Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why does everybody hate the idea of multiplayer in TS5?

Comments

• Options
    jonilla1jonilla1 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Simcity 2013...that's all.
    Origin EA ID: Xaldin257 Friend requests are welcome.

Some of my creations in the gallery use CC so remember to enable them in the gallery's options to see them all.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited May 2020
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »
    Because Sims community hates anyone who is different

Wait, what???? Where did that come from? That is so far out of left field and doesn't represent any of the reasons people have politely given in this thread.

Also it's worth noting, that some Simmers on here have (also politely) expressed why they would like multiplayer.
    Any opinion that is deemed "negative" is shut down instantly. People don't want things like religion or cultures or genders or illnesses represented in the game. With a MMO you can't change who people are or how they dress like Simmers do with Sims. People will practice their beliefs and charities and businesses online with friends and passer bys and talk about things happening in their lives because that is how MMOs and chat spaces work so it will be in the game. Chat spaces are in real time, no censoring and game rating would have to be raised to mature for chatting and conversations. With how safe the Sims 4 is without consequences if it anything like the Sims Mobile or Sims Freeplay there won't be deaths in the game or aging although the Sims Mobile did add aging and all the event achievements earned on that character goes away when they die. Modding and CC will go away too.

Plus it is risky what happened with EA Land:
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_eye/2015/02/18/the_sims_online_ea_land_what_happens_when_an_online_game_goes_dark_on_99.html

"When EA Games pulled the plug on the server, bits and pieces of the world started disappearing. The environment began to disintegrate. The texture on the trees flickered. All the people froze and blinked out of existence.

The last thing they saw was a blue pop-up window: “Network Error—Lost server connection.”"

https://onyxangelsblog.wordpress.com/2017/06/08/why-the-sims-online-failed/

They charged $10 a month and only gave $15 in return when the game shut down.
    Post edited by Scobre on
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    SuperCoolRachaelSuperCoolRachael Posts: 392 Member
    What others have said. In my case, I'm concerned that more time and resources spent on multiplayer means less time and resources spent on what I love about the Sims--wants/wishes/whims, Sims with personality, goal and challenge oriented play (without having to rely on other people). All of these were either severely lacking (the first two, especially when we stopped getting new whims!) or reduced to a gimmick in future DLC (the last one, where aspirations became more like a tutorial and grew super easy).

I have never enjoyed online and/or multiplayer play in any of my favorite series. I don't really have a problem with their being an option, but I don't want it to come at the cost of making a good game overall. So while I'm not 100% against the idea, I have seen games, even other EA games, be devoured by multiplayer mode. It's just not something I want to happen to one of my favorite series.
  • Options
    SheepilingSheepiling Posts: 579 Member
    I don't want it to be multi-player because this is EA, and if it becomes multi-player then it's going to be micro-transaction hell. Just look at Sims Mobile. I don't trust them to make a good multi-player game like Stardew Valley.

I've played enough MMORPGs to have a good idea of what a multi-player Sims 5 might be like, and I don't want it. It will probably have a bunch of situations where you have to either no-life grind to get a limited-time item/skill/career/etc., or pay real money for it instead. Or worse, it makes you pay a monthly subscription fee to play it, on top of buying the base game and expansions.
  • Options
    ladybugjosie23ladybugjosie23 Posts: 166 Member
    I personally dont want multiplayer, because of what i have noticed with Star Wars the Old Republic, another game i play... where you can play it single a long while... but then later levels you suddenly cant finish stories unless you team up with others... or you dont cant go further unless you join guilds and get high gear with them... or you pay extra money and that is not even enough... oh and on top of that you have to subscribe monthly if you even want to play the higher levels... and then all the new things they add cost more and you can only get it or put it on if you are subcribed... actually if you want to change the outfit to a better one suddenly you also need to be subscribbed. Oh and surprise EA rent the star wars brand for games at the moment.... so yeah it will either require extra fees for every single little hair thing... or it will force you to team up with others to get further in the game or have you wait and stuck for a long time... and then you allow others in your game because of the forced team ups, they can mess your game up a lot...
  • Options
    gothiclolitaplgothiclolitapl Posts: 94 Member
    i feel like the multiplayer option doesn't suit the very core of the sims game. also considering how lacking sims 4 was in comparison to sims 3 and sims 2, i feel like the multiplayer option would just be a way of 'covering up' any potential lack of depth by making multiple players having to put up with each other if you will. like if it was executed well it would mean that the players would for better or worse be entertaining one another as opposed being entertained by just the game
    Origin ID: blackrosespl
    My tumblr: https://blackrose-p-sims.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I don’t want anyone mucking around in my saves, they’re mine. Everything is my way, exactly as I like it. As a caregiver for my mom who lives in her home amongst mostly her things, and drives her car, it’s literally the only space in the entire world that’s mine all mine, decorated to my taste and organized to my liking. I intend to keep it that way.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    the main reason is that online killed the simscity franchise and most players are hardcore players and played since the sims 1and as a player when i play my sims game its to escape rl and have fun and would not went other players in my game showing up, to be honest i prefer the the sims game to remain an offline game
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    I dont want a multiplayer, but I'd be okay with it as long as it wasnt JUST multiplayer. I love the single player aspect of the Sims, I always have. Its not how the sims has been, ever. Successfully, at least. They should make it a choice.
  • Options
    BradyGalaxyBradyGalaxy Posts: 306 Member
    Multiplayer just simply doesn't make sense for the game. There would be tons of features that would have to adapt (conversations, romance, etc), it would most likely be very glitchy, and, from what I've heard from many simmers, it's not a wanted feature. I want to play on my own, in my own world without anybody else besides me and the Sims.
    Proud simmer
  • Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    It's not a big deal to me as long as it's optional. I will not play with others but if some want multiplayer they should have it. (you can mod it now) I personally don't know any other people in my real life, outside of my family, who play games. I do not want my co-workers to know that I play. When I was younger I did have a lot of fun playing TSO though. Now I am older and I use The Sims to escape from my professional job and I avoid online games with a passion.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    To throw my hat in, there already exists a version of the sims as an online multi-player. It's called Second Life. Not to sound glib but try playing that and then see why we don't want it.

