Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

THE one & only 'Eco lifestyle' complaining thread

Comments

• ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    edited May 2020
    I'm just disappointed. My main concern is how is this even going to give gamers replayability without it becoming a one shot and its done. I think it's going to be a another strangerville pack in terms of gameplay. They just dont listen.

I was worried about it being a story based pack too, which completely put me off. Fortunately a dev confirmed it won't be like Strangerville. I'm personally just curious how this pollution-free world can be achieved in a fun and interesting way.
    giphy.gif
  • bethyGracebethyGrace Posts: 709 Member
    I think it might be because a lot of the gurus have made other sims games I think that makes you where you don't wont to do
    some things that are a lot a like its understandable after all playing the game is a lot different then making it  I'm sure
    talking about something your doing for the third  time gets old
    I still want what I want though

This is partly why I'm interested in Paralives. It's a new, albeit tiny, team working on a new life simulator game. They're enthusiastic and passionate about it and that energy, even with my skepticism (that's in part because of what I'm used to with The Sims), is contagious. I like the fact that even though it may take a while they're trying bring something new and fresh to the table. That they want to understand potential players and create something great for those of us who love the genre. I love that they want to know what potential players might be interested in and why to get a better understanding of us.

On the flipside with The Sims team things have gotten stale to me. They've gotten stuck in a some aspects and I don't feel that same enthusiasm and passion here like I used to. I read their posts and listen to some of the livestreams but I guess because I know how much better things can be, and it feels to me like they aren't trying to do better, the excitement just falls flat.

I don't remember which gamechanger said it but she said something along the lines of how the Paralives team could take certain shortcuts and it'd be easier to turn a blind eye to because they're indie where if The Sims tried that it wouldn't fly because they have a what, multi-million or billion dollar company funding them. But also, to me at least, their shortcuts don't fly because it was 2014 when this game came out and it's 2020 now. When did The Sims 2 come out with detailed animations again? They have a 20 year history behind them, about 14 years of history before The Sims 4 with more heart behind the games then than I feel behind this one now. And not just with those little details, but so many things from the sims, to the worlds and neighborhoods, to the way packs were done, to the freedoms we as players were given.

That was Plumbella talking about Paralives. I agree with her - with a brand new franchise, you might be able to turn a "blind eye" to a couple more quirks than with a new Sims game. (I love Plumbella, she usually always says what I'm thinking!)

I'm so keen for there to be competition in a market which has been monopolised for the last 20 years.

Ages ago, Paradox Studio were also talking about attempting a life simulator game (the people who made Cities Skylines) - I haven't heard anything else about it, but I remember reading threads about it with the Devs on their forums. They did say it would take a very long time to develop, which is fair enough, but imagine if we suddenly had another game studio coming out with a competitor to the Sims? Not to mention that Cities Skylines was absolutely amazing and they're still coming out with fantastic content and updates to the game.

I feel like the "toxicity" of the community could potentially die down if we had some more options of what to play.

But I also resent being bulk-labelled a "toxic" community member for not supporting this new pack. My love for the Sims began in 2002, this game has literally been my life (without trying to sound too dramatic, lol), and I only want what is best for the franchise.
  • TentacrocaclesTentacrocacles Posts: 449 Member
    I've never known the complaining threads on the forums to be toxic. There's been cases of individual threads where people complained about packs/updates not being catered specifically to them and asking "who asked for this?!" not realising that plenty of people had been asking for whatever the pack or update was in the ideas/speculation forums.

But I've noticed that the complaining threads seem to be full of genuine critique. I don't always agree with it but I have to say this time I really vibe with it because as someone who frequents the ideas area of the forum I know for a fact that when people asked for eco friendly this isn't what they asked for.

Although I am happy about the inclusion of solar panels and wind power, that's pretty cool. But usually the idea of an eco friendly pack went hand in hand with farming. Also most of us were pretty satisfied with them including eco friendly items across multiple packs instead of doing a whole pack catered towards the subject. This I feel has drawn a solid "excuse me, what?" from all of the people calling for eco friendly gameplay.

Also previously I complained about the worm... grub... thing, and I have to say. I did not realise up until now that it was the same as the hamster animation.

So I'd just like to add something on the topic of animation here; I don't think it's ok that they reuse animation assets for an EP and charge us full EP price for that. I also don't blame the sims team for it because I feel like this is happening because they are not given enough time or resources from the studio to make things properly so they just end up reusing assets just to get the pack out on time. I honestly do not believe that EA cares about quality anymore, they just want to maximise profits.
    A link to my most recent build in the gallery

tumblr_inline_okebxv2e9a1shjovd_1280.png
  • vincentvega8899vincentvega8899 Posts: 103 Member
    I like the idea. I don’t like disappointment. That’s all!
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    Eco Living has been in demand for 6 years by the players that love more environmental realism in their games.

