Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Simmers, welcome! - Community’s tips & tricks to get started

Comments

• SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 961 Member
    Is it possible to tell the game not to use certain costumes/articles of clothing when creating new Sims?
  • Hallie22Hallie22 Posts: 64 Member
    Is it possible to tell the game not to use certain costumes/articles of clothing when creating new Sims?

You can use filters to select the clothes you want your sim to wear.
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,303 Member
    edited May 2020

Yes. Not sure exactly what you mean. For example it you want a bottom that is only a choice of jeans, select that. Then only from a certain pack or packs you can filter that. Then only those are available to chose, even if you hit the random die.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• frenchfreyfrenchfrey Posts: 36 Member
    Hi all! I'm about 7 points off from becoming a full member. I really want to post my ideas in the idea boards. I've come up with a few of them since I'm basically only playing Sims during quarantine
    frenchfrey wrote: »
    Hi all! I'm about 7 points off from becoming a full member. I really want to post my ideas in the idea boards. I've come up with a few of them since I'm basically only playing Sims during quarantine

What kind of ideas? I'm curious. :)
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• frenchfreyfrenchfrey Posts: 36 Member
    One small one is that they should let sims listen to music and do homework/coursework at the same time. Because lord knows that I listened to music when i did homework. Made it more fun - which is what listening to music and doing work in the sims should do too!
  • ladybugjosie23ladybugjosie23 Posts: 166 Member
    frenchfrey wrote: »
    One small one is that they should let sims listen to music and do homework/coursework at the same time. Because lord knows that I listened to music when i did homework. Made it more fun - which is what listening to music and doing work in the sims should do too!

I wondered if this can be done with the earbugs from fitness stuff... i havent tried it but ?
  • Demicompton1Demicompton1 Posts: 22 Member
    I hate how sims have a hard time multitasking basic stuff
  • BlackjackWidowBlackjackWidow Posts: 23 Member
    > @Smellincoffee said:
    > Is it possible to tell the game not to use certain costumes/articles of clothing when creating new Sims?

Do you mean the randomly generated sims that are walking around in weird clothing? It would be fantastic if I could tell my Sims to stop their obsession with wearing the eyeball ring, for instance :smile: Unfortunately, no, you can't.

You can take control of them for a little bit and dress them, then set them back to unplayed, but you can't get them to stop generating weird outfits.
  • SimmerQuinnSimmerQuinn Posts: 5 New Member
    > @gogojelly said:
    > > @SimmerQuinn said:
    > > Hi guys I'm new to the forums, but have been playing since Sims 1. I decided I really want to try more story telling and challenges in the Sims any advice for adding links and/or challenges to the forums?
    >
    > Awesome I can relate, I have been very interested in the storytelling aspect and have been trying to figure out how to share them. There's a guide to Sims Lit on this forum (found in the creative corner), I've mostly referred to that. As new members we can't post links yet. However I have uploaded my stories on to a free blog (wordpress), once you become a member you should be able to share your links.

Awesome thanks! I'm writing some sims content now so its always good to have some referrals!! Good luck!
  • Knux03Knux03 Posts: 18 Member
    dont rush things the sims is not a speed runner kind a game is for relaxing
  • mattiemayhemmattiemayhem Posts: 47 Member
    A_Mom wrote: »
    A couple of things I’ve learned are that when you move you can put things you want to take with you into your household inventory (in build/buy mode) like the shower you upgraded to self cleaning or the expensive fridge you don’t want to have to buy again. Items depreciate so if you buy something for $1,000 and use it for awhile you’ll only get like $800 when you sell it. Also if you pause the game right after your sim moves before they do anything or enter the house and go into build/buy you can sell any superfluous or unwanted items from the lot before they’ve depreciated in price.

And something I wish I had done early on was to make a “game template” that I can use to start every new game because I got really tired of spending hours adding extra lots like the spa and bowling alley and customizing others to add things like the rock climbing wall or toddler potties on community lots every time I started a new game.

what do you mean by template? like empty save files, or saving the lots?
  • Desinator19Desinator19 Posts: 1 New Member
    :( Hi, I'm pretty fairly new to the Sims 4 game. I've only been playing it for a week now. I have finally gotten almost everything down and feel comfortable with adding more to the game; since it was on sale, I tried buying the Cats & Dogs pack to add to the experience. Ever since then, nothing will load or work. I can't open Origin; it doesn't even load, I can't log in, and it won't even accept my report ticket to let them know their website isn't working correctly/properly.
    Now, for some reason, I can't play my Sims game online anymore; I have to keep turning my WiFi off in order to play the game. I've been trying to fix this problem and figure out what's wrong for the past two days and I'm getting pretty frustrated. I am playing on my Mac. Can anybody please help me and show or tell me how to fix it? Thank you! :smiley:
    A_Mom wrote: »
    A couple of things I’ve learned are that when you move you can put things you want to take with you into your household inventory (in build/buy mode) like the shower you upgraded to self cleaning or the expensive fridge you don’t want to have to buy again. Items depreciate so if you buy something for $1,000 and use it for awhile you’ll only get like $800 when you sell it. Also if you pause the game right after your sim moves before they do anything or enter the house and go into build/buy you can sell any superfluous or unwanted items from the lot before they’ve depreciated in price.

And something I wish I had done early on was to make a “game template” that I can use to start every new game because I got really tired of spending hours adding extra lots like the spa and bowling alley and customizing others to add things like the rock climbing wall or toddler potties on community lots every time I started a new game.

what do you mean by template? like empty save files, or saving the lots?

This is a great idea. I was thinking for a "template", a setup for every time you want to start a new game, why not start a new game on pause, then put everything in everywhere. Go through every world, every important lot, add everything in including lot traits. This may take quite a few hours, but then after that you won't have to do it again, ever. Plus if you did miss something on your "start template" save, you can go in and add what you missed anytime and save over it. Keeping that one save as your starter "template" save.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    After being an early adopter of TS, TS2, and TS3, I finally jumped into TS4 a few days ago. I had sworn that I'd never purchase or play TS4, starting over with a small, somewhat dull core, and even moving back from the open world of TS3. But the sale was good, and honestly it was a whim. Long story short, I've had enough fun with it that I purchased all of the packs, even those not on sale.

I have concluded that in its present mature state, it's a really fun game. I do miss the open world of TS3, but the game engine never really supported open world very well. I needed mods to keep the game functional for more than a few days. TS4, on the other hand, seems pretty smooth. I have exchanged open world for quick loading screens (I kept waiting for splines to reticulate); for sims that don't bump into each other and then spend 30 in-game minutes tapping a foot; for sims that are smart enough to move around and/or phase through each other to get to items, and who can hold multi-sim conversations while doing other activities; for a game that hasn't (yet) slowed to a crawl with dozens of stuck and/or mis-routed sims throughout the game world; for a game that hasn't spawned abandoned vehicles across the game world; and I could go on. I'm glad that I wasn't one of the early sufferers, but I'm glad that I bought it at this point.

In keeping with the theme of the thread, here's a tip that drove me crazy for about two hours. I did major modifications to a really well designed house that I downloaded from the library. Saved it; then couldn't find it in my own library. Went back into build mode, re-saved it to my library; then still couldn't find it. I thought I had encountered a major bug. Turns out that the house had a custom book from a mod, and I didn't have the library set to show files that contained custom content. When I finally realized that I had to click the check box to show custom content, almost a dozen copies of the lot showed up from where I had repeatedly saved it.

So here's my TS4 rookie tip: If you can't find a lot or household that you "know" you saved, make sure that you have the custom content box checked on your library.
  • diskettidisketti Posts: 18 Member
    > @frenchfrey said:
    > One small one is that they should let sims listen to music and do homework/coursework at the same time. Because lord knows that I listened to music when i did homework. Made it more fun - which is what listening to music and doing work in the sims should do too!

Such a good idea!
  • diskettidisketti Posts: 18 Member
    > @singularuniverse said:
    > If you're new to building or furnishing and not sure where to start, search up home floor plans! Often these include not only rooms and doors, but also show where furniture should go and it can be great inspiration. If you have social media, there are plenty of accounts and pages you can follow too that will post similar things - some are even coloured renders or detailed drawings rather than just a flat image. Watch YouTubers, find your fellow simmers on the internet and see what they're making.
    >
    > And don't worry about how the roof looks. Trust me, you're not going to see it often when you play and everybody struggles with those.

> @singularuniverse said:
    > If you're new to building or furnishing and not sure where to start, search up home floor plans! Often these include not only rooms and doors, but also show where furniture should go and it can be great inspiration. If you have social media, there are plenty of accounts and pages you can follow too that will post similar things - some are even coloured renders or detailed drawings rather than just a flat image. Watch YouTubers, find your fellow simmers on the internet and see what they're making.
    >
    > And don't worry about how the roof looks. Trust me, you're not going to see it often when you play and everybody struggles with those.

Do you have specific pages or Youtube accounts to recommend? :)
  • xSongxxSongx Posts: 1,562 Member
    Your builds are going to suck when you start out, but that's alright! If you really don't like the way your build looks, there are lots of awesome ones on the Gallery, but the best way to get nice builds you like that work for your gameplay is to build them. Practice makes progress! Build and figure stuff out, and play in those houses to find what works and what doesn't. Also, I would definitely recommend watching simmers on YouTube: lilsimsie, Plumbella, etc.
    they/he
  • xSongxxSongx Posts: 1,562 Member
    Oh and - highchairs are a waste of money and your toddlers can't get out of them, which makes them totally dependent on the adults. Just open the fridge and drag the food onto the floor or table, then make your tots grab a serving. Also, I always keep my toddlers on the same floor as the kitchen, because it's difficult for them to go up and down stairs until they get their movement up, and it's annoying to toggle between floors with food.
    they/he
  • BohoFlowerBohoFlower Posts: 143 Member
    > @simgirl1010 said:
    > I've found the Gallery to be an invaluable source. I cannot build and have absolutely no desire to build. There are so many awesome builders in the community so I download all my lots and then make any necessary design changes to suit my purposes.
    > Plus I prefer to spend my time on live gameplay.
    >
    > My favorite game feature would have to be toddlers. They're adorable and oh so realistic. 💗
    >
    > Since this thread expressly asked for tips on the Sims 4 all I'll say about the previous versions is that you can find information on them in other sections of the forum.
    >
    > Have fun and as @EA_Mai said don't hesitate to ask questions. 😊

One of the reasons i plan to upload some Builds i'm going to do once i can install the game, i feel like i got pretty good with TS2 but now i need better tools... and i'm definitely gonna be able to do a lot more being able to fit stuff into smaller spaces i feel like my main problem with TS2 was i see the whole room but i had to just keep shoving things in where i could limited by the parameters of the objects and walls but i don't have to do that so much with TS4s Build Tools i'm excited :D i'll even just build some stuff for people with all or some packs even when i won't have them, first though definitely gotta get used to it, some people are STILL a lot better than me though like i've no idea how they do it LOL i'm good at copying pictures and floorplans but not so much at quickly improving i need an idea first and i sort of... improvise but i need pictures for some ideas too and then go with it, not in the same way though i do what feels right with the type of build but i need something to put me in the right direction. It really is fun to Build though, i love the Gameplay too and i don't Build anything i won't use for my own Sims :)
  • SimsterLivSimsterLiv Posts: 92 Member
    edited May 2020
    I do recommend getting seasons and the laundry pack if you like realism in your game, maybe add cats and dogs if u are an animal lover or want your sims to have a pet other than a fish or what I used to do were frogs in those glass containers. Honestly just the basics like using shift when painting walls to cover all the walls in the given room as well as the flooring, use testintcheats true to teleport sims ESPECIALLY if u are in windenburg or other places like jungle adventures where it takes a long time for sims to get around, also bb.moveobjects is my best friend honestly
  • singularuniversesingularuniverse Posts: 29 Member
    disketti wrote: »
    Do you have specific pages or Youtube accounts to recommend? :)

Yes actually! Personally I quite enjoy James Turner on Youtube (AKA TheSimSupply on the Gallery), he has a very nice voice and many great builds - doesn't post every day though. Lilsimsie / Kayla Sims on Youtube is another good builder who does lots of build challenges and posts just about every day, and her letsplay content is enjoyable to watch while waiting for another build video.

On Instagram I also recommend follow some architecture hashtags, and my personal favourite page is called dontwastespace - it does a lot of floor plans which I find really useful. There are also many Simstagram accounts on Instagram and Tumblr dedicated to building, and searching for tags like sim4house or sims4build will show you heaps of cool builds by other players :) Good luck!

• MegasourusrexMegasourusrex Posts: 4 New Member
    What are the things you wished you had known when you were getting started with The Sims?

I probably never knew about alt-placing or the previous sims equivalent of bb.moveobjects when buildings until I played the sims 4 (and I've played all the sims but most of my time went mostly into sims 2 and 3). That would have my builds a lot nicer looking and a more unique touch than the sort of boxy placement things get put in with out alt-place or bb.moveobjects on. I'm in no way a "builder" and I really wish I knew how to make good looking houses lol I'm still stuck in that sort of box-house with no outside shapes kind of builds.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited May 2020
    Don't get discouraged by the Sims community. There are good eggs in it especially on Twitch. Maxis at Play I would recommend because nice to get to know the Gurus when they aren't just streaming the Sims. BobSquad is amazing if you need to find good friends that don't care about which Sims game you enjoy.

You can keep up with Sims news here and don't need a Twitter account for it:
    https://twitter.com/i/lists/994711305746501632?lang=en

This is a really good mod site to start off since they pre-screen their mods:
    https://modthesims.info/

Deaderpool has a great mod and honestly one of the best mod support discords:
    https://deaderpool-mccc.com/#/

Good place to find eyelash custom content:
    https://katverse.com/2020/01/17/must-have-3d-eyelashes-for-your-sims-4-game/

Good site for recolored pack hairs:
    http://wildlyminiaturesandwich.blogspot.com/

Some other good custom content sites:
    https://plumbobteasociety.tumblr.com/
    https://peacemaker-ic.tumblr.com/

Stick to Sim File Share and Google Drive for downloading custom content.

Good site to remember all the Sims 4 cheats:
    https://sims-online.com/sims-4-game-info/sims-4-game-cheats-codes/

Hot key list for the Sims 4:
    https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/controls.php

How to add custom music in the game:
    https://www.wikihow.com/Add-Custom-Music-to-The-Sims-4

Sorry for all the links, but yes best advice I can give is there is no wrong way to play. Don't feel pressured to get all the packs especially if finances are tight. Join giveaways if you can and wait for sales. A good starter pack I would suggest is Parenthood because it makes teens so much more fun to play.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller