Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why The Sims 5 won't be an online game! (The Sims Olympus)

Hey guys,

With the rumors circulating around The Sims 5 being developed there are a lot of people guessing the game will require an online connection at all times and will focus more on online features than other sims games.

The reason why that probably won't happen is The Sims Olympus. It's crazy how well they hid this game from the public, even I didn't know about it since recently and I'm a huge Sims fan.
What I am talking about is a game that was supposed to be The Sims 4 and was being developed by EA for a very long time before the decided to ditch the online concept and redo the core of the game from scratch. The game was called "The Sims Olympus" (probably just a project name) and was going to feature a huge amount of online gameplay and community interactions.

Why did they change it then?: The game concept was probably changed around the year 2013 when SimCity released and was panned by players and critics alike for requiring a 24/7 Internet connection. SimCity didn't sell nearly as much as expected and the game killed the franchise (since there hasn't been a SimCity game since). In order to save The Sims franchise from a similar fate they ditched the concept and developed an "offline game" that became The Sims 4 we know today.

I do not believe The Sims 5 won't feature any new online features at all, since the inclusion of "The Gallery" in the Sims 4 was a success I believe the Sims team is going to bring more online features to the table to make The Sims 5 as "connected" and interactive as ever. However I think these features will be optional and they will not hold the team back from creating a fully-rounded Single-player experience.

This is what "The Sims Olympus" looked like:

General Concept:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsx-pgwMYew

Gameplay Concept:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2IPZDJ-pt0

Promotional Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU7Ws2L5G_Q

What do you think the Sims team is up to?
Where's my Sims 5 squad at?

Comments

• Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Boy does that look tedious. Like a glorified chat-room. It's clear they kept the style but the game itself looks like a glorified chat-room. You can't rely on other people not to come in and ruin your world by doing crazy things to it.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    edited May 2020
    The gallery is not a new invention. It’s just better now. The Sims, The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 all had an official place („Exchange“) where simmers could upload their creations and download other simmers’ creations. If the CEO (!) of EA talks about „cloud-enabled world“ and „social interaction and competition“ then he‘s 100% not talking about improving a 20 year old feature.

Edit: I‘d like to add that the gallery probably isn‘t as big of success for EA as you‘d think. They can‘t monetize the creations that the simmers upload for free but they still have ongoing costs (maintenance, servers, etc.). Its only benefit for EA is probably that it stops *some* people from pirating the game as they couldn‘t access the gallery then. I‘m sure they would prefer Second Life‘s approach and may even work towards it.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member

Edit: I‘d like to add that the gallery probably isn‘t as big of success for EA as you‘d think. They can‘t monetize the creations that the simmers upload for free but they still have ongoing costs (maintenance, servers, etc.). Its only benefit for EA is probably that it stops *some* people from pirating the game as they couldn‘t access the gallery then. I‘m sure they would prefer Second Life‘s approach and may even work towards it.

Wouldn't that mean that releasing an MMO-style Sims game like Olympus would make them lose money? It would be an one-time purchase with runing costs on severs etc. I'm pretty sure they thought of that and found a way to make it all work out, or they wouldn't have released SimCity or planned to release Olympus.
  • Options
    SimsBroSimsBro Posts: 134 Member
    edited May 2020
    Wouldn't that mean that releasing an MMO-style Sims game like Olympus would make them lose money? It would be an one-time purchase with runing costs on severs etc. I'm pretty sure they thought of that and found a way to make it all work out, or they wouldn't have released SimCity or planned to release Olympus.

Well, mobile games are now filled to the brim with microtransactions and draconian %rates to get what you want, yet the most famous ones still bring a profit that's absurd when compared to the cost that it takes to produce them vs actual full fledged games. Second Life also pretty much requires you to spend real money to get anything beyond the ultra basic despite being "free" to play, yet is still running to the day.

At least with packs we know exactly what we are getting, now imagine having to play a slot machine with real money for a mere chance to get that object you want lol (0.5% rate for the "best" ones).

The reason so many of these game companies want to shoehorn this "games as a service" mentality into every game they can is because of how much money it can bring with the smallest effort possible - unfortunately there are many casual players and especially children who are willing to spend a ridiculous amount of real cash on virtual slot machines just to get that shiny new thing. Going free to play always online with a mobile version allows them to get the biggest install base possible, especially when the graphics aren't a priority given how powerful tablets and such are becoming, nor are in depth features that would take better tech to run like Open World.
  • Options
    SimsBro wrote: »
    Well, mobile games are now filled to the brim with microtransactions and draconian %rates to get what you want, yet the most famous ones still bring a profit that's absurd when compared to the cost that it takes to produce them vs actual full fledged games. Second Life also pretty much requires you to spend real money to get anything beyond the ultra basic despite being "free" to play, yet is still running to the day.

At least with packs we know exactly what we are getting, now imagine having to play a slot machine with real money for a mere chance to get that object you want lol (0.5% rate for the "best" ones).