I personally always voted for Genies for my summer expansion pack & unfortuately it still not made & probably never will because there wasn't a whole lot of players that voted for it.
    However, I do believe that the Farming, Horses, Generations, Werewolves & Fairies will come to the game, evenually.
  • EA_LannaEA_Lanna Posts: 3,867 EA Community Manager
    Hi folks,

I've removed some recent posts veering off-topic. As Mai so recently reminded members to please keep the discussion on topic and civil here this shouldn't happen. Please keep in mind derailing the thread takes away from the discussion others use this thread to have and that's not really fair. We'll have to moderate members who don't respect that or the forum rules, so please do hear us on this.

Thank you,

EA_Lanna
    • New Simmers, take a moment to read through this thread.
    • The Help Center is hosted on Answers HQ. Check out EA_Mage's thread on why.
    • Please post all Sims 4 Bug Reports, Technical and Gameplay issues in the AHQ Sims 4 Section.
    • Here is a quick link to The Sims forum rules
    oa2aib6yaucg.jpg

• dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    bethyGrace wrote: »
    I think it might be because a lot of the gurus have made other sims games I think that makes you where you don't wont to do
    some things that are a lot a like its understandable after all playing the game is a lot different then making it  I'm sure

This is partly why I'm interested in Paralives. It's a new, albeit tiny, team working on a new life simulator game. They're enthusiastic and passionate about it and that energy, even with my skepticism (that's in part because of what I'm used to with The Sims), is contagious. I like the fact that even though it may take a while they're trying bring something new and fresh to the table. That they want to understand potential players and create something great for those of us who love the genre. I love that they want to know what potential players might be interested in and why to get a better understanding of us.

On the flipside with The Sims team things have gotten stale to me. They've gotten stuck in a some aspects and I don't feel that same enthusiasm and passion here like I used to. I read their posts and listen to some of the livestreams but I guess because I know how much better things can be, and it feels to me like they aren't trying to do better, the excitement just falls flat.

I don't remember which gamechanger said it but she said something along the lines of how the Paralives team could take certain shortcuts and it'd be easier to turn a blind eye to because they're indie where if The Sims tried that it wouldn't fly because they have a what, multi-million or billion dollar company funding them. But also, to me at least, their shortcuts don't fly because it was 2014 when this game came out and it's 2020 now. When did The Sims 2 come out with detailed animations again? They have a 20 year history behind them, about 14 years of history before The Sims 4 with more heart behind the games then than I feel behind this one now. And not just with those little details, but so many things from the sims, to the worlds and neighborhoods, to the way packs were done, to the freedoms we as players were given.

That was Plumbella talking about Paralives. I agree with her - with a brand new franchise, you might be able to turn a "blind eye" to a couple more quirks than with a new Sims game. (I love Plumbella, she usually always says what I'm thinking!)

I'm so keen for there to be competition in a market which has been monopolised for the last 20 years.

Ages ago, Paradox Studio were also talking about attempting a life simulator game (the people who made Cities Skylines) - I haven't heard anything else about it, but I remember reading threads about it with the Devs on their forums. They did say it would take a very long time to develop, which is fair enough, but imagine if we suddenly had another game studio coming out with a competitor to the Sims? Not to mention that Cities Skylines was absolutely amazing and they're still coming out with fantastic content and updates to the game.

I feel like the "toxicity" of the community could potentially die down if we had some more options of what to play.

But I also resent being bulk-labelled a "toxic" community member for not supporting this new pack. My love for the Sims began in 2002, this game has literally been my life (without trying to sound too dramatic, lol), and I only want what is best for the franchise.

I wouldn’t call it „ages ago“. It’s still a topic in 2020. For those that don‘t know: Rod Humble is a former Executive VP for EA and led development on TS2 and TS3. He left EA in 2011 to become CEO of Linden Lab (Second Life) which he left in 2014 and in 2019 Paradox Interactive (Cities Skyline) announced that they‘re opening a new studio and Rod Humble is going to lead it. Given his history people are assuming that he‘ll work on a life simulation game.

https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/en/rod-humble-joins-paradox-interactive-as-lead-of-new-development-studio-in-california/

I really hope this is happening. EA needs competition so they don‘t take us for granted anymore.