That's exactly how I feel! A multiplayer sims game would be nothing more than a Second Life wanna be, a virtual chat room.

I honestly don't understand why any player would actual want it to be multiplayer when TS4 was supposed to be that game. Didn't anybody learn anything from that?

In Second Life you have griefers, people that deliberately go around to annoy, harrass, and destroy your land or buildings, sometimes it literally shuts your graphics card down to the point you would need to reboot your entire system. I know, I've had it done before, I played Second Life for about 8 years.

Plus, there's no undo function, there's no saves, it's in real time. It's not really a "game", it's an online environment

But, I'm not so sure that they are talking about a true multiplayer game, when I read what the CEO said, it could be interpreted many ways. He essentially stated "social interactions and competition", so maybe what they're talking about is like with the Spark'd challenges, that type of social interactions and challenges.

I just know that I won't be a faithful fan if it does turn out to be Second Life's new sibling.
  • Options
    MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    There is this type of multiplayer where you only play with people you add as your friends, that is the type i want and not the very public type that many seem to think of when you bring up multiplayer.
  • Options
    Barbie430Barbie430 Posts: 97 Member
    Mareah wrote: »
    There is this type of multiplayer where you only play with people you add as your friends, that is the type i want and not the very public type that many seem to think of when you bring up multiplayer.
    I think the reason many of us think about the “public” type of multiplayer is because that’s what EA has done with multiple other franchises in order to make money off of micro-transactions. Personally, knowing EA’s track record, I don’t see them implementing the type of multiplayer you’re talking about. Solely because that’s not a gaming environment they can shoehorn loot boxes or other types of micro-transactions into. And that, unfortunately, has been the name of the game for EA for years now.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    If I wanted multiplayer then I would go back to SWTOR.

The MMO experience is not at all why I play The Sims 4. I do my own stories, collect mods and CC in order to wrangle the game into something that is just perfect for me. For me The Sims is me-time. Just me, being the lady of the save. When I play a MMO I’m up on voice-chat. Taking a look around at what people want to do, quests or crafting. Should we nag some friends into going for something bigger?

These two are two very very different experiences to me. I have no interest in mixing them.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    edited August 2020
    I want to play the story I want without others meddling in my sims world. When I open my game, I want it to be in the exact same moment when I last saved.

I don't know with whom I would play together. I don't know anyone in real life who plays the sims and don't want to play with complete strangers. Besides, if you play together you have to be online together and my time in game is hard enough to organise with real life and children.

An optional multi player would be OK as long as it is optional. Single player should be possible and be fully developed.
  • Options
    cherrysim_cherrysim_ Posts: 25 Member
    I don't think adding multiplayer to a game is necessary. People have been playing the Sims for years without it being multiplayer because they actually enjoy playing on their own. The last thing we need right now are microtransactions and ways to monetize everything (we know EA loves to do this).
    They should honestly just focus on the Sims 5 to make up for all the features that we wanted and that were missing in the Sims 4 instead of experimenting with multiplayer.
  • Options
    JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    If anyone wants to play multiplayer there are plenty of other games for that. But please don’t ask for sims 4 to become multiplayer. There’s no need for it . I really miss when sims wasn’t as popular & was something that was low key back in the day :/
  • Options
    MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    Barbie430 wrote: »
    Mareah wrote: »
    I think the reason many of us think about the “public” type of multiplayer is because that’s what EA has done with multiple other franchises in order to make money off of micro-transactions. Personally, knowing EA’s track record, I don’t see them implementing the type of multiplayer you’re talking about. Solely because that’s not a gaming environment they can shoehorn loot boxes or other types of micro-transactions into. And that, unfortunately, has been the name of the game for EA for years now.

Oh ok i see now where you are coming from and why would people feel negatively about multiplayer. I personally never played multiplayer games that have micro transictions and lootboxes so i dont really know how bad that can get, but i heard people complaining about this kind of stuff and i agree that i dont want it in the franchise.
  • Options
    kemowerykemowery Posts: 371 Member
    Because I want total control over my game, down to whatever mods I choose to install, how my sims interact with the world, what sims are in my world ... everything.

When I played World of Warcraft, the only time I ever played with someone else was when I was playing with my roommate, and we were in the same room. Otherwise I just pretended other people didn't exist. Same for other online games. I just have no interest at all in playing any game with the general public, or even with friends, really. I tried playing Red Dead Redemption online and RDR2, and found most of the player base seemed to be just out to shoot anyone who hoved into their field of view, whereas I wanted to pretend to be an old west person having old west adventures.

Griefing in an online Sims game would be less lethal, but no less annoying.

They already did The Sims Online back in 2002 and the players ruined it by shaking down new players for money and running online brothels. Then The Sims 4 was stripped down to almost no content when it launched because they wanted to try to make it an online game again. If they're trying to do it again, it's probably because they think they can get people to buy into more microtransactions and drive more mandatory DLC. Right now, if I don't want to get an expansion pack, it doesn't affect my existing game and at most just means I might not have all the stuff that some creators on the Gallery will use. If I don't get an expansion pack in the online game, entire parts of the game could be closed off.
  • Options
    wickichickwickichick Posts: 11,130 Member
    i think for those who would like to experiment with how they might feel about a multi player type online game ...use second life and see how that goes ...it becomes genuinely challenging in some respects ....sure, there is many more very nice folks then there is the truly evil ..that being said you do not have the same skills to differentiate between the sincerely nice and the sincerely evil as you do in a real life situation. It is too easy to experience a mixture of the two.....it can also create some issues that you need to be prepared to handle ..such as how your real life is going to intermix with your online life...believe me this can offer a range of multi-complexities you may not be prepared to handle. Every facet of life has the varied genre of "expectations" and the way you work through that can be more important then you might first consider. Will folks worry should you not be online when every Monday previously at the same time you have been..do you find yourself feeling as though you need to explain when you might be away for a particular length of time? EA is or it has been a format for both adults and teens in past releases ...online limitations can be challenging to maintain and where i don't doubt it could be done it certainly raises some questions in my mind as to how. If the sims 5 is released it would be my preference that it continue to be a community based stand alone or sandbox game. Folks can still visit either it be twitter or like here the forums to have community input but privacy when in their game. This has been the same arguments for many years now and i notice the concerns do not vary by too much even in extended time.
  • Options
    aws200aws200 Posts: 2,262 Member
    edited August 2020
    Sims 4, originally Project Olympus, was going to be an Sims Online 2 essentially.
    But after the failure of SimCity 2013 they quickly scrapped the idea of another Sims Online and in under a year, using the same resources for Project Olympus, including the engine, created The Sims 4. They used all kinds of excuses as to why the game was so restrictive and lackluster. After the bad reception they were quick to respond with three free updates to try and recover from their PR disaster. Ghosts, Star Wars costumes, and pools returning with swimwear as well.
    The majority never wanted a main entry to be a online only game, let alone a online focused with singleplayer second and basically forgotten experience. They wanted an improvement over The Sims 3, fixing its issues, taking what worked, and adding onto it. Like every entry has done, improve upon the predecessor with a true successor. Yet we never got that. Instead a technically flawed mixed bag was sold to us for $60. To this day there's so much missing. So much wasted time on milking the hollow shell The Sims 4 is via DLC (mostly in Stuff Packs).
    We don't want The Sims 5 to be multiplayer, let alone feature it. We want it to be singleplayer as it always has been for the series. If they want a multiplayer game, go make a new game as a side project. Make a new Sims Online. But keep the main entries 1-5 singleplayer as is tradition.

*Also we don't want a multiplayer game because EA will put in predatory loot boxes and expensive microtransactions to try and make more money on top of the base game, any DLC, and subscription fees. It would be a nightmare for anyone who has a wallet. More so than even the current situation with The Sims 4 and its $400+ DLC on top of a on sale $5 base game to lure you into a trap.
    1. The Sims 2
    2. The Sims 3
    3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
    4. The Sims 1
  • Options
    justice4bonehildajustice4bonehilda Posts: 185 Member
    Star Wars ip needs to rest for a time. Also having a real brand that is based on sci-fi on a reality that is also a brand its just too messy.

The only way people should accept a SW themed content is if its free. It would be like advertising, but paying for it no way.
  • Options
    BojowaSkwarkaBojowaSkwarka Posts: 6 New Member
    I'm honestly mostly scared for children meeting adults on a platform like this that has romance, woohoo and things like that
    Big no no
    There were too many instances of things like that I've hoped we grew from it as a society