The reason so many of these game companies want to shoehorn this "games as a service" mentality into every game they can is because of how much money it can bring with the smallest effort possible - unfortunately there are many casual players and especially children who are willing to spend a ridiculous amount of real cash on virtual slot machines just to get that shiny new thing. Going free to play always online with a mobile version allows them to get the biggest install base possible, especially when the graphics aren't a priority given how powerful tablets and such are becoming, nor are in depth features that would take better tech to run like Open World.

Oh don't get me wrong I love the pack system and will have that anyday over microtransactions but 🐸🐸🐸🐸 they really are trying to make the most amount of money with the least amount of effort possible. There's so much wrong with that but it's a very popular business plan amongst EA. Though check out games like Red Dead Redemption, huge amount of effort for such a full game and normal price.
  • Options

What makes you think that it would be one-time purchase? It’s 2020. If they made an online, multiplayer game today then it probably would be free to play with (possibly optional) monthly subscriptions for special perks and micro transactions. Just like Second Life basically.

You have to keep in mind that the chances that EA let us download CC from third-party sites and add them to our game would be very slim in an online, multi player game. They don‘t even allow us to upload Sims with the name Anushka to the gallery because it contains the word „🐸🐸🐸🐸“ so it‘s unlikely that they would let us go online with CC. They would sell clothes, hair, furniture through in-game purchases and make money that way.
  • Options
    What makes you think that it would be one-time purchase? It’s 2020. If they made an online, multiplayer game today then it probably would be free to play with (possibly optional) monthly subscriptions for special perks and micro transactions. Just like Second Life basically.

You have to keep in mind that the chances that EA let us download CC from third-party sites and add them to our game would be very slim in an online, multi player game. They don‘t even allow us to upload Sims with the name Anushka to the gallery because it contains the word „🌺🌺🌺🌺“ so it‘s unlikely that they would let us go online with CC. They would sell clothes, hair, furniture through in-game purchases and make money that way.

Well there was an one-time purchase with SimCity so... Also I think packs are their way of replacing microtransactions especially since we have so many types now. Also what I meant is we wouldn't have to pay subscription to the game
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    Honestly, if TS5 ends up being online, it will definitely have a ton of microtransactions. Want this shirt in green? Pay up. Want anything but this basic couch? Pay up. Want a second story to your house? Pay up. Want to build a basement? Pay up. That's what they'd do to us, because this is EA we're talking about. The only way they got called out on their randomized lootbox shenanigans is that they ticked off a very large, very mainstream fandom--Star Wars fans.

Sure, there will be a one-time, $60 price to be able to download the game and get its basic functionality, but they'll take a Fortnight/Fallout 76/Overwatch-inspired approach to the continued monetization of the game. There will be a ton of microtransactions, limited edition cash shop items, loot boxes, and they'll probably roll out some sort of season pass/subscription for special perks or automatic access to new DLC content on launch. It would be horrible, just from a consumer perspective...and then, there will be the community aspect.

We'd get a ton of griefers and trolls causing trouble and botters spamming messages about going to their site to buy in-game currency with real money. Awkward multi-player missions would be implemented to encourage (read: force) players to interact with each other and bring in that MMORPG scenario where you either have to be really outgoing and extroverted to enjoy the full experience, awkwardly search for a party (even though you'd really rather fight and explore as a lone adventurer), try to drag your IRL friends into the game, or sit certain content out because you have no IRL friends interested in the game and find it awkward to walk up and talk to total strangers in the real world, let alone the virtual one. A good chunk of the more introverted players would likely be turned off by this new gameplay model and not even bother with TS5; they'd attract a ton of extroverted people who would further make the game uncomfortable for the remaining introverts; and the griefers, trolls, and snob whales (big spenders who hold the fact that they possess all of the latest/best cash shop stuff over others as a status symbol and look down on and mistreat people who never or only occasionally use the cash shop) will drive away even more long-time fans. Ultimately, TS5, as an online game, would become a toxic sludge of griefers, trolls, botters, snob whales, and 10-year-old kids who swear they're 35 but have never heard of Avril Lavigne and all want to friend you just because they saw you and their friends list is empty.

