Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Do You Prefer to Play The Sims- Vanilla/Mods/CC?

Comments

• BrandontaylorBrandontaylor Posts: 4,764 Member
    Mods & CC
    It really depends. I mainly just use in NRaas mods but occasionally download cc. I am playing on an old laptop so I can’t overload on cc. The NRaas mods seem to help my game, that is the reason for them. Are use a custom skin as well as different eyes as well. By the way, this is for Sims 3. For Sims 4, mainly just CC.
  • MadTinkerer_101_MadTinkerer_101_ Posts: 6 New Member
    Vanilla
    The sims franchise is about the only installment of video games that I can play without mods because it’s made so perfect and with all the dlc there is really nothing for me to want a mod.only mod I ever considered was when I was a teen playing this game wanting a nudity mod that removed the blur.Lol
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Can’t really do the poll. I played Sims 3 vanilla for years. Those were the years that I was completely addicted to the game and I obviously didn’t need CC or mods for that to happen. That being said, I’m very happy with the mods and CC I have now. I couldn’t imagine to play without them anymore.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    Mods
    I play with a minimal amount of mods, usually just NRaas for TS3 and MCCC for TS4.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    CC
    Depends on game setting style. Contemporary gets vanilla, while period gaming gets appropriate CC. I've a couple of saves that are for experiments, so get CC of that nature. I avoid mods as EA is constantly breaking them, though am aware of how much they contribute for many, have made appropriate notes, so may try once the problem ends.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    Mods & CC
    I only use a little cc, mainly for themed saves (Oldwest, inspired by other games etc.), and could play without them perfectly well.

Mods are a different story, I delay updating The Sims and sometimes even purchasing packs I want until I have made sure that my favorite mods are compatible with the new game version.
  • AyKooChaoAyKooChao Posts: 676 Member
    Mods
    But only MCCC for now. After the last patch is released, though...

I've seen a few mods that I'd love to use (e.g. Slice of Life), but I don't want to have to worry about updating everything every time a new patch comes out. I know I could probably remove MCCC without any issues if I had to, but I don't know about any other mods.
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,289 Member
    edited March 2020
    Mods & CC
    I played Sims2 vanilla because Boolprop scared the beejeebies out of me and I didn't wish to injure my computer, nor my game. I learned to use Mods come Sims3, when I lost my favorite Sim in WA. My Rock Star was on his honeymoon in one of the worlds (been too long to recall which one) and I couldn't get the couple back home. The game would constantly crash on me. Twallen, himself, posted in my thread about it and offered a solution to my problem, Bless him! My desire to get my Sims back overrode my fears of the unknown and I installed his Traveler mod. As he explained it WA had issues 'shaking hands' with the rest of the game. Now, that's a major league error on the part of the designers. This was their game, all parts should work in harmony with the other parts, no? At any rate, I ended up using close to, if not exactly, 20 of his Mods to help stabilize the game, and to fix the horrendous Story Progression.

I have to admit I was slow to introducing mods in Sims4. But then came Sacrificial's Road to Fame mod. I missed my singer Sim so badly that I was willing to see what this mod would do toward that end. I figured I would just have to fake it in some manner or other. And my Sim was gaining recognition for his Simstagram account, so there was his 'fame'. Then we got a full-fledged singing skill with CL. Now, I just needed a way to have him sing in public before his Simstagram public and I could use MCCC to add money to his family account. I still had a ways to go to sorting this out when we got word that GF was being released and very soon, too. I uninstalled RTF, thinking it was no longer needed and mentioned I had done so on a thread. Somebody was so kind to inform me there was a new version of this mod that included Professional Singer! Now, I love GF and the celebrity system is so much better than in Sims3, but singers aren't really recognized, or at least not very often. I'm told by others it's a random thing for a musician to receive a Starlight Accolade for a song written.

