Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How much §§ can you make in 21 days in vanilla TS3 ?

4xel4xel Posts: 34 Member
TL;DR:
What the title says, without cheats or exploits.

Starting as a fresh young adult, traits and LTW as you want.

I have an ongoing rags to riches matriarchal legacy game, where the founder uses her time as a young adult to rack up enough money to provide for the younglings she begets as an adult. I wanted to have an idea about how well I fared and what I would do differently.

Like many legacies, I have self imposed rules to prevent using game mechanics that, even though they aren't technically cheating, are so poorly balanced they're hard to distinguish from it. Hence the following rules I loosely abide to:
  • no bug abuse (no free purchases on secondary residential lots)
  • no exploit (no composition cancelling)
  • no beneficial cheat
  • lifetime wish has to be taken among the 5 proposed one (better traits tend to be associated with harder rewards)
  • no moodlet manager
  • no EP *
  • no move in *
  • no collecting *
  • no adoption *

It about the money available to start building a legacy mansion, but it's also about the passive income (income you don't have to spend time on) at the end of this time period.
Notably, these ones are not obvious:
  • career wage: you can assume you fake sick days or are forced to take paid vacation to take care of your children past the 21 days time period
  • real estate: it's obvious you should invest as much as you can so I initially thought it was a non factor. But writers have a higher setup cost than gardner and fishers, so less money to invest, and painters have to choose between paint appreciation and partnership revenue, so I guess it's worth a mention.

In my run, I rushed the buiseness career with an ambitious workoholic schmoozer (lucky and excitable as well, lucky was kind of wasted I felt), 21 days in I had about §40k, starting from §450 (a bike and the cheapest §200 lot, familyfunds 0), and §6630 weekly passive income, §2850 from partnerships, and §3780 from power broker wage, which was a huge blunder because, if you're being on paid vacation, chairman of the board pays more per day and even more per week (my sim would have been around §8000 weekly I think).

Even if you don't follow the rules I do, I'm interested in hearing your take on making a talentless young adults rich fast. Bear in mind though that I've done my homework, and am already aware of the plethore of ways to make ludicrous amounts of money using what I consider to be exploits for the purpose of my legacy: So if what you have in mind resembles any of the above, I'm most likely interested in hearing of it, but I am also interseted (and moreso) in lesser ways.

If you're interested, I can turn it into/create a proper challenge. Tell me if you're interested into the start as homeless part as well then. Also tell me if you're more interested in a 42 days span.

* I don't strictly abide to these rules, but I don't make money by breaking them. For example, I don't train an army of hunter dogs or use the consignement store, I only move in one mate poorer than my founder, so how much money I can make alone is still relevant, etc.

Other similar posts of interest I found:
Post edited by 4xel on

Comments

• EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,800 EA Staff (retired)
    Very interesting idea @4xel. I like starting with no money and progress with no cheats so trying to get as much money as possible in the beginning of a save is nothing new for me. However, I never really set a specific time limit and checked how much money I could make by that specific date. Neither I gave a big thought at building up my Sims' passive income, for example. At the beginning, I usually spend all the money my Sims are able to make as soon as they earn it.

When trying to get money, I usually focus on progressing through a career as fast as I can, as well as having my Sims do some extra work like painting or writing. But again, I've never focused solely on building up the household funds, so not much I can share you haven't thought of already.

This was really inspiring, thank you!
  • SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    Fortunately there are plenty of ways to make easy money in TS3, without resorting to cheats like Kaching or Motherlode. Buying, renovating and selling the Classically Cool Fixer-upper Car from Roaring Heights is one of the best.