Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can cc suddenly turn corrupt?

Hi everyone!

I had made a backup of my laptop. I put all the sims 3 stuff on a usb to be safe. Afterwards I put all my sims 3 stuff on my computer again. Including CC Magic with all my cc already in it. I opened it up and found some cc (which I had put into categories ages ago) in the "default" section.
I opened up sims 3 dashboard by Delphy to check all my cc and these files were now suddenly red! (so corrupted)
The program says it's not a DBPF file.
Every file that now has a red colour has a slightly different name:
"._( ctenid ) peggy 090 af" instead of "( ctenid ) peggy 090 af.package"
"._(plumb-da-bots) unicorn onesie.package" instead of "(plumb-da-bots) unicorn onesie.package"

I find this so strange, as this was cc that perfectly worked before! And I can't download the cc again either since most download links have been removed by the creators.

Can someone please help me?

Comments

• puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited May 2020
    I'm not an expert on custom content, and I know nothing about CC Magic. But I do know there's often an issue with .package files on FAT32-formatted drives. I don't know what it is, and the one time I tested thoroughly, NRaas mods were fine. It was only TS4 cc that couldn't be read. (I used a symbolic link to move the user data folder to an external drive.) When TS4 threw the error, it had the same ._ in front of each file name that it flagged as corrupt. On the other hand, the files were fine once they were back on an internal drive, so the files weren't permanently damaged.

I don't know how to you might go about fixing your files, unfortunately. I'm just throwing this out there in case someone else who could otherwise help better doesn't know what to make of the period-underscore in front of the file names. I mean, you could try simply renaming them, I guess, to remove the ._ that shouldn't be there. Other than that though, I have no idea.
  • BobbiliciousBobbilicious Posts: 25 Member
    @puzzlezaddict Thank you for your quick reply!
    Since you said they were fine once they were back on the internal drive, I wonder if the cc is actually corrupted.. I might take a chance and just play the game anyway (not sure though lol).

The ._ only shows in Delphy's s3pe. My actual cc files don't have those ._ so I sadly can't rename them. Thanks anyway though! :)
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I have this EXACT problem with sims 3! It's not very cc friendly and files seems to corrupt easily out of nowhere! And I tried playing them with the corrupt cc and all kind of weird glitchy stuff happens so not a good idea 😆😆
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • BobbiliciousBobbilicious Posts: 25 Member
    @Babykittyjade I fixed it! I copied all the cc that turned corrupt and paste them into another folder (just on my desktop). I deleted all the corrupt cc in my CC Magic.

Then I used the program by Delphy to scan the corrupt cc in the folder (the one on my desktop). It suddenly isn't corrupt anymore! (No idea why lol)
    I put this cc back into CC Magic. Check it again with the program by Delphy just to make sure it didn't turn corrupt again. It didn't! :D