I wouldn’t call it „ages ago“. It’s still a topic in 2020. For those that don‘t know: Rod Humble is a former Executive VP for EA and led development on TS2 and TS3. He left EA in 2011 to become CEO of Linden Lab (Second Life) which he left in 2014 and in 2019 Paradox Interactive (Cities Skyline) announced that they‘re opening a new studio and Rod Humble is going to lead it. Given his history people are assuming that he‘ll work on a life simulation game.

https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/en/rod-humble-joins-paradox-interactive-as-lead-of-new-development-studio-in-california/

I really hope this is happening. EA needs competition so they don‘t take us for granted anymore.

Oh nice, that's cool to hear. I'm glad it is still a topic of conversation!! I just meant that it was ages ago that I was on the forums reading about it :)

Not that Rod Humble was my favourite person - I preferred Will Wright's work haha. But at least he's got a bit of experience :smile:
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member

I agree with her too. I don't watch many gamechangers but I went back to YouTube and realized I've seen a few of her videos. 2020 is throwing me all off lol.

I think some competition is long overdue. I know some people think others of us just want The Sims franchise to crash and burn in flames or we want competition for them to improve then we'll come running right back to The Sims but besides the crashing and burning in flames thing being false for me, I am genuinely interested in a brand new life simulator game. It's not even that I ever left The Sims franchise either. I still play some of the older games. I just wouldn't mind another game to play.

I don't understand the toxic talk at all. Is that because it's an eco pack? :trollface:

But in all seriousness I see the word "toxic" get thrown around when all people are doing is voicing their dissatifaction. Is it mean sometimes? Yeah. I've seen this pack get roasted in other places and some of it may not be constructive but so what? Saying 'I love it' isn't exactly constructive either. It's just giving your opinion and though their opinion might be mean or rude, it's their opinion. It doesn't have to be constructive and in some cases people are getting tired of being constructive with their feedback and getting hardly any change or improvement in return. As long as no one is wishing physical harm to someone I think it's okay. They invested their time and money into a product they're dissatified with, the product being the game in general. I say let them speak their mind like anyone else who's neutral or loves this game.

And from what I've been seeing it's not even that people want or expect every single pack to be catered to them and it's an outrage that this one doesn't. I think everyone knows by now every pack isn't going to be their cup of tea. There's the request for farming of course, but usually the detailed complaint is they've wanted something fixed or improved since the base game, we're X amount of years in and yet here we are with another pack that does nothing to fix or improve the issue. And it usually goes back to the sims themselves or everyday life features they wish were in the game. Improve babies and make it where they aren't objects anymore. Give us more to do for elders (besides knitting, because contrary to popular belief everybody's grandma does not knit). Let the kids act like kids instead of little adults (unless they have a more mature personality). Improve teens. Improve adults, not young adults but adults.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
    I agree with her too. I don't watch many gamechangers but I went back to YouTube and realized I've seen a few of her videos. 2020 is throwing me all off lol.

I think some competition is long overdue. I know some people think others of us just want The Sims franchise to crash and burn in flames or we want competition for them to improve then we'll come running right back to The Sims but besides the crashing and burning in flames thing being false for me, I am genuinely interested in a brand new life simulator game. It's not even that I ever left The Sims franchise either. I still play some of the older games. I just wouldn't mind another game to play.

I don't understand the toxic talk at all. Is that because it's an eco pack? :trollface:

But in all seriousness I see the word "toxic" get thrown around when all people are doing is voicing their dissatifaction. Is it mean sometimes? Yeah. I've seen this pack get roasted in other places and some of it may not be constructive but so what? Saying 'I love it' isn't exactly constructive either. It's just giving your opinion and though their opinion might be mean or rude, it's their opinion. It doesn't have to be constructive and in some cases people are getting tired of being constructive with their feedback and getting hardly any change or improvement in return. As long as no one is wishing physical harm to someone I think it's okay. They invested their time and money into a product they're dissatified with, the product being the game in general. I say let them speak their mind like anyone else who's neutral or loves this game.

And from what I've been seeing it's not even that people want or expect every single pack to be catered to them and it's an outrage that this one doesn't. I think everyone knows by now every pack isn't going to be their cup of tea. There's the request for farming of course, but usually the detailed complaint is they've wanted something fixed or improved since the base game, we're X amount of years in and yet here we are with another pack that does nothing to fix or improve the issue. And it usually goes back to the sims themselves or everyday life features they wish were in the game. Improve babies and make it where they aren't objects anymore. Give us more to do for elders (besides knitting, because contrary to popular belief everybody's grandma does not knit). Let the kids act like kids instead of little adults (unless they have a more mature personality). Improve teens. Improve adults, not young adults but adults.

Yes exactly! I certainly don't want to see the Sims franchise die, not at all! But some competition might be good to show what other things could be done within this "life simulation" genre.

