Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are we forgetting the original sims?

Don't get me wrong, but I have a feeling EA games and also the players don't give sims 1 enough credit. For example, when people rank the games sims 1 is almost at place number 4. Why is that? And also, why didn't EA make an up to date TS1 version for origin? With a new generation simmers and EA not minding TS1 at all I am scared that the sims 1 will not be playable more in 5 years and it will just be memories in our minds.

Will EA ever make an attempt to make sims 1 available for download at origin?

Comments

• texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    I loved sims 1 with all my heart. It was the first game and how my sims addiction started. But i don't think i'ld have fun playing it now mostly because sims don't age.
  • DeadManHBKDeadManHBK Posts: 117 Member
    It still one of my preferred versions. I will admit, Sims 3 is my #1 choice simply because of how much you can do on it, but The Sims 1 will always be one of my top choices out of the different versions. It is what made me fall in love wit this game.
    500c175dfecfd4bfdb430b6ae61d85abc33cef98_hq.gif

A n a l Na t h r a c h D o c h e'l D e'n m h a
    A n a l Na t h r a c h T i e r a N a t r a c h...
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    I like it a lot. I think its the most difficult of the series. I wish they'd put sims 2 and 1 on origin
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I loved that game. If it was released again I'd 100% buy it to have another go for nostalgia reasons for sure! I'd appreciate the chance to pop back in and play it once in awhile.

Unfortunately though, I always do rank it last on surveys and such because, I'd probably love it for about 2 days then I'd be back on another version. It was great fun for it's time but the improvements made over the next versions just make it hard to play for any length of time. Mainly because they don't age. Once your sim is all skilled up and you've played through all packs, then what? For me I play families and generations of them now. Once I'm kind of done with parents, I get them a child and start making a new amazing sim and it brings my interest back in all over again.

All respect to sims 1 though. Truely. We wouldn't be here if it wasn't for them.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • LadysimPlayer8LadysimPlayer8 Posts: 775 Member
    Funnily enough my ranking is the order the Sim Franchise was released. :

I can't believe I have playing for 16 years. Wow!
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    edited May 2020
    I don't think anyone forgets. It's just time marches on. Sims 1, while a good game in its own right, is vastly different from Sims 2. Some machines also can't play it. I have a 2006 game (not Sims) that won't run on my new computer. I assume the issue is compatibility, or the game is simply too old to run anymore.
    Post edited by KayeStar on
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • 4xel4xel Posts: 34 Member
    The Sims series wouldn't exist without the pioneering masterpiece that was The Sims, but it wouldn't have survived either if the sequels had not been able to top it off.

I think we would be very unfortunate if a 20 yo game with the least funding, programming experience and community feedback of the 4 was the best of the series. Like series killing unfortunate.
  • 4xel4xel Posts: 34 Member
    Now you could make a point that some very old games like AoE2 are still playable, but they're never really been topped off, and the developpement process hasn't stopped for that long.

Even if you remaster TheSims to be 3d and as beautiful as TS4, would it still be TS if you add aging? And if you don't, does it stands a chance when trying to compare to TS2 and onward?
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    I still play TS1, but I do have an old XP machine that keeps on chugging along. My main difficulty is the limited camera. You can go in only so far and have only 4 viewing angles. That said, that was the norm for the era and a lot better than in some games at the time. Games, any game, need to be judged according to what was possible in their day, not in comparison to later. How good a game was/is it with the technology available.

I can remember when computer games were strictly text, and were astoundingly popular.
  • CelebrityWizardCelebrityWizard Posts: 132 Member
    I absolutely love The Sims, Superstar and Makin' Magic are my all time favourite expansions/DLCs of all gaming. But comparing The Sims 1 to the future games is just hard. The constant needs management making you visit community lots for like 5 minutes before you have to go back home, and all the systems that were done much more better in future games. I do play it every now and then for the nostalgia and just seeing the fun stuff. But it's much more older so it becomes really dated.

