Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you build a garage or an attic ?

Hi,

I think a garage and an attic are good places to store the things you don't often use like the holiday decorations.

So I'm curious to know if you build these rooms too.

Do you build a garage or an attic ?

Do you build a garage or an attic ? 182 votes

Yes, both
20%
lisamwittKelleygirlMontrase102StrangerthanelanorbretonmercuryfoamJestTruMindofysmurf45bluesikasika18GirklGracieO312SailorCetiAnnLee87DoloresGreyWaytoomanyUIDsgarapoesScobreColton147147Pamtastic72 37 votes
Yes, only a garage
11%
LeGardePourpreIceyJFairyGodMotherPegasystaydevxMyrtheHarukotyancatitude5ChadSims2Internal_ChaosRebbilinasimgamethenightcourtGrumpyGlowfishwhatacatchdsofasimQueenofMyshunoAngie1301simsplayer86Reaganbogan 21 votes
Yes, only an attic
17%
crocobaurabshag4lvGoldmoldarjeepjeepcatAnnie2008BloosmooKementariWyrrenKirbySkywalkerRavager619FLauriebixtersSindocatannaliese39TechbiltSigzy05leo3487MDianaSimsSimtown15RedShoe7 32 votes
No but there is a storage room
21%
CK213PlayerSinger2010Simburiansimgirl1010Paigeisin5MiaSkywalkerladybreidAquariusMomRamblineRoseTeeSeajak135papertongueA_MomDaraviXMachiaXQueenMercyKathykinsKarababy52happygurlillustratedhappiness 39 votes
No, nothing is stored
29%
GalacticGalIcewolfsims2freak737shadyladynzMeteoraStormfriendlysimmersslamondaBluelledavina1221spice3ChampandGirlieLoriTSpSelinaKyles5782341b77vlSavvySimmieOnversertexxx78AngelEb95wrswrs2BlueSargent300 53 votes

Comments

• KirbySkywalkerKirbySkywalker Posts: 511 Member
    Yes, only an attic
    Not all the time, but sometimes. The only useful item in there is the house decorating box from seasons.
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    No, nothing is stored
    Neither, but next time I might create a storage room. Thanks for the interesting idea!
  • Vivi_WillowTreeVivi_WillowTree Posts: 451 Member
    Yes, only an attic
    My sims are pack rats so yes an attic or bare basement is a nessesidy. Christmas tree, seasons lawn decor, decorating box, toddler and kids stuff (just in case I want more babies), party decorations just to name a few. I know it would be easier to sell everything and rebuy but it's a hassle to some extent.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    Yes, only an attic
    I don't always build an attic, but if the roofing allows for it, I sometimes will. Usually my attics are more functional than just storage space, but then, so are my basements (and I build a lot of basements) But one or the other will usually have the deco box, at least. I mostly use the household storage for actual storage.

I'll probably build more garages now that I've figured out how to do split level (I kinda knew anyway, but I watched a youtube vid confirming that my plan would work.). But they'll almost always double as workrooms too. At least until we get cars. :smiley:
  • MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    I don't build attics because I don't know how to make a decent one. The roofing is what gives me trouble. So, I build a 7x7 basement when I have a Sim working on The Curator aspiration and I need to store a specific collection or two while the collection is in progress. I've also built basements on narrow lots when I need an additional bedroom that doesn't fit on the second floor.
  • peragogoperagogo Posts: 223 Member
    Yes, both
    Not every lot has one, the other or both but a fair number do. I like having some stuff in visual storage but other things like the slip and slide don’t work well put away like that. Attics or basements sometimes get upgraded to be an in law suite.

Garages also future proof a house a little, just in case we get cars someday. I also made laundry rooms before Laundry Day came out. For now, they usually have a live edit car and either the woodwork bench, flower arrangement table or a laundry area.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Yes, both
    Yes not with all builds but it is fun to build garages and attics.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • sarabeth2984sarabeth2984 Posts: 849 Member
    Yes, only an attic
    I do store stuff in the attic, but now bikes, I may start building a storage shed. Attics work better I think because sims are less likely to use items you store there
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    Yes, only an attic
    I often build attics, but rarely use them for storage though. That's what the household inventory is for.
    I try to avoid building garages, but the vast majority of blueprints I use have 2 or 3 car garages. I usually divide those up in actual rooms when I can.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    No, nothing is stored
    I made a garage once and then I realized how ridiculous it was because we didn't have cars. I was using that graffiti wall thing that came in CL as a garage door. Never made an attic because why?

Anyway, I hope cars come soon. I miss em
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    I never have room to make attics, which is sad because I love them. Hopefully, people will start making more houses with attics once we get ladders.

No garages until we get cars. I don't want to waste space on what would essentially be useless.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Yes, only an attic
    I never build garages because there are no cars. I also never quite build attics either because most of the time the space is too small to be playable. If the roof height allows it, I sometimes place stuff in the "attic space" under the roof, usually winter decorations and Christmas trees, baby furniture, etc. But most of the time I just put them in the household inventory.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    No, nothing is stored
    But now you're giving me ideas 😂 but im more inclined to an attic or a basement than a garage.
  • ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    Yes, both
    Nearly always do some kind of storage room to hide the ugly decorations box as a minimum (no decent swatches for some reason, and this item is pretty mandatory on every lot as holiday decorations auto spawn everywhere?) Either an attic, basement or garage. It’s also fun “converting” these kinda rooms into bedrooms or games rooms etc
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,881 Member
    I usually have a basement room for collections. Or a generic museum if I have many sims collecting in a save.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    No, nothing is stored
    I haven't really done this but I'm not against the idea.
  • StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    No, nothing is stored
    Never thought about that, so no, I have neither. Thanks for the tip though, a storage room sounds like a good idea. :smile:
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    Yes, only an attic
    And also basement that usually my Sims's secret lair.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    Yes, only a garage
    I often have to build a garage to fill up empty space because most of the lots are too big for my liking, and I don't want to leave the space completely unused. It's usually filled with a fake car, paintable City Living shutters on both sides of the wall facing the street, a woodworking table and/or robotics workstation, and sometimes laundry stuff.
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Yes, both
    I don't always build storage spaces but I do like to add garages to my builds. In my main save, my primary family has an attic too that's sort of a storage space. Previously they had that space in a basement.

With ladders coming soon, I think the number of attics in my builds might increase lol
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,406 Member
    When I need storage, I build a storage room at ground level or a basement. Only occasionally this storage room is an attic. But never a garage because they seem rather pointless without a car.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Yes, only an attic
    I make an attic as making an garage for an feature that does not exist and may never is pointless for me.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,175 Member
    edited May 2020
    Yes, only a garage
    @Goldmoldar

And the bikes ? Where are they in the house ?
    The garage is also a good place for crafting or scientist/engineer activities.

When the rock band feature will be back, it can become a band rehearsal space.

A garage doesn't need a car and a car doesn't need a garage (parked outside)
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Yes, only an attic
    I build attics occasionally, when my roof supports the space for enclosed rooms within, but usually these become studios or activity spaces, not storage.
  • SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 961 Member
    I built garages in The Sims 1 and The Sims 2 for appearances (I also had laundry rooms, sometimes), but as time's gone on I haven't bothered with that so much. I often built basements, though: they're so easy to manage now compared to TS2 that it's an easy way to expand the house without filling the lot.