But, unless there's an addition to GF, this gives me back my singer Sim. I can't and won't play without mods anymore. As for cc, I do play an ancestral game save set in the 18th century. And although, we didn't have anything like a phone or computer in that time frame, I make due and have fun. I've recently come across some of the older cc I used in the past, but also some newer stuff. Like the linen cap the women wore I could never find before. I am one happy camper.
    Post edited by GalacticGal on
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Vanilla
    I prefer to play vanilla when the game is still offering new content. I dont like to have to take it all out and wait for upgrades after a patch or pack is released. But when the game is done i then look for mods and cc that fit and improve my gameplay. So, i play sims 4 vanilla (havent played for months, almost a year now...) and play 3 with mods and cc.
  • SintheaSinthea Posts: 29 Member
    Mods & CC
    I have a few main mods I use, MCC and UI and such and a handful of CC stuff packs. Mostly I'll use CC and Mods to fix something missing from the game in my opinion. A under the counter mini fridge, a sink/toilet combo, washer/dryers snapping under counters, bunk beds and such. I've got smaller mods for preschool, changing the cost of university and smaller things like that.
    It's just one of those days...
    Remaking the Apocalypse Challenge
  • Travioli74Travioli74 Posts: 10 New Member
    Mods
    I'm a total mods and cc guy. Mainly because I find vanilla gets boring quickly. Once I've played a family through a couple generations, there isn't anything different a new family can add. I absolutely love adding mods and CC even though it does a little longer to load. I am currently playing the great great great grandson of my first Sims 4 family after a long break between each. New mods make the game much more interesting for me. If I may I'd like to brag on my favorite mod Road to Fame. I absolutely love becoming some of the elite celebrities in town.
  • ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    Mods
    I use mods mostly to weed out annoyances, not really to change the gameplay.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited February 2020
    Mods & CC
    I often play TS3 with mods and CCs because it's so flexible that you can basically turn it into other different genres. With certain mods, I've been able to turn it into a hitman/stealth/assassin type game, a zombie apocalypse survival game, and a corny romance concerning angels and demons.

One of the mods I almost always install is Zerbu's Ultimate Careers mod because I love turning all the rabbit hole careers, whether made by Maxis or fan-made, into active careers. That's what I play most of the time since there are so many careers for TS3. Then I add furniture (and other build/buy stuff), skill-building objects, uniforms and other clothing according to the active career I want my sim to work.

But once in a while, I will play the base game totally vanilla just to be able to re-experience the wonder and awe that I first felt when I started playing TS3. Yes, the first time was really THAT amazing for me!
  • xLunaSimsxxLunaSimsx Posts: 6,719 Member
    Mods & CC
    I play all my Sims games with both mods & cc.

Some of the mods I like to use are mods that allow me to manipulate the game fully, such as Nraas mods like MasterController and all of the other little modules. In any game, I enjoy looking for mods that allow me to overstuff a household, because I definitely would like more than 8 sims in my household sometimes. I wish they'd increase that limit to 10 or so in the base game, but until then, I'll use mods.

I love to use CC because it lets me make my Sims & their houses prettier. I use CC for almost everything, I can't remember the last time I played Vanilla.
    MPy9H9S.gif
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,881 Member
    Mods & CC
    TS1: a metric ton of CC, mostly Build/Buy, some skins. We had our own CC site too, so lots of stuff from there. We just called them downloads, and the mods were programs. Used some for creating and f.ex SimCamera for screenshots.

TS2: Build/buy CC mostly

TS3: Mods. Many Nraas Mods.

TS4: CC: 1 set of DIY showers, skin overlay and bodyhair. Mods: UIcheats, MCCC, The-One-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named, SimInfo, many from Bienchen and LittleMsSam, numerous ones to deal with the many annoyances in game
  • gothiclolitaplgothiclolitapl Posts: 94 Member
    Mods
    i like to use some mods to add additional features or tune small aspects of the game, but im not one for using cc. to me it feels like too much fuss to go about downloading all these hairs and clothes and maybe even furniture, as it makes it much harder when you make houses for the gallery. the only 'cc' i use is skin and eye default replacement, which all it does it small adjustments to the original texture that isnt exactly realistic, but just slightly more detailed since the sims 4 visuals are very cartoony
    Origin ID: blackrosespl
    My tumblr: https://blackrose-p-sims.tumblr.com/
  • Lorna08Lorna08 Posts: 98 Member
    Mods
    I played The Sims 4 vanilla for all this time (2014-2020) and now that I have mods it makes it SO much ENJOYABLE. The vanilla gameplay is a bit slow for my liking - I never really sped up time through tasks. I might try some CC in the future but for now I'm happy with my mods that speed up Skills and Needs.
    y7Kh4Ip.png
    Follow me on (S)imstagram @SimmerLorna
  • lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,761 Member
    edited May 2020
    Mods & CC
    When I first started playing The Sims which was TS2 on PS2 about 14 years ago, I progressed to the PC version of The Sims then onto TS2 for the PC. So I have played all of them. I didn't even know a community, mods, or cc was a thing until about 2012 when I was looking up something about TS2 online and saw all these post about custom food for bakeries and OFB. I started playing TS3 again in 2013 (hated it when it first came out). I started using cc to spruce up my Sims, but not many mods, other than Twallan's to make the game less laggy, like in Isla Praadiso where my main Sim lived and I wrote a story for nearly two years. It was imperative that the lag wasn't bad in that world. Other than just CAS cc and Twallan's mods, I saw no reason to use mods because TS3 provided me with endless possibilities for storytelling and gameplay.