There's also the fact that a lot of the sims players are young people, Sims 3 and Sims 4 introduce the sims to a whole new generation and it's become one of the best selling franchises of all gaming because of that, and so a lot of younger people won't really know or care about the first game and just put it at 4.

On the question on if they'll make it downloadble for origin again i believe it won't unless they have to remove a bunch of stuff that was liscensed E.G: Music, NPCs from Superstar, etc. Seeing how the Sims 2 got removed off of the store and only resurfaced for a free download i believe it just might be liscensing but also the sheer fact they're older games and work on older programming.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    I bought a MySims DVD disc from Amazon where many reviewers said that it won't work on Windows 10. But I bought it anyway and registered it in Origin. When I did that, I was able to download and install an version of MySims that actually works on Windows 10!

Also, I own original discs of The Sims 2 and was able to get The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection from Origin and that, of course, works on Windows 10. There's also tutorials and files for it on the internet so that it will work with newer graphics cards.

I totally agree that sims' needs in TS1 decay pretty quickly, so here are mods to help you with those motives!

So I think if you can still find Sims 1 (pretty expensive though since EA hasn't officially re-released it) and Sims 2 and register them on Origin, you'll be able to download working versions of them on the newer computers.

• bluelightingbluelighting Posts: 704 Member
    there's only two things i can think of that i miss. one i could swear that sims whistled at other sims as they walked by. two, i miss sims 2 slow dance and the little dip the did. only thing i remember liking. i hated the pets in that one.
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    I won't forget, I still play it occasionally. I still have tons of CC and programs for it too.

I'll be really pessimistic here and say I don't think they will ever "re-master" TS1 and add it to Origin. Do I think they have abandoned it? Most likely. EA is very welcome to prove me wrong, though.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I mean, it's fine I guess, but compared to the other games where we can actually play through generation and have details on what they look like? No, I would never play TS1 again.
  • TrowiciaTrowicia Posts: 2,027 Member
    Hard to forget it considering some soundtracks make it into my daily music playlist.
    // take me back to 2018.
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    edited May 2020
    I always rank Sims 1 as the #1 Sims game in surveys. If EA turned out an updated version of Sims 1,I imagine lots of people would want to play it. As for me,I loved it that the Sims didn't age(That's why I always had aging off in my Sims 4 game)-I could create my very own stories with Sims 1. Just imagine-if an updated Sims 1 Complete Collection came out,I'd buy it in a heartbeat and create new and exciting stories.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    Jinkx wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, but I have a feeling EA games and also the players don't give sims 1 enough credit. For example, when people rank the games sims 1 is almost at place number 4. Why is that? And also, why didn't EA make an up to date TS1 version for origin? With a new generation simmers and EA not minding TS1 at all I am scared that the sims 1 will not be playable more in 5 years and it will just be memories in our minds.

Will EA ever make an attempt to make sims 1 available for download at origin?

I love Sims 1-3 much better than Sims 4. I love Sims 2 and 3 best but only slightly more than Sims 1. My dad got me into Sims 1 because he knew how much I loved the original SimCity and when Sims 1 came out and he played it a bit he let me know about the game and I've loved the franchise since.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2020
    No, it's not forgotten. It's the standard by which we all judge any magic in later games, because of Makin' Magic and fame and entertainment careers because of Superstar.

It's the standard of why many of us feel the Sim series should have stuck with the motive system rather than a moodlet system. Or a lame buff system.

It's the standard by which we judge Pets and beg a pet show and competitions return to the series along with trainers and other things left out of some of the series later in newer games.

It's the standard by which we judge if the games have become too easy peasy, granted The Sims was hard. I don't think Generation z or whomever would enjoy it these days. But veteran Simmers know how hard TS1 was and we judge whether the games have become too easy and or watered down too much by the standards of dire consequences in The Sims original base.

It's not forgotten when we know we could layer clothes in that game but not since then, and or photoskin any face onto any Sim head that has never returned within the games.

It's the reason we judge Sims' behaviors and reactions to any sort of situation and seeing nothing but joker grins in TS4.