My little brother is currently coding a game with Unity (the game engine the Paralives team are using) and some of the things that are possible with that engine... absolutely amazing. So even just having a game built in a different engine could give us some really interesting alternatives.

And yeah, I don't own every single pack for the Sims 4 and there's some that I probably won't ever buy because hey, they're not really my thing. That's okay! That's not the issue I'm taking with this pack at all, it's that I feel like I already own this content and I feel like there's so many other avenues that could be explored other than this environmental niche. I've seen the "more gameplay for babies, kids, teens and elders" request, the "farming" request, and the "deeper personalities" request on this forum since the very early days of the Sims 4, and now that the "big expansions" are released and out of the way, I really can't see why this hasn't been addressed yet.

Haha I thought the same thing the other day about the "toxic" vs "eco" thing 🤣 Glad I'm not the only one.

• ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I just saw the gameplay trailer and I'm at a loss for words. I think it was even more repulsive than the first.

You know, I might not have even batted an eyelash at this pack if it were a gamepack for one, but also not so over the top. But no, they make this whole over exaggerated pack about saving the world from pollution through busy work, and to make it worse the gameplay is eating bugs, wearing clothes made from trash, living in homes basically made of trash, and and getting food from meat walls. And the ironic thing is the sims are doing all of this using giant machines which somehow aren't bad for the planet or causing pollution. I don't get it. Would it have killed the team to make a pack about eco living that was just a tad bit......normal?
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I just saw the gameplay trailer and I'm at a loss for words. I think it was even more repulsive than the first.

You know, I might not have even batted an eyelash at this pack if it were a gamepack for one, but also not so over the top. But no, they make this whole over exaggerated pack about saving the world from pollution through busy work, and to make it worse the gameplay is eating bugs, wearing clothes made from trash, living in homes basically made of trash, and and getting food from meat walls. And the ironic thing is the sims are doing all of this using giant machines which somehow aren't bad for the planet or causing pollution. I don't get it. Would it have killed the team to make a pack about eco living that was just a tad bit......normal?

But then normal =super boring. And people would be complaining about how boring it is. Like the first trailer seemed. Plus this would really take the rags to riches challenge to the next level! And a lot of simmers were asking for grunge. The giant machines are debatable 😅😂 I personally would have liked to see a more hands on approach with everything.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    Yea I don’t understand the obsession with giant machines. I guess it is easier to animate cuz every giant machine is the same. Sims just need to stand there pull a few levers and tap the screen. You can make any crafting stations using the same animations lol
  • EveryDaySimEveryDaySim Posts: 193 Member
    edited May 2020
    Don't forget the plastic pollution-sucking machine that was clearly made in an industrial factory somewhere.

There are things about the pack that I would like if it were done by a company that was capable of producing quality products.

But then again, there is such a logical disconnect ever-present in this current iteration that it's now becoming endless facepalm and mindboggle.
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    Let's talk about the game play trailer for a minute..
    What was that?! That voice actor was not the best choice and it sounded like she was reading a book to a bunch of toddlers. I feel insulted by EA, yet again. And it did not even show anything new as well, nothing to be exited about, nothing that changed my mind. Not a great job.

To be honest, I found it very hilarious that Paralives had a big reveal that day as well and the entire weekend I was excitingly waiting for Tuesday, not for The Sims and their repetitive gameplay trailer, but for the Parafolk review. Now, that exact feeling is what I used to have about The Sims when it wasn't so obvious that they just follow a political agenda and have no space in between to actually provide what the community really wants.
    I loved the video about Maggie and I even had some points to criticize on, but it is nothing like the vibe I get from The Sims each time they release a new pack, content or whatever. There is a huge difference between the two when it comes to their motives and intentions and the community will always pick up on that, knowingly or not, we will feel what is right.
    I just don't feel so much care and interest in The Sims anymore as the franchise is completely ruined. I don't see them changing it, cause of their motives behind it all. The Sims 5 will get a chance from me if it doesn't start off the same (or worse) as The Sims 4 did. But I probably won't stick around hoping and getting disappointed as much as I did for the last 5.5 years. I am done with this nonsense.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited May 2020
    My biggest issue is not the theme of the pack or the features. There are even some that I like. And listen every expansion pack is going to be something exciting, just for the mere reason of adding new features into the game, no matter how bad or good. We're always going to be excited about doing new things, even if that includes only a new place to go or a new object to interact with.

However this doesn't change the fact, that even though we might be excited for some new things, there is a lot more we could be getting in a 40$ expansion pack. I know I'm going to have fun at first with this pack but I'm sure it will leave a sour taste in my mouth after doing everything there is to do in less than 5 hours.

