Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What types of schools should we have in The Sims in the future?

I think that active schools would be cool in the future. It might fit a few play styles for some players :smile:

What types of schools though?

A single 'all age' type school like in current Sims games. TS3 has a rabbit hole for both children and teens.

A two tier type structure with an Primary or Elementary and Secondary divide. If we have preteens were would they fit?

A three tier type with Primary/ Elementary for kids, Middle or Junior High for preteens and a Senior High or Upper type school for the teens.

An 'private' type school that Sim parents have to pay for.

A scholarship type Grammar School that requires a pass to gain entry to.

I am from the UK and the system in my area was a three tier type structure of First, Middle and Secondary with the transfers at ages 8 and 12. I don't think this structure would work in The Sims though. The American type of Elementary, Middle and High with the transfers at 11 and 14 could work if we have preteens.

Any suggestions?
Simbourne
screenshot_original.jpg

Comments

• StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    I like it is now, just elementary, high school then college (optionally). A trade school would be cool. I also like the idea of private school like in TS2 with the uniform
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    I think the simpler the better. If it's realistic, school is deadly dull, like watching someone sit in a cubicle all dang day.

I prefer my Sim kids and teens not to spend their time in a school building, so they just live life, and have more time for meaningful, fun, social, and learning activities. So long as I don't have to force my teens and kids to go, I don't mind what they do, though. 😀
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    I think a 3-tier school system might get too complicated. Two is good enough. For active schools, I really love how Zerbu set up active schools (and also active careers). In his mod, sims spend the school/work hours working on skill-building items incstead of just sitting around listening to the teacher and taking notes (although, you could do that which might come in handy if you to rest between tending to your sims' activities).

For example, one of my favorite careers is the science career. So everyone who is in that profession goes to the lot I've designated for that career. In the science building I created, I put all the skill-building objects that are in Zerbu's list for that career and all the scientists will automatically use them! Your sims also get to build real relationships with your boss and co-workers rather than watch the meter go up when they work at the rabbithole version.

I haven't done that for active schools yet, but I'm pretty sure that it will be a lot of fun! The thing is, if the children's school becomes active, I highly suggest giving the parents rabbithole careers because if they are ALL active, you will be exhausted just trying to keep up with all the activity!

So for TS5, I really want something like Zerbu's active school/careers mod which can set each one individually for active or rabbithole mode.

For TS5 schools, it would be great if they set up drama like first love, cheating and broken hearts, mean girls, bullies and overcoming all those things, with different ways to deal with each one.

For example, with the mean girls, a sim could either 1) try to become like them, following the latest trends and kissing up to them, 2) become a bully and beat them up, 3) gain their respect without following them or beating them up!

For the romance, it should be more intense than adult love, where their boo is their whole world, but much more innocent - at least that was what it seemed like to me when I was that age. I don't know how else to explain it. So when your sim's boo breaks up with them, they should be crying a lot on their best friends' shoulders and moping around, writing love-sick poems and maybe eating a lot of chocolate and ice-cream sundaes, something like that, lol!

And if they do the breaking up, that it should be according to their personality. If they're evil, they won't care how their ex-boo feels and may even cackle as their ex-boo cries and falls apart. But if they are good, that they'll feel awful about the break-up! This came to mind because I remember one time, when I was going to junior high school, I as well as the rest of the 8th and 9th grades knew this popular girl was going to break up with her boyfriend. She went out with him because when he asked her out, she didn't really like him but thought that she might. However after a short while, she had come to the conclusion that she would never feel more for him so she decided that she was going to break up with him.

Somehow, and I know this wasn't her intent AT ALL, word got around that she was going to do the dirty deed after school as they walk the 3 miles or so to home (everyone had the option to take the buses, but everyone loved to walk home from school!) So as you can guess, EVERYONE (including those who normally take the buses, lol!) decided to walk home that day, lol! All eyes were on the doomed couple as we all trekked towards our homes. I couldn't hear exactly what she said because I was walking parallel from her across the street, but she was CRYING! and then they stopped. I saw a look of disbelief on her ex-boo and then HE started crying! I couldn't hear anything, but I could read her lips saying, "I'm sorry!" as tears were pouring down both of their faces....

It was such a sight to see! Very memorable and I never forgot it to this day!