No, I wouldn't say we have forgotten it at all. It's the standard and basis of why we look to newer games to see how much they stick to the roots of the formula or not. People often say they didn't have control, of course they did, because situations were always triggered by the player and not linear or inevitable.

But when MS patched Windows 7 to disable being able to install the cds into the pcs without enabling a particular driver installed from older games' cds. (by going around that patch or removing the MS patch) which can lead to some hacker being able to compromise your pc people could no longer reinstall it. And Windows 10 didn't just disable that type of driver on the cds but made it part of it's OS to not allow that to be installed at all. So, players have to put it aside unless they do a work around to reinstall that driver or .dll and risk exposure to a vunerablity in their pcs which could lead to hacking of a person's pc. MS wants to make sure you can't play cds or dvds and stick with digital downloads. About like saying gadgets (weather bug gadget is one) in Windows 7 were a bad idea then turn around and sell you apps in Windows 10. It's all by design to end the cd/dvd productions of all games and or programs.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    And movies. But for my trusty old XP machine I'd be up goose creek without paddle in leaky canoe. It's all about control and profits.
  • SIMileyFaceSIMileyFace Posts: 49 Member
    I'll never forget the Sims 1. I have so much nostalgia for that game as it introduced me to the entire sims world. I remember playing it in 2004, and then being super excited when the sims 2 was released...the sims 2 will always be my favourite I think though, because that's when I became so obsessed with the game.
  • rottmeisterrottmeister Posts: 192 Member
    I have never really played Sims 1, only once when I visited a neighbour.

The main reason I haven't played it, is because the Sims franchise is basically the same age as me. I would've only been a few months old, I believe.

And I grew up with The Sims 2, so there wasn't really a reason for me to go to an earlier game.

So if I were to make a ranking, Sims 1 definitely wouldn't be on top, bc I have never really played it.
  • simlicious2015simlicious2015 Posts: 373 Member
    Love, love loveee The Sims. I am actually in the process of finding a moniter that would be compatible with my older gateway computer. I love the furniture and everything, though, I dont think i would be able to play as long like i would Ts2 or ts4
  • AloeVistaAloeVista Posts: 326 Member
    I will NEVER Forget the original Sims. All of the crazy stuff I did on it set the tone for all of the fun I was able to have in the rest of the series. I just wish I could still play it; I still have all my copies of all the EPs and the base. So far I've fallen in love with each game in the franchise EXCEPT Sims 4. Sims 4 is the worst. Sims 3, 2, and 1 though...so good.
    rvbRMVD.jpg
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    I liked it but it was very repetitive and simplistic compared to things that came after so.. I think progress has been made even if 4 foes suffer pretty fatally from Sims having no real personalities of their own. Getting them to have that instead of being mostly blank and interchangeable would be great. But could I still have fun with Sims1 now? For nostalgia, maybe.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • BohoFlowerBohoFlower Posts: 143 Member
    I'll never ever forget TS1 and how it changed my life, i wouldn't play it again though cos of their Needs being too hard to tend to but it's like Star Trek or Stargate where the first was a great idea but didn't work out too great but the predecessors are SO much better, although personally i'd never play TS3 but the music of TS1 is what we get nostalgic about the most and will never forget how Creative and Genius it is, TS2s music isn't bad either but nothing can compare to TS1s music, it's just one of those things that took the world by storm and changed everything, TS2 though REALLY got me into the game LOL.

Newer younger players just don't understand cos they can't play it and now for the younger people it will be about acquiring Packs again even when you clearly don't need them so much for the game as we did in TS2 and they're just more for fun again like TS1, and they keep adding to the game cos Maxis is SO much nicer :D lol, i guess they could just watch some Gameplay but they don't play it with music in case of copyright so they couldn't possibly experience it in full how we did. To all the younger players though enjoy The Sims 4 and slow down a bit with it and enjoy every inch of it because the sims are simpler again like TS2 and it feels quite classic sims again so you're experiencing some of the magic for sure.