In short, a fully online main entry would ruin the franchise. A few online features, like the gallery and a story blog community, wouldn't do any damage, though. But mulitplayer...nope. That will get very bad very fast, because EA will be more interested in making money and forcing everyone to be an extrovert than maintaining a harmonious and welcoming community for players.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    @SimsLovinLycan oh my god I laughed so hard. This brought me to tears, especially the Avril Lavigne part. This was hilarious, I can't. Put that 🐸🐸🐸🐸 on a shirt or something.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    This is what "The Sims Olympus" looked like:

The Sims Olympus sounds like a greek tragedy with all the gods fighting for power. So glad they eventually abandoned it. It's the first time I see those clips and it appears like it had the same type of gameplay like The sims Online, not much innovation, just the same concept with better graphics. Sims Online was rated M, I would imagine Sims Olympus would have been rated M as well, had they continued development. It appears that EA isn't bothered that they would have lost a lot of fanbase due to the higher rating, they probably expected to recoup the loss in basegame sales through micro transactions, lots of them.
  • Options

You have to keep in mind that the chances that EA let us download CC from third-party sites and add them to our game would be very slim in an online, multi player game. They don‘t even allow us to upload Sims with the name Anushka to the gallery because it contains the word „🌺🌺🌺🌺“ so it‘s unlikely that they would let us go online with CC. They would sell clothes, hair, furniture through in-game purchases and make money that way.

Well there was an one-time purchase with SimCity so... Also I think packs are their way of replacing microtransactions especially since we have so many types now. Also what I meant is we wouldn't have to pay subscription to the game

1. We don‘t know what was really planned for SimCity because it flopped that fast. It’s possible that in-game purchases (similar to TS3 Online Store) were planned originally but scrapped last second because they didn’t want to drive away the last few players.

2. I was talking about 2020, not 2010. The target group of Sims 5 are preteens to early teens now. They grew up with subscriptions, in-app purchases and micro transactions. It’s normal to them. Why shouldn‘t The Sims 5 take advantage of that? It‘s a goldmine. EA made a billion dollars from microtransactions in a single quarter in 2019 (= three months) and I bet they‘re itching for more.

3. There can both be paid packs and in-game purchases (see GTA V, FIFA, Need For Speed).
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member

1. We don‘t know what was really planned for SimCity because it flopped that fast. It’s possible that in-game purchases (similar to TS3 Online Store) were planned originally but scrapped last second because they didn’t want to drive away the last few players.

2. I was talking about 2020, not 2010. The target group of Sims 5 are preteens to early teens now. They grew up with subscriptions, in-app purchases and micro transactions. It’s normal to them. Why shouldn‘t The Sims 5 take advantage of that? It‘s a goldmine. EA made a billion dollars from microtransactions in a single quarter in 2019 (= three months) and I bet they‘re itching for more.

3. There can both be paid packs and in-game purchases (see GTA V, FIFA, Need For Speed).

The Sims was a success because of the sandbox style, it suits different game play styles, so it appeals to many people. Once they change that they alienate players and diminish their fanbase which shows in decreased sales. They could take it online and add micro-transactions because of potential billions, but realistically speaking they are only diminishing their fanbase. They must be having great faith in the purchasing power of their new target fanbase if they think they will spend billions.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I thought it was funny that, in one of the videos, the only conversational option a character had was, “I hate buying soap.” :D
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    I thought it was funny that, in one of the videos, the only conversational option a character had was, “I hate buying soap.” :D

Lol I guess the mods were joking around during development.
  • Options
    crocobaura wrote: »

The Sims was a success because of the sandbox style, it suits different game play styles, so it appeals to many people. Once they change that they alienate players and diminish their fanbase which shows in decreased sales. They could take it online and add micro-transactions because of potential billions, but realistically speaking they are only diminishing their fanbase. They must be having great faith in the purchasing power of their new target fanbase if they think they will spend billions.

I mean… It‘s EA. They destroyed SimCity out of greed, they‘re ruining FIFA and NFS that people have been playing and loving for over two decades out of greed. They fired developers because they refused to add pay-to-win elements to games. EA removed some predatory elements (pay-to-win, loot boxes) from Star Wars: Battlefront II from when there was a huge pushback from the community and they sold less copies than expected. Unfortunately, I don‘t think that the Sims community will push back as hard as other games communities. Simmers call other simmers „toxic“ and „ungrateful“ for demanding simple things like toddlers, cars, bunk beds or for being mad about getting so little content for a $40 pack, especially in comparison to packs in TS2 and TS3. I‘m 99.9% sure that The Sims 5 will be full of microtransactions and the sims community will continue to throw their money at EA. Just look at The Sims Mobile.

https://www.windowscentral.com/ea-reportedly-fired-plants-vs-zombies-creator-his-refusal-make-sequel-pay-win?amp

https://gamingcentral.in/ea-fired-developer-refused-add-pay-win-elements-game/

• Options
    @dearie_blossom ouch! I didn't know half of that. My god this does make me worry a bit now. Thanks for that info. I mean we never know what will happen with The Sims 5 but it also reminds me that I cannot think of one game released by EA in the past 2 years that had no microtransactions (ofc there might be one though)
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited May 2020
    Yeah it did slip that the Sims 4 was going to be online and that it wouldn't be revealed to be common knowledge until the Sims 4 finished development by Maxis. With the push for Sims 5 to be online by the CEO now I know why. Then again I wasn't even on Sims forums then, but people were talking about the Sims 4 going online on modthesims up until 2013. They even found the server coding in the game files.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller