Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Has anyone made a project of just one, whole neighbourhood?

2...Next

Comments

• glory_joyglory_joy Posts: 134 Member

I've been making an entire universe, one family, one world at a time! I have to say, this project has been the most compelling thing I've ever done in Sims 4 and kept me engaged for a several months now.

I'm doing a lot of my own builds and creating my own OCs mostly. Once in a while, when I feel lazy or I want to move forward with a world to complete some story idea, I'll download a build or sim from the gallery or elsewhere, but I tailor even those. The only townies I have are a heavily edited Caleb Vatore and some remakes of a few Sims 3 families. I'm a pretty heavy alpha cc user, so even if I dl a great gallery build, I edit it so the textures fit the look I want.

San Myshuno is complete--a lot of singles and childless or older couples there. Willow Creek was kinda slapped together as I started converting NPCs to played characters and building their homes and families. I've only really built up downtown and the island of Windenburg, because I had an idea that the island would be home to a whole bunch of various types of artists who really wanted both solitude and an arts community. Oasis Springs is fully built out and populated--it's ended up being a real mix of families and singles, but is mostly a haven for folks who've felt like outsiders. This is the first time I've ever even played in Brindleton Bay, which has turned into a fishing and farming community.

Every single sim in my game has a backstory--that is really what motivates me to build up a new area, then create neighbors for the poor backstory sim I sent there. Then I feel like I need to give that sim a life and so it goes.

tumblr.com/blog/bramble-elfdancer

f3d469b1f0a831857e1b1b4ded8bc8662ad53652.png

• Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,303 Member
    glory_joy wrote: »
    Every single sim in my game has a backstory--that is really what motivates me to build up a new area, then create neighbors for the poor backstory sim I sent there. Then I feel like I need to give that sim a life and so it goes.

That's exactly what I do too! Thumbs up to you! <3B)

It was too insane when I started the game (vanilla) where within a couple weeks to a month in-game time, other than my sim household it was a mess. I went from the built in "off the shelf" chaos, to extreme dictatorship, (all autonomy off) But with some mods I have autonomy on again. For example, the chance of pregnancy is set at 1% now for any sims that are not being played. And with very long life they are not dying before I even have a chance to know they existed. And zillions spawning. It's more realistic with long-term families and the occasional new ones I put together from all the lone spawned townies.

It's cool to see the same characters at different spots doing what they do. I check them out in CAS once and a while and play them to fix things up if needed.

I'm a long ways from filling up 'worlds', but I'm reaching the threshold of having things flowing more smoothly and more organized. Without having to control them all as drones like the Borg. Heh! Or exterminate most of them and start fresh.

(I had to do that once already, without actually restarting the game. All the premade sims were dead and their offspring were running amok. So I wiped most of them out and brought back the pre-mades to start over from transferring them from a new game to the library, then placing them back in their starting home in my save. This time playing them a bit when I have a chance.) I also check out any new townies I run into and watch in household management. Often combining a bunch of random single characters into a family or at least a single household. Get them set up (so to speak) then let them do their own thing. I certainly have the "Fill empty lots" setting turned off! Any new townies are then out-of-world.
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    edited May 2020
    @FurSimsOfficial I like your ideas.

For Strangerville, have you found a way to edit the lab? Do please share if this is possible.

I used to have a scout camp in Granite Falls too, but it was disappointing for me. I made some groups of scouts with the club system and would meet there but none of the other scouts would really do the activities I wanted them to.

What sort of things will you have in your architecture centre? I placed a big base camp as a park in Selvadorada, it is based upon the Egyptian base camp from sims 3. I placed an architect table there but my sims can't use it because they 'don't own it'.

For Strangerville, I use the mod where it turns the lab into a build able residential lot. See here. I am planning to have a group of military Generals live there to welcome my sims on their missions/tasks.
    The mod only works if you have never entered the lab in your save. I haven't tried it out yet in gameplay.

I also haven't played with the scouting camp in GF yet, but I fear the same as what you experienced. Clubs can meet on a lot in GF? And if you just go on a holiday with your chosen group, do these sims actually stay and sleep on the lot or do they go off most of the time? I experienced this a lot in the past when I took friends to a holiday cabin in the woods. Mostly they weren't even around. If you can visit the lot as a club, then the set the wanted activities for them, it should go as planned though.

I mistakenly wrote architect, but I meant archeology. Maybe you got that :p
    Anyway, I also haven't had the chance to play with that, since I only have just been building the last couple of months. I did try to have a club system in the regular worlds, but the option for club members to work on the archeology table wasn't listed. Not sure if that changed, but it might has to do with the fact that you can only practice this after digging up items first. So, I thought of building this center in SD, book a holiday with the club members (a.k.a his students), then visit and stay overnight at the archeology center lot where I build tents and a small bedroom for the teacher. If have placed these archeology tables there along with a classroom all in the style of the world, so nothing too modern and also not loaded with electronic devices. It mostly looks primitive :) My sim will get to mentor his students in the classroom.
    I am planning to have the students either dig up artifacts around the lot, then work on those archeology tables and if they can't, then I will just have the teacher inspect their findings, maybe sell some as a payment for his project and place some as trophies on the shelves I put in the center as well.
    If Sims can't use these placed tables, I will just pop my own table in my Sims pocket from home and have him do his work on that one. That worked fine before. Perhaps I will even invest and buy a set of tables for the students. I will have to see if the trip brings in enough money though. Maybe in the last few days of my trip or if the students are educated enough, I will take them to the jungle on a mission. Just hope no ones dies :D I know it's pretty easy to die there, so I need to be fully prepared and equipped. Sounds challenging to me :)

• JojoMOMSTERJojoMOMSTER Posts: 1,957 Member
    I do neighbourhoods all the time! Love doing that. I’ve been meaning to change the ’up the hill’ part of StrangerVille to all earth ships.
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I have nearly redone all my neighborhoods. I have a save file just for the sole purpose of the lots I've replaced or updated. I either copy that save file for each new game and I save it to a USB as I play on 2 different PCs in the house.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • ButterfreeguyButterfreeguy Posts: 633 Member
    I once sent Bella Goth back in time with her house. I deleted her family members and converted the rest of Willow Creek into a medieval town with buildings from the gallery and medieval NPCs from there as well. Only Bella and her house remained the same, until I turned her house into a medieval restaurant. 😂 That was a lot of fun.
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,120 Member
    I've rebuilt every lot in every world up to Britechester. I have a save file of just the builds and no sims if you're interested.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • shacoriashacoria Posts: 247 Member
    I am in the process of redoing all of my neighborhoods. I was able to find some really great houses for Oasis Springs & Newcrest from ViaSims. Now, I am working on Brindleton Bay. It has been very time consuming.
  • StrangerthanStrangerthan Posts: 345 Member
    This thread has really inspired me! I think I'm going to have a go at redoing Magnolia Promenade!
  • mattiemayhemmattiemayhem Posts: 47 Member
    I have been rebuilding ALL the world since the summer. It is a looong and slow projects and daily I build something, often I change my mind or have to edit cause of new content, lot restrictions and better solutions.

Willow Creek has it's focus on family play. It has the typical suburban sub hood. Another sub hood is filled with a school, gym, study cafe's, hangout spots and a daycare. Then in the upper town I have victorian rowhouses and community lots of that sort as well. The community areas are mostly family friendly such as a rollerskating lot, cinema, karaoke bar and gym. The park has turned into a Christmas market for families to enjoy in the appropriate season.

Oasis springs has become a wealthy southern world. I imagine it is an extend to the California/LA world of get famous. The enclosed site area has turned into a sort of Malibu sub hood with condo's for those famous sims. The GF world just did not have that mid-class sub hood I needed. The community area has boho type of restaurants/cafe's. There is also a resort and spa for the wealthy sims. In the lower subhood area's I have put Spanish houses for mid-class families.

New Crest is family/city oriented. I have modern town houses lined up all in the same style. The lower area is filled with stores, cafe's and a shopping square. The city area has beautiful historical buildings like Vienna. There is an Opera/restaurant, hotel/spa and I have to add a few lots more in this category.

Magnolia Promenade is still a bit unsure and remains empty for now. I am probably going to only add restaurants, lounges and fancy clubs for wealthy sims only.

Windenburg remains 'European'. In the old town, I have Parisian buildings and Dutch styled houses across the subhood. The island has beach houses and some empty lots for future holiday homes. The country side is just what it is.. country, farming and an open air wedding venue of course. The modern city part is just filled with modern community lots like a library, club, party boat and gaming center.

San Myshuno is more like NYC in my game. I didn't like the Japanese aspects of it and just changed it into something more suiting to most of my Sims. I kept the subhoods as they are. The spice market remains a bit sloppy with abandoned warehouses as photo studios and nightclubs.
    The art district has a culture center where sims can practice their interests, build up skills, meet others with same interests and perhaps practice for their goals. It contains all kinds of classes for sims (clubs) to join like a music class, art class, dance class, theater, local cinema, cafeteria, art gallery, bookstore and a conference room for promoting politicians/ practicing speeches.
    The fashion district has a lot with only high end fashion stores for the wealthy sims. The business area has a office building complex for sims with all kinds of jobs to come in and work on those active careers. It also has a bank and cafe on the main floor.

Brindleton Bay has that cozy family town vibe. It contains family suburban sub hoods, beach homes and get away condo's. Near the harbor I build a fish market, restaurant and a pit stop all in one market. I also left the idea of the yacht club there, but replaced it with a better one. And the world needed a city hall. I feel this town is very close and all sims know each other pretty well and ride bikes to town to get their groceries done.

Del Sol Valley will always be LA. I replaced all the mansions with stunning modern realistic looking villa's from Sarina_Sims. It is amazing how real they look and without CC. Just beautiful! The boulevard has a red carpet award show, a very modern nightclub with a 3-star entrance, the biggest movie theater of all worlds with a little club in the basements for upcoming stars + a build in theater for the acting club filled with sims from town who are trying to get famous. I also build a typical LA food truck in the original park that was made by EA. Oh, and a fancy music theater with a VIP bar/lounge section.
    The lower living area is replaced with better looking California bungalow houses as well as a minimalist tiny house.

Strangerville is on hold for now, cause the projects are too big to work on now instead of starting to play again soon. I am planning to change the lab into an area 51 lot with a spaceship base, military base and science lab where I have sims who work in those careers come and do missions, stay in for days and work on their skills/job tasks. The area on the hill is mainly a living area for those secret wealthy sims who in one way or the other work for the government. The houses will be eco-futuristic with unique designs. I saw TheSimStream making some perfect buildings I can place there. New pack could work out for this idea as well. In town I just placed some creepy abandoned houses and caravans.

Sulani
    is also a big project, but I made it into a holiday destination world. There are hotel resorts for both classes, expensive yacht boats for wealthy sims to throw parties on or buy/rent as their holiday homes.
    Of course I also have more local areas that remain in their original vibe of the world.

Britechester is pretty new installed in my game, so just a few builds waiting in my library, but no steady plans.

Granite falls is supposed to be my ski resort world for now. I also have a scout camp there for kids and for the rest I have Scandinavian houses, planning on a Finnish bath house and perhaps a ski resort on a hill. Just struggling with the lots and sizes for these ideas.

Selvadorada is a world one of my sims travels often too, cause he is an archeologist. So i build him an archeology culture center that runs as a school to educate his students (club system) and go on missions. Haven't tried it out yet, but cant wait to play soon!

Omg, sorry for this loooooong comment. hope you enjoyed the read though :)

* Had to edit some typing mistakes I made :P

this is absolutely incredible omg! this is PERFECT for those bigger worlds. I always got overwhelmed trying to fit every amount of sims activities in every world and it really lessened the amount of places for sims to live in, but this format lets everything have its place and i can look forward to the storytelling. I will definitely be building my own world in my own story with this sorta style! i think my favorite part of this is how everything could possibly look, and how the city is used for skillbuilding and brindleton bay is this sweet bay side retreat. love it!
  • SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 961 Member
    When I first got the game, I immediately wanted to re-create Peralta, a neighborhood of mine from The Sims 2 that I loved. It was a desert town inspired by various places I've lived in or visited in New Mexico. I'd started both changing the lots and the Sims' names to make them more Land of Enchantment-like, but it took me days to get one house looking proper, and then every stuff back added more Sims, so I began thinking Peralta Nueva wouldn't be happening. I still want to do it, but I have a full time job and an RDR2 habit to support now.
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    I'm rebuilding Twinbrook in SIms 4 right now, its slow and all... cuz I'm lazy to do everything at once haha but I'm trying to match the housing areas to neighborhoods in SIms 4 to be as similar as possible, and I'm really happy with Eco Lifestyle cuz now I'll be able to make the save file look as crungy as the original Twinbrook. Right now my plans are to use Willow Creek and Glimmerbrook cuz some of their neighborhoods match the original layout from TB. But I'll probably build more stuff elsewhere. I'm hoping really bad that Evergreen Harbor bring neighborhoods with similar layouts so that I can place the homes cohesively like they were in SIms 3.
    When I say layout, I'm talking about the position of the houses, which one is next to which one... and so on and so forth.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    Ooo, I so miss Twinbrook & the inventions from Sims 3. I thought the new game looked a bit familiar.
  • ElliandreElliandre Posts: 2,468 Member
    There are so many great ideas here and I feel so inspired now and can't wait to try them!!! :smile::heart:
  • ladybugjosie23ladybugjosie23 Posts: 166 Member
    edited May 2020
    I actually do this often... I have done oasis spring, and newcrest (yes filled that one completely up...) I also redid a lot of San Myshuno, and other worlds... i often end up not liking the preplaced ones, and i love finding extra nice ones in the gallary and can spend days planning and making the new worlds...

Granite falls is supposed to be my ski resort world for now. I also have a scout camp there for kids and for the rest I have Scandinavian houses, planning on a Finnish bath house and perhaps a ski resort on a hill. Just struggling with the lots and sizes for these ideas.[/i]
    May i steal this idea?
  • Janiebug1122Janiebug1122 Posts: 25 Member
    I have one neighborhood that is populated with all the homes I've ever lived in, along with my family members and long term close friends. It's fun to go down memory lane and wander through houses from my childhood.
  • Flexono1Flexono1 Posts: 326 Member
    This is the current state of my test save in Willow Creek. I build and test all my houses here before adding them into actual play saves

LFJPaOQ.png
  • ladybugjosie23ladybugjosie23 Posts: 166 Member

Granite falls is supposed to be my ski resort world for now. I also have a scout camp there for kids and for the rest I have Scandinavian houses, planning on a Finnish bath house and perhaps a ski resort on a hill. Just struggling with the lots and sizes for these ideas.

Selvadorada is a world one of my sims travels often too, cause he is an archeologist. So i build him an archeology culture center that runs as a school to educate his students (club system) and go on missions. Haven't tried it out yet, but cant wait to play soon!

Omg, sorry for this loooooong comment. hope you enjoyed the read though :)

* Had to edit some typing mistakes I made :P

May i ask what you installed and found of lots for Granite Falls? and what you put on the 50x50 lot? and also what you found and installed for Salvadorada?
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    The only world I leave untouched is Selvadorada whenever I start a new save file. I hardly ever take my Sims there so I leave it as it is. But every other world in that new save is altered in one way or another. Magnolia Promenade is generally converted into a family-orientated town with venues that cater to kids and families. Skating rinks, diners, and parks with fishing ponds, and outdoor toys like the pirate ship. Newcrest is always an upscale area where I have restaurants, lounges, coffeeshops, bowling alleys, and anything else I can create where the adults and y/a's can go to party with friends, or go on dates. Windenburg is generally a place where my Sims go to be tourists so there are retail shops, a restaurant or two, and sometimes a wedding venue. San Myshuno....I have a difficult time trying to play in that world. I don't care for the apartments or the lounge that is on top of that one building so it is also a place where my Sims go to visit the different festivals from time to time. But I do remodel the karaoke bars so each one is different in each of my saves.

It takes a week sometimes to redo every world and neighborhood each time I start a new save but each save has it's own set of characters with a certain storyline I want to play out. So all the worlds are altered to suit what I have in mind for the story I want to tell. It's fun when you see what is in your head, come to life in the game.