Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Summer Fest Gift Exchange ~ DONE!

Comments

• SamelaRitaSamelaRita Posts: 1,007 Member
    edited May 2020
    Okay, I'm actually beginning to feel like I'm getting somewhere. Let's not confuse this with Finished, or even Nearly Finished, but I've got to that This Does Actually Look Like Something (and not just a building site!) I'm still on Don't Redo Everything!!!! Big question now is, do I move on to making people, and then put the remaining touches to things after I move the people in? I've had good old Cap Able upgrading things and Verity Able checking that you can sit on all the seats, use all the toilets etc., so as far as I know, the lots are playable. Decisions, decisions...

@ciane if anyone can make a roof do what it's supposed to do, it's you! Looking forward to meeting your obedient roof when the gifts get unwrapped ;)

@Hidehi did the window fitters turn up on time? And were they practising social distancing?
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    When I build a house, I will edit it until I get the roof the way I like it. The windows are the second thing that have to look good. Once I've got a good roof line and windows, the challenge is mostly over and it's just deciding where to put the walls for rooms. You've gotten farther than I have @SamelaRita as I haven't play tested yet; BUT I have finished CASting the first idea and I may be done playing with the roof on the second idea (and its windows are all in too), though the walls are not nearly finished!
  • LMC6255LMC6255 Posts: 940 Member
    SamelaRita wrote: »
    Okay, I'm actually beginning to feel like I'm getting somewhere. Let's not confuse this with Finished, or even Nearly Finished, but I've got to that This Does Actually Look Like Something (and not just a building site!) I'm still on Don't Redo Everything!!!! Big question now is, do I move on to making people, and then put the remaining touches to things after I move the people in? I've had good old Cap Able upgrading things and Verity Able checking that you can sit on all the seats, use all the toilets etc., so as far as I know, the lots are playable. Decisions, decisions...

ciane wrote: »
    When I build a house, I will edit it until I get the roof the way I like it. The windows are the second thing that have to look good. Once I've got a good roof line and windows, the challenge is mostly over and it's just deciding where to put the walls for rooms. You've gotten farther than I have @SamelaRita as I haven't play tested yet; BUT I have finished CASting the first idea and I may be done playing with the roof on the second idea (and its windows are all in too), though the walls are not nearly finished!

@SamelaRita I am so glad that you are getting closer to getting to where you hope to get, I can relate, the decisions and details, even the tiny ones are often the hardest part for me.. I have lots of ideas, it's just making these ideas come to "life" that can be daunting at times.. ;)

@ciane Lately, I am finding that windows are rather tricky at times, especially, trying to get the style right, it just frustrates me at times.. I hear you as to the roof, it's not only the roof type, but also deciding what roofing style to use can be challenging for me.. :/ Hopefully, at the end we will both find the perfect style for both the windows and roof.. ;)
    Oh, I agree on the windows @LMC6255. That's one reason I absolutely love the Bauhaus set. Windows that match no matter if you need a two-tile, single-tile, tall, or short one are priceless in my opinion! We sometimes just have to make do with best matches.
  • PuddinroyPuddinroy Posts: 4,451 Member
    Peeking through the fence. Hi all.

:) Smile!

edited May 2020
    @ciane The Bauhaus set is awesome, I wish there were more sets like it! :) Also finding the right set of blinds when I do bathroom windows is difficult at times, especially for larger to medium size windows.. I wish there were more blinds, and a larger variety of curtains..
    @Puddinroy Hello, I hope you are doing well. :)
    LMC6255 wrote: »
    @ciane The Bauhaus set is awesome, I wish there were more sets like it! :) Also finding the right set of blinds when I do bathroom windows is difficult at times, especially for larger to medium size windows.. I wish there were more blinds, and a larger variety of curtains..

I do have a slider mod that helps with adjusting some curtains up and down, so that is a tremendous help. Waves to @Puddinroy too!

@ciane what is the name of that mod? Can I get it at Mod The Sims?
    edited May 2020
    @LMC6255

Alverdine_curtainsALL is the package file. And I'm almost certain that I got it there.
    Yep. Here's the link:
    http://modthesims.info/d/512649/shiftable-curtains-base-game-island-paradise.html
    And I use this one too for other stuff:
    http://modthesims.info/d/512711/shelves-extras-shift-amp-hide-with-walls-down.html

Heaven has one here as well that includes curtains with other things:
    http://www.modthesims.info/d/497200/so-many-shiftables-and-a-little-more.html
    (I don't use that one because of the issue with sims and mirrors. They'll raise or lower themselves to match the new mirror height.)
    edited May 2020
    @ciane Thank you!! :) This really helps me a lot!! I also appreciate the mod for the shelves and mirrors!!
    @ciane Thank you!! :) This really helps me a lot!! I also appreciate the mod for the shelves and mirrors!!
    Just be very careful with the mirrors. When I first tried that, my sims went below the floor or up in the air and I can't remember if resetsim had to be used to fix that. It just isn't worth it. Heaven would only shift mirrors in places that sims couldn't use them, like over a couch; but then, you'll get the foot stamping.

edited May 2020
    ciane wrote: »
    Just be very careful with the mirrors. When I first tried that, my sims went below the floor or up in the air and I can't remember if resetsim had to be used to fix that. It just isn't worth it. Heaven would only shift mirrors in places that sims couldn't use them, like over a couch; but then, you'll get the foot stamping.

Thank you, I appreciate the warning! What I did was I went to Mod the Sims where Heaven's mod is.. I think, the mod had been recently updated and it says on the notes that the mod needs the patches from Late Night and Seasons for it to work well.. At least that's what I understand, I am still learning about mods, but if this one works out it could really make a difference when it's time to decorate builds. I agree with you! Having all those conflicts with the game, isn't worth it.
  • MiaSkywalkerMiaSkywalker Posts: 3,436 Member
    @LMC6255 Because it has now been several years since Sims 3 has had a patch, that means that it is very rare to find a mod that is incompatible with the final release. Generally speaking when it is, the mods (if the creator has not logged in to MTS in a while) will put a note at the top of the mod description, saying it is outdated. Often they'll also give a link to an updated one, if someone else has taken the mod over.

But that's pretty rare; most mods were updated at least for the final patch, so unless you run into a Clash of Two Mods situation, generally you won't find a problem. Even mods that say that the creator hasn't logged in for a long while are usually OK, but if you're concerned, you can always check the comments to see what other people say.

Heaven still posts to MTS, so it would be unlikely that any mod of hers hasn't been updated for the latest release. Again, though, you can check the comments to be sure; if there are problems, someone will be bound to have posted something about it on the last page of the comments.
    @MiaSkywalker I tend to be very cautious.. I have had to reset my game several times, I used some cc in the past that had caused many problems with my game.. My understanding is that mods are different from cc.. I have had some success with mods I have used in the Sims 4.. I know most Simmers that play the Sims 3 use mods, and like you are very cautious when it comes to cc.. I know I am...

I am not very familiar with Heaven's mods.. She has updated this mod.. I did check the comments... I still have a lot to learn!

I only have two mods installed for the sims 3, therefore, I won't have to worry about mod conflicts.. I would like for my game to be more malleable, especially when I'm building... Although, I wouldn't want my mirrors to conflict with my Sims, or have to reset my Sims.. I wish I knew more about computers and how mods work.. ;) Thank you for your help! :)
    I hope you enjoy seeing what you can do with the new slider mods in your game @LMC6255.

I have made great progress today. I have walls and doors. ; }
  • SamelaRitaSamelaRita Posts: 1,007 Member
    Hi @Puddinroy And how are you doing over there?

@ciane So glad to know that you can keep the weather out!

I have something finished! Okay, so it's a family and therefore doesn't count as getting past the post, so to speak, but something is done. Am furiously resisting the temptation to go back and tweak...
    @SamelaRita - Don't you know, the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. @Puddinroy is probably mowing the lawn. :smile: And, you can always go back and tweak. That's part of the fun, right? I'm never done until the pics are uploaded, and even then, I might change something.

I hope you are all looking forward to a fun weekend and some simming time.
  • PuddinroyPuddinroy Posts: 4,451 Member
    Doing pretty well. Missing my sims as I’m at my parents house.
    :) Smile!

@ciane So far I haven't gotten to try my new mods, but I know I will be using them really soon.. Thank you for the links and advice! I appreciate both!! ;) I am very glad you are making progress with your windows and doors! I am looking forward to see what you create! :)

@SamelaRita I think I sometimes spend more time tweaking than on the actual build.. Getting to that point of deciding it is finished is not always easy.. CAsting is often what makes tweaking hardest for me, especially if it's a shade of difference..

Oh I agree @LMC6255 - there is a lot of subtle shading to do! I am CASting now.
    @ciane CAsting already! That is fantastic! :) Are you finished with all your builds?
    edited May 2020
    Except for CASting and play testing, I have finished all my ideas; but there might be one more.
  • HidehiHidehi Posts: 1,109 Member

@SamelaRita , the window fitters had no option but to keep to the social distancing by the way as they came with frames that just didn't look right and had to turn back ;) ... it has been all sorted though thanks to @ciane and @LMC6255 chatting about windows :D .... that helped tremendously!!! x

@Puddinroy, I very much hope you are having a fabulous time with your parents even though you are without your sims :)
    So glad we could help your window fitters fit better windows @Hidehi! :smiley:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top