for a life sim.
  • taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    edited May 2020
    I’m definitely gonna buy and support the development of paralives. It’s new and only has a 4 person team and looks pretty good for a start. Surely if successful enough it will improve over time.
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    xamira99 wrote: »
    Height slider!! 😃😃😃

I'm not sure if it should be considered as a height slider because it seems just resizing the character?

Looks like you can resize different body parts independently so as you grow or shrink the character, you can adjust the rest of their body at your leisure.

• icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Maybe in the future the scaling will just be vertical and not totally proportional? Any constructive feedback is helpful for making improvements :)
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    Stdlr9 wrote: »
    Paralives is still in early development and I have confidence that the final Parafolk will look more polished and more realistic. TS4 looked like a cheap phone game when it was released and as far as I'm concerned, all these years later, it still does.

I agree, TS4 still does look like a cheap mobile game.
    The art style of the current little parafolk girl isn't really to my taste, but I assume this is just an early alpha and they will get better and fit in with their environment a bit more. I hope so, anyway. That said, I was impressed that they included hair physics, and as remarked upon in this quote -
    Guess what I was most thrilled about? The fact that Maggie didn’t overact the way all sims constantly do... She felt so much more real and alive and I’m sure her personality (and the gameplay itself) are going to match this first impression. Can’t wait to find out more soon! ^^ Great job so far, Paralives-team!

I felt this too, she just seemed a simple, natural character, without waving her hands around needlessly, making stupid faces, or having her eyes virtually bulge out of her head anytime she was moved around like some sims do. I hope that the Para's remain that way.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • 5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    edited May 2020
    What does the Parish (?) language sound like?

What will you be using for your Parafolk language - actual wording or gibberish?
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    What does the Parish (?) language sound like?

What will you be using for your Parafolk language - actual wording or gibberish?

The website says it'll be gibberish
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
    Really impressed with how far the graphics and art style of building have come, and I know the characters will go through similar scrutiny and growth. My biggest concern right now is the interaction of the character to their environment. The flexibility of the building is amazing, and the height slider is everything, but how does that affect the way she touches other characters? Looks at them? How does she interact with objects in her environment? Lots of things I still want to see, but I love that we are in on the ground floor of something shaping up to be pretty amazing.
  • WrenryWrenry Posts: 960 Member
    Does everything that's been shown so far look good? Yes. But until game play comes I'll be on the fence about whether to get it or not.
  • Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,417 Member
    Kinda sad that a small group of FOUR indie devs can accomplish in less than 2 years, what Sims 4 can't even make after 20 some odd years of being a game franchise with 6 of those years being spent in one iteration of the game. I mean height sliders (something EA said would be too hard to do), hair physics (ain't seen that since the Sims 2 days), and two slots for natural hair and colored hair so genetics don't get messed up cause my character decided they wanted to try out some blue hair for two days.
  • sikasika18sikasika18 Posts: 343 Member
    First time in YEARS I am excited for a sim game and at the same time sad that it isn't for anything related to the sims. If the game has even a tiny bit more depth than the sims 4 in its gameplay I am so done with the sims, Maxis and their excuses.
    To me this is shaping up to be the true sequel to the sims 3 that I've been waiting for!
    I absolutely LOVED the style they went for and I am sure textures and whatnot will be improved further.
    She moved realistically, didn't behave like a maniac (a sim) and the sound design was so cosy and calm.
    My creative side will go nuts with this game and for once I am gonna play live mode passionately if it has more depth than the sims 4.
    I'm so excited 😍

The sims who? I don't know her 😬
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited November 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by bella_goth on
  • GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,292 Member
    I was really intrigued and excited about Paralives... up until yesterday when I watch the reveal video. I don't know what it is but something just felt off to me. It's not the artstyle at all (I have a thread about cartooned sims so it's definitely not that!)

I feel like it's actually done the opposite for me and made me more appreciative of the Sims? It kinda felt a bit flat to me. I'm going to give it more time and see what the Paralives devs do in the meantime. I'm cautiously optimistic. I feel I can't really get a sense for the game until I see gameplay.

Weird.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Logisitcs wrote: »
    This is a 4 person team being funded by Patreon. They already have pets in (something EA has never done).

And there's been clear improvement to the housing and environment when Paralives was first shown to now. The Parafolks will most likely go through similar stages of improvement. ALSO, Alex hasn't even hired a 3D Animator as yet and look how it's already turning out.

Yeah you're right. Thanks for putting my hopes up again.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    It's too early for me to know for certain, but I like what I have seen of Paralives so far. I don't want to have unrealistic expectations, but I am definitely interested in seeing how it develops and learning more about how everything works. I thought Maggie was cute, but I hope she will look even better once the game is finished. I wish we had seen a male parafolk too since I tend to play male characters. I guess I will just have to wait and see.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited May 2020
    I prefer the art style of the person more than the look of the objects and environment. The environment looks... "mushy". The environment and objects look like they're from a mobile game.

The person reminds me of a Walking Dead character and I like it. It doesn't go at all with the look of the loft they showed. It's like they plopped that character in that environment but both were made by different people. It's... odd. It feels to me like they're in 2 different worlds. They don't blend together.

Also, have they shown any of the gameplay yet? I want to see how the people interact with the objects.
  • ButteredToastButteredToast Posts: 47 Member
    I wonder about this (from their website):

Is there a first person or third person mode?
    Paralives does not have a first person or third person mode. The camera mode will be aerial/bird's-eye view, like in most simulation games.

The Sims franchise is third person pov with first person pov added in Sims 4. Games with top down/aerial view is usually the so called city building/management/god games. Although I'm not a game dev, it seems to me that pov is something that needs to be defined very early in development because it really sets up the gameplay and design framework. So at the moment, reading this I feel like this is more of a god/management game (with more decorating/house building function and character customization than say Universims or Tropico) rather that a life sim game.

I have played and enjoyed management/gods game before but they are definitely not life sims. Because of this I am going to reserve my enthusiasm until the game actually comes out. After playing some early access games on steam, my conclusion is that I probably want to wait for a year (or more) before picking up another early access games to give the devs the chance to fix bugs, add content, balance gameplay and optimize. Universims for example (which I think has a lot of potential to be an excellent game) is in development for 5 years and still Beta.