Anyway, I want drama to THAT level! Lot's of emotion and watch-worthy! We also had quite a number of fights after school that were fun to attend. Sometimes the bully won which is kind of terrifying, solidifying the need to take strategic steps to avoid said bully as much as possible in the future. But it also was a feel-good story when the good guy one. Sometimes the bully could be both good and bad. I actually knew a girl who can be very good to you if she likes you, but she was part of a gang and knew how to fight. She only fought other people in gangs so I didn't have to worry since I myself wasn't in one, but I always felt that I didn't ever want to push her to find out how far I can go before she'll lose her temper.

For the romance part, one of my most favorite movies was Some Kind of Wonderful. It was about a teenage boy, Keith, from the poor side of town who was in love with a popular girl, Amanda, who was also from the poor side of town. She however, was dating a popular boy from the rich part of town and hung out with that circle. In the meanwhile, the boy has a tomboy, Watts, for a best friend who is secretly in love with him.... *Sigh* I so love that movie. I really would like something like that in TS5.

Some Kind of Wonderful Trailer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNmP7z1Eemo

This is my favorite scene from the movie! Watts somehow steals the first kiss from Keith!

Some Kind of Wonderful - The Kiss
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvBjHnx0B7E

The movie has a great sound track. It would be awesome if they sim-ified them for TS5! Or something like that!

• PolarsaurusPolarsaurus Posts: 1 New Member
    I definitely miss the private school that you had a chance to get in to for kids with an A grade, It feels like it's a plan for the future or maybe it was supposed to exist as my kids still get the promotion check once they hit A?
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I think a 3-tier school system might get too complicated. Two is good enough. For active schools, I really love how Zerbu set up active schools (and also active careers). In his mod, sims spend the school/work hours working on skill-building items incstead of just sitting around listening to the teacher and taking notes (although, you could do that which might come in handy if you to rest between tending to your sims' activities).

For example, one of my favorite careers is the science career. So everyone who is in that profession goes to the lot I've designated for that career. In the science building I created, I put all the skill-building objects that are in Zerbu's list for that career and all the scientists will automatically use them! Your sims also get to build real relationships with your boss and co-workers rather than watch the meter go up when they work at the rabbithole version.

I haven't done that for active schools yet, but I'm pretty sure that it will be a lot of fun! The thing is, if the children's school becomes active, I highly suggest giving the parents rabbithole careers because if they are ALL active, you will be exhausted just trying to keep up with all the activity!

So for TS5, I really want something like Zerbu's active school/careers mod which can set each one individually for active or rabbithole mode.

For TS5 schools, it would be great if they set up drama like first love, cheating and broken hearts, mean girls, bullies and overcoming all those things, with different ways to deal with each one.

For example, with the mean girls, a sim could either 1) try to become like them, following the latest trends and kissing up to them, 2) become a bully and beat them up, 3) gain their respect without following them or beating them up!

For the romance, it should be more intense than adult love, where their boo is their whole world, but much more innocent - at least that was what it seemed like to me when I was that age. I don't know how else to explain it. So when your sim's boo breaks up with them, they should be crying a lot on their best friends' shoulders and moping around, writing love-sick poems and maybe eating a lot of chocolate and ice-cream sundaes, something like that, lol!

And if they do the breaking up, that it should be according to their personality. If they're evil, they won't care how their ex-boo feels and may even cackle as their ex-boo cries and falls apart. But if they are good, that they'll feel awful about the break-up! This came to mind because I remember one time, when I was going to junior high school, I as well as the rest of the 8th and 9th grades knew this popular girl was going to break up with her boyfriend. She went out with him because when he asked her out, she didn't really like him but thought that she might. However after a short while, she had come to the conclusion that she would never feel more for him so she decided that she was going to break up with him.

Somehow, and I know this wasn't her intent AT ALL, word got around that she was going to do the dirty deed after school as they walk the 3 miles or so to home (everyone had the option to take the buses, but everyone loved to walk home from school!) So as you can guess, EVERYONE (including those who normally take the buses, lol!) decided to walk home that day, lol! All eyes were on the doomed couple as we all trekked towards our homes. I couldn't hear exactly what she said because I was walking parallel from her across the street, but she was CRYING! and then they stopped. I saw a look of disbelief on her ex-boo and then HE started crying! I couldn't hear anything, but I could read her lips saying, "I'm sorry!" as tears were pouring down both of their faces....

It was such a sight to see! Very memorable and I never forgot it to this day!

Anyway, I want drama to THAT level! Lot's of emotion and watch-worthy! We also had quite a number of fights after school that were fun to attend. Sometimes the bully won which is kind of terrifying, solidifying the need to take strategic steps to avoid said bully as much as possible in the future. But it also was a feel-good story when the good guy one. Sometimes the bully could be both good and bad. I actually knew a girl who can be very good to you if she likes you, but she was part of a gang and knew how to fight. She only fought other people in gangs so I didn't have to worry since I myself wasn't in one, but I always felt that I didn't ever want to push her to find out how far I can go before she'll lose her temper.

For the romance part, one of my most favorite movies was Some Kind of Wonderful. It was about a teenage boy, Keith, from the poor side of town who was in love with a popular girl, Amanda, who was also from the poor side of town. She however, was dating a popular boy from the rich part of town and hung out with that circle. In the meanwhile, the boy has a tomboy, Watts, for a best friend who is secretly in love with him.... *Sigh* I so love that movie. I really would like something like that in TS5.

Interesting story about the break up!

We had a few clashes at my school but it was very pecking order centric. There were guys you did not want to fall out with but they would not bother you if you kept out of their way. There were a few bullies who would try to torment us but as they got older some of them grew out of it as they were clashing with people who went to different schools and they were not interesting in us anymore. It was hard going for the girls though as some girls were very confrontational. I have Sims stories that I shared on here with influences from when I was at school.

I have not heard of that film myself but it could make an interesting gameplay for The Sims. If we had a school based EP with could have these kinds of situations which could be interesting to play out if the player wishes to do so. It does feel a bit too easy for a Sim teen to go to school, meet another teen and be friends with them and get married once they hit YA. It does not normally work out like that in the real world!
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Anyway I am going to copy these over from what I shared in another thread but it shows that we can make a school envrionment in The Sims but it does not always play out that way:

TS3 University Life

SL47Bxf.jpg

'A few years earlier'

8Ec6vkr.jpg

n4cr4J0.jpg

Classrooms:

AHkmrCb.jpg

hYsBcZ9.jpg

YofWPil.jpg

PqrQP5e.jpg

Workshops:

cuebbyG.jpg

ryiGFrZ.jpg
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    An active school sounds cool but i heard here in the forum recently an idea ablut having an active boarding school. I'ld love to play it. For teens and with special characteristics.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    Preschools, Elementary, Junior High, Highschool, Art School, Preforming Arts School &
    Parenting Classes.
  • PatricePatrice Posts: 361 Member
    How about skill schools, trade schools?
    telmarina wrote: »
    An active school sounds cool but i heard here in the forum recently an idea ablut having an active boarding school. I'ld love to play it. For teens and with special characteristics.

That idea might be popular with Harry Potter fans :smile:

Make your own Hogwarts?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    What shall our schools look like in The Sims?

I say go for some 1930s style buildings like some of the TS3 rabbit holes :smile:

Preston Manor

Name: Preston Manor High, Wembley
    Date: 1938
    Architect: Middlesex County Council
    Borough: Brent
    Listing:
    Notes: Middlesex County Council designed school that opened in 1938 as Preston Manor County Grammar School. It was used as an Air Raid Precautions (ARP) control centre during World War II.

3915479.jpg?804

yeWwqYs.jpg

Lady Bankes

Name: Lady Bankes School
    Date: 1936
    Architect: Curtis and Burchett
    Borough: Hillingdon
    Listing: Grade II

8877650_orig.jpg

Venice High

Los Angeles school built 1935 and appears in Grease. Said to been earthquake resistant school to replace a former that had been destoryed.

grease_venice1.jpg

Kemp Welch

1938 senior school. Architect was Charles Goodacre. Demolished 2012-2013

7G4f511.png

x9BoZZT.jpg

Henry Harbin#

Now called Poole High. Similer to the Kemp Welch School but some differences. Likely same architect

shqqbr0.png

Bournemouth School

A boys grammar school. Moved here in 1939

3GBhEr8.jpg

Crow Island

Chicago school actually built in 1940. Seems very influential

1280px-Crow_Island_School.jpg

Crow_Island_Plan.jpg
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member

Somehow they all look like high security prisons. :D

Somehow they all look like high security prisons. :D

:D The school I went to had that done to it when they started putting cameras all over the place and new fences around :D
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Lol. Our schools are usually U-shaped buildings with a sports field in the center. :D
    Lol. Our schools are usually U-shaped buildings with a sports field in the center. :D

British schools are varied. I have taught myself some of the terms used.

'Central Hall'

'Quadrangle'

'Double Quadrangle'

'Butterfly'

'Finger Plan'

'Clusters'

One of the schools I went to was a quadrangle. It is the floor plan I shared here.

An original picture of the quad can be seen here:

5941466298_b2d89a04b6_b.jpg
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I don't mind the way it is now. Elementary then high school. Would I like private schools back? Sure, but I don't think we need anything more than that
  • Cavapoo_KingCavapoo_King Posts: 5,148 Member
    I really want private schools because all my sims end up rich
    My record is 2.7 million
    Gallery ID: cavapoo_king
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    I think that active schools would be cool in the future. It might fit a few play styles for some players :smile:

What types of schools though?

A single 'all age' type school like in current Sims games. TS3 has a rabbit hole for both children and teens.

A two tier type structure with an Primary or Elementary and Secondary divide. If we have preteens were would they fit?

A three tier type with Primary/ Elementary for kids, Middle or Junior High for preteens and a Senior High or Upper type school for the teens.

An 'private' type school that Sim parents have to pay for.

A scholarship type Grammar School that requires a pass to gain entry to.

I am from the UK and the system in my area was a three tier type structure of First, Middle and Secondary with the transfers at ages 8 and 12. I don't think this structure would work in The Sims though. The American type of Elementary, Middle and High with the transfers at 11 and 14 could work if we have preteens.

Any suggestions?

I'd like to see online schooling from preschool through college/university.

Private school preschool through university

Military school

Reform School because Mila Munch loves her son Wolfgang but he skips school and runs with gangs. She is a working mom and not a rich lady like Judith Ward or Nancy Landgraab. She is almost ready to put him into Juvenile Hall and let the system deal with his out of control horrible behaviour. If only there was a reform school for the bad kids like Wolfgang maybe Mila could start taking care of herself. Start dating again and marry somebody super hot like Don Lothario or Penny Pizzazz (she might be into women so let's not judge her).

Art Schools if you have ever watched the movie Fame you know what I'm talking about. I spent some of my childhood in NYC and the one school though it taught state-required classes is focused on the arts.

LBGTQ schools. In my area, we have an LBGTQ high school so that kids in the LBGTQ community aren't bullied and forced to hide who they are to fit in.

Montessori

Charter Schools

Community Colleges

Parochial Schools because some simmers might want to have a school that focuses on religion alongside state-required classes.

Gifted Schools

Schools like PEP Positive Education Program that focuses on kids with ADHD, Autism and learning disabilites

Schools for kids with disabilites (visually impaired, hearing impaired etc.

Homeschooling

I think I covered all bases.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited June 2020
    drakharis wrote: »
    LBGTQ schools. In my area, we have an LBGTQ high school so that kids in the LBGTQ community aren't bullied and forced to hide who they are to fit in.

What does this school mean? Its for gay people only? Or like it especially promotes lbtqa? I don't understand. Ive seen schools with like rainbow flags on the outside is that what they are?

Also why would that be necessary in the sims if there is no bullying

I also can remember what montessori schools are is it just like with no textbook
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
    drakharis wrote: »

What does this school mean? Its for gay people only? Or like it especially promotes lbtqa? I don't understand. Ive seen schools with like rainbow flags on the outside is that what they are?

Also why would that be necessary in the sims if there is no bullying

I also can remember what montessori schools are is it just like with no textbook

There are no LBGTQ Sims in my game :wink:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Marduc_PlaysMarduc_Plays Posts: 416 Member
    Standard one for all school as a rabbit hole, with the option paying for private school, also rabbit hole, with basegame.

Expansion-wise i'd like an "active career" (paid) boarding school pack, separated between kids and teens, with the option to go home for the weekends. (with scholarships for poor families.)

Parcour - the art of jumping to conclusions.