Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

More Traits Needed: Carl's Guide

Comments

• CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I love Carl. Thanks for posting this.

I agree with him and I'd like to see those traits that we do have that do nothing, do more of something. Adding more traits won't help anything if what we already have is broken or useless. I'd love to see TS4 do a traits over haul and make them more relevant. I'd go back and revisit some traits I've already tried and it would be like a whole new game. I think this game really needs this. They hinted around that they were thinking about it if that survey we did at the beginning of the year was any indication of a plan forward with them.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • iceycaticeycat Posts: 9 New Member
    Good points. Traits also need a low medium or high setting too. You're actively battling some of your sims issues multiple times a day which is a bit excessive. Maybe have a setting for how frequently a given trait actually influences behavior. Like do we really need to be demon possessed level OCD every day about the traits?
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Thank you for posting the video! Nothing like some hard numbers to clarify and proove what we've been saying all along, roughly half the traits and those we do have do less than their predecessors. Step 1fix what we have, step 2 add more so we have enough to work with, both in the number to choose from and how many per sim - and not just the adults, children and teens are getting hosed on this. Step 3 wold be some sort of intensity system for both the old and the new. Sims 2 could do it, so no excuse for 4 not having it.
  • DuendeDuende Posts: 175 Member
    Hey I watched this video too on YouTube and I agree 100%.
  • Andyzhang2896Andyzhang2896 Posts: 58 Member
    Camkat wrote: »

I agree with him and I'd like to see those traits that we do have that do nothing, do more of something. Adding more traits won't help anything if what we already have is broken or useless. I'd love to see TS4 do a traits over haul and make them more relevant. I'd go back and revisit some traits I've already tried and it would be like a whole new game. I think this game really needs this. They hinted around that they were thinking about it if that survey we did at the beginning of the year was any indication of a plan forward with them.

Which survey did you talk about? Is it the same one as the winter activity survey?
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    Camkat wrote: »

Which survey did you talk about? Is it the same one as the winter activity survey?

Yeah. The problem with this survey though, was that it surveyed too much and it allowed for us to literally say yes to everything. I'm sure some of it will not get looked at but I hope the aspirations and the personalities do get some attention.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    Possibly not on topic but, I think that your sim should develop traits based on what you make it do over time, and possibly even pass one of those traits onto their kids.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,836 Member
    Rosysimmer wrote: »
    Possibly not on topic but, I think that your sim should develop traits based on what you make it do over time, and possibly even pass one of those traits onto their kids.

That's a wonderful idea! And you wouldn't find out what the trait is until they aged to child.
  • Placebo7Placebo7 Posts: 107 Member

YES, like, in TS2 there was a system kind of like this, where you could encourage certain traits in children and that would add or subtract personality points from that trait. I would have loved to see something even MORE robust than that, where what happens to a person in life plays a role in forming personality. That would have been awesome. Instead, they just decided to go with no personality at all.
  • Jon the WizardJon the Wizard Posts: 268 Member
    Maybe implement drawbacks and flaws?
  • smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Would love more traits and ability to have more than 3 at a time, too hard to make sims different when there just aren't enough options or the ability to have more than 3
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member

I’d love this. Combine it with interests, and it could work very well!
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member

It's an interesting idea, but for me it wouldn't work. I play many, many Sims in my game and I give them traits because I want to see those traits play out. If I create a lazy Sim, I don't want to have to train him to be lazy, I want to plunk him into the game and see that he's lazy on his own.

Honestly, I feel like that's kinda what Sims 4 does now. It makes us train our Sims to fit their traits because the traits don't play out on their own. So we would have the exact same problem we do now if traits developed over time; all Sims would start out the same blank slate, acting no different than each other unless the player directs them to do what they want. I wouldn't want this at all. What's the point of creating a Sim in CAS if they're not going to exhibit any personality?

As for children inheriting traits, I don't think that's a bad idea, but I think there should also be a way for them to manifest their own personalities independent of their parents. Again, so that Sims don't end up too samey and repetitive.
    #Team Occult
  • NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    I would love more traits that have an impact on the mood of the Sims and what actions/interactions they perform and as mentioned in Carl's video, make them better or worse at something. A few examples to show what I mean:

Daredevil – First impulse is to seek out thrill and danger. E.g. standing on swings instead of sitting, running outside in thunderstorms and blizzards, challenging vampires to fights, using the rock climbing wall at the gym. Also should have unique romantic interactions like being able to attempt more daring interactions with little or no romance bar which may or may not succeed

Coward – Should actually not be able to do certain things out of fear like using the swingset or the rock climbing wall. In the presence of any supernaturals they should have a moodlet „sensing danger“, they are not able to extinguish fires because they run in fear and cannot be directed to return

Minimalist – this would be inspired by the TS3 ‚Can’t stand art‘ trait. Mainly, Sims are excluded from any positive moodlets regarding decoration and can even get a negative moodlet from rooms with too much decorations. But they do enjoy high-end usable objects

Technophobe – hate having and using computers or mobile phones. Some interactions can be completed without them (e.g. travelling by clicking on the map key, bills by using the mailbox), but if they have to use them they will have a random negative moodlet (sad, uncomfortable, embarrassed or angry) during and for a couple of hours after

Handy – quicker at learning handiness skill and rocket science skill and making upgrades and repairs. Any handiness action increases fun.
    And perhaps other traits that are related to skills building and enjoyment like the wellness and photography skill

Frankly, I agree with Carl, it is too late into this iteration to make major changes to personalities, but adding traits that have an impact on behaviour could go a long way to making Sims feel more unique.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...