Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Getting a new PC

Comments

• TalonflareTalonflare Posts: 47 Member
    I'm very wary of prebuilt Cyberpower PCs, nonetheless, the computer should run the Sims 3 fine even though that RAM configuration leaves a bit to be desired. Oh, and I highly, highly recommend you use a gsync or gsync compatible monitor; all that computer power is almost a waste when your game displays like a jigsaw puzzle or a stuttery mess if you use vsync. I speak from experience.
    original.gif
    Just a little Smile.
  • animexlifeanimexlife Posts: 36 Member
    I just got an old asus monitor, 15 inch. Idk what those vsync are lol. I was gonna get a pc built but the list he had was very similiar to this one except it had a bit more space on the SSD, so i figured it should do the job. I only play WoW and sims 3, the rest is watching movies/browsing web. Hope this PC can do those two games alright, they tried to find a decent one.
  • SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    Talonflare wrote: »
    I'm very wary of prebuilt Cyberpower PCs, nonetheless, the computer should run the Sims 3 fine even though that RAM configuration leaves a bit to be desired. Oh, and I highly, highly recommend you use a gsync or gsync compatible monitor; all that computer power is almost a waste when your game displays like a jigsaw puzzle or a stuttery mess if you use vsync. I speak from experience.

@Talonflare Would you care to elaborate on that, how do you think it should have been done instead?
  • SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    animexlife wrote: »
    I just got an old asus monitor, 15 inch. Idk what those vsync are lol. I was gonna get a pc built but the list he had was very similiar to this one except it had a bit more space on the SSD, so i figured it should do the job. I only play WoW and sims 3, the rest is watching movies/browsing web. Hope this PC can do those two games alright, they tried to find a decent one.

@animexlife Vsync is short for "vertical synchronisation", and it means that the frame rate of a game and the refresh rate of a gaming monitor are synchronised, i e the graphics card doesn't generate more frames per second, FPS, than the monitor can display.

And since Sims 3 doesn't have any built-in FPS limiter you have to set it manually in your graphics cards control panel. If you don't do this your card will go crazy and deliver tens of thousands FPS to no avail and burn itself out in the process. I'm sure you don't want that to happen to your nice new computer.
  • TalonflareTalonflare Posts: 47 Member
    SuzyCue72 wrote: »
    Talonflare wrote: »

@Talonflare Would you care to elaborate on that, how do you think it should have been done instead?

@SuzyCue72 I would recommend 16GB on a gaming PC at minimum, but animexlife is only wanting to play the Sims 3 and World of Warcraft, and has stated that other than that they'll just be browsing the web. For that, 8GB of ram will suit them just fine.
    original.gif
    Just a little Smile.
    Well now I'm worried, I don't have one of those monitors. Can't afford one either right now, they're pricey. Is there a way around this? If I don't set it manually, will It cause damage? Seems I should stick with my old pc, Idk why they must complicate things. When I got this back then, a monitor was a monitor, just different sizes. :(
  • CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    edited May 2020
    @animexlife Don't worry! You can use your old monitor with no problems. :smiley:

G-Sync (nVidia) and FreeSync (AMD) are features some monitors have, that automatically synchronises the framerate the graphics card spits out with the monitor's refresh rate. This is to avoid "tearing" and "stuttering". My monitor doesn't have this feature and I don't have any problems at all.

Just turn Vertical Sync on in the nVidia settings and you're good. :smile:

On my computer the Vertical Sync setting in the NVIDIA Control Panel is under "Manage 3D settings".

With V-sync on the graphics card doesn't have to work as hard, so it will be cooler, quieter and draw less power. :smile:
    cUrfGkA.gif
    Thank you, I'll do that when I get it. Still in delivery. Appreciate the help.