This one has very little replayability and for the theme that it has it could bring a lot more new and better ideas to the the Sims 4.
    And don't tell me to wait and see because it's been like that a lot of times in the past with the Sims 4.
    Post edited by SimmerGeorge on
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • rottmeisterrottmeister Posts: 192 Member
    edited May 2020
    It worries me they still haven't shown the pollution effects in other worlds, at all.

I have very low expectations for this pack, but I'm ready to be disappointed again. lol

Hardly seems it's worth 40 Euros. It feels like EA is just looking with what they can get away with.

I wish I'm wrong, but showing off reused animations as *big new features* in both trailers, rubs me the wrong way.

Also did I hear "weird flex" and "fire" in that second trailer?
    "How do you do, fellow kids?"

I should mention that I have nothing against the theme or the concept. It sounds fun, but just like most packs it will probably be half-baked and "missing" features will be offered in another pack.

Edit: Paralives do be looking good though...

Really hope Sims 4 turns things around soon. The recent poll really sparked hope for me. Story progression?! Yes please!!!
  • FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    It worries me they still haven't shown the pollution effects in other worlds, at all.

I have very low expectations for this pack, but I'm ready to be disappointed again. lol

Hardly seems it's worth 40 Euros. It feels like EA is just looking with what they can get away with.

I wish I'm wrong, but showing off reused animations as *big new features* in both trailers, rubs me the wrong way.

I should mention that I have nothing against the theme or the concept. It sounds fun, but just like most packs it will probably be half-baked and "missing" features will be offered in another pack.

Really hope Sims 4 turns things around soon. The recent poll really sparked hope for me. Story progression?! Yes please!!!

I have been seeing this phrase a lot in the comment section and often joked about or cringed at, so I had to look it up.
    *facepalm*
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member

They said they’ll show that in the live stream today.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

edited May 2020

Heard there would be a livestream today, but can't seem to find what time they'll stream? Do you have an idea?

If they didn't show the pollution effects in the stream, that'd be pretty sad considering it's supposed to be a selling point...
    As I said, I'm keeping my expectations low, as I've been doing these past few years. Out of experience I know I'll probably be disappointed again, lol.

I just think the quality of the packs have been dwindling over the years. I don't know if this is due technical limitations or something, but I find it unacceptable that packs of past Sims games have featured more and imo better/complete content.

I haven't been as excited as I used to be when Sims 3 packs were announced or even the Sims 4 basegame. It definitely isn't because I aged because I still lose my mind/get really excited over new stuff in other games.

This franchise has been a big part of my childhood and I don't like the direction it's taking atm.
    The game feels like a big money grab to me. How many dlc packs do we have already? We're nearing the 30, that's just insane!
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member

Heard there would be a livestream today, but can't seem to find what time they'll stream? Do you have an idea?

If they didn't show the pollution effects in the stream, that'd be pretty sad considering it's supposed to be a selling point...
    As I said, I'm keeping my expectations low, as I've been doing these past few years. Out of experience I know I'll probably be disappointed again, lol.

I just think the quality of the packs have been dwindling over the years. I don't know if this is due technical limitations or something, but I find it unacceptable that packs of past Sims games have featured more and imo better/complete content.

I haven't been as excited as I used to be when Sims 3 packs were announced or even the Sims 4 basegame. It definitely isn't because I aged because I still lose my mind/get really excited over new stuff in other games.

This franchise has been a big part of my childhood and I don't like the direction it's taking atm.
    The game feels like a big money grab to me. How many dlc packs do we have already? We're nearing the 30, that's just insane!

Livestream is at 11pst :)

2PM eastern time, and there’s a pinned thread for the livestream discussion 😊

edited May 2020
    Thanks! <3
    @AquaGamer1212
    @Akl500P

Edit: Okay, so that's 8PM for me.
    Post edited by rottmeister on
    Thanks! <3

Welcome! 🥰

edited May 2020
    I have been seeing this phrase a lot in the comment section and often joked about or cringed at, so I had to look it up.
    *facepalm*

I have used it before, but this seemed like the wrong context to use it. Which makes it even more cringy...
    Usually the "weird flex, but okay" phrase is used to mock things/people in a light hearted way (most of the time).

On another forum I've seen someone use the "my pc is worth more than your house" argument and that's when I would use that meme phrase.

"Nox is a real advocate for eco lifestyle, weird flex, I know". Considering the narrative, why would the narator downplay an eco lifestyle when she strives to do it herself? Seems hypocritical, no?

"Fire" I have not used in that context in AGES, maybe like half a decade ago? idk