Well come end of 2016 City Living came out and decided to take the plunge to the dark side (yes I'm a Star Wars nerd) I got all the TS4 Packs out at the time for $100 on sale. Since that time, there would be months of gaps of me not playing the game and needing what I call "practical" everyday mods to make the game tolerable, like MCCC and mods my Little Ms Sam that offered features that weren't out of the norm for the Sims as far as gameplay goes. I now use mods to either make my Sims stop being so happy go lucky and responding inappropriately to certain sad situations. I don't like that they would fight or experience the death of a pet and they go into their beautifully decorated living room and be fine. The mods I use now only enhance the gameplay that is there or makes Sims less annoying and less stupid. I don't even know how many mods I use now because I use that many just to make the game tolerable. Many are bug fixes or just offer more fun things that make sense for your Sims.

I never had to use mods to play TS1 or TS2 to make the game fun. TS2 was the most fun I had playing the game, but TS3 is my overall favorite because my main Sim at the center of my Sims universe was born in that game and her story sparked many other stories and Sims in my game. Like I said only mods I needed in TS3 were CAS mods to make my Sims look better and to help with lag in IP. But for TS4 I could not play this game without my mods. Other than MCCC I dont use major mods that add things don't exists in the Sims. But this game would be for me unplayable without mods like just about everything from Little Ms Sam, several of Biechiens, Kawaii Stacie SOL & Explore mods and Midnitetech's custom careers that allow my Sims to have regular jobs like most people in real life do. Most people aren't astronauts or secret agents, etc. I like the blue collar jobs, or the office clerk, mechanic, etc. I use all these just to give consequence to my game and make it more realistic.

So this is my long attempt at answering the question do you use mods, the answer is yes. And I have all packs, but don't use gameplay with all.

I must say though, I love the CAS and B&B assets in TS4 so much. There's a lot of variety and I don't have to use as much cc objects in my game. But I prob would use even less if we had the color wheel. :)
  • MarmaladeJadeMarmaladeJade Posts: 108 Member
    Mods
    I just started out with playing with mods. MCCC, LilMissSam, SimmyTime and Srsly's mods have made a huge difference with how I have been playing. The only downside is I was dumb enough to make a sim and marry her to Caleb (cooking is wasted on vampires...)
  • SuzyCue72SuzyCue72 Posts: 526 Member
    Vanilla
    I've been playing almost exclusively vanilla so far, it seems to be the safest way.

I did try some third party CC a few years ago, (in a separate user folder, after a Factory Reset) but it was a 100 % negative experience so I don't plan on doing it again any time soon. And since I have all the EP's, SP's (including Katy Perry Sweet Treats, ha ha) and everything from the Store there's simply no room left for any more clothes or items.

Mods I've never tried yet, maybe I will some day, who knows...
  • SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    Mods & CC
    All the sims franchise is too much empty without additions.
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    Mods & CC
    It depends on the game, or what I'm doing.Like with sims 4 I need mods to play the game.With three I can do vanilla.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    Vanilla
    I'll wait until it is finished and then might add some after. I loved all the CC for Sims1 and 2 and I've got a lot of it on CDs, got into a mess with Sims 3 with terrible lags, so even with a gaming PC now I'm wary.

I think all the cries for help here made EA move the help into Answers to get rid of them all.
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 642 Member
    edited May 2020
    Mods & CC
    TS2 is so well done, I see no reason to need mods. The 2009 Double Deluxe version works well, though I can't get the Graphics Rules mod or even changing the files to give me a resolution better than 800X600. That gives me no problem on my cheap and somewhat out-of-date Acer monitor from 2015 whose standard is 1024x768, but during the time I had that desktop hooked up to a 24" Samsung Smart TV (when its replacement was giving me a fit; which I still haven't fixed), it wouldn't support that low of a resolution. And I am sure the same would happen with a modern PC monitor of similar size. I also have the Fiat Punto, which is kind of "official" CC.

TS3: I have a few things, mostly just NRass and a few mods that help it run more efficiently, faster, and not crash on newer computers.

TS4: Hoo boy, I don't know where to start. My Mods folder is huge, usually hovering around a Gig or so. And on a half worn out mid-end 2015 Asus that is sometimes a headache, that can be trouble. From MCCC to major script mods to fix stuff that EA left out, that makes Sims more in-depth, to features that add even more realism and depth; and uh, that certain mod that we can't mention here by name. I don't use a whole lot of CC clothing. I had a bunch that came bundled with Sims I'd downloaded outside of the Gallery and I deleted it as a lot of it either was intended for Sims that used skins, or just plain trashy looking. I think the only thing I have now is a set of firefighter turnout gear, which the game itself doesn't have. But, due to limited tasteful (by my standards) choices, I am reconsidering it. Custom skins and makeup I avoid, entirely. While some need a lot of rework, some Sims that used custom skins look quite good without it. Albeit, custom skins do help Sims look more photorealistic instead of cartoon characters. Mainly because it has resulted in things such as missing faces and eyes and tongues floating in front of the head.